ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Natrod, in my interview, the Dean mentioned how if you get accepted at another school but SOMA is your first choice, then you need to let them know- it might help you get get in.
that's some good advice to everyone on the waitlist as well, if you let them know that SOMA is your first choice it could help you get picked over someone else who is comparable because they know you'll come.

Good luck to everyone interviewing in the next couple of weeks, and everyone on the waitlist! I hope you all hear good news and we can get to know each other in person in a few months!

Members don't see this ad.

I need some advise... I am on the wait list at ATSU and REALLY want to go here. Joyce said i am in the high group and there is a pretty good shot at acceptance. The only problem is i currently have an acceptance at Midwestern and need to let them know by tomorrow. I have already gotten an extension from them, so i am not sure how readily they would grant me another one. Does anyone know how much of a shot i really have here being in the high group of the wait list? I am leaning towards just taking a chance and hoping i am getting an acceptance, because i think i would be much happier at ATSU than i would at midwestern, but don't want to make a stupid decision.

I called up and spoke to Amy Stradling regarding my high waitlist status. I asked her if it would help if I wrote a letter stating that I got into another school but would turn it down to come here and she said "Thats exactly what we want to hear! What we dont want is a letter that sounds like your just begging to get into med school. we want to hear that your an attractive candidate and have offers elsewhere but soma is your first choice" That was more or less in verbatim. She also gave me AMAZING news by saying I was next on the waitlist! So for all you 2013 soma students, I'll be seeing you next year! As for you megaroo, I'm sure I'll be seeing you as well. You can email or send in the letter stating that you got into midwestern but would rather come here and your reasons for wanting to do so (also very important).

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions, I pretty much juiced her for advice

Sean

I called up and spoke to Amy Stradling regarding my high waitlist status. I asked her if it would help if I wrote a letter stating that I got into another school but would turn it down to come here and she said "Thats exactly what we want to hear! What we dont want is a letter that sounds like your just begging to get into med school. we want to hear that your an attractive candidate and have offers elsewhere but soma is your first choice" That was more or less in verbatim. She also gave me AMAZING news by saying I was next on the waitlist! So for all you 2013 soma students, I'll be seeing you next year! As for you megaroo, I'm sure I'll be seeing you as well. You can email or send in the letter stating that you got into midwestern but would rather come here and your reasons for wanting to do so (also very important).

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions, I pretty much juiced her for advice

Sean

nice! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Sean
Sweet! See you in July!

Sean

Hey Sean!
The news that you definitely wanted to hear! Good for you! And to make your life a little bit sweeter.... You will probably be given my spot because I am withdrawing my acceptance ASAP because I got into NYCOM, my first choice school, a couple of days ago! I like when everyone is happy:)
Anyway, best of luck at ATSU, its definitely bittersweet for me to give up my spot because I loved the program and was definitely excited to attend. There are a few personal reasons I really chose NYCOM over ATSU, but the reason I liked both were the similar systems based approach to the curriculum. Anyway, hopefully you'll be hearing the good news soon!

Hey Sean!
The news that you definitely wanted to hear! Good for you! And to make your life a little bit sweeter.... You will probably be given my spot because I am withdrawing my acceptance ASAP because I got into NYCOM, my first choice school, a couple of days ago! I like when everyone is happy:)
Anyway, best of luck at ATSU, its definitely bittersweet for me to give up my spot because I loved the program and was definitely excited to attend. There are a few personal reasons I really chose NYCOM over ATSU, but the reason I liked both were the similar systems based approach to the curriculum. Anyway, hopefully you'll be hearing the good news soon!

Congrats on your first choice! A lot of NYCOM students do years 3 and 4 at Sunset Park in Brooklyn, so maybe you'll be able to hang with the cool SOMA kids when you start rotations, haha.

From what I understand they're going to call 3/20 interviewees today...any idea what time they make calls, anyone?

any idea when students take the boards? late june? I really wanna find out how the students here do.

Hmm, now I have to make the decision between ATSU-SOMA and LECOM-Erie. Man, this is tough..

Yeeaaaaa BOOOOIII!! Count me in for class of 2013!! Interviewed 3/23.......Awrite!!

Last edited:
hopefully i'll hear soon! i interviewed on 3/23 also... i called Amy last thurs and she said my file had not been reviewed yet.. so i don't know. getting so anxious. i sooo want to call tomo and ask! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
for the guys who got in recently... did you get in anywhere else?

