2022-2023 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.87 Cumulative 3.68 science & a low MCAT of 495 but I have an excess of leadership experience and extracurriculars with lots of clinical hours. My MCAT has really held me back.

I felt like my interview went really well and consider myself a pretty decent interviewer. I connect really well with their mission so that dominated my interview time. I enjoyed myself!
Congratulations! Best of luck to you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
3.87 Cumulative 3.68 science & a low MCAT of 495 but I have an excess of leadership experience and extracurriculars with lots of clinical hours. My MCAT has really held me back.

I felt like my interview went really well and consider myself a pretty decent interviewer. I connect really well with their mission so that dominated my interview time. I enjoyed myself!
I have a similar background. MCAT sitting higher, but GPA a tad lower than yours. I also think the experience made the interview very easy to work with, but I also am waitlisted now.

A little bit late, but I withdrew my acceptance here a little while ago, and I hope it goes to one of the many other deserving folks who applied here.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there have been acceptances recently or if the past few interview dates were essentially just for a spot on the WL

I really appreciate it when schools are upfront and honest about whether you're interviewing for an open seat or waitlist. I wish all schools would do that.

I was watching the Match day live stream for ARCOM. They had someone that matched Derm and another that matched IR.

Here is the video in case ppl want to watch it.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Why isnt there a clear cut way to see what program they matched at?

Why isnt there a clear cut way to see what program they matched at?
The match literally happened yesterday. Besides the youtube video and social media posts, you won’t find anything else anywhere until the school compiles them and post them on their website which is usually like a few months later for most DO schools. Here are a few notable matches from this year that I was able to compile if that interest you:

Dermatology- Health Partners Minneapolis
IR - penn state
Orthopedic surg - ETSU
Diagnostic radiology - Tulane
IM - Dartmouth, SLU, UMMC, U Alabama Huntsville, cleaveland clinic south pointe, UTMB
EM - OU, UT San antonio, UMKC, Virginia tech, Albany, KU
Psych - Albany, SLU, OSU
Anesthesia- U Missouri Columbia, OU
Pathology - Loyola, Baylor, KU
Peds - Wash U, Baylor, UAMS
FM - Brown, SIU, U Alabama Tuscaloosa, Texas tech
PM&R - Wash U
Neuro - LSU NOLA, U Missouri Columbia
Gen surg - Texas tech, UAMS

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
The match literally happened yesterday. Besides the youtube video and social media posts, you won’t find anything else anywhere until the school compiles them and post them on their website which is usually like a few months later for most DO schools. Here are a few notable matches I was able to compile if that interest you:

Dermatology- Health Partners Minneapolis
IR - penn state
Orthopedic surg - ETSU
Diagnostic radiology - Tulane
IM - Dartmouth, SLU, UMMC, U Alabama Huntsville, cleaveland clinic south pointe, UTMB
EM - OU, UT San antonio, UMKC, Texas tech, Virginia tech, Albany, KU
Psych - Albany, SLU, OSU
Anesthesia- U Missouri Columbia, OU
Pathology - Loyola, Baylor, KU
Peds - Wash U, Baylor, UAMS
FM - Brown, SIU, U Alabama Tuscaloosa
PM&R - Wash U
Neuro - LSU NOLA, U Missouri Columbia
Gen surg - Texas tech, UAMS
Appreciate that, I know it happened yesterday. I mean like the other years, but appreciate your msg regardless

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlisted and feeling pretty defeated at this point...

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Don't feel defeated! Last year waitlist movement moved REALLY quickly and so many people got off the waitlist! I know it's not the best feeling in the world, but just keep your head up! Feel free to dm if you need any motivation or have any questions!

Does anyone know if they are starting to offer seats to people on the waitlist yet as people decline their acceptances? I know typical movement isn't until May, but with people giving up seats I wonder if they are starting to offer those seats now or if they just wait until May and then start allocating more seats that others have given up at that time? Playing the waiting game sucks :/ I want to start planning to move and get prepped like yesterday, not right before classes start.

I know someone who wasn't accepted until the week before school started. Not ideal moving-wise, but definitely don't lose hope until the very end. If you truly want to attend this school, consider writing a letter of interest if you haven't already

Does anyone know if it is worth applying now?
Do you mean fill out a secondary? If so yes, that is the schools way of giving out interview invites. If you mean a primary application, then the answer is no.

