2021-2022 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2021-2022 UIWSOM Secondary Essay Prompts (unchanged from last year)
All are 200 words limit
1) Explain your understanding of osteopathic medicine and your interest in pursuing this pathway to becoming a physician.
2) UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?
3) Please describe your preparation for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Include any tools you may have used to prepare, length of study time, practice exams, etc…
4) If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied? (If applicable)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know the percentage of students who go to residency in Texas after UIW?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they actually require a year of inorganic? or is gen chem okay to fill this pre-req?

Do they actually require a year of inorganic? or is gen chem okay to fill this pre-req?
I did a bit of digging around bc I had a similar question. Gen Chem falls under inorganic so it should be fine. Once verified, I think they changed my subject from “inorganic” to “chemistry”. Best of luck!

• Care
Does anyone know my chances at this school? I applied once in 2019 with 3.4/497 and got an R - gonna be applying again this cycle with 3.3 SMP GPA from one of the better DO's and taking MCAT again this week - hoping for 503+

I didn't get either email yet from them? Did you
No, I just saw on last year’s thread that people were getting an email before a secondary, so I was surprised someone actually received a secondary today.

Received just the email "saying they received [my] application". OOS. Verified on AACOMAS 5/30/21

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
true secondary recieved today same as last years prompts
Did you receive the link to secondary, I only got one email about the application being accepted?

Would you mind sharing the prompt?

Does anyone know if interviews will be virtual or in person yet?

I am a reapplicant and decided to see if I could login with my old info and was able to. It shows that I have been invited to submit a secondary that is due in 2 weeks, but have not received a communication about submitting a secondary. So I am just going to hold off.

I am a reapplicant and decided to see if I could login with my old info and was able to. It shows that I have been invited to submit a secondary that is due in 2 weeks, but have not received a communication about submitting a secondary. So I am just going to hold off.
So I got an email yesterday a few hours after I posted this that they would like for me to submit a secondary.

Received email to submit the supplemental app today!

Anyone familiar with UIW's timeline of interview invites? August-September?

How do we designate with letter of recommendation fills which criteria? I have 6 letters total but only 3 of them pertain to the ones that they are asking for.

anyone not submit your secondary within 2 exact weeks? i missed that in the application instructions. i'm right at 14 business days, but i received my secondary 6/29 and submitted it today. totally on me i know, just thought i'd ask and give everyone a heads up in case you missed it.

anyone not submit your secondary within 2 exact weeks? i missed that in the application instructions. i'm right at 14 business days, but i received my secondary 6/29 and submitted it today. totally on me i know, just thought i'd ask and give everyone a heads up in case you missed it.
I think you should be more than fine.

I saw that this school is a Christian school. Should I still apply if I am Agnostic? I really want to be in the San Antonio area, I am just not really religious

I saw that this school is a Christian school. Should I still apply if I am Agnostic? I really want to be in the San Antonio area, I am just not really religious
will say from what i've read online its in the catholic tradition, which i think is certainly less strict or confrontational about belief systems than i would think a baptist / 7th day adventist / evangelical school would be. as long as you can abide by the code of conduct (which i don't think is as extreme as some other school), i think you could talk about respecting the perspective of people from a wide variety of faith histories or lack there of!

Apply! I am not religious at all- didn’t grow up with one but I talked to admissions about it and they said faith won’t come up unless you bring it up. When addressing the secondary about faith, they recommended talking about how you respect all faiths, hold faith/ hope in people etc. They said most of the successful essays about faith don’t actually mention religion or specific personal beliefs.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if interviews will be virtual or in person yet?
Not sure if someone else answered but they said it will be optional- you can choose virtual or in person. No favoritism either way they say.

Anyone else receive their secondary the full four weeks after application received email. Not sure why they took so long to get me the secondary when others already got theirs.

Anyone else receive their secondary the full four weeks after application received email. Not sure why they took so long to get me the secondary when others already got theirs.
Are you waiting on an MCAT score, by any chance? I submitted June 11th, verified June 14th, but I was still waiting on my MCAT score from June 4th. UIWSOM sent an email to me saying that my app was on hold until my scores came in. That was on June 21st. My secondary wasn't sent until July 14th, a week after score release. Not quite four weeks exactly but I definitely feel like the lack of MCAT score held it up initially.

Are you waiting on an MCAT score, by any chance? I submitted June 11th, verified June 14th, but I was still waiting on my MCAT score from June 4th. UIWSOM sent an email to me saying that my app was on hold until my scores came in. That was on June 21st. My secondary wasn't sent until July 14th, a week after score release. Not quite four weeks exactly but I definitely feel like the lack of MCAT score held it up initially.
I submitted the first day and already had my mcat score from last cycle

I submitted the first day and already had my mcat score from last cycle
I submitted on 28 June and haven't received one yet. They do send a secondary to everyone right? Hopefully I haven't already been screened...

I submitted on 28 June and haven't received one yet. They do send a secondary to everyone right? Hopefully I haven't already been screened...
I got my secondary the day after I submitted (like 2 days ago). The email said since I met their minimum requirements they sent me one. Did you not meet the minimum requirements??? If that’s not the issue then i have no idea :(

I got my secondary the day after I submitted (like 2 days ago). The email said since I met their minimum requirements they sent me one. Did you not meet the minimum requirements??? If that’s not the issue then i have no idea :(
what are their min requirements?

what are their min requirements?
As far as I can tell from their website, their isn't a minimum GPA and/or MCAT but they state that a C minus in any of the prerequisites do not meet the minimum requirements (C and above).

Are you instate?