I know this will tough to answer since the school has not even graduated a class yet. But, with the way the school is set-up (and with the chc system and all), will there be significant residency options around that area and in the U.S. west in general? I would love to have my residency around that area (and I hear a lot of LECOM-Erie students get situated in the midwest which I don't want). Any conjectures on this?

I know this will tough to answer since the school has not even graduated a class yet. But, with the way the school is set-up (and with the chc system and all), will there be significant residency options around that area and in the U.S. west in general? I would love to have my residency around that area (and I hear a lot of LECOM-Erie students get situated in the midwest which I don't want). Any conjectures on this?

By "that area" do you mean Mesa?

Pretty much.

You're right, I think it's pretty hard to say. But three of the CHC's are in Arizona, with three more in the west (WA, OR, and CA). So if you want to, you'll end up at a CHC out west. And the whole point of the CHC participation is to groom future physicians for their clinics, so each clinic has an incentive to help you find a residency nearby, so they can have you come back after your residency.

That, IMHO, is one of the great benefits of SOMA. You have three years to form relationships with the people who are going to be writing your recommendations, who are going to be mentoring you as to where would be great programs to go, and who know people in those programs.

SOMA's all about keepin' it in the community!

You're right, I think it's pretty hard to say. But three of the CHC's are in Arizona, with three more in the west (WA, OR, and CA). So if you want to, you'll end up at a CHC out west. And the whole point of the CHC participation is to groom future physicians for their clinics, so each clinic has an incentive to help you find a residency nearby, so they can have you come back after your residency.

That, IMHO, is one of the great benefits of SOMA. You have three years to form relationships with the people who are going to be writing your recommendations, who are going to be mentoring you as to where would be great programs to go, and who know people in those programs.

SOMA's all about keepin' it in the community!

Man, if LECOM's significantly lower tuition (and Erie's low cost of living) wasn't so tempting, ATSU-SOMA would be a shoe in for my top pick. I would truly be heart-broken in parting ways with SOMA.

i'ma try calling today, hopefully there will be some sort of news for me! this state of not knowing is no fun! did anyone here also interview on 3/23?

thanks bruce!!
she said i should be getting a call tomorrow or monday.......she also said "the decision isn't final yet because it's waiting on the dean's review" so this means something right? has the school ever like called to let someone know they are WL or rejected? nervous but so excited now!

hope it turns out to be a story like city slicker's!

Last edited:
was wondering if everyone can post the schools that students got into. I wanted to know how selective soma is. Also if anyone knows how many applications they received this year?

yeah i guess reply with schools you got into, interviews you've gone to, and ones you've declined.

got into: tourocom
interviewed at: nova, soma, lm-dcom,lecom-erie, nycom, st.georges, tourocom
declined interview at: wvcom
waitlisted at: soma, nova, lm-dcom, st.georges

Does anyone know how SOMA views re-applicants? Or how most schools view them? I am on the wait list and am trying to think about if i don't get in and end up re-applying again next year. I have acceptances at TOURO-NV and AZCOM. Does it hurt you if you are re-applying having turned down acceptance offers? I just don't know if i can see myself at either one of those schools.

Any input would be helpful.

Does anyone know how SOMA views re-applicants? Or how most schools view them? I am on the wait list and am trying to think about if i don't get in and end up re-applying again next year. I have acceptances at TOURO-NV and AZCOM. Does it hurt you if you are re-applying having turned down acceptance offers? I just don't know if i can see myself at either one of those schools.

Any input would be helpful.

You might tell them that you'd rather reapply next year than go to your other acceptances. I know that you asked earlier about your AZCOM deposit date... Did you ever talk to SOMA about that? If I were them and you told me that you'd give up other acceptances and reapply a year later, I'd accept you like that. (insert snap of fingers here)

But, I would ask the people who's opinion matters most - SOMA's!