The application cycle starts in May and schools start interviewing as early as July. Schools will stop interviewing as early as March, but some go into April or even May. The deadline for most DO schools has passed already, including ARCOM (3/1). There are maybe 1 or 2 schools with a deadline of 4/1, e.g. ICOM, but I know for a fact that as of mid-January they were already full and only interviewing for their waitlist. This may not be what you want to hear, but realistically, if you are only starting applications now you are most likely not matriculating this Fall. If you are serious about applying to medical school, I would start getting your application ready for the next cycle, which will begin in 2 months. IMO, that would be a much better and more productive use of your time, energy, and money than trying to apply to the few places that are still accepting applications. Use the time to boost your application and profile, add more experiences to your resume, give yourself the best chance to get into programs you are really interested in, your top choice programs rather than limiting yourself to only the few programs accepting apps this late! Best of luck, friend :).

Does anyone know if it is worth applying now?
Hey, the admissions office pushed back their deadline. The primary application is now due on March 31st. I recently applied on March 15th. My application was verified on March 16th. I was told it was also too late by peers, and to apply this late in the cycle, you are taking a real gamble. However, you can decide to give it your all this cycle or wait for the next.
Also, I spoke with the admissions office before applying. They encouraged me to apply, but they told me to apply immediately. They will stop interviewing at the end of March.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea how many spots are potentially open? Received interview invite this week but am not sure if I should go

Does anyone have any idea how many spots are potentially open? Received interview invite this week but am not sure if I should go
If you haven't received an A yet and would accept a spot at ARCOM if they gave you a seat, I'd go regardless of the number of spots open. If you've passed the second round of applications and received an interview then you have just as good of a chance at getting a seat as the people who interviewed earlier in the cycle. Don't let that discourage you from attending the interview, whether it's an interview at ARCOM or another institution. If you've already received an A somewhere else and would prefer that school over ARCOM, then I'd be less inclined to attend the interview

If you haven't received an A yet and would accept a spot at ARCOM if they gave you a seat, I'd go regardless of the number of spots open. If you've passed the second round of applications and received an interview then you have just as good of a chance at getting a seat as the people who interviewed earlier in the cycle. Don't let that discourage you from attending the interview, whether it's an interview at ARCOM or another institution. If you've already received an A somewhere else and would prefer that school over ARCOM, then I'd be less inclined to attend the interview
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I've been accepted into a program at my number one school that is an acceptance for next year (aug 2024). The offer is conditional on getting good grades in a graduate certificate program for this year so I'm just weighing how much I value getting in this year at a second choice school when I'm essentially confirmed for next year at my number one

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I've been accepted into a program at my number one school that is an acceptance for next year (aug 2024). The offer is conditional on getting good grades in a graduate certificate program for this year so I'm just weighing how much I value getting in this year at a second choice school when I'm essentially confirmed for next year at my number one
This is really going to come down to personal preferences because ARCOM statistically has a higher acceptance rate for students who interview, (or so I hear). If you attend the ARCOM interview, consider whether you'd actually attend the school on the assumption that you get accepted. If the school you plan on attending is an MD school, I would honestly heavily consider attending that school over ARCOM, especially because it's your #1. MD schools will (almost) always have preference for competitive residencies over DO schools if you plan on doing something other than fam med, peds, etc, especially if there's a very specific program you're trying to get into. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to attend the interview, except maybe losing some $$$ incase they're not doing virtual interviews anymore

This is really going to come down to personal preferences because ARCOM statistically has a higher acceptance rate for students who interview, (or so I hear). If you attend the ARCOM interview, consider whether you'd actually attend the school on the assumption that you get accepted. If the school you plan on attending is an MD school, I would honestly heavily consider attending that school over ARCOM, especially because it's your #1. MD schools will (almost) always have preference for competitive residencies over DO schools if you plan on doing something other than fam med, peds, etc, especially if there's a very specific program you're trying to get into. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to attend the interview, except maybe losing some $$$ incase they're not doing virtual interviews anymore
++ just to add on to this, have a look at both of their match lists and look at placements into programs in fields of your interest!

I don't know what your other school is, but here is ARCOM:
2021: https://arcom.achehealth.edu/wp-con...o2021-ARCOM-GME-Residency-Placement-FINAL.pdf
2022: https://arcom.achehealth.edu/wp-con...o2022-ARCOM-GME-Residency-Placement-FINAL.pdf

Well thanks I appreciate that. I think I’m going to go and learn more about it so I can make a better choice. Thanks for the advice!

