ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is already my 2nd time applying, Im not gonna get any younger, so I dont think I'll wait another year for med school since I already have other acceptances but want to go to SOMA. If this is my 1st time applying, I would gladly wait another year for this school.

Members don't see this ad.

where else did you get accepted?

Sorry Sean, I haven't been on in a couple days.
I got into LMU-DCOM. I also am going to interview at LECOM next week.

Last edited:
for the guys who got in recently... did you get in anywhere else?

hey sean,
i wanted to reply to this because i felt it was a good opportunity to brag and show off. And...okay, it shows how cool SOMA is when compared to other schools too.
So without further adieu...nawh, just check my MDapps! You'll see I turned down a lot of interviews due to an acceptance with SOMA. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been delaying all of my paperwork for SOMA...whilst doing it for Penn State. As of right now, I'm scheduled for Penn State. So if you're high on the waitlist, I would expect AT LEAST one seat to open up in the next week.

I finally got a call yesterday...I got an acceptance pending a seat opening up, since the class is full. Apparently it's higher than the alternate list, so that's cool. If things don't work out this year, I'm guaranteed an acceptance for next year's class. Anybody else in the same boat?

we're in the same boat :) i'm pretty happy either way this plays out, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed to start this year.

Congratulation on your quasi-acceptance. I had something similar from another school last year but since I liked soma so much, I decided not to wait and turned them down. It sounds like though that you are pretty sure of a spot as I expect a few people are waiting on other alternate lists and will drop once they get their "choice" school.
I would like to meet up with some of the first years but unfortunately there is not much of a chance to meet anyone in the class ahead of you as we will be leaving before most of you get here, but let me know if you are here early July or before.

we're in the same boat :) i'm pretty happy either way this plays out, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed to start this year.

Just wondering...

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I plan on buying a condo or house and wish to rent it to 2 other students.

If you haven't been on the portal yet, people post on there with houses for rent and roommates. Facebook is also a place to post for roommates. The houses on the ATSU portal are houses in nice neighborhoods, close to campus with most of them being vacated by students graduating or moving. There are cheaper places elsewhere if you are willing to look, just like anything it depends on what you want ultimately.

You're right, I think it's pretty hard to say. But three of the CHC's are in Arizona, with three more in the west (WA, OR, and CA). So if you want to, you'll end up at a CHC out west. And the whole point of the CHC participation is to groom future physicians for their clinics, so each clinic has an incentive to help you find a residency nearby, so they can have you come back after your residency.

That, IMHO, is one of the great benefits of SOMA. You have three years to form relationships with the people who are going to be writing your recommendations, who are going to be mentoring you as to where would be great programs to go, and who know people in those programs.

SOMA's all about keepin' it in the community!

Sorry, this is my third reply tonight but we just finished a module so I haven't been on in a while.

The topic here is something that we have been talking about all year. COMLEX is required for graduation. Some MD programs accept this and others do not (want USMLE). It is up to you to find which programs and their requirements. Arizona actually is selectively by program and institution. For instance, I believe it is the U of A (i could be wrong) accepts DOs and COMLEX for certain residencies but not others. For a list of DO specific residencies (and schools), the JAOA in its most recent publication (pg 137), listed the locations of all residencies. The majority are centered north and east (and California) with others scattered throughout. The article does not mention what the residencies are in however.

Sorry, this is my third reply tonight but we just finished a module so I haven't been on in a while.

The topic here is something that we have been talking about all year. COMLEX is required for graduation. Some MD programs accept this and others do not (want USMLE). It is up to you to find which programs and their requirements. Arizona actually is selectively by program and institution. For instance, I believe it is the U of A (i could be wrong) accepts DOs and COMLEX for certain residencies but not others. For a list of DO specific residencies (and schools), the JAOA in its most recent publication (pg 137), listed the locations of all residencies. The majority are centered north and east (and California) with others scattered throughout. The article does not mention what the residencies are in however.

Why not just take the COMLEX and the USMLE and apply wherever you want?

I finally got a call yesterday...I got an acceptance pending a seat opening up, since the class is full. Apparently it's higher than the alternate list, so that's cool. If things don't work out this year, I'm guaranteed an acceptance for next year's class. Anybody else in the same boat?

Did you just recently interview or have you been waiting on the wait list? Does anyone know if they are doing this for people currently on the alternate list or if they are only giving guaranteed acceptance for next year to people who are interviewing now.

The guaranteed acceptance is essentially an acceptance. I'm pretty sure they aren't doing this for people on the alternate list

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you just recently interview or have you been waiting on the wait list? Does anyone know if they are doing this for people currently on the alternate list or if they are only giving guaranteed acceptance for next year to people who are interviewing now.

i interviewed on 3/23 and got the call on thursday. sorry i don't have the information to answer your last question, and they aren't open today to ask. :(. maybe give them a call on monday?

