ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when was ur interview?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah same here i interviewed 2/2. I think their waiting to see if their current accepted students are going to pay for deposits or what not. But I am pretty sure they will have the results tomorrow, when I called them today they told me to call tomorrow to know instead of telling me they have not decided yet like they did last wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I figured that it was something like that. Let's hope that they come up with a couple of open seats for us.

just called...got denied and i thought the interview went really well.

I just canceled my interview spot for tomorrow, Friday the 13th. Hopefully someone else will be able to take it on such short notice. Good luck, guys! :)

I interviwed 2/2, when I called today they still hadn't decided. I'm sposed to call next Thursday if I don't hear anything...I'm so nervous!

I interviwed 2/2, when I called today they still hadn't decided. I'm sposed to call next Thursday if I don't hear anything...I'm so nervous!

I'm with you, man. No decision after my second Thursday call-in, and I'm freakin' out.

I think that there were like 10 of us there on my interview day, and they interview 4 days a week. I'm trying really hard not to think about the number of people they've interviewed since I was in Kirksville.

Interviewed 2/12, really liked the school and the faculty I met. After visiting, it's one of my top picks if I get in. Now I just have to wait and see...:xf:

same here. i interviewed 2/2 and called this past thursday. need to wait till next week .

Members don't see this ad :)
nothing here yet either...I'm starting to get really nervous because KCOM is my top choice. Hopefully I get some good news tomorrow!

I should preface this by saying that I think that I'm officially obsessing...

I was looking back over the thread, and no one has reported an acceptance since 1/22.

I realize that not everyone is on SDN, but even so, isn't it a little weird that not one person has mentioned an acceptance in the last (almost) month?

Not going to lie, but I have done the exact same thing, trying to figure out why they keep saying that a decision hasn't been made. I can't stop thinking about it!! I loved this school

Not to be a downer, but I was looking at the thread from last year and it seems that the class was filled halfway through february, and after that acceptances were sent out saying that that person was accepted into that class (2012) if a spot opened up or they would automatically get a seat in the next class (2013) if they wanted it. I know a lot of people who got that email ended up getting an open spot though. This is pure speculation, of course, but maybe they are going to do something like that again this year, and they are just holding out a little longer to see if anyone else drops their acceptance?

Oh, also, is anyone else going to interview on March 2nd?

I think that you nailed it natrod. I just got an "acceptance pending availability of a seat" email.

A regular acceptance would have been better, obviously, but I'm still pretty pumped.

I think that you nailed it natrod. I just got an "acceptance pending availability of a seat" email.

A regular acceptance would have been better, obviously, but I'm still pretty pumped.

I got the same thing too! Hopefully, spots will open up and I will be able to join class of 2013!

I got the same thing too so I hope seats open up soon so we don't have to wait forever, but I'm happy that I didn't get denied.

Got the same e-mail as well! I really am hoping to get in to the upcoming class. This is my number one school!!

did those emails say that if there aren't spots this year you have a spot in next year's class? Just curious if they're doing the same thing.

If it makes anyone feel any better, one of my best friends is holding a spot but most likely not going pending an acceptance to his state school.

did those emails say that if there aren't spots this year you have a spot in next year's class? Just curious if they're doing the same thing.

Yes, it does. It says that if there aren't any spots for 2013, I get a guaranteed acceptance for class of 2014....

yeah, i got the same email. So what are you guys thinking? KCOM is my top choice, but I have an interview invite for LECOM and can't decide if I should go. I am holding an acceptance at RVU and was accepted at ATSU-SOMA. Hopefully we'll all here something soon.

I have interview in early March, sounds like I am interviewing for a waitlist spot...

I have interview in early March, sounds like I am interviewing for a waitlist spot...

I don't think it's that bad. There still are direct acceptances, you just have to do really well on the interview. Other candidates that are strong, but lack one or two criteria they are looking for might be offered acceptance pending seats. So you just have to make sure the interview goes really smoothly, and hopefully have good stats in the primary+secondary to make a difference :thumbup:.

I just got this email from the Ad Com, so I guess all of us are now interviewing for the waitlist.

"You have an interview scheduled at ATSU-KCOM in the upcoming weeks and we wanted
to update you where we are in our rolling admissions process. Currently the 172
seats at ATSU-KCOM are filled. If KCOM is your top choice for medical school, I
would encourage you to go ahead and interview with us. If you are accepted by
the Admissions Committee, you would be accepted pending the availability of a
seat. Each year we have seats that open up throughout the spring and summer due
to various reasons. Last year everyone that was accepted pending a seat had the
opportunity to join us in August 2008.
If you are accepted pending a seat and
one does not become available, you would be offered an advance seat for the
class beginning in August 2010."

Even if KCOM wasn't one of my top choices, considering that I'm flying out on Wednesday I'd be going anyways.

Just keep in mind that everyone accepted pending an available seat was able to go. You're not really interviewing just for waitlist, you still have a good chance of getting accepted. And if there aren't any spots, you have a guaranteed spot in next year's class, which is definitely better than nothing!