Yes, you get plenty of time for Level 1/Step 1. I think the last day of class for me was mid-April, with rotations starting July 1st. For Level 2 you gotta make sure you start preparing early during rotations though (as you should because you have to take shelf exams anyway) because you won't get any extra time besides your allowed 1 month of vacation in 3rd year. Of course, if it comes down to it you can schedule easier or virtual rotations during your elective/selective months to get more time to study as needed, but I wouldn't count too much on that though.
I may just keep asking you questions as they pop in my head if that’s ok🫢
I was wondering if you have any tips for studying your first and second year?

Hope everyone's cycle is going well. Just a word of caution before matriculating to ARCOM - make sure you have a strong support system. I can say the number one underrated fact about attending ARCOM is it can be very challenging if you're not mentally 100% (probably true for most med schools but I think it's worse here). I personally know 3 students from larger cities that attend here who really struggle with the slower pace of living. Those same people I know have contemplated withdrawing due to being far from family/friends, geographically. The students who seem to be the by-far happiest have SOs/family they live with or live locally. Almost everyone I know from a major city struggles with depression and goes home as much as possible. This is not a reflection of the quality of the school btw, it is just a byproduct of the location. I believe our education is great and our faculty does their best. Our OMM department is A+ tier IMO, for example.

I really, really, really cannot stress enough how important it is to make friends early and quickly. You're going to need them. Trust me. Also, remember to stay humble. The number one thing that will get you a bad reputation among classmates is bragging, etc. Stay HUMBLE. I'll say it again, stay humble.

I will say for the men/women in the class, dating out here is challenging. If you're lucky you'll meet someone in the class, so if meeting the "one" is on your priority list pretty much throw that notion out of the window. Pretty much every attractive opposite-sex individual in my class is already long taken, for example. You will see that pretty much half of the women on tinder/bumble have children already btw; it's insane. So if dating is something you enjoy and want to explore more.. REALLY think about it. I really, really wish I did. That's on me, tho.

In general, don't listen to upperclassmen regarding the difficulty of the subject matter - it almost never aligns with our experiences. Take what they say with a grain of salt. If you have any further questions PM me. Remember, you'll live here for over a thousand days.

GL

Reactions: 8 users
Anybody got a WL status update email today?

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when the last interview date is?

The site says that interviews are in-person. Can someone confirm that? I just want to know if it is true so that I can be prepared in case I get one.

The site says that interviews are in-person. Can someone confirm that? I just want to know if it is true so that I can be prepared in case I get one.
Unfortunately, they are one of those schools that require you to drop everything, spend big bucks, travel there, interview in person. No virtual option offered.

Hope everyone's cycle is going well. Just a word of caution before matriculating to ARCOM - make sure you have a strong support system. I can say the number one underrated fact about attending ARCOM is it can be very challenging if you're not mentally 100% (probably true for most med schools but I think it's worse here). I personally know 3 students from larger cities that attend here who really struggle with the slower pace of living. Those same people I know have contemplated withdrawing due to being far from family/friends, geographically. The students who seem to be the by-far happiest have SOs/family they live with or live locally. Almost everyone I know from a major city struggles with depression and goes home as much as possible. This is not a reflection of the quality of the school btw, it is just a byproduct of the location. I believe our education is great and our faculty does their best. Our OMM department is A+ tier IMO, for example.

I really, really, really cannot stress enough how important it is to make friends early and quickly. You're going to need them. Trust me. Also, remember to stay humble. The number one thing that will get you a bad reputation among classmates is bragging, etc. Stay HUMBLE. I'll say it again, stay humble.

I will say for the men/women in the class, dating out here is challenging. If you're lucky you'll meet someone in the class, so if meeting the "one" is on your priority list pretty much throw that notion out of the window. Pretty much every attractive opposite-sex individual in my class is already long taken, for example. You will see that pretty much half of the women on tinder/bumble have children already btw; it's insane. So if dating is something you enjoy and want to explore more.. REALLY think about it. I really, really wish I did. That's on me, tho.

In general, don't listen to upperclassmen regarding the difficulty of the subject matter - it almost never aligns with our experiences. Take what they say with a grain of salt. If you have any further questions PM me. Remember, you'll live here for over a thousand days.

GL
Thanks for the advice! I was just wondering, do you think your med school experience was made a lot more stressful since ARCOM isn’t P/F?

Unfortunately, they are one of those schools that require you to drop everything, spend big bucks, travel there, interview in person. No virtual option offered.
Yeah the campus is great honestly. I also was reluctant to go but ended up being very surprised with how nice it was. I was disappointed when I was informed that I need to complete a master’s after my interview though. It leads me to believe I had no chance regardless of how my interview went. And I believe it went really well.