Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:yeahright:

The best part is that it sounds like that could actually be a thing!
I was definitely like, huh, don't remember that one...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm done with my anatomy final, but here nuero is a separate class where we learn the anatomy of the brain and the cranial nerves, how to test them, and do a neuro exam on some of the sophomore surgery dogs at the end. that final is tomorrow.

Two finals down, four to go and I'm already dragging.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 down, 3 to go. Anatomy was fine. just barely missed an A in physio if grades stay where they are, which I will take considering I only studied for the final for about two hours. Many thanks to past me, who did well enough on the first 2 tests to support the bad decisions made by current me.

Tomorrow is immunology. Which I love, and therefore am not studying. Makes sense, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Many thanks to past me, who did well enough on the first 2 tests to support the bad decisions made my current me.

I always went for that "do super well on the first few exams so I could blow off the final" approach. Served me well.

I think I needed something like a 16% on one of our pharm finals to get an A in the course. I took the time to (mostly) consider the questions, but I know there was someone in my class who was in/out of the exam in 5 minutes - clearly just filled out the answer sheet randomly, or all one letter, or ... etc.

But it's nice to stress less about finals when you know they don't matter.

I always went for that "do super well on the first few exams so I could blow off the final" approach. Served me well.

I think I needed something like a 16% on one of our pharm finals to get an A in the course. I took the time to (mostly) consider the questions, but I know there was someone in my class who was in/out of the exam in 5 minutes - clearly just filled out the answer sheet randomly, or all one letter, or ... etc.

This is why I wish we had more tests in some of our classes. It works for physio where we had 4 exams plus the final, and two of those were weighted heavier than the final. But then you have classes where there are only 3 exams and the final is weighted more, or the one class where it's only two exams.

Last edited:

This is basically where I'm at in immuno right now, and it's a glorious feeling. Other classes, not so much.

No way I can get an A in anatomy, which is kind of liberating. I would have to get something like a 20% to not pass the class, and a 38% or something in Immuno. Funny how I'm calculating the minimums, but this is definitely the hardest academic load I've ever had, and coupled with everything else I have to deal with day-to-day, I'm just happy I'm getting through it. Still stressing a little bit though!

Reactions: 5 users
The only class I was in serious danger of not passing for a bit was Neuro, but I did really well on the last exam, and I felt really good leaving the final today. I can't get a B but it's all good.

No way I can get an A in anatomy, which is kind of liberating. I would have to get something like a 20% to not pass the class, and a 38% or something in Immuno. Funny how I'm calculating the minimums, but this is definitely the hardest academic load I've ever had, and coupled with everything else I have to deal with day-to-day, I'm just happy I'm getting through it. Still stressing a little bit though!

I was well acquainted with this kind of math by the end of vet school.

Reactions: 4 users
This is why I wish we had more tests in some of our classes.

Yeah. I remember our Neuropharm course was one exam. No assignments, no nothing - just the final. It didn't end up being so bad - she made it very clear what would be on the exam - but it was still pretty stressful. Didn't want to mess that one up.

I was well acquainted with this kind of math by the end of vet school.

I was the dork that created a spreadsheet with a tab for every class. I'd spend a few hours beginning of each semester putting in all the grading stuff and fill it out as the semester went on, so I always had this nice running total of exactly where I was at. Total OCD type of thing to do, but it gave me a lot of comfort as the semester went on and things would get more and more filled out ... sorta a light at the end of the tunnel thing. And it made it easy to see exactly how I had to do on any given final.

Reactions: 3 users
Haha yep, definitely do the "how poorly can I do and still pass the class?" Math too.

I have an A in phys and a high B in histo, so I'm hoping I can do well on the final for those classes to balance out anatomy. I'm definitely in the bottom like 20-30% for that class (did decent on the second, but awful on the first so I might even be lower...) and am hoping to balance it out with the other two so I don't totally kill my class rank first semester :p

Last edited:
Hmm. I am worried about my grades this semester, not going to lie. Of the 8 classes we're currently in, I should have Bs and As in all but 2... anatomy and nutrition. Maybe histophys because I did not do particularly well on the last test and it knocked me down to the border of C+/B-, but I feel like I can finish strong. At this point, I'm thankful that it looks like I should at least pass. We have a remedial exam in anatomy that functions as a safety net to make sure that we do pass with at least a C-, but we do have to do extra hours of review in the lab next semester or over summer (which, granted, isn't that bad especially since we don't get tested on it again at the end); I'm putting my all into this final and hoping that my grade will be such that I do not have to take it, though.

