2022-2023 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just want to know how many people are on the waitlist. I mean it has to be at least 10 from a previous post on this thread, but like how many of us are there haha? I'm trying to be real about my chances of getting off the waitlist. I got an email today about applying to the MSB program, did anyone else?
I’m also waitlisted and got the MSB program email today too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I also got the MSB program email and it was pretty tempting just as a back up plan. Is anyone thinking of applying to it or could it possibly hurt chances of acceptance to the DO program?

I also got the MSB program email and it was pretty tempting just as a back up plan. Is anyone thinking of applying to it or could it possibly hurt chances of acceptance to the DO program?
Honestly, I was thinking it sounded tempting too. The only reservations I have is its a decent amount of money and I feel like it *could* hurt one's chances, but I really don't know. I'm just hoping we all get that acceptance call soon>>>>

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It will not hurt your chances! Someone was supposed to start the master's program with us, and then got pulled off the wait-list literally the day before orientation for medical school! The reason was the school already knew they'd be willing to drop everything and move to Arkansas because they were already planning on moving for the master's program.

Just a tidbit

I know getting those emails is usually really irritating, like I want to get into med school, not a master's! But if worse comes to worse and you were rejected, then the master's program is a bridge program to the DO and other programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know of a groupchat for accepted students?

I was accepted and have to turn in the matriculation paperwork by June 1st, I already accepted my seat but I am also on the waitlist for other schools that make more sense for me to attend due to personal reasons. If I turn in the matriculation paperwork with my vaccine records and drug test, will I be forced to attend or can I still give away my seat if I am pulled from the waitlist at the other school?

I was accepted and have to turn in the matriculation paperwork by June 1st, I already accepted my seat but I am also on the waitlist for other schools that make more sense for me to attend due to personal reasons. If I turn in the matriculation paperwork with my vaccine records and drug test, will I be forced to attend or can I still give away my seat if I am pulled from the waitlist at the other school?

You can still withdraw. I’m also on the WL for other schools. I just paid a deposit for off campus housing. I’m waiting until June 1st to make the final decision, but I’m ready to go to Arkansas with all my paperwork and housing. The only school I would change my mind for is my state school that is close by.

You can still withdraw. I’m also on the WL for other schools. I just paid a deposit for off campus housing. I’m waiting until June 1st to make the final decision, but I’m ready to go to Arkansas with all my paperwork and housing. The only school I would change my mind for is my state school that is close by.
Same here, waiting to see what happens for me. ARCOM is a fantastic school, but waiting to see if I get off the WL for a school that makes more sense for me and my family.

It looks like ARCOM is taking a little longer than last year in filling up the WAITLISTed candidates, is that just me or everyone feels the same

It looks like ARCOM is taking a little longer than last year in filling up the WAITLISTed candidates, is that just me or everyone feels the same
YESSS OMG. I hate to be impatient, but it is tortureeeeee. I heard almost every single person got off of the waitlist last year, but I have significantly less confidence in that statement now that I've been on it for 5 months : /

Congratulations on everyone who has been accepted to ARCOM class of 2027!! I'll be starting OMS2 year this fall, so if you guys have any questions about ARCOM, 1st year, fort smith, stress, etc feel free to reach out!

Congratulations on everyone who has been accepted to ARCOM class of 2027!! I'll be starting OMS2 year this fall, so if you guys have any questions about ARCOM, 1st year, fort smith, stress, etc feel free to reach out!
For some reason it won't let me message you! Sorry, kinda new to sdn lol

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason it won't let me message you! Sorry, kinda new to sdn lol
Sorry I rarely use SDN too. If anyone can show me how to enable messaging pls lmk!! :)

Same! won't let me message you, but if you could summarize your experience at Arcom thus far, and anything you wish were different that would be great. Also, how the camaraderie in the class is, and how easy it is to make friends. Thanks:)
Take my experience w a grain of salt bc everyone's experiences are going to be different, but personally, I really enjoyed my time at ARCOM thus far. Most of the faculty and staff are very welcoming and are very eager to help you. It's a very tight knit community, school and Ft Smith wise, so everyone enjoys each other's company. As yall of yall might be aware, med school is a totally different ballgame compared to undergrad, so be prepared on day one! My class is not cut throat, all of us want to see each other succeed and we collaborate w each other heavy. That being said, making friends is easy but I encourage yall to only study w a handful of ppl.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a groupme for accepted students? I've decided to attend ARCOM officially. I don't want to wait anymore to get off a WL.
Im excited to start!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Does ARCOM have its own residency program or a really strong tie to one?
Yes, they started their own IM and FM programs at Mercy in Fort Smith and PBRMC in Poplar Bluff, MO. Those programs are listed under ARCOM on the ACGME (the residency accrediting body) website. Also, strong ties to Unity Health in Searcy with the residency programs in IM, FM, EM, Psych.

