Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
YOU GUYS. That mesenteric torsion not only made it through surgery - he got to go HOME! :soexcited: Absolutely incredible! The whole hospital was rooting for him and his recovery. I’ll never forget that dog.
I hope that owner understands how insanely lucky they are! Those so rarely end well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
YOU GUYS. That mesenteric torsion not only made it through surgery - he got to go HOME! :soexcited: Absolutely incredible! The whole hospital was rooting for him and his recovery. I’ll never forget that dog.

craziness. I wanna know how much intestine the poor dog has left after all that.

This week was pretty hellish, I was there a few hours after my shift every day just trying to finish my calls and files. But today a client brought me flowers and a card for all I did for their cat this week and it just made it all totally worth it :love:

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My closest friends are either doing internships or at decently sized hospitals in the middle of nowhere so they see all kinds of crazy emergencies and complicated things.

Meanwhile I'm over here like "uh yeah I had like 4 "check eye" appointments today..." :laugh:

• Love
  • Haha

Whoa. That’s super impressive. You guys must have caught it fasttt.

So I started a residency program that’s rolled in with a masters right. They gave me the impression early on I would be assigned to a research project, so I didn’t put much thought into looking for a supervisor or whatever. Found out a month ago that this is not the case, you have to go and find projects! But don’t worry, you’ll have lots of time to figure that out in the first semester of your program. Ok cool. I also was under the assumption there was a relatively prescribed schedule of courses we’re supposed to take. Arrive here to find out no, this is a lawless land where you take whatever you and your supervisor need to take. Which would be nice if I had one... and oh yeah courses start next week. I am stresseddddd ya’ll.

Also I’m the only one in this position because one girl sought out her research project before applying, and the other girl did her vet degree here so she already knows everyone and has a project tentatively lined up. So also feeling a bit out of place which isn’t helping lol

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
So I started a residency program that’s rolled in with a masters right. They gave me the impression early on I would be assigned to a research project, so I didn’t put much thought into looking for a supervisor or whatever. Found out a month ago that this is not the case, you have to go and find projects! But don’t worry, you’ll have lots of time to figure that out in the first semester of your program. Ok cool. I also was under the assumption there was a relatively prescribed schedule of courses we’re supposed to take. Arrive here to find out no, this is a lawless land where you take whatever you and your supervisor need to take. Which would be nice if I had one... and oh yeah courses start next week. I am stresseddddd ya’ll.

Also I’m the only one in this position because one girl sought out her research project before applying, and the other girl did her vet degree here so she already knows everyone and has a project tentatively lined up. So also feeling a bit out of place which isn’t helping lol
Don't just settle for something or you will be miserable. I would ask your resident/intern mates and current class if they have recommendations then I would chat with people already working in that lab for honest assessment. I feel like part of the reason research is so draining is that you are the one in charge of most things and have to figure it out on your own as you go. There is no straight line to walk.

Reactions: 5 users
On a related note, I wish there was a big list somewhere of "questions vets want answered by research" that you could look through :laugh: Would make picking a topic much easier for someone like me, who is interested in everything but has no idea what actually needs further investigation lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
On a related note, I wish there was a big list somewhere of "questions vets want answered by research" that you could look through :laugh: Would make picking a topic much easier for someone like me, who is interested in everything but has no idea what actually needs further investigation lol
Why are dogs so adorable?

Would probably be shorter to list things that we don't want answered by research?

Reactions: 1 user
Optimal spay/neuter time :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Are we talking benchtop work or clinical trials?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we talking benchtop work or clinical trials?

For me specifically anything pathology related lol. So more on the bench top work side! If it involves an equine neoplasia that would be awesome <3

For me specifically anything pathology related lol. So more on the bench top work side! If it involves an equine neoplasia that would be awesome <3
Heh I am not horse person so don't know enough to know what vets don't know about their neoplasms...because I know next to nothing :thinking:

I was bit by a cat during my internship over a month ago. I went to the hospital and got IV antibiotics within 12 hours. Two days later I had to get surgery; they debrided the wound, opened the joint and put in a drain. I was totally out for two weeks and I’m only now back to more regular duties. It sucks a lot. I still don’t have full use of my hand and I hate not knowing how much I’ll improve yet.

