Buffalo vs. NYMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kelf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Buffalo vs. NYMC? Thoughts? I appreciate any advice on the matter...

Members don't see this ad.

NYMC:
Expensive all around
Better area (close to city)
3rd-4th year options (Westchester, NYC, Conn)
On-campus housing avail

Buffalo:
Less expensive, cheap housing
Classes till 12
Crappier area (Buffalo = pretty lame)
4 area hospitals

Rank Buffalo = NYMC more or less
Research- Buffalo
Better specialty/clinical - NYMC

All in all I don't really like either school, I'd prolly take a year off and reapply. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked a neurosurgeon at northwestern if I should go to buffalo over several other schools including NYMC for pursuing neurosurgery and he said buffalo without a doubt. Take a year off? That some good advice.....

I asked a neurosurgeon at northwestern if I should go to buffalo over several other schools including NYMC for pursuing neurosurgery and he said buffalo without a doubt. Take a year off? That some good advice.....

I've work in Ortho and am interested in the field as well. All the physicians that I've asked have said to go to Buffalo as well (not very much hesitation on my side either 0101010101). I guess I'm just not that thrilled about moving from NYC to buffalo and NYMC is way closer.... Are you definitely headed to UB?

Does anyone else have thoughts on clinical experiences at Buffalo vs. NYMC for specialties like Ortho?

Yeah, I'm definitely going to Buffalo. Also, look at the match lists. I think you just kinda gotta forget about where your comfort zone is relative to home and just do what is best for your education. I live in a pretty sick city right now and had the chance to stay here for med but its not best academically. It's only 4 years too. You're not stuck there forever. Like I could ever live in Buffalo hahaha. I think that being a part of a major university will be awesome for access to facilities, students that aren't just in healthcare, etc.

I hate to be that guy but...bumppppp

Now a year later, the main change to this debate has to be the financial instability at NYMC. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

I think Buffalo mainly consists of In-State students and they have better research.

At NYMC, my interviewer told me that if you're looking to excel in research, this is not the place for you.
And as for NYMC's location - yes it is close to Manhattan, but total time from the med school to the city is about 1.5 hours, so its not that simple. The school is pretty far from the MetroNorth train station. Plus if you're going out, you always have to catch a 2:30AM train back to White Plains from NYC.

In my opinion, NYMC claiming NYC as their own is the same thing as Buffalo repping Montreal. Montreal is a really fun city too.

Granted I am biased because I will be attending UB next year and didn't get an interview at NYMC, but here is my take on some of the things people have been saying. Yes Buffalo has plenty of OOS students, ~25% according to the MSAR (myself included). Toronto which in my opinion is one of the most fun cities anywhere is less than 2 hours away and Buffalo itself is not a bad city in its own right for students. Despite what some people think it has theaters, art galleries (world renowned), culture, etc...which is why people want a big city, like New York, but for 1/2 the price, 2 major professional sports teams and some up and coming college teams. While it may not have the upscale clubs, the city does have plenty of bars for nightlife, not to mention how often are med students going to have the time to party all night. Buffalo does not have that many upscale restaurants, but then again what medical student can really afford to go to those, I don't think think loans and/or finnancial aid go to covering fancy restaurants. As for the school themselves if you like to just be able to say your school is ranked on some arbitrary factors then UB is ranked, but I wouldn't take too much stock in that. From what I have heard people love the new curriculum and think that the academics at UB are greatly increasing, I don't know that much about NYMC academics and curriculum so I can't speak to that. Also UB is having money thrown at it despite the economic problems (UB 2020, its a whole school wide project, but the med school is getting alot of that development). Thats just my 2 cents.

As a UB system resident who did not attend UB, I can say that the majority of the med students I've encountered in their 3rd and 4th years are bright, happy, and well-prepared for clinicals. Plenty of sick people, some solid institutions to learn medicine.

Keep an eye on total cost for your education. Go cheapest always. Trust me.

In my opinion, NYMC claiming NYC as their own is the same thing as Buffalo repping Montreal. Montreal is a really fun city too.

That is a good point. Montreal is a bit far (5.5 hour drive), but claiming Toronto would actually be pretty similar. It is about an hour and fifteen minute drive away from Buffalo and a much cooler city than Buffalo.

Maybe Buffalo should try that to increase their location value by claiming Toronto. They can even say that their NFL team plays there for "home" games.

Members don't see this ad :)
After seeing both, I would pick NYMC in a heartbeat.

