ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the 1 on 1 interview with an admissions staff member have any bearing on whether you get accepted or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview at KCOM this week, and I am so excited to interview here! It sounds like a great place. Best of luck to everyone else!

gahh!!

I got a missed call from KCOM today. I interviewed on Dec 4th so I'm guessing it was an interview decision. When I called back they couldn't figure out who had called me and a decision wasn't in the computer. They told me they'd call back.:scared: Soooo I am zooming around my apartment freaking out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the call. I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got called back by Dylan! I'M IN!! This is so great. I feel so relieved happy ecstatic and just so excited!!

RMSgolfer- CONGRATS! when did you interview?

The 11th. I was surprised when they told me it would take 2-4 weeks to receive and answer, but I had a feeling I would receive their decision today. Holy balls this feels good. This is my second acceptance but this one feels way sweeter. Loved KCOM.

Congrats to you as well Lithium311. ENJOY BABY ENJOY!!!!

I just got accepted at KCOM and also at PCOM and have a hard decision ahead of me, but a couple questions that I have for those KCOMer's out there.

How are the rotation selections set up? I know KCOM has a wide selection of places to do rotations in. Is is possible to do a rotation say in Arizona, another in Denver, another in Florida and say go international for yet another rotation? Or are you restricted to a certain area once you select?

Do many of your classmates have pets? Is there housing that is open to having pets? (The student I stayed with had both a dog and a cat but she and her husband had bought a house)

What are the best areas around KCOM to find an apartment/house? I've seen Scott St. recommended any others? On Scott street what are the apartment complexes to look at? Easy places to find roommates? Did any of you go out to Kirksville early to find a place or did you do it online?

How active are KCOM students, are there many students into running, cycling....and other outdoor activities?

congrats to those that also received spots in the class of 2013, I may be joining you!!!

I just got accepted at KCOM and also at PCOM and have a hard decision ahead of me, but a couple questions that I have for those KCOMer's out there.

How are the rotation selections set up? I know KCOM has a wide selection of places to do rotations in. Is is possible to do a rotation say in Arizona, another in Denver, another in Florida and say go international for yet another rotation? Or are you restricted to a certain area once you select?

Do many of your classmates have pets? Is there housing that is open to having pets? (The student I stayed with had both a dog and a cat but she and her husband had bought a house)

What are the best areas around KCOM to find an apartment/house? I've seen Scott St. recommended any others? On Scott street what are the apartment complexes to look at? Easy places to find roommates? Did any of you go out to Kirksville early to find a place or did you do it online?

How active are KCOM students, are there many students into running, cycling....and other outdoor activities?

congrats to those that also received spots in the class of 2013, I may be joining you!!!

Congats on your acceptances!!!! Here's a couple answers to your questions, (then back to cramming).

- The rotations are set up that you pick one and go to that area, but in some ares you rotate between hospitals. But there lots of options, (Arizona, Utah, Michigan, Missouri...the list goes on). Not sure about the international thing

- I currently live in Scott St and LOVE it. Some students live in the student housing, but there are a lot of options outside of that. Best way is to contact a local realtor here, (Heritage House is really good). Best bet is to make a trip here to find something, I wouldn't do it online

- I've got a friend with a cat, and two more with dogs. I personally am pet-less :thumbdown:

- The student body is VERY active, and KCOM supports that 100%. Free gym membership and free use of the local pool. Lots of 5ks out on by KCOM as well. I'm currently training for an Ironman, and have gotten a lot of support from the students and staff, (though some think I'm nuts...)

Hope this helps, :) I've got to get back to studying :thumbdown:thumbdown

Maybe see you next year! :D

Last edited:
Just got an interview invite today, I'm very excited! I hope its not too late in the "season" to still be offered a spot in the class rather than a waitlist. I couldn't schedule the interview until Feb 2, anyone know if the admissions office would consider giving me an earlier interview, say if one is cancelled?

Just got an interview invite today, I'm very excited! I hope its not too late in the "season" to still be offered a spot in the class rather than a waitlist. I couldn't schedule the interview until Feb 2, anyone know if the admissions office would consider giving me an earlier interview, say if one is cancelled?