• Sad
  • Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I was bit by a cat during my internship over a month ago. I went to the hospital and got IV antibiotics within 12 hours. Two days later I had to get surgery; they debrided the wound, opened the joint and put in a drain. I was totally out for two weeks and I’m only now back to more regular duties. It sucks a lot. I still don’t have full use of my hand and I hate not knowing how much I’ll improve yet.

Oh man, that sounds awful. I'm so sorry you're dealing with that! Cat bites suck! Hope you're feeling better soon and regain all function.

Y'all ever kept up at night by things that you probably should have done for a case but didn't think about until later?

This stuff bothers me particularly much because I'm part-time and rarely get the chance to follow up with patients.

• Care
Y'all ever kept up at night by things that you probably should have done for a case but didn't think about until later?

This stuff bothers me particularly much because I'm part-time and rarely get the chance to follow up with patients.

Welcome to the next 40-50 years of life as a vet. Isn't it great? :)

It happens to all of us, I argue it is what makes someone a good vet, that they care enough to think after the case is already out the door. It can get draining though, I feel like there has to be a balance between how much pondering about cases is the "right amount" and how much is "mentally damaging"--- if I knew the answer on how to control it, I'd sure let you know.

I still have this problem to this day-- can even be awakened from a dead sleep about a case wondering if I should have done A vs B or B instead of C.

If it is something you feel would still benefit the pet, I will call next couple days to check in, and if it is still something that can help, I will suggest it. If pet is otherwise doing just fine, no worries. If it is something that is take it or leave it, they will call if animal needs further things. You will just have to use experience to know if it is worth it to check in or not though. haha

All the time. Had a mini freak out at lunch thinking about a pedicle i fished for this morning. I thought omg what if I left a gauze in the dog? But I try to remember in the moment I probably wouldn’t have done that as I’m usually very good about keeping track of gauze usage. Which tends to help. But yes, still. All the time.

To quote Charon in Spiritfarer, “Your task here will be far from easy, but simple nonetheless.”

I don’t have an easy job, per se, and not many would be envious of it, but it is delightfully simple. My appreciation for that makes the less desirable parts easier to accept.

(I don’t lose any sleep about patients after an appointment. Maybe before, but only with reason. Not a fan of aggressive dogs, for example.)

All the time. Had a mini freak out at lunch thinking about a pedicle i fished for this morning. I thought omg what if I left a gauze in the dog? But I try to remember in the moment I probably wouldn’t have done that as I’m usually very good about keeping track of gauze usage. Which tends to help. But yes, still. All the time.
You could always institute a sponge count to make yourself feel better about that in the long-term. I count in every pack of gauze and laps for every abdominal or thoracic case and then count prior to closure to make sure they're all accounted for.

Reactions: 1 users
How about finding a way to predict the incidence of a lipoma before it becomes strangulating?

Reactions: 5 users

All the time. Sometimes it's the type of situation where I can call again after a day or two and talk about whatever the thing was.

Even when I don't think of a new thing I should've thought about before, I still think about cases all the time, even if the pet is fine. For sick pets, I second guess myself probably most of the time. Like I just diagnosed my first diabetic cat the other day but couldn't stop my stupid brain from going down the path of "what if I was wrong and she's not diabetic and the owner just spent $300 on insulin and she's going to give it to her cat and it's going to have a hypoglycemic crisis and die."

It doesn't help that we have terrible compliance with rechecks, so the only ones I ever hear back from are the ones who aren't getting better or who are having problems again. I'm assuming it'll get better with time, but for now, it's kind of driving me crazy some days.

Had a super disturbing call about 40 min before the emergency phone was set to shut off for the night. A dog that got his yearly with me last week (and looked super well at the time) vomiting for almost a week after the owners went out of town, and now unable to rise. He was very much in shock, looks to be an addisonian crisis based on Na/K (K was near 10 :scared:). originally told the owners on the phone that I’m scared for a foreign body, which honestly I still am based on rads sadly as there’s some very suspicious gas patterns going on, though I have been burned on things that totally looked like an fb on rads and then there was nothing there at surgery, before. Regardless, he’d for sure not withstand an exploratory as of present. So now I get to push him some dex and leave him on fluids and lay awake at night pondering it all. Woof.

