Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah we have a bell for the start of class and one for the end. It's very effective!

Members don't see this ad.

A bell is honestly a great idea, that way professors are reminded when class is over and everyone is on the same page. I don't like when professors go over, I think those 10 minute breaks are important and I don't like the (unintentional) implication that you shouldn't mind taking cuts to your free time just to learn some extra crammed in information.

I used to just get up and walk out when lecture was technically over, even if the professor was still talking. Breaks were important to me.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate when they go over and would love to get up.... but I sit against a wall so I'd have to climb over three people to get out, and I don't want to interfere with their learning.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many breaks do you guys generally have every day? An hour for lunch, fifteen minutes between classes?

We get an hour + 10 minutes for lunch, and 10 minutes between classes. We very frequently have lunchtime activities though that you're kind of expected to go to... Special lectures etc etc. It's not written anywhere that you must go to them, and a lot of people do skip them, but it is definitely strongly encouraged. They do give you free food on those days though so it's not all bad :)

We have 50 min lectures and then 10 minute breaks, with 1hr for lunch. Profs generally speaking are pretty good about respecting the 10 min breaks.

We have 50 min lectures and then 10 minute breaks, with 1hr for lunch. Profs generally speaking are pretty good about respecting the 10 min breaks.
Same here, we only had a couple professors that would occasionally go over time. One of our physiology professors would routinely speed through his lectures and be done in about 30 minutes. :laugh: It was nice at the time, but while studying for his test I wished that he had taken that time to answer questions/explain things more thoroughly.

Last semester I had 8 classes (3 main ones, 2 required show-up-and-pass ones, and 3 easy electives) and next semester I have 6 (4 main, one required show-up-and-pass, and one elective). I wanted to take two electives next semester, but the new shelter med class filled up really quickly. :cryi: Next year! We go from 8 or 9 until 4 or 5 Monday through Thursday, although you might get done early if it's an easy lab, or if you're in the first histo lab section. Fridays first year we just have exams in the mornings, and a couple electives are on Friday afternoons. Next semester we have two days a week where we don't have class until 9, and I'm not taking a Friday elective! :bow:

It's interesting to hear how similarly most schools do things. I definitely don't envy those of you on the quarter system having to study over break, that was the worst part about Thanksgiving break! My parents keep asking me if I had anything assigned over break and I get paranoid there's something I'm forgetting... I do need to work on figuring out what I'm doing over the summer, though.

I decided just to apply for the Banfield sjp at my old hospital. Then I feel like I'm doing something productive but not having to make any major plans.

Plus I adore all my old coworkers.

Reactions: 1 users
I need to do this to but it feels too much like work and I just want to chill all break
Same, unfortunately I'm required to do three 40-hour "mentorships" before fourth year, and I'd like to get at least one out of the way this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't even have electives yet, next quarter I believe we can do an optional elective. What electives are everyone taking or planning to take?

We don't even have electives yet, next quarter I believe we can do an optional elective. What electives are everyone taking or planning to take?
We don't get electives until 4th year :(:(:( Makes for a very sad Nessy haha

Y'all we have like no electives until clinics o_O

And also we have the same 25 credit class load we spread out from the summer to December, but we're shaving 2 months off this spring. Dead.

This is our schedule. We had the option of two electives during 1st quarter (don't take electives during rotations), but we have the option of 8 between 3rd and 4th quarter. I'm doing 2 equine, 1 food animal, and Geographic Methods of Health.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    298.6 KB · Views: 60

This is what we have too - and we have elective options every semester, I think - there were 4 options last semester and I think around the same number this time.

WSU doesn't require any electives aside from a practicum before fourth year.

I'm taking my practicum next semester (Pet Loss Hotline---first part of the class is ethics and grief based and the second we're helping run the school line).

I wanted to take international veterinary medicine for an elective, but since I got into the practicum (lottery system) I'm not. Hopefully fall!

Yeah so far for next quarter it says "optional research elective" and then I believe third years have some electives. Not sure about second year. I wish we had more electives during first year.

So interesting seeing the courses other people are taking! Makes our list look pretty boring :p Here's our upcoming semester!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 3.08.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 3.08.21 PM.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 57
So interesting seeing the courses other people are taking! Makes our list look pretty boring :p Here's our upcoming semester!

I feel like ours is the most boring. Lol. We do normal anatomy, histology, physiology, imaging, and neurobiology for 1st year. No cool parasitology or anything.

This is our schedule. We had the option of two electives during 1st quarter (don't take electives during rotations), but we have the option of 8 between 3rd and 4th quarter. I'm doing 2 equine, 1 food animal, and Geographic Methods of Health.

Omg I want a shelter med class :love:

Reactions: 3 users
Intro to Animal Welfare

Jealous. We do it have any animal welfare courses that I know of. But I am excited to go to ISU for the animal welfare competition next year .

Some of the 1st years got to do the shelter med rotation last quarter! Definitely a big thing here. The elective filled up super quick.

We have a shelter med elective here that VM1s can take! I was enrolled in it, but unfortunately it was cancelled a month or so ago due to... reasons. :(

Jealous. We do it have any animal welfare courses that I know of. But I am excited to go to ISU for the animal welfare competition next year .
We were actually encouraged to attend 2016's welfare judging competition (at OSU, right?). Ultimately didn't go, but it would have been really cool---I know that we did send a couple of VM1s and they enjoyed it a lot. I didn't know we were hosting next year; that's exciting!

I'm like 1 of 3 people in my class interested in shelter med lol. Interesting to hear that it's such a popular subject at other schools.

I've never heard of this judging competition, but it sounds like something I need to enter in.