Nutrition is weird. By raw numbers, I am failing the class currently but my final grade is really up in the air because outside of a few very small quizzes there's essentially only 2 grades in that class---midterm and final---and supposedly he implements a massive curve at the end so that everyone passes. According to upperclassmen, it isn't unusual for about 1/3 of the class to "technically" fail nutrition but still finish with at least a C due to the curve. :confused:

I just hope that next semester goes more smoothly despite being a bump up in terms of workload now that I actually know what to expect and have somewhat acclimated. Especially because I'm starting to consider specializing in the future and there's zero chance of that happening if all of my semesters turn out like this one.

Urgh. Back to studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently spending my night studying pocket pet, swine, and poultry husbandry techniques for our final tomorrow. Pocket pets I can deal with, but the other two....
post-28336-do-I-get-bonus-points-if-I-act-d6be.gif

Our grading is so different. First years are in a curriculum where it's a mega course instead of 6-8 discrete classes and we have four exams. FOUR. For an entire 8 week courseload of 10 credits. The fact that we're pass/fail takes the edge off, but still...

Our grading is so different. First years are in a curriculum where it's a mega course instead of 6-8 discrete classes and we have four exams. FOUR. For an entire 8 week courseload of 10 credits. The fact that we're pass/fail takes the edge off, but still...

Wow. That's interesting. I know VMCVM just changed their curriculum...what do you think of how they are doing it now (I know you can't really compare it to the old way, but it seems like it's a pretty different)?

Wow. That's interesting. I know VMCVM just changed their curriculum...what do you think of how they are doing it now (I know you can't really compare it to the old way, but it seems like it's a pretty different)?

I don't think it's very different in the amount of info they shove at you (you still have a ton to know) but the placement of where it is in the 4 years varies. Overall I think less testing is a decent way to go, but it means you have less opportunity to recover if you bomb. The cumulative finals are by far a nastier monster though.

Three more finals stand in my way of five weeks of doing nothing...... Well that and actually passing anatomy - that written portion of the exam :shrug:

I am currently spending my night studying pocket pet, swine, and poultry husbandry techniques for our final tomorrow. Pocket pets I can deal with, but the other two....
post-28336-do-I-get-bonus-points-if-I-act-d6be.gif
I wish we had swine and poultry stuff :( Well, we got one swine lecture. And the professor who taught it was...well...let's just say 80% of the class really enjoyed the lecture :love: But anyway, the majority of that lecture was focused on pet pigs, because that's what we're more likely to see here. Which is cool too.

Nutrition is weird. By raw numbers, I am failing the class currently but my final grade is really up in the air because outside of a few very small quizzes there's essentially only 2 grades in that class---midterm and final---and supposedly he implements a massive curve at the end so that everyone passes. According to upperclassmen, it isn't unusual for about 1/3 of the class to "technically" fail nutrition but still finish with at least a C due to the curve. :confused:
That's like bacteriology here! Everyone fails, so no one fails! :D

That's like bacteriology here! Everyone fails, so no one fails! :D
Pretty much. I had convinced myself that I was still probably going to fail even with a curve (I'm right at around 50% in the class), but then a VM2 told me that she finished the class with a C... her actual grade prior to the final? 34%. :eek:

It's just that, out of the 8 classes we're in this semester, you wouldn't think that nutrition would be one of "those" classes. But apparently it is.

Pretty much. I had convinced myself that I was still probably going to fail even with a curve (I'm right at around 50% in the class), but then a VM2 told me that she finished the class with a C... her actual grade prior to the final? 34%. :eek:

It's just that, out of the 8 classes we're in this semester, you wouldn't think that nutrition would be one of "those" classes. But apparently it is.
Some professors insist on making super difficult exams despite the fact that nobody ever does well on them (except the super geniuses). But as long as they curve it I guess it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sooo behind on studying for our last anatomy lab exam Friday. I'm just so burnt out with anatomy lab that I made very little effort to learn the material during the actual lab periods, and now I'm trying to play catch-up. Luckily I'm not worried about passing any of my classes, and getting a B in physiology and an A in microanatomy is very doable, but I need to do well on both the lab and lecture finals in gross anatomy to keep my A. I had a high A in that class for most of the semester, but then I got a 76 on the last lab exam and that dropped my grade to a 93. I won't be heartbroken if I make a B in the class, though. Just 10 more days and I'm done!