• Care
Had a super disturbing call about 40 min before the emergency phone was set to shut off for the night. A dog that got his yearly with me last week (and looked super well at the time) vomiting for almost a week after the owners went out of town, and now unable to rise. He was very much in shock, looks to be an addisonian crisis based on Na/K (K was near 10 :scared:). originally told the owners on the phone that I’m scared for a foreign body, which honestly I still am based on rads sadly as there’s some very suspicious gas patterns going on, though I have been burned on things that totally looked like an fb on rads and then there was nothing there at surgery, before. Regardless, he’d for sure not withstand an exploratory as of present. So now I get to push him some dex and leave him on fluids and lay awake at night pondering it all. Woof.
Our clinic dog literally had rads called obstructive by radiologist and was taken to surgery... nope, atypical Addisonian. About a decade ago. Woof indeed.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
All the time. Sometimes it's the type of situation where I can call again after a day or two and talk about whatever the thing was.
I've literally never had a client have a problem with me calling to "check on a patient" - AKA "I looked **** up, chatted with another doctor, whatever, and want to quietly recommend some small change or make sure I tell you something I missed in my spiel." :laugh:

Adding "I was thinking about Fluffy on my commute" at the beginning of the conversation or something like that is usually true, and 95% of clients don't really gaf about your medical knowledge (after a certain baseline is hit) - they care that you care. And a follow up message even if you're kinda filling in something you missed is hardcore proving that you care.

• Love
I was actually having this conversation recently with a friend's parents - discussed how many thank you cards I get for euthanasias that are really, in the grand scheme of practice, fairly "easy" and straightforward. I was using the example of a recent blood transfusion I literally stayed with for a couple hours post clinic close and ended up sleeping at the clinic for, and how I wish I'd get thank you cards for the patients that I really feel like I go above and beyond for, not just random nice people who I euthanize for.

She pointed out, that as someone with zero medical knowledge, she assumes medical competence in her vets. The real connection is when something emotionally charged happens and how we manage that, and what's more emotionally charged than euthanasia? In the other case, I doctor'd good, dog did well, life went on with only a scary blib. Nothing like an abrupt end.

I grumbled and admitted her point. I still want those cards, lol.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Our clinic dog literally had rads called obstructive by radiologist and was taken to surgery... nope, atypical Addisonian. About a decade ago. Woof indeed.

geeeez. I wonder if that’s just a thing that happens. Bc I definitely reshot a couple of days later once his potassium levels were no longer threatening to stop his heart and that bunch of intestine that DEF looked plicated was no longer there...

Things are going well enough at my current part-time GP gig that I'd be fine continuing, but I did find out that the ER and specialty center 10 minutes from my apartment is hiring, so I applied. I suspect they're looking for more experienced people but I do have a phone interview tomorrow. Would be nice to not have that 40 minute commute anymore...and looking towards the future, a job like that will probably set me up better for internship/residency applications than the GP one. Plus I just like ER better, and I'm handling emergencies in GP anyway, just with the feeling that I don't have the right resources to be doing so, which is frustrating. But we'll see!

Kinda weird to be thinking about switching jobs already 4 months in but I had never planned to be in GP in the first place...just happened to be the only place hiring part-time when I was looking before.

Reactions: 11 users
Still alive and starting to prepare for this year’s match cycle for specialty internship/residencies whilst inwardly pooping my pants :nailbiting: :laugh:

Also been wrestling with imposter syndrome more as of late - every time somebody calls me Dr. Ceph I feel like I don’t know enough/deserve to be called that yet. I’m working hard, learning a lot, trying my best to do right by my patients, getting some positive feedback from attendings, and I think doing a decent job overall... but it’s tough being an intern/new grad, that’s for sure.

On a brighter note, though, my internmates are all stellar humans and I’m super thankful for them.

• Care
Doing well, finally landed a job in fish med. It's been hard to get trained up during the pandemic, but it is what it is! I'm also dealing with some major imposter syndrome though.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Things are going well enough at my current part-time GP gig that I'd be fine continuing, but I did find out that the ER and specialty center 10 minutes from my apartment is hiring, so I applied. I suspect they're looking for more experienced people but I do have a phone interview tomorrow. Would be nice to not have that 40 minute commute anymore...and looking towards the future, a job like that will probably set me up better for internship/residency applications than the GP one. Plus I just like ER better, and I'm handling emergencies in GP anyway, just with the feeling that I don't have the right resources to be doing so, which is frustrating. But we'll see!

