Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have experience with surgery glove brands that go smaller than 5 1/2? My hands are stupid small and when we had our scrubbing/gloving lab today, I learned that a 5 1/2 is bigger than ideal for my raccoon-hands. I'm searching on Google too, but if anyone has suggestions...

Smaller than 5 1/2? Oh my. Come spend a shift with me in Blaine so I can see these crazy small hands.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like every time I eat potatoes I need to tag ceph now

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's taters, precious?
raw

Reactions: 5 users
Smaller than 5 1/2? Oh my. Come spend a shift with me in Blaine so I can see these crazy small hands.

:)

Yeah, scrubbed and gloved, presented for inspection by Dr. Trent, got a "... well, you'll have to make do with the 5 1/2s because they don't come smaller than that." :laugh:

Yeah, scrubbed and gloved, presented for inspection by Dr. Trent, got a "... well, you'll have to make do with the 5 1/2s because they don't come smaller than that." :laugh:

Well, Trent likes to run them really tight when she sizes people. I think she told me I'm a 7 or something, and I wear 7 1/2 or occasionally 8. If I wore 7's all shift long my hands would die.

Woo-hoo! Just got accepted to the ND/SD RAVS trip. Fun news to kick off my thanksgiving break :)

Reactions: 11 users
Woo-hoo! Just got accepted to the ND/SD RAVS trip. Fun news to kick off my thanksgiving break :)
I got accepted to the Arizona one! Super excited! Anyone else going to Arizona RAVs?

What computer you using? 100% sure it's a standard, older 2.5" spinning hard disc with platters and what not? It's been dispelled by many, but others say it works, and I'll just say it did work for me one time: freezer trick. Could have been 100% placebo and I could have got lucky, but I was able to get it to work long enough to recover the files I needed to a new disc.

If you have a laptop you can service yourself and just pop a new drive into, please upgrade to a solid state disk (SSD). Good ones are warrantied for many years and there's no moving parts so failure rate is a lot less. My other suggestion is to start saving your files directly to the cloud. You might have a large Google Drive or OneDrive allocation through your school, what you can do is point the programs you use to automatically save to the network drive when you hit Ctrl+S. It would be the exact same as you were doing before, except every time you save your files they're syncing to the cloud and will never be lost.

Data loss can suck it.

We ended up getting a regular old plain hard drive. Not sure a SSD is worth the money at this point. At least my husband kind of talked me out of it. And, yeah, I used to be meticulous about backing up all of my data, but this laptop is just shy of 2 years old, so I got lazy. Stupid mistake, it turns out. :(

My husband came up for Thanksgiving and replaced the hard drive for me, so laptop is officially back up and running, though with a clean slate. He'll have to try to recover the rest of the files at home. I managed to make it through this first set of exams thanks to the help of a few awesome classmates, but man, technology is not getting along with me recently. Bah.

Flew home for Thanksgiving break and was able to spend five days with my family. Long distance SO was also in town and we got to see each other for the first time since Labor Day.

Tomorrow I fly back to school for the final two weeks of the semester and I am already so homesick and I haven't even left yet. All day today I have just been dreading tomorrow because I desperately don't want to leave. I so wish I didn't have to go back. I adore my friends at school, but I seriously miss home and my family so so so much. I know it's only two weeks, and it will fly by because of finals, but it definitely makes me super sad. :(

Flew home for Thanksgiving break and was able to spend five days with my family. Long distance SO was also in town and we got to see each other for the first time since Labor Day.

Tomorrow I fly back to school for the final two weeks of the semester and I am already so homesick and I haven't even left yet. All day today I have just been dreading tomorrow because I desperately don't want to leave. I so wish I didn't have to go back. I adore my friends at school, but I seriously miss home and my family so so so much. I know it's only two weeks, and it will fly by because of finals, but it definitely makes me super sad. :(

Sorry aloha :(

I wasn't able to go home for break and was feeling okay about it before break, but everyone being gone this week has made me realize how homesick I was.

I get to go home in 20 days and it feels like forever.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We ended up getting a regular old plain hard drive. Not sure a SSD is worth the money at this point. At least my husband kind of talked me out of it.

What size hard drive are you using? Laptop SSDs are actually really cheap now, you can get a 500GB drive for $130. They're not cost prohibitive like they were a few years ago. It would be the best decision so it doesn't happen again, and you'd see an immediate performance boost.

I'm also dreading going back to Kansas tomorrow (I guess technically today at this point). Not so much because of homesickness, although it was really nice to see my parents for the first time since August and be back somewhere familiar, but I just don't want to go back to classes and studying! I studied a bit over break, but not nearly as much as I should have. On the bright side, I just have to survive three more weeks of classes and finals (and a weekend of helping with c/o 2021 interviews).

I am looking forward to seeing my cat and my friends again, and putting up Christmas decorations at my apartment. And it's only 41 days until my boyfriend comes home from China! Thanksgiving without him wasn't as depressing as I feared (and there was no family drama at Thanksgiving, thank goodness), but I feel like Christmas and New Year's will be much harder. :(

I'm sorry aloha :( here for you ❤️

Same here. Heading back to Iowa today. Really don't want to. Urgh.

