-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Wasn't that the question from the SOMA application?
I put shadowing in there. I thought for KCOM it said specifically to include shadowing. Didn't it ask for clinical experiences (not specifically volunteer stuff)?
I did put shadowing on my SOMA app even though they didn't really want it. I was clear that it was shadowing, I know it's not volunteer but some of the patient populations I saw while shadowing I wanted to tie into my essays for the school. Already turned it in so I can't go back to change that one.
clinical experiences like research? what else is there if not volunteering or shadowing?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only used experiences where I was directly involved with a patient, either counseling or performing/assisting in procedures.
Research isn't clinical experience. They also said explicitly not to repeat research.
Some of us have worked in healthcare. That is a clinical experience.
why can't medical research done in a hospital setting be a clinical experience?
I only used experiences where I was directly involved with a patient, either counseling or performing/assisting in procedures.
the research DID involve direct interaction with the patients.
I wasn't trying to be snarky in my first response, though it does read that way looking at it now. Sorry about that. I said research wasn't clinical because for most premeds it isn't.
You should probably call the school to ask about your specific scenario, since the application says don't repeat research, but asks to list all clinical activities.
Would you classify it as research or clinical? What did you do? If the patient contact was minimal then I probably wouldn't put it, but if it's more 50/50 then I would.
You should probably call the school to ask about your specific scenario, since the application says don't repeat research, but asks to list all clinical activities.
Would you classify it as research or clinical? What did you do? If the patient contact was minimal then I probably wouldn't put it, but if it's more 50/50 then I would.
Last edited:
I wasn't trying to be snarky in my first response, though it does read that way looking at it now. Sorry about that. I said research wasn't clinical because for most premeds it isn't.
You should probably call the school to ask about your specific scenario, since the application says don't repeat research, but asks to list all clinical activities.
Would you classify it as research or clinical? What did you do? If the patient contact was minimal then I probably wouldn't put it, but if it's more 50/50 then I would.
hey no problem, happens to us all 🙂
hmm alright i will do that soon. i guess more research than clinical, even though it was clinical research lol. i'd say more 30/70 (70 being research)
thanks for the info!
Did anyone get the confirmation number yet??
I just got the confirmation number today. I submitted my application on July 11th.
do u guys think its too late to add this school?
(i'm already verified)
(i'm already verified)
do u guys think its too late to add this school?
(i'm already verified)
No.
got my secondary today too. do you guys know if we can send more than the two required recommendations letters. I have one committee, two physician (D.O. and M.D.) and two faculty ones.
Didn't see an answer to this yet. I called admissions, they said it's fine to submit more letters. She didn't tell me if there was a maximum but I'm sure a few extra (1-2, maybe even 3) would be ok. She did say extra letters, plural, are ok.
I assume this is ok for SOMA as well, since the number they give you to ask questions is the same.
do u guys think its too late to add this school?
(i'm already verified)
No, it's only July... it is really early to apply.
Their deadline is like February of next year.
Didn't see an answer to this yet. I called admissions, they said it's fine to submit more letters. She didn't tell me if there was a maximum but I'm sure a few extra (1-2, maybe even 3) would be ok. She did say extra letters, plural, are ok.
I assume this is ok for SOMA as well, since the number they give you to ask questions is the same.
:O I checked out your stats on MDapplicants, please don't apply here and take my spot from me lol!!
You can probably try Harvard lol
My committee doesnt make my lor until September. Do you think I should just submit this secondary with a science prof and a DO and submit the committee letter later?
YES absolutely
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i just added thsi school... and have already sent my LORs to kcom (for atsu-soma)...does anyone know if i need to send another pair of LORs in?
So I just got done with my secondary and I want to submit it but I dont remember my SAT scores. Should I really wait till Monday to make a call and find out or just submit early without the scores. Please help!!!!
I didn't even take the SAT. I just said in the box underneath that I don't remember by ACT score.
:O I checked out your stats on MDapplicants, please don't apply here and take my spot from me lol!!
You can probably try Harvard lol
Well I'd like to stay in Arizona if possible. KCOM had rotations here, that's part of why I am applying here. My husband is a KCOM grad, so that's another.
I have no interest in research or Harvard, sorry to say...
anyone hearing anything?
I just got the interview invite! First date available is end of September, but I scheduled mine October 14th since I already have a couple back to back in September.
Good luck guys! You're all next... 🙂
Congrats. I submitted my primary first day it was allowed, and submitted the secondary the day I got it, so I would think I should hear pretty soon, too. Hopefully it's positive 😱
I just got the interview invite! First date available is end of September, but I scheduled mine October 14th since I already have a couple back to back in September.
Good luck guys! You're all next... 🙂
Just saw your MDapps profile- you will have NO trouble getting in almost anywhere you apply. Best of luck to you! 👍
congrats. crossing my fingers! they must be trickling out as this thread isn't blowing up like the rest of them.
Last edited:
Received interview invite as well 😀
Are they inviting via e-mail?
Received interview invite as well 😀
Congrats!...when were you complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!...when were you complete?
I was complete 7/11 🙂
And yes, they are inviting via email
Good luck on your interviews! They were very organized and conversational. I'm about to start here in a week 😱
yep invites are via email!
+1
Crossing my fingers. Hopefully I hear something today.
So...I have a question. For those of you who were accepted for interviews, where are you planning to stay? Also, what will be your mode of transportation? I won't be driving and it would be great to find someone willing to share a ride with. Thanks.
I flew into the Kirksville airport (have to use a small 8-seater prop plane) and took a cab to the Holiday Inn Express in town (discount for interviewing students) and then again to and from the interview. The airline is small so they only fly out 3 or 4 times a day, and the last departure when I interviewed was before the interview day was over, so I had to stay an extra night and leave the next morning. However, KCOM allowed interviewers to skip a few tours to leave early and catch a flight. You can also fly into Kansas City or St Louis and rent a car to drive over to Kirksville, but it's a long drive... Also, they have the option of applying to stay with a current student for the night for free instead of a hotel if you want.
Interview invite today! 3.5/31
when were u complete?Interview invite today! 3.5/31
when were u complete?
7/25
ok, I was complete on 8/2. I can feel the invite coming any day now! Please cGPA 3.45 sGPA 3.85 MCAT 32
i am really hoping for an interview. complete 7/13. 3.68/3.71/28Q.
Interview invite!! Excited about this school.
i am really hoping for an interview. complete 7/13. 3.68/3.71/28Q.
FrkyBgstok gonna get invites everywhere. Calling it now!
Haha. I hope you are right. Btw, congrats on your interviews.
How long did it take everyone for their secondary status to change from "Application in Process" to "Complete"? My secondary was submitted on August 5 and the status is "application in process" for Evaluation I, Evaluation II, and my MCAT.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interview invite for first week of october!! was complete on 07/15 anyone flying out from the west coast???
How long did it take everyone for their secondary status to change from "Application in Process" to "Complete"? My secondary was submitted on August 5 and the status is "application in process" for Evaluation I, Evaluation II, and my MCAT.
I was wondering the same thing I submitted August 5th as well.
interview invite for first week of october!! was complete on 07/15 anyone flying out from the west coast???
Mind sharing your stats?
interview invite for first week of october!! was complete on 07/15 anyone flying out from the west coast???
I am 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 67
- Views
- 20K
- Replies
- 181
- Views
- 44K
- Replies
- 272
- Views
- 58K
- Replies
- 387
- Views
- 78K