Kinda weird to be thinking about switching jobs already 4 months in but I had never planned to be in GP in the first place...just happened to be the only place hiring part-time when I was looking before.
This fell through :( They should probably update their website and tell their recruitment office that they're not looking for part-time vets. Feels like I super wasted my time.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
I’m getting harassed online by a client. That I wasn’t even the doctor of or in anyway attached to this patients care. So...that’s fun. Work is looking into legal action against them because it’s straight up defamation so I can’t go into details in case they somehow found this, but I literally interacted with these clients for less than 30 seconds as a favor and they are hell bent on ruining my life over something that did not occur in any way. Love people. Love them so much :lame:

• Sad
  • Angry
  • Care
I’m getting harassed online by a client. That I wasn’t even the doctor of or in anyway attached to this patients care. So...that’s fun. Work is looking into legal action against them because it’s straight up defamation so I can’t go into details in case they somehow found this, but I literally interacted with these clients for less than 30 seconds as a favor and they are hell bent on ruining my life over something that did not occur in any way. Love people. Love them so much :lame:

That sucks Caiter, really sorry to hear that.

• Care
Doing well, finally landed a job in fish med. It's been hard to get trained up during the pandemic, but it is what it is! I'm also dealing with some major imposter syndrome though.
That’s awesome!

I also came back to my original goal after time in private practice and I feel you on the imposter syndrome. I keep reminding myself I’m a vet, it wasn’t a mistake, I’m not doing a terrible job...it’s kind of working ;)

Caiter, that is a nightmare, and I hope you have good management support. People are a special kind of crazy lately, and you don't deserve that.

Staffing issues are making things extra stressful, and it's been getting worse. The past few shifts, I've done a bunch of exams by myself with no one to hold the pet (and no history from the client, of course, except maybe a few words scribbled on a sheet like "ears, 2 days, doing ok") and have been filling meds, drawing up vaccines, prepping and reading ear cytologies, etc. for half my patients. I've had patients sit in the exam room for 15 minutes after the owner has paid because no one has bothered to bring them back up to go home or because no one has filled their meds. Part of the problem is that we run on the bare minimum number of people corporate can justify paying, but another huge part of the problem is that some of our staff are not very well trained and honestly not very reliable. They often prioritize tasks like inventory or call backs over helping with an actual appointment/client who is actually there. If we're running behind, there's often no sense of urgency. I have no problem directly asking for help and I do, but it admittedly does get old to have to repeatedly ask an assistant to actually assist you with an exam. And a lot of the time, waiting until someone is available to help takes even more time than just trying to get it done on my own. Really busting my behind to stay on time and on target and speed up, but having to be my own assistant half the time isn't helping.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I appreciate that urinary catheterization is something I am getting exceptionally skilled in but man if every male cat within a hundred mile radius could quit blocking that’d be great.

• Care
I appreciate that urinary catheterization is something I am getting exceptionally skilled in but man if every male cat within a hundred mile radius could quit blocking that’d be great.

Do what I do - teach your staff to do it and then after you've diagnosed it and gotten the owner on board with treatment you just say "here's some drugs, go make unblocked kkthxbai" and go about your paperwork.

• Haha
Back on ER. Today was my first weekend day and I woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck. I’m at a high volume private emergency/referral hospital and yesterday’s shift was especially long and rough, but ugh...

I almost always have to dedicate the first day off after a week of ER shifts to trying to recover/feel like a human again - more so than any other specialty I rotate through.

Anybody else experience this? ER veterans, does it get better?

My residency program seems to employ the "sink or swim" strategy of teaching... at it's getting really quite frustrating, especially now that they increased our caseload. I was expecting to have formal lectures or something to teach us to read histo, since ya know... no one learns that in vet school... but instead they just have us take cases, try and figure it out on our own and then tell us if we were wrong or right in the end. I don't learn that way, and I am becoming very mentally exhausted... only 3 more weeks left though!

• Sad
My residency program seems to employ the "sink or swim" strategy of teaching... at it's getting really quite frustrating, especially now that they increased our caseload. I was expecting to have formal lectures or something to teach us to read histo, since ya know... no one learns that in vet school... but instead they just have us take cases, try and figure it out on our own and then tell us if we were wrong or right in the end. I don't learn that way, and I am becoming very mentally exhausted... only 3 more weeks left though!
That’s how mine was. I described it to a potential applicant as tossed into the pool with a small floaty...you’re expected to figure it out yourself and There’s a small safety net but it’s a little overwhelming at first. It’s frustrating at times for sure. I’m here if you need to vent. Once you are out or more independent you’ll be better able to form opinions and research cases on your own for the experience, but it’s hard when you’re a new resident.