Last edited:
yeah i guess reply with schools you got into, interviews you've gone to, and ones you've declined.

got into: tourocom
interviewed at: nova, soma, lm-dcom,lecom-erie, nycom, st.georges, tourocom
declined interview at: wvcom
waitlisted at: soma, nova, lm-dcom, st.georges

All my stuff's on MDApps, you can check it out there by clicking on the link "Profile 10883" under the beautiful picture of Bruce.

meg,

you'll get in. All high waitlisters from the last 2 yrs got in and theres no reason to think you won't either. 20 highwaitlisters have been taken off the list (as per Amy). That means since theres 80 waitlisters in general and 3 groups (low, med, high), about 25-27 students comprise each one. Now, for the past 4 weeks and another 4 from now, waitlisters will not be accepted until the school has a firm grasp of whose claiming a seat. Interviews I believe will be concluded soon as I know theres an interview group tomorrow. Regardless, since 20 have been taken off (all on the high waitlist group), that leaves another half a dozen on the high waitlist. Now theres about 20 seats left (pending deposits that are still yet to be received). Call me crazy, but i'll see you next year and thats coming from someone on the high waitlist. Call SOMA, express your interest, update them with what your doing, the schools you got into and why you want to be a part of what they're doing. It doesn't hurt to also send this email to Dr. Wood, the head dean. Im under the impression that they don't want to be seen as below azcom as there seems to be this assumed pecking order of ASU> AZCOM> SOMA. So expressing how you got into a rival school in azcom and want to go to soma instead, would do you wonders as Amy had expressed to me that we want students here who don't just want to get into any med school but want this one and have expressed to us that they have received invitations to other schools.

Case in point. I'm confident I'll see you next year.

You might tell them that you'd rather reapply next year than go to your other acceptances. I know that you asked earlier about your AZCOM deposit date... Did you ever talk to SOMA about that? If I were them and you told me that you'd give up other acceptances and reapply a year later, I'd accept you like that. (insert snap of fingers here)

But, I would ask the people who's opinion matters most - SOMA's!

I didn't submit the deposit at AZCOM yet - got another week extension. I am just questioning if i want to go there at all, even as a back-up. I would much rather wait a year and go to SOMA than go to AZCOM this year. Just wish i could be guaranteed acceptance next year! Joyce said i am in the top 10 on the wait list, so i think i would have a good shot. Especially if i apply early (I was a pretty late applicant this time around).

I already sent a letter of intent stating reasons SOMA is my top choice and that i would decline the other acceptance offers if offered acceptance at SOMA. I called Joyce and she said they have received it and it is in my file, so hopefully that will help :)

I have been trying to get ahold of SOMA to ask them how they view re-applicants, but so far, no such luck. :(

A hint at people's confidence in SOMA is also the fact that the NHSC doesn't grant scholarships to students attending any school with provisional accredidation - BUT they made a special exception for SOMA. Apparently, they aren't worried about it. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm a little confused about this. I am interested in practicing primary care in a rural area, and intend to apply for the NHSC scholarship. But, according to the school's website, "This scholarship will not be available until the first class graduates." (They even put it in bold like that - not my addition)

Is this old information on their website? What's the deal? Does anyone actually know someone who got this scholarship and is attending the school?

Brucecanbeatyou - you're not the only one to say this, so don't think I'm picking on you. I'm applying next year and am very interested, but I would start school in 2010, and I don't believe the first class will graduate until 2011, right?

Thanks for any info guys!

I'm in the class of 2012. Here's the email we received last week from the Student Services office. I'm not sure if anyone in my class was selected as an NHSC Scholar last year. I applied, and I know a few other students who did also, but none of us were selected. I know quite a few of my classmates are working on applications right now for the current cycle, so hopefully there will be some ATSU-SOMA students picked this time.

"from AZ Student Services <[email protected]>
to [email protected]
date Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:22 AM
subject National Health Service Corp. Scholarship
mailing list mesacampusstudents.atsu.edu

Dental, SOMA and PA Students,
More money has been appropriated to NHSC and therefore they need more participants:
On February 17, 2009, the President signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA). The section of the Act relevant to the NHSC reads as follows: $500,000,000 to address health professions workforce shortages, of which $75,000,000 for the National Health Service Corps shall remain available through September 30, 2011: Provided, That funds may be used to provide scholarships, loan repayment, and grants to training programs for equipment as authorized in the PHS Act, and grants authorized in sections 330L, 747, 767 and 768 of the PHS Act: Provided further, that 20 percent of the funds allocated to the National Health Service Corps shall be used for field operations. Of this $500 million, $300 million is slated for the NHSC. With this additional funding and the short timetable we have to disburse it, we are going to need your help in recruiting more viable candidates for the NHSC! We have always relied heavily on your skills, acumen and willingness to advocate for the underserved and to help us identify and recruit clinicians that are willing to serve in the Nations neediest communities. We are calling yet again for your assistance in helping us recruit an unprecedented number of clinicians into service for the underserved.