I interviewed the 20th of March. I wasn't waitlisted, so this was the first news I heard. They just said that they couldn't give any outright acceptances because they were at capacity, so they're giving acceptances contingent upon seats opening up (and they will) and in the event that seats didn't open up, people in this category were automatically accepted for next year's class. My spot will most likely be opening up though, because I'm leaning toward another school.

Anyone interview April 3rd and heard back anything yet? Just curious...

Anyone know whats going on with ATSU-SOMA and why their decision is taking so long? ATSU is my first choice...

For those who might be interested in Osteopathic residencies check out http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/
FYI, U of A rarely accept DO students in their programs, and definitely not COMLEX. However, most programs in the PHX area take a lot of DOs.

In terms of the books, does anyone have any info as to which books we Really will need/ use? I'm sure that the required books will be a big help, but I was wondering if the classes went more off of lecture and other resources. One current student recommended "First Aid for the Basic Sciences: Organ Systems." I don't really want to be stuck with textbooks that I won't utilize during school. Less than 100 days left! I myself have been kicking back and working on my golf swing while I still have leisure time. :thumbup:

Take care everyone.

In terms of the books, does anyone have any info as to which books we Really will need/ use? I'm sure that the required books will be a big help, but I was wondering if the classes went more off of lecture and other resources. One current student recommended "First Aid for the Basic Sciences: Organ Systems." I don't really want to be stuck with textbooks that I won't utilize during school. Less than 100 days left! I myself have been kicking back and working on my golf swing while I still have leisure time. :thumbup:

Take care everyone.

The area has quite the golf courses so that leisure time might come in handy.:thumbup:

Take care everyone.

Yeah, this is something that I would like to know as well.

In terms of the books, does anyone have any info as to which books we Really will need/ use? I'm sure that the required books will be a big help, but I was wondering if the classes went more off of lecture and other resources. One current student recommended "First Aid for the Basic Sciences: Organ Systems." I don't really want to be stuck with textbooks that I won't utilize during school.

I chose to take the safe route and purchase every required book last year. I have gained very little from any of them. But I know students in my class who utilize every required and recommended book as well as many other additional resources (board review books, flash cards, etc.), so I think it really has more to do with personal learning style and study preferences.

It's probably important to mention that the students I know who are using all these books and extra resources tend to demonstrate a deeper and more complete understanding of the course material. But I'd also guess that they are spending many more hours studying each week than I am. Fortunately I've passed every module at a comfortable level, so I've been satisfied so far with the level of understanding I'm achieving in each module.

Some teachers consistently post "required" reading assignments to be done prior to their large group presentation. Other instructors consistently have no pre-class reading assignments. But the majority of exam questions will come from the large group powerpoint presentations given in class. So again, it's really hard to say which books you personally will need/use throughout the year. It's similar to the topic or whether or not class attendance is necessary to do well - it really depends on one's personal learning style, study preferences, priorities, and desired use of time.

I chose to take the safe route and purchase every required book last year. I have gained very little from any of them. But I know students in my class who utilize every required and recommended book as well as many other additional resources (board review books, flash cards, etc.), so I think it really has more to do with personal learning style and study preferences.

It's probably important to mention that the students I know who are using all these books and extra resources tend to demonstrate a deeper and more complete understanding of the course material. But I'd also guess that they are spending many more hours studying each week than I am. Fortunately I've passed every module at a comfortable level, so I've been satisfied so far with the level of understanding I'm achieving in each module.

Some teachers consistently post "required" reading assignments to be done prior to their large group presentation. Other instructors consistently have no pre-class reading assignments. But the majority of exam questions will come from the large group powerpoint presentations given in class. So again, it's really hard to say which books you personally will need/use throughout the year. It's similar to the topic or whether or not class attendance is necessary to do well - it really depends on one's personal learning style, study preferences, priorities, and desired use of time.

Did you discover your preferred learning style in med school or have you known about it before? I really don't have much of an idea in how I learn best but I'm guessing med school will force me to find one. Hopefully.

For those who might be interested in Osteopathic residencies check out http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/
FYI, U of A rarely accept DO students in their programs, and definitely not COMLEX. However, most programs in the PHX area take a lot of DOs.

Just to add to what was said by one of my fellow "First Born" ie. c/o 2011. The COMLEX will do you fine for many, many ACGME residencies in many specialties. But it is important to ask the residencies ahead of time, and research the programs--take a look and see if there are DOs in the program, email them, ask questions. If you are interested in applying for a more selective residency, and are interested in an ACGME program and not just AOA then you should take the USMLE.