That’s how mine was. I described it to a potential applicant as tossed into the pool with a small floaty...you’re expected to figure it out yourself and There’s a small safety net but it’s a little overwhelming at first. It’s frustrating at times for sure. I’m here if you need to vent. Once you are out or more independent you’ll be better able to form opinions and research cases on your own for the experience, but it’s hard when you’re a new resident.

Haha yup that’s exactly how it feels! We did have a few lecture-type things and the stuff we learned in those I am very confident on... but just getting random cases of the service and having to figure it out feels like beating your head against a brick wall lol. Looking forward to a couple weeks off before next semester to reset, and then I only have one diagnostic course next semester so hopefully I will have more time to study and actually learn from my cases!

Back on ER. Today was my first weekend day and I woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck. I’m at a high volume private emergency/referral hospital and yesterday’s shift was especially long and rough, but ugh...

I almost always have to dedicate the first day off after a week of ER shifts to trying to recover/feel like a human again - more so than any other specialty I rotate through.

Anybody else experience this? ER veterans, does it get better?

Mmmm. Depends on what you mean by better. It takes less and less 'brainpower' the more you do it and things become automatic and you quit worrying about the weird cases that you aren't sure what's going on, and so that reduces your mental/emotional fatigue. It's the difference between your first ever blocked cat where you're nervous and worried and debating what meds to use and still trying to figure out exactly how to do it and what instruments to use and blah blah blah vs your 500th where, like I mentioned above, I tell my staff drug doses and then have them go unblock it and call me when it's time to look at the placement rad. So yeah, it gets better. The schedule itself is more brutal than people give it credit for - it is mentally and physically crushing to be going back and forth between days and nights, and no matter how much we kid ourselves, the mountain of evidence in human medicine says that never gets better and you are at a very high risk of metabolic disease, mental illness, etc., if you do it long term. I get paid a lot for what I do, and in my opinion, I think it's underpaid given the long-term risks.

It sounds like you're doing an internship? It also varies a lot from hospital to hospital and whether or how quickly they are having interns take solo shifts, how much support the intern has for difficult cases, what their overall caseload is, etc.

In my experience, our interns are more burned out than us staff docs because they stay many more hours later than I do to finish up their records, whereas I can mostly keep caught up on mine as I go (or at most stay for an hour or so to do them). It varies from intern to intern, but many of them are there for 3+ hours after their shift just doing records, which really hurts them by reducing their down time.

Also depends on who you work with. When I have an intern with me, I try to give them challenging cases for growth, but I also try to keep their case count manageable. I'm a fan of giving them more difficult cases but fewer cases. I think some people have interns take a lot of the 'easy' cases (laceration repair.... the boring 2-year-old lab that vomited 6 times in the last 4 hours and needs rads then either surgery or some cerenia/SQF ... etc.). I feel like those cases give really diminishing returns in terms of growth of the intern's skills, so I try to push difficult cases on them that force them to grow, but I try to make sure they have the space/time to do a good job with them. You'll learn a lot more managing an anaphylactic dog than suturing a 2" laceration in a young healthy beast.

January was good...felt like I was being a real adult, staying on top of my crap, etc. And then February came and I've tanked. Made no progress on lab stuff that probably should have been done already. Losing the momentum I had on class assignments. Basically have entered the mode where I want to sit at home and do nothing. At least work is...work. Nothing to procrastinate on there :laugh:

How is everyone else doing?

• Care
I effectively haven't been in lab since end of November, so I've pretty much kissed my original hopes of defending at the end of this year goodbye. I don't have any techs or undergrads working for me, so all of my stuff is just completely on hold, which stinks because we're trying to wrap up a huge paper that I'd love to get off my plate so I can focus on my thesis work (it won't be a first author pub for me, but I'll be second, and it's been a really time consuming project). My PI has been super understanding of my whole situation, but I still feel like I disappoint him all the time.

*hugs Dubz*

• Care
Reactions: 6 users