Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL, I am a mental health therapist with 10 years of experience. To be honest, the reason I want to go to BCOM is the high crime and high addiction rate in NM. All of my patients fit the demographic BCOM wants to target. I was sold on the mission and patients who suffer from addiction and mental illness. Can't wait to start school.

Yea but some people can't seem to believe that future doctors can be passionate about working with a specific demographic hence all the bs comments. Though that reverse psychology was on point haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Funny how you both avoided all the [valid] points I made. Because you know it's true. :whistle:

And for a "mental health therapist," you are way off.

It's okay, haters are my motivators ;)

Funny how you both avoided all the [valid] points I made. Because you know it's true. :whistle:

And for a "mental health therapist," you are way off.

It's okay, haters are my motivators ;)

In a nutshell, these are your "valid" points: 1) no one can possibly be passionate about working in the borderplex area and 2) anyone going to bcom are only going there because it's their only choice.

Basically, you made this "new" account to disparage people going here or will go there which doesn't add much to your credibility. When you bring up "valid" points without mocking other students then maybe people will actually think about your points.

No hate. Hating takes too much effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
In a nutshell, these are your "valid" points: 1) no one can possibly be passionate about working in the borderplex area and 2) anyone going to bcom are only going there because it's their only choice.

Basically, you made this "new" account to disparage people going here or will go there which doesn't add much to your credibility. When you bring up "valid" points without mocking other students then maybe people will actually think about your points.

No hate. Hating takes too much effort.

Look at what he said originally without getting defensive. If you take an honest step back you'll more than likely see he's predominantly right. Now the tone of the post was a tad harsh and may be a little over exaggerated, but on the whole most people do not choose BCOM over established programs. There's some real positives about BCOM, but ignoring the deficits or choosing to romanticize the school is not the way to go. That being said I did enjoy BCOM and las cruces, but wished the school had been around 10-15 years!

Look at what he said originally without getting defensive. If you take an honest step back you'll more than likely see he's predominantly right. Now the tone of the post was a tad harsh and may be a little over exaggerated, but on the whole most people do not choose BCOM over established programs. There's some real positives about BCOM, but ignoring the deficits or choosing to romanticize the school is not the way to go. That being said I did enjoy BCOM and las cruces, but wished the school had been around 10-15 years!

I don't have problems with people critiquing a school. I've said in posts before that this is a newer school and there will be flaws. For one, you can't compare boards but what can you do? My point is if people have problems with the school, no one is telling them to go there. I'm just not getting how repeatedly pointing out that people are only going here because it's their only choice is a valid point to make about a program's potential. I'm happy for people who got in and those who got into other programs they like and will go there. In the end, the important thing is to become a good doctor who will help others. There are definitely positives and negatives about going to bcom but you'll have that at every program. No one is saying bcom is the greatest thing to ever exist. Pretty sure people weigh their options before dropping $3k on the deposit or $50k tuition.

Made an account just to post this because this thread is hilarious....

If you people want to sugar coat BCOM and brainwash yourselves into thinking that this school is the greatest on the planet, by all means. But we all know that no one's first choice is BCOM. And we all know that all of y'all are getting the f*** outta there once you graduate.

I didn't get wrapped up in all the "high tech" excitement.. You mean the investors' money? That's how they were able to afford all that shiet. The dean isn't thinking of anyone in his best interest, he's making money off of you guys.. Not to mention he seemed unenthusiastic and was incredibly dull throughout the entire interview presentation. I've seen a lot of for-profit schools, but after reading these articles, this is the most extreme and it looks as if this school is nothing but a business.

BCOM literally forces their mission down your throat, and let's be real, no one wants to work near the border where the crime rate is 3x the amount of any place in the US. Everyone on here is in denial.

Just say straight up that the only reason you're going to the school is because it's the only one you got into. Don't try to cover its tracks or act like you're really "passionate" about the mission. Message me in 4 years and I'll bet that not even ONE of you will be in that crap of an area for residency.

I talked to a couple of the students here and they said that after a semester of living in Las Cruces, they just wanna get the f*** out of there.