However, I recently saw the cost of NYMC and for that reason alone, I would pick Buffalo.

I would say the two things primarily holding me back from 100% committing to Buffalo is weather and location. Buffalo is significantly colder than Valhalla but I guess I can deal with that. But being 30-40 minutes from NYC vs. 2h to Toronto kinda sucks. I'm a Yelp fiend and the surrounding Buffalo area looks kinda bleh...but who knows, maybe the presence of T.O.'s and his media entourage will sprout up some new businesses.

There is no way Buffalo gives you enough of an advantage in terms of reputation, academics to overcome the location disparity. If you're not concerned about the Touro thing, I'd say NYMC.

cost is huge. If you are taking loans the difference is going to be massive MASSIVE. If I had to choose between a state school and a private school I would have to go with the state school

There is no way Buffalo gives you enough of an advantage in terms of reputation, academics to overcome the location disparity. If you're not concerned about the Touro thing, I'd say NYMC.

I forgot to say that the 2 biggest things going for Buffalo are cost and the Touro black cloud...

I think Buffalo mainly consists of In-State students and they have better research.

At NYMC, my interviewer told me that if you're looking to excel in research, this is not the place for you.
And as for NYMC's location - yes it is close to Manhattan, but total time from the med school to the city is about 1.5 hours, so its not that simple. The school is pretty far from the MetroNorth train station. Plus if you're going out, you always have to catch a 2:30AM train back to White Plains from NYC.

Huh? Time on the metro train to grand central is 40 minutes. Valhalla station is right down the road. Besides, NYC starts at the Bronx, not Manhattan which is further south... and what's in the Bronx? Montifiore - university hospital of Einstein and a NYMC affiliate.

NYMC's second university hospital is... St. Vincent's in Manhattan. There's a second clinical campus down there. Student housing. Half of the 3rd/4th years live in the city. Buses are provided for lecture days.

In short, I think NYMC has every right to "claim" NYC. Westchester is, after all a suburb of NYC. Why do people on SDN put down NYMC when they know so little about it?

That being said, if you're getting in-state tuition at Buffalo then that's a major consideration.

Last edited:
Huh? Time on the metro train to grand central is 40 minutes. Valhalla station is right down the road. Besides, NYC starts at the Bronx, not Manhattan which is further south... and what's in the Bronx? Montifiore - university hospital of Einstein and a NYMC affiliate.

NYMC's second university hospital is... St. Vincent's in Manhattan. There's a second clinical campus down there. Student housing. Half of the 3rd/4th years live in the city. Buses are provided for lecture days.

In short, I think NYMC has every right to "claim" NYC. Westchester is, after all a suburb of NYC. Why do people on SDN put down NYMC when they know so little about it?

That being said, if you're getting in-state tuition at Buffalo then that's a major consideration.

Yea NYMC to NYC is 30-40m compared to Buffalo to Toronto which is 2h? That's a big difference.

Gplex - I'm assuming you are a student at NYMC? How do you feel about Touro and is there any new news?

Yea NYMC to NYC is 30-40m compared to Buffalo to Toronto which is 2h? That's a big difference.

Gplex - I'm assuming you are a student at NYMC? How do you feel about Touro and is there any new news?

No news. My personal feeling is that NYMC has a lot to gain from the partnership (a lot more funding, room to expand) although there is some risk as with any change.

Supposedly NYMC will remain independent and retain its staff, which is why the administration has changed the language from "merger" to "partnership/sponsorship". What will be the actual result? I suppose time will tell. I feel that we have the potential to become a real powerhouse if this whole thing goes well - if it happens at all. That's basically what the president/CEO told us at the meetings, that NYMC needs to grow but right now we don't have the resources to do it.

And, to be honest, I haven't seen real substantive arguements against linking up with Touro. A lot of it's just MD versus DO crap, which doesn't even apply to this situation. And if the deal falls through and Touro goes ahead and builds its own MD school in New Jersey - premeds will be knocking down the doors trying to gain admission.

No news. My personal feeling is that NYMC has a lot to gain from the partnership (a lot more funding, room to expand) although there is some risk as with any change.

Supposedly NYMC will remain independent and retain its staff, which is why the administration has changed the language from "merger" to "partnership/sponsorship". What will be the actual result? I suppose time will tell. I feel that we have the potential to become a real powerhouse if this whole thing goes well - if it happens at all. That's basically what the president/CEO told us at the meetings, that NYMC needs to grow but right now we don't have the resources to do it.

