Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you talking to me? You need to go through my agent from now on.
I need to buy some W2VM Biggest Fan shirts. Kitten can have a Corky Biggest Fan shirt to match.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I need to buy some W2VM Biggest Fan shirts. Kitten can have a Corky Biggest Fan shirt to match.

Only if you model it with nothing else on ;). I really shouldn't be saying that, but I can't help myself.

Too bad you didn't have a copy of the (alleged) shirtless photo from the drunk thread last week. Would have *really* given granny something to talk about.

That's right. Grandma knows what's up.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Class starts tomorrow. Three and a half weeks off has been amazing, and I don't want to go back yet :(

One day in and I can already tell that neuroanatomy is going to suck.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed that class. I was dreading it.

Of course, I don't remember any of it. The extent of my neurology is dealing with IVDD, head trauma, seizures, and the occasional "*shrug*, who knows, let's try clinda and see if it's toxo" patient, but that's why god made neurologists.

Reactions: 5 users
I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed that class. I was dreading it.

Of course, I don't remember any of it. The extent of my neurology is dealing with IVDD, head trauma, seizures, and the occasional "*shrug*, who knows, let's try clinda and see if it's toxo" patient, but that's why god made neurologists.
That gives me some hope that it might not be so bad, then. :)

That gives me some hope that it might not be so bad, then. :)

Dunno if our reasons for dreading it are the same - for me it was the terminology, the complexity - it just seemed so damn alien compared to everything ELSE in the body. And a couple of our lecturers were unintelligible: obviously foreign researchers fulfilling their requirement to do a certain amount of teaching, but who unfortunately had incredibly limited English.

But in the end, it was more hands-on than I expected - all the microscopic stuff and our gross dissection really helped me a lot.

And I'll never forget Amy G Dala angrily riding her Hippo(campus).

Dunno if our reasons for dreading it are the same - for me it was the terminology, the complexity - it just seemed so damn alien compared to everything ELSE in the body. And a couple of our lecturers were unintelligible: obviously foreign researchers fulfilling their requirement to do a certain amount of teaching, but who unfortunately had incredibly limited English.

But in the end, it was more hands-on than I expected - all the microscopic stuff and our gross dissection really helped me a lot.

And I'll never forget Amy G Dala angrily riding her Hippo(campus).

I still find ophthalmology terminology more confusing. I just can't remember all the damn ophtho words.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still find ophthalmology terminology more confusing. I just can't remember all the damn ophtho words.

I was terrified of ophtho, but our teacher (Christine Lim) was so incredibly organized in her approach to teaching .... she really made it accessible for me. (I hear her ophtho text is great for GP-level of practice - it's very "match the picture, here's how you treat" kinda oriented.) Now I like ophtho cases with one major exception: glaucoma. Glaucoma just plain sucks. Throw meds in their eye and then when that doesn't work either mannitol them or perform paracentesis. Mannitol may or may not work - if it doesn't - haha, you're screwed. If it does, it doesn't matter, they rebound anyway. Paracentesis always works, but they rebound anyway.

So in the end, you're just screwed. Glaucoma sucks. Period.

Last one I dx'd I sent out blasto testing and by the time we got the positive results back it was in the other eye and the owners euth'd.

I hate glaucoma.

Truth, though, I'm a little biased. Usually by the time they get to me they're non-visual or close to non-visual and the pressure is like 70.

I was terrified of ophtho, but our teacher (Christine Lim) was so incredibly organized in her approach to teaching .... she really made it accessible for me. (I hear her ophtho text is great for GP-level of practice - it's very "match the picture, here's how you treat" kinda oriented.) Now I like ophtho cases with one major exception: glaucoma. Glaucoma just plain sucks. Throw meds in their eye and then when that doesn't work either mannitol them or perform paracentesis. Mannitol may or may not work - if it doesn't - haha, you're screwed. If it does, it doesn't matter, they rebound anyway. Paracentesis always works, but they rebound anyway.

So in the end, you're just screwed. Glaucoma sucks. Period.

Last one I dx'd I sent out blasto testing and by the time we got the positive results back it was in the other eye and the owners euth'd.

I hate glaucoma.

Truth, though, I'm a little biased. Usually by the time they get to me they're non-visual or close to non-visual and the pressure is like 70.

I go "here's your referral" with glaucoma cases... and warn them that their pet may lose that eye and it frequently affects both eyes. I saw a Boston a few months ago, owner with no money, both eyes were crap, dog has likely been blind for some time. One eye looked about to rupture out of the head with the second eye very close behind... recommended bilateral enucleation or euthanize. Owner couldn't comprehend why I couldn't just "give some drops and pain meds".

@kcoughli finally met the infamous Frank today in our first microanatomy lecture!

Kind of loving that one of our classes is a hybrid online course and pretty much self-paced. Getting through a lot of the busywork before the semester picks up.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey 2020 peeps, how much did you have to pay for your acceptance deposit? I have no idea what I'd need to budget for if I somehow get accepted this month.