I know I'm gonna get responses from people trying cover BCOM's a** and saying I'm such a "hater" and to "take my hate elsewhere," lol. Whatever. Just being real, not fake like half of you on here.

Btw, I didn't say crap about their mission during my interview and was accepted here back in October. But did not want to wipe out my bank account and pay that b**** of a deposit. Anyways, toodles.

lol
200_s.gif

Reactions: 5 users

If you people want to sugar coat BCOM and brainwash yourselves into thinking that this school is the greatest on the planet, by all means. But we all know that no one's first choice is BCOM. And we all know that all of y'all are getting the f*** outta there once you graduate.

I didn't get wrapped up in all the "high tech" excitement.. You mean the investors' money? That's how they were able to afford all that shiet. The dean isn't thinking of anyone in his best interest, he's making money off of you guys.. Not to mention he seemed unenthusiastic and was incredibly dull throughout the entire interview presentation. I've seen a lot of for-profit schools, but after reading these articles, this is the most extreme and it looks as if this school is nothing but a business.

BCOM literally forces their mission down your throat, and let's be real, no one wants to work near the border where the crime rate is 3x the amount of any place in the US. Everyone on here is in denial.

Just say straight up that the only reason you're going to the school is because it's the only one you got into. Don't try to cover its tracks or act like you're really "passionate" about the mission. Message me in 4 years and I'll bet that not even ONE of you will be in that crap of an area for residency.

I talked to a couple of the students here and they said that after a semester of living in Las Cruces, they just wanna get the f*** out of there.

I know I'm gonna get responses from people trying cover BCOM's a** and saying I'm such a "hater" and to "take my hate elsewhere," lol. Whatever. Just being real, not fake like half of you on here.

Btw, I didn't say crap about their mission during my interview and was accepted here back in October. But did not want to wipe out my bank account and pay that b**** of a deposit. Anyways, toodles.

You know, I find it funny that you who was here for only a couple of hours in the morning about 7-8 months ago can come up with such a critical assessment of this school. By no means is it the greatest med school to ever exist. Every school has it's problems and ours certainly has quite a few just like any other. Nobody who started here at this school expected it to be completely perfect especially in the first year and nobody coming in should expect that either.

I think it's good to be realistic when trying to figure out where you want to spend the next big phase of your life, however your opinions are overly critical and unnecessarily harsh. Believe it or not, a good number of students here turned down other schools to come to BCOM. One student even turned down an MD program. I'm not saying that it's a very common occurrence, but this is the truth whether you want to believe it or not.

It's true. Most students probably want to get away from this region as quickly as possible. Las Cruces is by no means a glamorous place to live while you're in your twenties or even thirties, but there are also several students from our class who grew up here and others who have made this area their home and wish to stay after graduation. I think in the coming years it will be much more common to see graduates of this institution end up staying here to practice. Before this year, there was only one medical school in the state so the college pre-med programs here were quite lackluster. Now that students in the area know what opportunities are available to them, eventually the school will more completely fulfill it's mission to supply more physicians to the state of New Mexico. Nothing happens overnight. This is no exception.

The last point I would like to speak to is the dedication of the students here to the community. Many students actually chose to attend here because they wanted to make some sort of difference. Several of the clubs on campus have volunteered on many occasions with the local elementary, middle, high schools, universities and have even done homeless outreach.

Say what you want about the school. I know you're not going to change your mind and I'm not here to make you see the school in a different light because you're not going to believe anything I say. I just want to point out to anybody reading this that BCOM is a good school. It's one of those things you can tell from the inside looking out and maybe not so much from the outside looking in. BCOM isn't perfect, but by no means is it a terrible school either.

Reactions: 6 users
"It's one of those things you can tell from the inside looking out and maybe not so much from the outside looking in." -TexasMedic15!!!

Reactions: 2 users

Invalid points. They're so competitive they waitlisted me!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I find it funny that you who was here for only a couple of hours in the morning about 7-8 months ago can come up with such a critical assessment of this school. By no means is it the greatest med school to ever exist. Every school has it's problems and ours certainly has quite a few just like any other. Nobody who started here at this school expected it to be completely perfect especially in the first year and nobody coming in should expect that either.