Brian, I got called on a Monday for an interview that same Thursday because some poor guy broke his leg and canceled -- primarily because I live in the area and figured I could come on short notice...maybe if you call them and ask? They are super friendly at the admissions dept!! Good Luck!

okay.. I posted a reply yesterday and now it's gone...
Newayz, I have an interview at KCOM in early Feb. and I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the puddle jumpers. I rather use them than drive to Kirksville. Any suggestions? And usually, what time does the interview end? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

okay.. I posted a reply yesterday and now it's gone...
Newayz, I have an interview at KCOM in early Feb. and I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the puddle jumpers. I rather use them than drive to Kirksville. Any suggestions? And usually, what time does the interview end? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
My interview isn't until 1/25, but this is what I have booked based on a graduates advice. I am flying into KCI and getting a rental car for the remainder of the trip. Its about 2.5 to 3 hours drive. I booked the car for a two day rental and airfair for <$300. Not bad considering I am traveling from the east coast. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)

I wanted to add a few more details to answer your questions...

The rotation process begins toward the beginning of your 2nd year. It consists of 2 mock matches and then the final match sometime in October. During the mock matches each student goes into a computer system and rank orders their top six choices. The results are sent out so that students can see where they stand and adjust their order if they need to. In mid to late October the official match lists are submitted and results are released within a few days. This determines a student's core rotation site. A list of current sites is posted on the KCOM website. During the 3rd year, students are required to do their rotations at this site. As Pegasus1731 mentioned, some sites are simply one hospital while others (Denver and Phoenix primarily, at this time) have a host of hospitals that students will rotate through. During the 4th year, students can work with their regional coordinators to do their elective rotations just about anywhere that will accept them. HPSP students will do their military rotations at this time. Other students can spend about half of that year in completely different rotations if they choose. There are more details, but nothing that you need to worry about at this stage. Hope that helps...

Housing- I would agree that you should go out sometime and look at apartments, but it is not a necessity if you simply can't afford it or squeeze it into a busy schedule. I would recommend that you speak with someone at Century21 or Heritage house and give them the specifics of what you are looking for. They can even tell you what is available and probably give you pictures if you need to make a decision form afar. There are several pet-friendly places around town. There are a few near KCOM, but many are further away. While this simply means a 5-10 minute drive instead of a walk I would suggest that you contact a realtor early if you are dead-set on a pet to get something closer if that's what you want. You can also contact the admissions office for a list of apartments/houses for rent or sale by current students.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions

I got accepted recently and now i'm just waiting for my acceptance package.

I'd like to know what the acceptance letter says and is it provisional?

Oh my gosh! I just received a call and am in at KCOM. I'm going to have some tough choices to make. Good luck to everyone!

Just got the call from KCOM, I got accepted... yay but now i have to choose between KCOM and NSUCOM.

People of both places are awesome, NSU is warm and pretty much a vacation spot, but KCOM is The best, both in cost and residency matching..

Help me decide. :idea:

I believe they both interviewed on Dec. 18th. Did you receive the call?

Nope :(
I hope to hear good news soon though...
Did you receive a call HALIVE?

nova or KCOM, nova or kcom, nova or kcom,, this is driving me insane

Hi Guys!

Don't know a whole lot about KCOM and MO is general, but I was just wondering if you guys also applied to KCUMB? I realized I didn't and now am wondering if I should. I know KCOM is the "mecca" but what made you guys pick kirksville over kansas city?

Also, it seems that many students with families are at KCOM because the administration/faculty are so supportive. I think that is great, but are there single people too?! I'm from L.A. and just wondering how well I'd fit in, and what 3rd and 4th year would be like for someone wanting to get back to the west coast.

Thanks!

Hey everyone!!!

I've got an interview on the 22nd and I was wondering if anyone could tell me at what time does the interviews usually end. I believe the interview starts at 8 am. I live in texas, and I am trying to figure out if I will be able to drive back to kansas city in enough time to make the flight back home without having to stay another night. Thanks for any help.

Hey everyone!!!

I've got an interview on the 22nd and I was wondering if anyone could tell me at what time does the interviews usually end. I believe the interview starts at 8 am. I live in texas, and I am trying to figure out if I will be able to drive back to kansas city in enough time to make the flight back home without having to stay another night. Thanks for any help.