We have a case study quiz this morning. Quizzes the first day back from a week long break are evil.

We had a nutrition "quiz" today. 1 question worth 10 points. According to the class president after talking with the professor, exactly 30 students out of our class of 125 actually earned those 10 points. Less than 25% of our class answered that question correctly. +pissed+

Just have to keep telling myself...only 3 more weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a nutrition "quiz" today. 1 question worth 10 points. According to the class president after talking with the professor, exactly 30 students out of our class of 125 actually earned those 10 points. Less than 25% of our class answered that question correctly. +pissed+

Just have to keep telling myself...only 3 more weeks.
:uhno: Is your professor going to do anything to help the students that missed those points? Here our professors typically throw out test questions or make them extra credit if less than half of the class gets them right, because in that case it was probably a poorly worded question or was not explained well in class, rather than that the majority of people didn't study/forgot that information.

I hope it was a multi-part/essay question at least, but if he/she has them graded that quickly I'm guessing not!

The cranial nerves... :uhno:
I'm learning those too. Ostensibly.
Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Says Big Brains Matter More :D

(that's the official version, but I prefer Big Butts. Heh.)

And

Ooh, Ooh, Ooh To Touch And Feel Very Good Velvet. Ah Heaven!

Though for that one I'd like to come up with something that helps distinguish all the o's, t's, and v's. So maybe words that start with the first 2 or 3 letters instead of just the first one.

I'm learning those too. Ostensibly.
Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Says Big Brains Matter More :D

(that's the official version, but I prefer Big Butts. Heh.)

And

Ooh, Ooh, Ooh To Touch And Feel Very Good Velvet. Ah Heaven!

Though for that one I'd like to come up with something that helps distinguish all the o's, t's, and v's. So maybe words that start with the first 2 or 3 letters instead of just the first one.
...aww. It's a WZ age-appropriate oh oh to touch and feel mnemonic. :p

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah, unfortunately it's kind of hard to come up with a mnemonic with words that have the first 2-3 letters of each nerve's name.

I've been using Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel (a) Virgin Girl's Vagina And Hymen and Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter More.

...which are decidedly less G-rated, but I'm immature and feel like keeping things dirty helps them stick in my mind better. :laugh:
To be fair, the Some Say one was the one that our professor told us in class, which may be why it was the G rated version :laugh: I hadn't heard the other until I looked it up (knew there was one). The dirty ones definitely stick better.

To be fair, the Some Say one was the one that our professor told us in class, which may be why it was the G rated version :laugh: I hadn't heard the other until I looked it up (knew there was one). The dirty ones definitely stick better.
Upon closer inspection, it looks like our professor put his own version in his lecture notes:

Oh, Oh, Oh, To Take A Family Vacation! Go Vegas After Hours! (I guess this one is kinda punny with the Vegas bit)

And then a classmate told me a Harry Potter related one, which I thought was clever.

On, On, On, They Traveled And Found Voldemort Guarding Very Ancient Horcruxes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upon closer inspection, it looks like our professor put his own version in his lecture notes:

Oh, Oh, Oh, To Take A Family Vacation! Go Vegas After Hours! (I guess this one is kinda punny with the Vegas bit)

And then a classmate told me a Harry Potter related one, which I thought was clever.

On, On, On, They Traveled And Found Voldemort Guarding Very Ancient Horcruxes.
We had a HP one for Halstead's principles... our professor/surgeon owns two pups named "Hermione" and "Harry," lol. :)

Harry Potter Almost Always Rides On Unicorn Mares.
(Handle tissue gently, Preserve vascularity, Approximate tissues anatomically (without tension), Accurate hemostasis, Remove necrotic tissue, Obliterate dead space, Use strict aseptic technique, Maintain accurate medical records).​

Oh, Oh, Oh, Topless Tiffany and Fat Vicky got vaginitis and herpes.

Reactions: 5 users
My mnemonic for the cranial nerves is On Old Olympus' Towering Tops A Fat Vested German Viewed Some Hops (some being Spinal accessory nerves instead of Accessory nerves used in most mnemonics) :p

My mnemonic for the cranial nerves is On Old Olympus' Towering Tops A Fat Vested German Viewed Some Hops (some being Spinal accessory nerves instead of Accessory nerves used in most mnemonics) :p
My professor gave us "On Old Olympus' Towering Top A Fat Vicious Goat Vandalized A Hat," but I like the dirty ones better. ;)

We got Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Very Fine Velvet in lecture :p

I have my physio final tomorrow but I also have just over 3800 words left for nanowrimo so guess what I'm focusing on...
Write about your character learning physio!

Reactions: 1 users
The writing things as a story really does help me remember long strings of information. I usually do it in more of a "don't get me started on..." rant type of format and send them to my friends at 2 AM. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users