As for me, Im only taking the COMLEX........in 63 days :eek:

For those of you who were told you'd have a seat in the following class, don't put your eggs all in one basket. I've been told this exact same thing and of course I wasn't accepted the following year. Get something in writing. Also, I would still apply to many schools the following year. Medical school addmissions offices like to play games. Don't believe anythig they tell you.

If they tell you that you have to fill out an application again for the following year, really don't believe them. Keep improving yourself and your application, this will help you get in more the following year than the addmissions office's word.

Last edited:
Did you discover your preferred learning style in med school or have you known about it before? I really don't have much of an idea in how I learn best but I'm guessing med school will force me to find one. Hopefully.

I knew about certain aspects beforehand, but the past 8 months of med school have really allowed me to discover more through trial and error.

I tried working with 2 or 3 different study groups during the first module and quickly realized I do much better on my own. I tried doing all the learning objectives for each lecture but found it to be way too time-consuming, and it yielded little results for me. I tried using a downloaded program to make personalized flash cards for each lecture - likewise took too long. I also decided early on not to spend time doing the pre-class reading assignments.

Eventually I settled on two USMLE board review books as my only outside resources. I've also found there are certain instructors whose lectures I will never miss, and there are others whose presentations I will never attend. It's been a constant series of adjustments to figure out how I learn and succeed best at SOMA in each new module. It's been fun and frustrating overall, and it definitely has forced me to figure out for myself how to take in so much material in so little time.

I knew about certain aspects beforehand, but the past 8 months of med school have really allowed me to discover more through trial and error.

I tried working with 2 or 3 different study groups during the first module and quickly realized I do much better on my own. I tried doing all the learning objectives for each lecture but found it to be way too time-consuming, and it yielded little results for me. I tried using a downloaded program to make personalized flash cards for each lecture - likewise took too long. I also decided early on not to spend time doing the pre-class reading assignments.

Eventually I settled on two USMLE board review books as my only outside resources. I've also found there are certain instructors whose lectures I will never miss, and there are others whose presentations I will never attend. It's been a constant series of adjustments to figure out how I learn and succeed best at SOMA in each new module. It's been fun and frustrating overall, and it definitely has forced me to figure out for myself how to take in so much material in so little time.

To add more controversy. I do all the objectives and mainly study from them. At first I did them by myself but now I split objectives with a group of students. I use books only if I don't understand something or for a specific instructors when I find lectures confusing. Personally I attend almost every lecture and find that even if the lectures are confusing, I can get something out of it but certain lectures I must admit probably are better skipped.

I do use First Aid for USMLE to see if I am understanding and on track. It also has a good condensing of the most important concepts. I study pretty much how I did in college with a few tweaks to my system (we didn't have objectives) and so far I am passing. The biggest change and challenge is constantly studying every week, almost every day verses college waiting until the last two weeks before exams. Hope this helps.

does anyone know if slick's experiences been found here at SOMA? Sorry, i would quote but i am on a new phone and still figuring it out

Last edited:
don't know if this will be relevent to anyone, but due to acceptance at another school, I will be dropping a spot from SOMA soon. Hope this news make someone's day :]

thanks for the heads up antapolar! where will you be going if you don't mind saying?

this thread has been so quiet, anyone hear any news yet? c'mon SOMA! =D

Heading to Western U/COMP. Got relatives there, and better suits my living style :)

Hope some of you have hear good news, there should be quite a big turn over around this period when ppl are settling down with their final decisions.

does anyone know if slick's experiences been found here at SOMA? Sorry, i would quote but i am on a new phone and still figuring it out

My experience was at a MD program. I don't know if this school addmission office is different.

thanks for clearing that up slick! and i did get it in writing last night actually. so hopefully things are good to go. and matt, wish you the best at UPenn!

just to bring this thread to the top. the adcom was supposed to meet today in regards to filling some of the opening seats *bites nails* (not really though, stopped that in elementary school lol)

just to bring this thread to the top. the adcom was supposed to meet today in regards to filling some of the opening seats *bites nails* (not really though, stopped that in elementary school lol)

I totally still bite my nails. And crack my knuckles. And say, "like" a lot. I need to stop all of those things.

I am biting my nails in the hopes that my seat doesn't suddenly get dropped because they still haven't received one of my check deposits.

woah, are they going to let you know if they received it? best of luck though, hopefully it all works out! i'd go back to biting my nails with that kind of worry.

on average, how long did it take everyone to receive their acceptance letter after their phone call?

Hi everyone. I interviewed on 4/24 and was very impressed with the school. I thought the interview went reasonably well. They said that they may make a couple phone calls for the 2-3 seats that they still had open. They also said that they may accept people for next years class (which is what I would like to be accepted for), but I wasn't sure if they also call people who are accepted for the 2014 class.
-Does anyone know their standard practice for this?
-Has anyone been called who interviewed on the 24th?
-Does anyone know when the letters went/go out?

Status
Not open for further replies.