>>> "AZ Student Services" <[email protected]> 3/13/2009 12:04 PM >>>
The NHSC Scholarship Program 2009 Application Cycle is open. The application deadline is April 6, 2009. Use the link below. http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/applications/scholarship
For SOMA Students: In section D, please choose Other and then add the school information."

Hope this helps! Best of luck to everyone, and congratulations to those already accepted!

Thanks for the info! That sounds fantastic. :)

I certainly may not get the scholarship, but I didn't want to disqualify myself either!

Just wondering...

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I plan on buying a condo or house and wish to rent it to 2 other students.

hopefully i will know by the end of today or tomorrow. i would prefer today though..... the time is ticking by soooo slowwwwllyyy. i'm getting worried all over again.

Last edited:
In the university catalogue, it says students are required to dress professionally (dress shirts, pants, no sneakers, etc). However, I remember at interview day, the SOMA students were wearing scrubs and one said that's what they did to fulfill the professional dress requirement. Would wearing just scrubs w/ sneaks be good enough?

Hi gumbo-
Our ATSU scrubs are okay in the dress code. Dean doesn't like sneakers, but most of us get away with them if they are clean and not shabby. Business casual is also appropriate. We see occasional blue jeans, but it's frowned upon for official events and class. The best is a polo and khakis for guys, or the teal scrubs for all. I was worried about this as well, and it has turned out not to be a big deal at all!

good luck to all the applicants!
Best,
ukuleleryan

Another thing to remember is that through SOMA you are networked with the CHCs. They have other loan forgiveness programs other than NHSC, and you don't get shipped to the neediest places in the country. Just something to think about if NHSC isn't your top option.

Best,
ukuleleryan

Hey I am a late bloomer wondering if anyone else out there is going to interview on 4/20?

Also what has been the average time for you all to hear back after the interview? Congrats to those who made the cut.

Hey I am a late bloomer wondering if anyone else out there is going to interview on 4/20?

Also what has been the average time for you all to hear back after the interview? Congrats to those who made the cut.

I also have an interview with the 11:00 group on 4/20. I've already been accepted to another school, but researching SOMA I found it really impressive so I'm coming all the way from TN !

I also have an interview with the 11:00 group on 4/20. I've already been accepted to another school, but researching SOMA I found it really impressive so I'm coming all the way from TN !

where else did you get accepted?

It can take anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks to hear back. If you get in you'll find out via a phone call, if you get waitlisted, you'll see it in the mail. THey will go over this with you when your there.

Hey right on i am also in the 11:00 group. Thats awesome that your already accepted somewhere. I put my application in way late so I am just waiting to interview here and then Touro-NV the following week. Im hoping for something.

Hey sean thanks for the heads up.

Anyone remember any interview questions that may have caught you off guard?

Hey right on i am also in the 11:00 group. Thats awesome that your already accepted somewhere. I put my application in way late so I am just waiting to interview here and then Touro-NV the following week. Im hoping for something.

Hey sean thanks for the heads up.

Anyone remember any interview questions that may have caught you off guard?
The interview questions are standardized, check out the interview feedback page and you'll know all the questions they'll ask. The file review is where they go over your file and go over any updates and things they need clarified. Just know what you put in your application and what else you want them to know about you and you should be fine with that. The group exercise has you work with other interviewees to identify a problem in health care and 3 solutions. This exercise is more to see how well you work with others. all in all, just be yourself, and if they think you're a good fit for the school you'll be fine. Good Luck!

Marmot, I wouldnt call u a late bloomer. Mine is scheduled for April 24th. I definitely really want to attend SOMA. I know it gets late in the year, but I'll put my best effort into it and hope I'll make it.

Joyce just told me their class is officially full =/ They're still doing interviews and making acceptances that guarantee applicants for next year's cycle. Or they may consider opening more seats for this year's class. Sounds like chances are slim :(

The way i see it, its a great school, i don't mind waiting another year to get in =)

Last edited:
What a great perspective, I'm really excited to meet the kinds of people that SOMA attracts for sure. Good luck!

well i've been a long time lurker and recently started posting, and man bruce, i'd be stoked if i could get in this year and meet all of you guys and gals!

Status
Not open for further replies.