When I interviewed I was done by around noon, if my memory serves me correctly. Once the interviews are over, you eat lunch and go on a tour, but none of that is required. I know that there were a couple folks who interviewed that day who had to leave to make it back to the airport and they had no issues whatsoever. You should be fine, as long as your departure time is late enough out of MCI...

Hope that's helpful. Good luck!

My interview portion of the day was done around noon, but after that is a tour which would be very benaficial to take if you get multiple acceptance offers.

As to the post above about KCUMB, I have applied and have an interview there in January. I have visited the school before and really liked it. My only concern was where it was located. Overall they have a good carriculum, but if im accepted there as well, I think I'm going to choose KCOM largely due to prestegious residency placements, smaller class size, and I think Kirksville would be a great place to live.

Hi guys im new to this thread. i got an interview offer from KCOM about two weeks ago and I'm scheduled for Feb 2nd!!

Anyone else interviewing on that day??

Hi guys im new to this thread. i got an interview offer from KCOM about two weeks ago and I'm scheduled for Feb 2nd!!

Anyone else interviewing on that day??

Hey! I'm interviewing on 2/2 too!
How are you planning to get to KCOM? I'm looking into flights that go to Kirksville, but I'm still undecided....

Hey! I'm interviewing on 2/2 too!
How are you planning to get to KCOM? I'm looking into flights that go to Kirksville, but I'm still undecided....

I'm debating on that too. I've read through the discussion thread and everyone's been driving there from st.louis or kansas city. No airlines seem to fly directly into Kirksville. I'm probably going to fly to st.louis and drive or find some other sort of transportation.

I called the admissions office to see what they would recommend but they're closed until jan 5th =( I'll decide afterward.

I'm debating on that too. I've read through the discussion thread and everyone's been driving there from st.louis or kansas city. No airlines seem to fly directly into Kirksville. I'm probably going to fly to st.louis and drive or find some other sort of transportation.

I called the admissions office to see what they would recommend but they're closed until jan 5th =( I'll decide afterward.

There is an airline that flies between STL and Kirksville, but I have heard that they frequently cancel due to weather conditions. Here's the link. http://www.kirksvillecity.com/Kirksvilleregionalairport/flightinfo.htm
I have an interview next month and I was going to fly to Des Moines and drive, but I decided against that due to possible road conditions. I am now flying into Kansas City and driving to Kirksville. I think KC is about 30 miles closer to Kirksville than STL is, and I know it is divided highway for the majority of the drive. Good luck to you.

Yea.. I thought about driving too, but I'm worried that the road conditions will be bad (snow/ice/heavy rain/etc)... So I'm leaning toward flying into Kirksville airport... Let me know what you decide =)

Fly into St. Louis and rent a car. The car companies offer complimentary pick up from the airport to their facilities. The rental facilities are directly off the highway. Once on the highway you only need to take two exits to get to Kirksville. Enterprise Rent-a-car was the cheapest for me. However, for older people other rental services may be less expensive. I also recommend staying with a student. The student I stayed with showed me around campus and gave me an unfiltered version of the school. Kirksville is great and I will most likely be going there next year.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Yea.. I thought about driving too, but I'm worried that the road conditions will be bad (snow/ice/heavy rain/etc)... So I'm leaning toward flying into Kirksville airport... Let me know what you decide =)

You can also fly into Kansas City and or Chicago and catch an AMTRAK train from there to La Plata station( 12 miles from Kirksville) . I believe from Chicago it leaves at 3:15 PM and arrives in La Plata at 8 ish PM. Some of the hotels on the KCOM website have shuttles from the train station. As for the Kansas City train I think it is two hours but leaves in the morning ---7:45ish AM arriving in around 10. Both AMTRAK stations are 18 to 20 miles from the airports... & according to AMTRAK - the average distance.

I am also debating whether to drive or train, but I called before the 23rd to ask about options.

Anyway wanted to let you know the other options.

Best of Luck

Anyone interviewing on 2/12? Pretty excited!

hey guys,
For anyone that got an acceptance package could you tell me who to write the deposit to? I'm home and didn't bring my package and want to get a check from my dad before I head back. thanks!

hey guys,
For anyone that got an acceptance package could you tell me who to write the deposit to? I'm home and didn't bring my package and want to get a check from my dad before I head back. thanks!