Accepted off the waitlist today. Can someone share the link to the group me please? Thank you 😊

• Love
Hello everyone,
I’ve been accepted since August and I would love to meet my future classmates! Can anyone add me to the groupme?

Can any first-years, share what their schedules looked like and what days were mostly mandatory?
Guest speakers are mandatory attendance, if there's a lab associated for OPP/FOPC it's also mandatory, FAS and BECOM is not mandatory unless you have less than 80% in a testing block.

Also this is a random week in February, I was comparing MSB and OMS1 with someone else.

The Large OMS1 chunks are the Teams links, you can ignore those.

1685654425196.png

Does anyone know if ARCOM has tutoring? Also, how it works with getting involved with research

Does anyone know if ARCOM has tutoring? Also, how it works with getting involved with research
Tutoring? Yes, usually by students that have done well in their courses who signed up to get paid to tutor.

Research? If you’re interested in a topic or have an idea in mind, it can be as simple as going to a professor’s office and talk about it. Research is open and available to any student who wants to participate. Usually current professors already have their own projects already going, so it may help to find out what you’re interested in, so you can approach the right person.

Edit: When I was a OMS1 there was also a summer 2500 dollar grant you could apply for if you planned to stay on campus to do research during the summer between OMS1 and 2. Not sure if this is still going on.

Last edited:
Tutoring? Yes, usually by students that have done well in their courses who signed up to get paid to tutor.

Research? If you’re interested in a topic or have an idea in mind, it can as simple as going to a professor’s office and talk about it. Research is open and available to any student who wants to participate. Usually current professors already have their own projects already going, so it may help to find out what you’re interested in, so you can approach the right person.

Edit: When I was a OMS1 there was also a summer 2500 dollar grant you could apply to if you planned to stay on campus to do research during the summer of OMS1 and 2. Not sure if this is still going on.
I see, and what about mentors and helping you trying to get into a specialty?

I see, and what about mentors and helping you trying to get into a specialty?
Best way to find those will be to join clubs for specialty interest who should have mentors, some who will have matched after graduating from ARCOM into that specialty

Does ARCOM use nbme exams? or house exams, and are their ""blocks" system based?

Last edited:
Can any first-years, share what their schedules looked like and what days were mostly mandatory?
Mostly have lectures in the mornings until lunch break, and then you have lab in the afternoons. OPP on Tues, FOPC on Thurs or Fri, and Anatomy lab sprinkled throughout the week. Labs, SPs, and SIM labs are absolutely mandatory.

Does ARCOM use nbme exams? or house exams, and are their ""blocks" system based?
Only a small handful of DO schools use NBME exams. ARCOM is not one of them.

ARCOM has traditional curriculum structure (1st year = normal, 2nd year = abnormal/pathology). Hence, the no NBME. They call it systems based, but it isn’t. At least not what people mean when they say “systems based.”

Anyone here waiting to be accepted after getting interviewed in Feb/March 2023?

Does anyone know where we can find data in regards to match? Like how many people went through SOAP? Just more detail about the match rate which they say is 99%

Does anyone know where we can find data in regards to match? Like how many people went through SOAP? Just more detail about the match rate which they say is 99%
They won't publish pre-SOAP data. Us students have asked for this info but have been repeatedly shut down. :(

They won't publish pre-SOAP data. Us students have asked for this info but have been repeatedly shut down. :(
And why should they? Transparency? Huge swaths of MD schools don’t even publish that. You can’t even interpret pre-SOAP data… Did the Individual not match because??? Who knows. I know for a fact some people had to SOAP because they got high on their own supply and punched way above their weight limit. How are supposed to tease that out. Their game plan was so egregious they’re lucky they even matched at all.

The tragedies are in the people that matched and matched well beneath their station and potential. These sad stories rest on the shoulders of the school.

If anything not publishing the pre-SOAP placement saves face for your upperclassmen, not the school.

Reactions: 4 users
Would anyone who was recently accepted off the waitlist share whether you are IS or OOS? If you are OOS are you in the specified states that they favor, or somewhere outside of those states. Thank you!

Can someone please PM me for accepted students group me

Hello, I’ve also been accepted at ARCOM would anyone please be able to PM me the group me? Thanks!