It's good to know that everyone on the waitlist got in last year... Then the question is, what's the number of increase from applications last year? :confused:

Hi all, I'm in the same boat, got the email and Monday the 23rd is my interview. It's nice to hear that everyone was eventually offered a spot last year but you'd have to put 1K+ into another school first to hold your spot only to withdraw if KCOM comes through..then put more $$ down. ahh! It sounds like it's a small price to pay to get an education at KCOM.
Any Specific Interview advice?? Who did you interview with?? What kind of questions? Are you guys sending "thank you" cards to your interviewers??

Thanks in advance,
CJ

It's good to know that everyone on the waitlist got in last year... Then the question is, what's the number of increase from applications last year? :confused:

I think that the bigger question is when were people offered spots last year. After a certain point, with no word from KCOM, people with multiple acceptances will financially/emotionally commit themselves to another school. I feel like once you sign a lease on an apartment, it's hard to go back.

Any Specific Interview advice?? Who did you interview with?? What kind of questions? Are you guys sending "thank you" cards to your interviewers??

Thanks in advance,
CJ

Just be yourself. They are one-on-one open file interviews so you do not have to "prove" yourself to them. They already know the details of your application. They just want to make sure you can calmly discuss your motivations to practice osteopathic medicine. The most difficult question I was asked was about the greatest challenge I have overcome in my life. But even that was not very difficult. I did not send a thank you to my interviewers, but if you had a student host, you definitely should send them a thank you. Read the SDN interview feedback for further ideas about what types of questions could be asked. Good luck CJ.

Haha, I just noticed that your interview is on the 23rd (today) and you are already done. My bad. Hope it went well!

Well, my interview is on the 27th of February. All this talk of class spots filling up is making me nervous. Hopefully things go well. Wish me luck.

thanks liquid8r.. yeah things were great overall..very impressed with everything and its clear that the world there revolves around the students which is a very supportive environment to go to school in.

cya,
CJ

KCOM e-mail this morning: Holy crap you're on the waitlist...

Me reading the KCOM e-mail this morning: Holy crap I'm on the waitlist...

I interviewed Thurs. Feb. 12th. Apparently my nuanced (read: highly opinionated) answers to Dr. Uray's international healthcare politics questions didn't turn them off enough to kick me to the curb. Now I sit on my hands until someone decides Kirksville isn't for them.

I have interviews at Univ. of KY and LECOM, but I think both are for alternate lists as well. At least some of the pressure's off.

Worst case, I'll be part of KCOM Class of 2014!

Here's to a partially successful year and a quarter of classwork after quitting my job as an engineer. :foamy beer: :hardy: WHAT?! No icon for that?

Rhoads-

I interviewed with you on 2/12 and got the same email this morning. I have a host of questions. How many people do they put on the waitlist? Do they rank it? Anyone on these boards get a call off the waitlist last year? If so, when was the call? These are all questions I have that only admissions people can probably answer. Thankfully, I have been accepted elsewhere but now I have to shell out the $$$ to insure I am going to school next year. I don't really have the heart or financial drive to hold out until 2010. Good luck to everyone in this crazy process! Here's to waiting....

According to the email they sent me last week, everyone on the wait list ('accepted pending space') list last year was offered a spot in last years class.

See everyone tomorrow at the interview!

Good to know. I am pumped to be on the list and that KCOM is even a possibility for next year. Good luck at your interview!:luck:

Does anyone have links/info on kcom's clinical rotations site? The clinical rotations section of their website is down.
I've been trying to find this for a long time too, I figure I'll ask for some info on Monday when I get there. Are you still interviewing on Monday as well?

What should guests wear at the interview? I assume not as formal as the interview candidates but definitely nothing as casual as jeans. Would nice business casual be a good?

Hi there,

My husband got one of those acceptances pending openings emails yesterday. Since this is a place we may be going, I am doing research too.

I couldn't help but register to answer this question about rotation sites. This is the URL they provided him for more information about third and fourth year rotations:

http://www.atsu.edu/rotationguide

It redirects you to this URL to download a 145-page package.

http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/admissions/pdfs/SiteGuide2008.pdf

According to my husband, students are matched with rotation sites early in their second year to help with planning. This is an important point for people like me who need to scramble to find jobs or possible graduate school.

I didn't read the document, but the rotation sites listed in the table of contents are:

Arizona
Colorado
Florida
Illinois
Iowa
Kansas
Michigan
Minnesota
Northeast
Ohio
Utah
Missouri

Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
So I was offered a spot last week ! woohoo!!
I sent the deposit today. But I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools. So perhaps things will shift around and someone might get my spot :)
good luck to those that still have interviews!

I saw this in another thread from another school and thought it was helpful in comparing schools. Any of the current/past students that can give words on the quality of classes each of the professors teach would be greatly appreciated. :)

Anatomy faculty

Nandor J. Uray, Ph.D., Professor and Acting Chair
Peter E. Kondrashov, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Orin B. Mock, Ph.D., Emertus Professor
Edwin S. Purcell, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Diana C.J. Rhodes, D.V.M., Ph.D., Associate Professor
James A. Rhodes, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Jeremy Houser, Ph.D., Adjunct Assistant Professor
Anatomy Staff
Sandi Catlett, Executive Secretary
Bill Wobken, Research Technician

Biochemistry Faculty