I'm going to copy exactly what the sheet says for you so I don't mess it up.

By Check or Money Order:

You may pay by check or money order by mailing the fee to the address below. Make sure the applicant name is included on the check or attached on a separate piece of paper.
Admissions Office
A.T. Still University
800 West Jefferson Street
Kirksville, MO 63501

On the yellow page it said to make checks payable to A.T. Still University. I did mine with the online credit card option. If you do that, the address is https://secure.atsu.edu/fee/default.aspx?prgm=kcom

Congratulations on the acceptance!

For those of you who have interviewed, how long does it take from the time they recieve your secondary to the time they invite you for an interview? I am a pretty late applicant but the more I look into KCOM the more I love it! Thanks!

For those of you who have interviewed, how long does it take from the time they recieve your secondary to the time they invite you for an interview? I am a pretty late applicant but the more I look into KCOM the more I love it! Thanks!

I may be a bit of an anomaly, but I got an invite the day after I sent in my last LOR.

Is anyone interviewing on Jan. 16th that would like to interview on Jan. 15th? I have a conflict that i am trying to resolve and I am trying to switch my dates. I would also be willing to switch for Jan. 29th or 30th if anyone is interested. PM me!

Has anyone who interviewed on Dec. 19th heard any news regarding acceptance?

Loved ATSU. Paid the deposit. I guess it is official, I am going to ATSU-KCOM.

I was wondering....

Did anyone FLY from ST. Louis to Kirksville? I know there's an airline that flies into Kirksville, and I was wondering if anyone tried to do this and could give me some feedback.

Thanks!

I was wondering....

Did anyone FLY from ST. Louis to Kirksville? I know there's an airline that flies into Kirksville, and I was wondering if anyone tried to do this and could give me some feedback.

Thanks!

I flew into St. louis, rented a Car and drove to kirksville.The drive was about 2 hours and 45 minutes of open road. I think the trip turned out to be cheaper compared to taking a $75 one way flight from/to kirksville.

If staying more than one night I recommend getting a hotel one night in kirksville and one in st. louis. I used hotwire to find hotel in st. louis and called the hotel for kirksville. Good Luck, you will love the people and the school.

Hey Guys, here is my situation:

31P MCAT, 3.56 Overall, 3.29 Science ( 3.9 last 2.5 years of college, with all A's in upper division science courses)

Have volunteered at a homeless clinic for 4 years, worked as a phleb for 3 years, student gov't in college, alcohol and drug awareness program mentor, Big Brother for Big Brothers Big Sisters(Big Brother of the Year 2008 for my city-chosen among 1700 others), two undergrad research projects, 2 years post-grad research (no pubs), Volunteer healthcare for the homeless research project (ongoing), Organized a fundraiser (2K for breast cancer) and various others......I'll spare you!!!

Would it be ridiculous to still apply?

I recently shadowed a DO, and was very impressed. Did some research and I really like the philosophy. Currently I have had 2 MD interviews with decisions pending, and 7 MD schools to hear from.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me start the essay about qualifications. I know what i want to say in the contents, however, I'm not sure how to start the introduction. :confused:

Also, the prompt says please limit to 500 words or less. Is it wise to use 250 words? Or should I get as close to 500 words as possible?

Thanks

hey guys, i got a letter from Adcom today stating that my application is on hold for further consideration. Is anyone in the same boat as I am? Does this pretty much say this is the end of the line for me? Thanks a lot, your feedback will be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me start the essay about qualifications. I know what i want to say in the contents, however, I'm not sure how to start the introduction. :confused:

Also, the prompt says please limit to 500 words or less. Is it wise to use 250 words? Or should I get as close to 500 words as possible?

Thanks

Word limits are in place so the adcom does not get barraged with an applicant thesis about why you want to go to school there. Therefore, the more concise and to the point your essay, the better. If they give you the opportunity to use 500 words I would try to use at least 300. You should not worry if you are close to 500, however. The application will not let you go over.

Hi everyone, I got an interview on March 2nd! I was wondering what kind of dress code is expected. Did all the male interviewees go in a suit? Or is a suit too formal?

Status
Not open for further replies.