And, to be honest, I haven't seen real substantive arguements against linking up with Touro. A lot of it's just MD versus DO crap, which doesn't even apply to this situation. And if the deal falls through and Touro goes ahead and builds its own MD school in New Jersey - premeds will be knocking down the doors trying to gain admission.

I always thought the biggest concern of NYMC students was the reputation of Touro w/ their diploma scandal?

I always thought the biggest concern of NYMC students was the reputation of Touro w/ their diploma scandal?

Depends - but again I see this as a superficial argument. The diploma scandal involved a few people, all of whom were found out and turned in by Touro to the authorities. It was discovered internally, and I think that's an important detail.

The concern, according to President Adler, is more that this shows "growing pains" on account of Touro's rapid expansion. That's a legitimate (but ultimately short term) concern. Did the scandal expose Touro's administration to be a bunch of degree-mill crooks? NO. Have Touro's other medical & professional students been affected in the match or in the job market? Not to my knowledge.

What I see are people just yelling "oh, there was a SCANDAL!" without really delving into what happened, what it means, or how it might affect NYMC. Multiple firms have been hired to analyze this. I'm interested in what THEY have to say.

Buffalo isn't that bad- I can find plenty more lame places to attend school in. It's funny because I have met many students while in undergrad/grad school who are from the NYC area, and after being here for a few years while in school they love it :confused: It may be different from NYC, but by no means does that tarnish its reputation. If you are into research, COME HERE!! I do research at a cancer center and it seems as if everyone there, as well as in other UB affiliated labs, are just waiting for more interested researchers to come along. I have spoken with a lot of UB med students and residents, and really the only common complaint I heard was that they hated how it was set up to dissect cadavers, they felt as if there was too many people to one body, making it difficult to study and get good dissections.

As for the weather...it usually only snows between January and March, maybe in a bad year that will change slightly. For the last 6 or 7 years the winter weather hasn't been that bad (and I personally HATE winter, so that is really something for me to say it's not that bad).

Good luck in your decision, if UB is still kind of lingering in your mind, talk to any of us on SDN who has lived here and we can give you a better insight into what it's like. :oops: If going DO, have you considered NYCOM? I know many students who have went there and just raved about it, just thought I'd throw that out there :)

I'll probably be attending UB this coming fall, and I definitely agree that compared to NYMC, the research at UB is stronger. Every single cancer biologist that I've run into and I told them I was probably attending UB has said that Roswell Park Cancer Institute is one of the best cancer programs in the country. I agree that the location leaves much to be desired, but then again, you probably won't have much time to go out, so it's not that big of an issue. It's sort of our pre-med mentalities to think of getting in and enrolling into a school as the ultimate goal, but you just have to keep in mind that you have another 30+ years in a career after this. As long as you do well, go wherever the heck you want after.

But yes, I do agree that winters in general suck, unless you live next to a ski slope =)

MadMnkey- Congrats! I hope you enjoy UB. I'm applying this year for Fall 2010, right now I am in grad school at Roswell Park through UB and it is amazing!:D I hope someday maybe you will get a chance to rotate through there.

I'll probably be attending UB this coming fall, and I definitely agree that compared to NYMC, the research at UB is stronger. Every single cancer biologist that I've run into and I told them I was probably attending UB has said that Roswell Park Cancer Institute is one of the best cancer programs in the country. I agree that the location leaves much to be desired, but then again, you probably won't have much time to go out, so it's not that big of an issue. It's sort of our pre-med mentalities to think of getting in and enrolling into a school as the ultimate goal, but you just have to keep in mind that you have another 30+ years in a career after this. As long as you do well, go wherever the heck you want after.

But yes, I do agree that winters in general suck, unless you live next to a ski slope =)

On the flip side, I would say that the clinical opportunities provided by NYMC are superior. You have the opportunity to learn medicine in a small rural setting, and the largest city in the US, and it essentially is your choice. Say what you want, but there is a huge difference between learning medicine in a city with 200k people and a city with 8 million people. Also, the city 2 minutes from Valhalla, White Plains, has a population just as big as buffalo during the day.

NYMC is not a research power house, nor does it claim to be. If you want to go into research and are really thinking 30 years down the road, I wouldn't go to buffalo or nymc, but would probably look at a school that allows you to roll your eyes after you say it at a coctail party.

Status
Not open for further replies.