I make a B in the class

The differences in languages around the country are so weird to me. I never heard anyone talk about "make a ---" grade until I moved. Back home it was always "get a ---" grade so now every time I hear that it surprises me... not that either are right or wrong, I just find it intriguing. Kind of like accents.

The differences in languages around the country are so weird to me. I never heard anyone talk about "make a ---" grade until I moved. Back home it was always "get a ---" grade so now every time I hear that it surprises me... not that either are right or wrong, I just find it intriguing. Kind of like accents.

This is a thing with how you refer to freeways, too.

You can always tell if someone isn't from the west coast by how they refer to the main free ways here. Everyone from here calls them I-90 and I-5.

People who visit or move here from the Midwest always call it "the 5" and "the 90" and I always have to think about what they're referring to cause it sounds so weird to me :laugh:

I never realized it was so regional until a few years ago.

I get so annoyed watching Grey's Anatomy. Aside from locations just not making sense, they always refer to it as "the 5" haha

You can always tell if someone isn't from the west coast by how they refer to the main free ways here. Everyone from here calls them I-90 and I-5.

People who visit or move here from the Midwest always call it "the 5" and "the 90" and I always have to think about what they're referring to cause it sounds so weird to me :laugh:

I get so annoyed watching Grey's Anatomy. Aside from locations just not making sense, they always refer to it as "the 5" haha
That's so fascinating. I'm used to either I-95 or dropping the I so it's just "95". Never heard "the 95" before!

Wait, what? That's backwards. Here in the Midwest (at least, in MN) we call it "I-494" or just "494" or whatever. When I've been to the coasts it's been referred to with the definite article ("the 10," "the 52," etc.).

We don't say "Get on the I-94" here in MN. We say "Get on I-94" or just "Get on 94".

It's like take an exam vs write an exam. I never heard the later until I had a Canadian prof.

Wait, what? That's backwards. Here in the Midwest (at least, in MN) we call it "I-494" or just "494" or whatever. When I've been to the coasts it's been referred to with the definite article ("the 10," "the 52," etc.).

We don't say "Get on the I-94" here in MN. We say "Get on I-94" or just "Get on 94".
Oh no, which anecdote wins???

Haha whoops! The person I'm thinking of who does it the most was an army brat but lived in the Midwest the longest, so I figured that's was where she picked it up. Guess not!

PNW is definitely "I-5" though. Didn't realize the "the" was a California thing! Probably cause all the Californian's I know are from the PNW originally haha

Southern California and AZ say "the 10" etc because I totally do that and everyone stares at me funny.

Like "what route did you take?" "I took the 10" instead of "I took I-10"

You're partially correct. Southern Californians definitely say THE 5, THE 15. Northern Californians onward do not.

My motivation seems to have taken a leave of absence for the rest of the semester.

My histology exam is about to go very very poorly. Thank god I only need a D on this exam to keep my B... because anything more than that would be difficult right now. :help:

@LeTitsNow and other vets, I'd like to hear some of your stories about a few of your vet school finals: how last minute the studying was, how much you guessed and ended up being correct, etc.

I think this is actually the first time in my life I have cumulative finals and an entire week of them as well. I'm a solid B student right now but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes after this :laugh:.

I need an 11% to pass histology on my final and around a 60% to keep my B in the class.. so should be doable. But I had a dream last night that I got a 10% because on the practical they made me cut, fix, and stain my own slides and then identify cells on them without a microscope. So then I got kicked out of vet school for failing.
:barf:

Is it next Friday yet so finals can be over?

My motivation seems to have taken a leave of absence for the rest of the semester.

My histology exam is about to go very very poorly. Thank god I only need a D on this exam to keep my B... because anything more than that would be difficult right now. :help:

Update: that practical went so comically bad I can't even describe it. I might have actually done better if I really had to cut, fix, and stain, the slides myself. At least the TAs will get a good laugh out of it. Here's to hoping the written went decent enough to make up for that BS.

Update: that practical went so comically bad I can't even describe it. I might have actually done better if I really had to cut, fix, and stain, the slides myself. At least the TAs will get a good laugh out of it. Here's to hoping the written went decent enough to make up for that BS.