Here's our schedule for next semester. Bio 1 is a combination of pathology and immunology, while Bio 2 is pathogens (bacteria, viruses, parasites, and helminths). We also get to start taking electives, with the credit amount expected to steadily increase through the end of 3rd year. I'm excited because I'm taking Lab Animal Med for my elective!

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 57
I don't think we have the option to take a shelter med class until 3rd year, but I joined the shelter club which has interesting lectures related to shelter medicine. I also volunteer on the mobile clinic so we get tons of shelter med experience!

I don't think we have the option to take a shelter med class until 3rd year, but I joined the shelter club which has interesting lectures related to shelter medicine. I also volunteer on the mobile clinic so we get tons of shelter med experience!

I'm in shelter club here! We have really informative meetings as well. Sadly, didactic students don't really get opportunities to go on our mobile clinic. :(

We have large animal anatomy, physiology II (systems now), pathology, neurology, and nutrition. Plus labs for all but nutrition.

Nutrition is only one day a week but apparently the class is awful. Boooo

Sooooo jelly of that reptile elective!

We have Feral Fixin twice a semester, which is basically a huge TNR event that we can volunteer to help with. It's lots of fun :D

I don't think we have any shelter electives before rotations but I'm not sure.

We have large animal anatomy, physiology II (systems now), pathology, neurology, and nutrition. Plus labs for all but nutrition.

Nutrition is only one day a week but apparently the class is awful. Boooo
May differ by school, but here nutrition suuuuuuuucks. Generally ~20-30% of the class actually fails it but everyone still manages to pass thanks to the curve. Glad to have that class done with...

May differ by school, but here nutrition suuuuuuuucks. Generally ~20-30% of the class actually fails it but everyone still manages to pass thanks to the curve. Glad to have that class done with...
ugh, so stupid! I'm told it's pretty much the worst class we'll take.

ugh, so stupid! I'm told it's pretty much the worst class we'll take.
Ugh. I don't know if that's true here, but it is definitely recognized as one of the lowest points of the first semester---I seriously thought that if anatomy wasn't going to make me end up on academic probation or, worse, get me failed out, then nutrition was going to. Ended the class with something like a 55% but still somehow pulled a C for a final grade. Coming into vet school, I wouldn't have expected nutrition to be such a rough class for so many people, but apparently it is. I was warned thoroughly prior to the midterm to not underestimate the test but didn't heed that advice nearly well enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. I don't know if that's true here, but it is definitely recognized as one of the lowest points of the first semester---I seriously thought that if anatomy wasn't going to make me end up on academic probation or, worse, get me failed out, then nutrition was going to. Ended the class with something like a 55% but still somehow pulled a C for a final grade. Coming into vet school, I wouldn't have expected nutrition to be such a rough class for so many people, but apparently it is. I was warned thoroughly prior to the midterm to not underestimate the test but didn't heed that advice nearly enough.

But, hey... I can formulate and balance horse diets down to the macro- and micronutrient level now? So that's something.
I don't think it's suppose to be the hardest class we'll take (I'm screwed if it's harder than anatomy), but just how it's structured and taught is awful.

Sorry it was such a tough class at your school and I'm glad you got through it! You'll be able to sympathize when I complain about it this semester :p

We were actually encouraged to attend 2016's welfare judging competition (at OSU, right?). Ultimately didn't go, but it would have been really cool---I know that we did send a couple of VM1s and they enjoyed it a lot. I didn't know we were hosting next year; that's exciting!

It was super cool! Definitely something I recommend to everyone because it gives you a really practical outlook on how welfare works. I learned a ton.

Sooooo jelly of that reptile elective!

That filled up super fast too. lol.

I don't think it's suppose to be the hardest class we'll take (I'm screwed if it's harder than anatomy), but just how it's structured and taught is awful.

Sorry it was such a tough class at your school and I'm glad you got through it! You'll be able to sympathize when I complain about it this semester :p
Absolutely. ;)

I actually did pretty well on the final (B+), but it wasn't enough to compensate for a truly terrible midterm exam grade, unfortunately. But, hey, I'm an idiot---if I made it through, you certainly can, too! Have faith. :D

I'm in shelter club here! We have really informative meetings as well. Sadly, didactic students don't really get opportunities to go on our mobile clinic. :(
Aww bummer. I love the mobile clinic so much. I really think all schools should have one and allow any vet students to participate because it really helps give us hands on learning and practicing in a fast paced environment, while also allowing us to give back to the community.

Damn. We're taking "Fundamentals of Genetics and Nutrition" right now and so far we've only learned about genetics. A little nervous for nutrition.

Absolutely. ;)

I actually did pretty well on the final (B+), but it wasn't enough to compensate for a truly terrible midterm exam grade, unfortunately. But, hey, I'm an idiot---if I made it through, you certainly can, too! Have faith. :D
I just keep telling myself that since I made it through anatomy I can do anything :p

Last edited:
Damn. We're taking "Fundamentals of Genetics and Nutrition" right now and so far we've only learned about genetics. A little nervous for nutrition.

That seems like a very odd combo for a class o_O haha

Reactions: 3 users
That seems like a very odd combo for a class o_O haha

We have biochem, nutrition, & genetics as a first semester course. The biochem and genetics together made sense, but nutrition didn't really tie in with the coursework we had. It was kind of awkward.

Our second semester schedule, sans electives because I'm not taking any. I think the options were a swine medicine course, 2 zoo medicine courses, and an international class that you have to take if you want to apply for travel grants:

Attachments

• s17 courses.jpg
    s17 courses.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 46