I think it's good to be realistic when trying to figure out where you want to spend the next big phase of your life, however your opinions are overly critical and unnecessarily harsh. Believe it or not, a good number of students here turned down other schools to come to BCOM. One student even turned down an MD program. I'm not saying that it's a very common occurrence, but this is the truth whether you want to believe it or not.

It's true. Most students probably want to get away from this region as quickly as possible. Las Cruces is by no means a glamorous place to live while you're in your twenties or even thirties, but there are also several students from our class who grew up here and others who have made this area their home and wish to stay after graduation. I think in the coming years it will be much more common to see graduates of this institution end up staying here to practice. Before this year, there was only one medical school in the state so the college pre-med programs here were quite lackluster. Now that students in the area know what opportunities are available to them, eventually the school will more completely fulfill it's mission to supply more physicians to the state of New Mexico. Nothing happens overnight. This is no exception.

The last point I would like to speak to is the dedication of the students here to the community. Many students actually chose to attend here because they wanted to make some sort of difference. Several of the clubs on campus have volunteered on many occasions with the local elementary, middle, high schools, universities and have even done homeless outreach.

Say what you want about the school. I know you're not going to change your mind and I'm not here to make you see the school in a different light because you're not going to believe anything I say. I just want to point out to anybody reading this that BCOM is a good school. It's one of those things you can tell from the inside looking out and maybe not so much from the outside looking in. BCOM isn't perfect, but by no means is it a terrible school either.
Thanks for taking the time to write that. I'm coming to this school bacause a) my mission fits their mission b) I like the southwest, including las cruces c) my gut instinct tells me that BCOM is going to be successful enough to provide a platform for me to launch my career.

Reactions: 1 users
Out of curiosity...you've seen a "lot" of for profit schools? Care to elaborate on that?

RVU...BCOM...

As far as I'm aware those are the only two programs in the country that are for-profit (yes, I realize RVU is opening a second campus). I'd also appreciate some insight into how you believe that BCOM is the most extreme example of this?

This might help solidify your point. I figure you're either 1) trolling (in which case...maybe step away from the keyboard for a second, because yikes.) or 2) legitimately want to give people some realistic insight. If this is the case, providing some information to support your claims would be beneficial, not only to future students but to current students as well.

Once you become a DO or an MD it doesn't matter which school you went to, because it all depends on your board scores and residency.

Last edited:
Once you become a DO or an MD it doesn't matter which school you went to, because it all depends on your board scores and residency. If I went to BCOM or Harvard it don't matter because they will teach you the same topics.
image.jpg

Last edited:
That post is correct to an extent. The reality is a lower board score from Harvard will do better than the same score from BCOM (or ANY DO school, that is). You can make up for a lot with a good board score. As far as the education...I'd say that's probably equal. The human body doesn't work differently at BCOM than it does at Harvard or Hopkins, or UNM, or any of the UC schools. It will contribute, to an extent, to your residency apps.

The reality is, coming out of a DO program...program directors don't know as much about them. There aren't very many DO programs that have a lot of notoriety amongst residencies so...it is what it is.
Now. If you get into Harvard and BCOM and don't go to Harvard...I mean...come on.

Wow, this post is actually more hurtful than the post I made a few weeks back. It seems you were a bit frustrated at the world and needed to vent somewhere and decided SDN was the right place to do it. (Wrong.)

I don't understand why you would say BCOM "forces their mission down your throat". I did not get that vibe at all. In fact, the secondary doesn't even require you to talk about the mission like most schools.. instead they want you to make a video so they can better understand who YOU are as a person. As far as working near the border... I actually do want to work near the border. Originally from the PNW I always thought working near the border would be a very interesting place to practice medicine. You are seeing first-hand health disparities similar to that of a third-world country right in your backyard... personally I think aiding in addressing those challenges would be an honor.