Hey 2020 peeps, how much did you have to pay for your acceptance deposit? I have no idea what I'd need to budget for if I somehow get accepted this month.

$1000 (I think...... if not it was $500)

It does go towards your tuition though which is good

If you just applied to WSU, we had no deposit last year :) I'm assuming it would be the same this year!

If you just applied to WSU, we had no deposit last year :) I'm assuming it would be the same this year!
CSU didn't have a deposit either. Don't remember 100% for TAMU or Wisconsin but I don't believe they had them either? Not that any of this is helpful for WSU. Listen to Caiter. :p

CSU didn't have a deposit either. Don't remember 100% for TAMU or Wisconsin but I don't believe they had them either? Not that any of this is helpful for WSU. Listen to Caiter. :p
WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE

Reactions: 1 users
It was 1k for OOS, and 500 for IS here. And it went towards your 1st semester's bill

u wanna fite? :rage:
IMG_3658.GIF

Okay, I'll save my fite for later then :ninja:

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys I hope you don't mind me intruding, but now that you've finished your first semester of vet school what would be your advise for those of us that will be in your shoes in a couple of months?

Hey guys I hope you don't mind me intruding, but now that you've finished your first semester of vet school what would be your advise for those of us that will be in your shoes in a couple of months?
Enjoy your free time while you can! Even if you'll be working or whatever right up until school starts, vet school is a whole different kind of busy. Take time for something fun over the summer if you can, I took a three-week road trip with my boyfriend and it was a great decision. Don't try to study before school starts. Hold onto the excitement of being accepted as long as you can. That's all I can think of at the moment, but there are multiple threads on the subject if you search around!

Reactions: 9 users
I had to stop for a minute and think August is only a couple months away? Haha. Give or take.

There will be a few lectures at the very beginning where things will seem very familiar from undergrad. Do not fall into the trap that you don't have to study it as much. You'll fall into a trap of thinking you don't have to study as much. There's a difference between familiar material and actually knowing the material.

Reactions: 4 users

Don't be afraid to ask your professors for help, generally they have some really great advice and really care about helping you succeed.

Don't forget to sleep. Getting a good nights rest really does make the world of a difference.

Take nights off of studying and do non-vet stuff. Hang out with friends, watch TV, exercise, go out for dinner or drinks. You're not going to fail just because you took one night off.

Go to lunch and learns and club meetings. Free food, and you may be surprised by what interests you.

Have fun. It's a wild ride that can be really stressful, exhausting, and absolutely awful at times, but I have met some of the best friends I could ask for and made some of the best memories in one semester. My first semester flew by quicker than I could have imagined. Exams are tough, but at least for me, looking back on it, the hard work is so worth it.

Reactions: 7 users
Me, one week ago: "I'm gonna get back into vet school rhythm and go to sleep early and get up early."

Still going to bed too late and waking up about when class would start, 4 days before semester. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: 9 users
Me, one week ago: "I'm gonna get back into vet school rhythm and go to sleep early and get up early."

Still going to bed too late and waking up about when class would start, 4 days before semester. Keep up the good work.
I had similar intentions. Didn't happen, which is why after 3 days of classes I feel like :zombie:

I had similar intentions. Didn't happen, which is why after 3 days of classes I feel like :zombie:

Why is it that these three days of class were the longest of my life? I blame it on epidemiology... that class is going to be one to put me to sleep, I can already tell.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Why is it that these three days of class were the longest of my life? I blame it on epidemiology... that class is going to be one to put me to sleep, I can already tell.

I like epi but I was still too tired to pay attention the whole time. There's a good 15 minute gap in my notes.

Solution is to just not go to class :p

I don't have the self motivation required for that, otherwise I would totally do it :laugh:
I'm a terrible student. I usually only go to labs and lectures for our Practice of Vet Med class.

There were two classes I skipped entirely except labs last semester. Got an A in both of them. There were two classes I didn't miss a single lecture. Got a B in both of those. Realizing this doesn't do well for next semesters motivation....

Wish we could skip classes... there's only 34 of us, so profs tend to notice when someone is missing :p

Wish we could skip classes... there's only 34 of us, so profs tend to notice when someone is missing :p

Our classroom has exactly enough seats for our class number. So even though there's 160 of us, is obvious when someone is missing.

I like epi but I was still too tired to pay attention the whole time. There's a good 15 minute gap in my notes.

You... have notes for that class? Already doing 100% better than me.

During my epidemiology class I read all the Harry Potter books for the first time. I got a B by 0.2% because the professor didn't round grades but I don't really regret it.

See I love epidemiology and diseases and things. Between that and virology and parasitology this semester, plus infectious diseases journal club, I'm like

source.gif

...once I get my sleep schedule back on track anyway

Eavesdropping on my classmates' conversations following today's immuno lecture, it has been made extremely obvious to me who has and hasn't taken a course in it before. :p

Love immuno. :)