Islets of Langerhaans

or something

I don't remember histo, specifically - maybe I was too busy fretting over anatomy.

I am about to find out if the written saves people or I have to get upset and throw things. :heckyeah:

I am about to find out if the written saves people or I have to get upset and throw things. :heckyeah:

I sure as heck hope so.... because I might be lucky to get a 40% on that practical honestly. Maybe I didn't study enough, but some of those slides were a bit ridiculous. You know it's going well when the class literally laughs at one of the slides out of disbelief.

I know I at least passed the class, I just hope we don't have too many kids that can't say the same after that. Oh well, can't change it so no reason to complain too much. Now on to the next final.

@LeTitsNow and other vets, I'd like to hear some of your stories about a few of your vet school finals: how last minute the studying was, how much you guessed and ended up being correct, etc.

I think this is actually the first time in my life I have cumulative finals and an entire week of them as well. I'm a solid B student right now but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes after this :laugh:.

I have NEVER been a good studier. Downright craptastic. Always a crammer.

Depending on the size of the test, I would start studying either two nights before, or the night before. I would review the lecture notes and make study guides from them (and then never review the study guides, because the learning was in the making of them). If it was, oh, 10 lectures or less - one night. More than that, two nights. Study wise, I did everything I tell people not to do ... I'd start at Starbucks (too many distractions with my phone/computer, and people around). When they closed I'd go to Perkins (and order food and chat with the waitress, who got to know me well). I'd get no sleep or only a couple hours (stupid).

For some tests I had a study partner - we worked together on neuropharm, physiology, and a few other classes. We'd meet 3-4 days before an exam to kinda survey everything and hit big topics, then study separately after that.

The further I got through vet school, the less effort I put into individual tests. My goal was "C or better". The irony is that as I stressed out less and got more sleep, my grades either stayed the same or got better, even though my overall studying went down. I think my final GPA was actually 3.3-3.4 or something - not amazing, but plenty good 'nuff. (Fourth year helps with that, though.)

Other than the odd class here or there (like neuropharm with it's one exam being the entire grade) we didn't have a ton of cumulative finals, though. That made cramming more viable.

But I'm betting you'll be just fine.

I guessed a lot. I could usually rule out some obviously wrong ones and get myself down to 2, but .... frequent guessing.

Last edited:

I always *tried* to start 1 week in advance at least. But by the last few finals, that never happened. I did well in most classes (some were 1-2 days of studying) but always had 1/semester that just sucked. I had at least 2 finals throughout vet school that I did poorly on due to this.

I try to never guess. I try to rule out other answers if I don't know it.

In Scotland, I started studying weeks prior, but the single exam covered everything from August-December in multiple subjects. Like we had one exam for anatomy, physiology, histology, etc. So everything in one semester was piled into one large exam and only part of it was MC, most of it was short answer, interpretation or part of the oral exam.

When I transferred, I'd study a few nights before.... for all tests. Testing was definitely more frequent but much less information.

My time spent studying definitely decreased over the years and my grades improved. I think it is a mix of getting used to the amount of info and the stress of school. You kind of adapt this, "welp this sucks, but whatever, I'll just grumble and do it" attitude.

The only times I "guessed" were when I really didn't know, I'd try to narrow down answers or look at other questions for clues. A few times I'd find an answer in the way another question was worded. Only one exam did I just kind of say **** it and my answers were "emerald" "ruby" and "diamonds"... in response to some questions about radiology measurements.

My time spent studying definitely decreased over the years and my grades improved. I think it is a mix of getting used to the amount of info and the stress of school. You kind of adapt this, "welp this sucks, but whatever, I'll just grumble and do it" attitude.

Totally. And I think my approach to lecture changed. As time went on, I started taking somewhat fewer notes volume-wise - focused on getting only the critical stuff down - in favor of 'listening harder'. If you actually focus, listen, pay attention, review the material in your head as it's being delivered .... you can learn a lot more from the original lecture and decrease the amount of studying you have to do.

If you just show up, disengage your brain, take auto-pilot notes while tabbing out to check facebook, email, pinterest, etc. .... you're basically wasting the hour (aside from at least having notes to go back and review).

Our histology final practical first semester was such a disaster that the associate dean was waiting with a basket of chocolate when people came out bawling lol. So I feel you!

Reactions: 2 users