And yes, I know your account is banned now, but I would like more elaboration on your experience with "for-profit" medical schools. Right now in the U.S. I believe there are 4 medical schools that are for-profit. BCOM (DO) , RVU (DO), California Northstate (MD), and another MD degree-granting school-- I'm sorry I cannot recall the name right now... I've never heard anything bad about these schools solely because they are "for-profit".

As for the interview, I actually really enjoyed the dean's presentation and thought it was really informative. Most medical schools do not have the dean give a presentation. In my experience, if the dean is present at all, they come in for like two minutes and say something like "thank you for your interest in our school" and then just leave the room lol. I did not get the vibe that the dean was being insincere or unenthusiastic, I think his demeanor in general is just rather calm, and his humor is somewhat deadpan lol:laugh:

Anyways, going to BCOM does require a leap of faith, but I think they have very competent staff and have the resources available to put good doctors out into the world. Just putting in my two cents. Feel free to slaughter my post and share your opinion. :)

Nice try with the reverse psychology:) It seems like BCOM is the only choice you have and are trying to use disparaging comments to intimidate others so they can drop out to make the WL shorter. Whatever it takes, right? :)
If that's true, then he/she is going to make a very poor physician.

Will be withdrawing my DA! I really liked the school but its too far from home. I love my dog.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Will be withdrawing my DA! I really liked the school but its too far from home. I love my dog.

Are you withdrawing because you will be attending another school in the Fall? If not, keep the DA just so you have an acceptance for Fall 2018 in case others schools don't accept you next cycle (if you are reapplying).

Still DA list. The releases from the WL will begin this week. People who survive the releases are likely to end up on the acceptance list. Tough month for the WL :(
I'm still on the DA and haven't been pulled off yet

Same. Praying it'll be sooner than later, so I have time to plan a move.
if you get pulled off, get on the fb page asap. everyone will help you get organized for a move as efficiently as possible. one way or the other, it all works out.

I will be giving up my seat here. Really tough decision, love the school and curriculum. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users

I don't even know where to start with this. I can see that this account has been banned, but I'm going to respond for the sake of everyone else reading this thread. To start off, I am a member of the inaugural class and when I finalized my decision to attend BCOM I turned down one other acceptance and canceled two interviews.

Despite what Omeomy asserts, a large number of our students were drawn to BCOM because of its mission, and enjoy living here. Las Cruces is neither large nor glamorous, but it's a nice town, and if you need more of a "big city" experience every once in a while, you can just pop over to El Paso. It's not far. Personally, I think Las Cruces is the perfect size, but I grew up in a metroplex and hated it, so to each their own. And I gotta say, I have lived in several states, but never have I had such easy and widespread access to amazing Mexican food. And two words: Green Chile. I don't know how I lived before without green chile. Also, Las Cruces may not be large, but it's hardly a podunk town where nothing ever happens. Garth Brooks was here in concert last month, and this weekend I have tickets to Phantom of the Opera.

Our class in particular had a heavy selection bias towards people who ARE passionate about the mission. I can say that this was true for myself, and I know it is true for many of my classmates. I was incredibly excited about BCOM because I've done extensive humanitarian work in Mexico, and I want to incorporate international humanitarian work into my practice. I know of many others who feel similarly. For anyone who is familiar with what our class has been doing this past year, this diffuse dedication to service is obvious. We have a number of clubs on campus that have been incredibly active in the community, doing all kinds of fundraising and outreach. Our pediatrics club even won Chapter of the Year at the ACOP national convention because of how active we were.

I'm going to have to call BS on Omeomy's assertions about the dean in a big way. Dr. Mychaskiw cares deeply about us and about this school. BCOM was a passion project for him, and it shows. He is always accessible by students and is quick to act when a student brings a problem to his attention. The dean knows pretty much all of us by name, which I find impressive. Also, despite what Omeomy says, the dean does track the BCOM threads on SDN. He has told me himself that he knows my SDN username, and I know other students who got called out by him for not acting professional on this forum. The first time I ever spoke to him in person he knew exactly who I was and said he appreciated how I always conducted myself with professionalism and positivity.

Will I be in this area for residency? I don't know, it depends on how the match goes. There aren't currently any residencies for my specialty of choice in Las Cruces, but regardless of where I do my training, I am planning to come back and do loan forgiveness in New Mexico. There are so many variables in life that I can't say if I will end up living permanently in New Mexico, but if I did, I would be perfectly content with that outcome. Omeomy, you seem to mistake your own personal distaste for this state and the border region for a universal truth when it is merely your personal opinion. It takes a hard headed and foolish person to think that their beliefs and opinions are universally shared by all.

I will finish by saying that we are new and we are the first class, which means that we have inevitably had some growing pains to work through. But the administration is very responsive to our feedback and is always trying to improve. Our class is extraordinarily tight knit, collaborative, and supportive of each other. A couple months ago we had a visit from COCA and they told us that we are happier than most of the first year classes they see. There are always complaints, but this is not unique to BCOM. Even just wandering around SDN should show you that there are people out there who are chronically unhappy about everything and treat their displeasures as if it's Literally The Worst Thing In The Whole World.

If anyone has questions they would like answered by an actual student of this school, feel free to message me. If you have a specific question, I will happily give you as honest a response as I can about both the struggles and benefits of attending BCOM.

Reactions: 13 users
Withdrew from my seat as of 2 days ago, hopefully one of you lovely folks gets some good news as a result! For what it's worth, I was impressed with the school, I think they have considerable promise and I appreciate their cognizance of the local healthcare environment and active participation in the community. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

That post is correct to an extent. The reality is a lower board score from Harvard will do better than the same score from BCOM (or ANY DO school, that is). You can make up for a lot with a good board score. As far as the education...I'd say that's probably equal. The human body doesn't work differently at BCOM than it does at Harvard or Hopkins, or UNM, or any of the UC schools. It will contribute, to an extent, to your residency apps.

You're confusing education with subject.

Still on Deferred list also. Has anyone emailed or called them to see how many more are on the deferred list?
Last time I talked to Adrian was about 2.5 weeks ago and at that point there were still 75 people on the DA list. It started with around 150. I don't know what's happened in the last couple of weeks bough as far as numbers.

Withdrew from my seat as of 2 days ago, hopefully one of you lovely folks gets some good news as a result! For what it's worth, I was impressed with the school, I think they have considerable promise and I appreciate their cognizance of the local healthcare environment and active participation in the community. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

To where are you headed instead?

I will be declining my seat here soon once I actually let it sink in that I got accepted elsewhere! Good luck to those waiting!

There is not much that says "I have a small dick" quite like this post does! To go to the effort of creating an account and spending the time to write that post, how pathetic! I guarantee that the guy who wrote that post has a chip on his shoulder because he is a 30 year old virgin who spent his teen years getting shoved in lockers, get a life bro!

When I interviewed at Burrell I instantly fell in love with the school and the fact that it is a new program and they have an innovative spirit! I could not be more excited about being apart of the BCOM class of 2021!

There is not much that says "I have a small dick" quite like this post does! To go to the effort of creating an account and spending the time to write that post, how pathetic! I guarantee that the guy who wrote that post has a chip on his shoulder because he is a 30 year old virgin who spent his teen years getting shoved in lockers, get a life bro!

When I interviewed at Burrell I instantly fell in love with the school and the fact that it is a new program and they have an innovative spirit! I could not be more excited about being apart of the BCOM class of 2021!
Some slight irony in the fact you heckle him for creating an account to make that comment when you created an account to make this comment.

Reactions: 3 users
Some slight irony in the fact you heckle him for creating an account to make that comment when you created an account to make this comment.

Ya ill admit I couldn't resist responding to that post because I hate people who say things like that and go out of their way to bring other people down because of their own insecurities.

omg why is this thread so aggressive?
here.jpg

Last edited:
Ya ill admit I couldn't resist responding to that post because I hate people who say things like that and go out of their way to bring other people down because of their own insecurities.
A dog barks.
Another dog barks at that dog.

Bystanders are equally annoyed by both.

Tossing insults at someone then talking about how great BCOM does nothing for the image of the program. It's one of those "eye for an eye" things.