Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is finished

Now to start studying for parasit...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
16996088_1280192935379765_4172068611060753579_n.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys ever stop for a minute and think "Woah. I'm in vet school."
Like sometimes I can't believe I actually made it here.

Yep. 3/4ths of the way through 1st year and sometimes it still blows my mind that I'm here.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep. 3/4ths of the way through 1st year and sometimes it still blows my mind that I'm here.

I'll have those moments too. I'll be staring off into space and see an official U of I sign or something and think, "I'm actually here". Being back in school doesn't really feel like real life sometimes.

I had a nightmare last night of failing out, actually. Lol. I dreamed I missed the final for this quarter, so I failed the quarter. I was at a football game or something. I woke up thinking it was the day after and they told me I was done. It took me a good thirty seconds to realize it was all a dream.

Tests in both neuro lecture and lab, anatomy lecture and lab, GI phys, and path within the week and a halfish between now and spring break. Feeling extremely unprepared for all of them. Oh, and then we get slapped with immuno and case studies tests right when we come back from break, too. :help:

I really hate cramming and I try not to, but it's practically the only way to survive with this kind of test schedule. Urgh.

Finally on spring break and done with classes for the quarter... I made a 79.44 in immuno. First C of vet school :( kinda bummed but I suppose it doesn't matter. Happy to be done with that hellish quarter!

Finally on spring break and done with classes for the quarter... I made a 79.44 in immuno. First C of vet school :( kinda bummed but I suppose it doesn't matter. Happy to be done with that hellish quarter!
Try not to let it get to you too much. Immuno is really tough to understand conceptually a lot of the time, especially if you don't have previous exposure from undergrad. And, hey, if that is the only C you've made so far in vet school, I'd say you're not doing too badly at all. Just keep swimming! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone here at University of Tennessee that I can PM a question to?

Members don't see this ad :)
The impostor syndrome is strong today. I haven't broken down and cried over school since midway through the disaster that was last semester, but... here I am. I feel like I am trying harder and focusing so much better this semester but my grades are still marginal in a few classes. I'm just really frustrated and am doubting my ability to make it through vet school. :(

The impostor syndrome is strong today. I haven't broken down and cried over school since midway through the disaster that was last semester, but... here I am. I feel like I am trying harder and focusing so much better this semester but my grades are still marginal in a few classes. I'm just really frustrated and am doubting my ability to make it through vet school. :(

I'm sorry sandstorm :( have you tried changing the way you study? With groups maybe? First year is tough trying to figure out how to manage the stress on stress on stress...

Do you have a councillor or someone who can help you with study strategies? Even just a friend who might have some advice. Lots of hugs :(

I find making flashcards during class helps me, and then reviewing a few of them every day so I see the material on a routine basis. I use the free Anki app for my flashcards, and it's helped quite a few people in my class once I showed them my system! If you're interested I'd be happy to share :)

Just take a deep breath and take a step back from school for a moment. Don't fall into the trap that just because you are struggling now you will struggle every moment of every year. I believe statistically, my class struggled the most first year by a mile, but when first year was done, anatomy books were burned.... things got better even though there were some really difficult classes. You are getting closer to finishing first year, hang in there and know we are here for you!

Hugs @SandstormDVM. Here if you need to chat or anything. Have you been giving yourself mental breaks, focusing on your wellness and all that? Is there someone at school you can talk to about your study methods/can you meet with your professors for advice?
Do you have a councillor or someone who can help you with study strategies? Even just a friend who might have some advice. Lots of hugs :(

I find making flashcards during class helps me, and then reviewing a few of them every day so I see the material on a routine basis. I use the free Anki app for my flashcards, and it's helped quite a few people in my class once I showed them my system! If you're interested I'd be happy to share :)
I know Sandy was using Anki at some point last semester, not sure if she still is.

At any rate, I'd love to see your system! I've fallen off from using Anki but did well when I was using it so I'd like to pick it back up, hopefully with more efficiency.

Haha well it's pretty simple!

I have an add-on called Hierarchical Tags that lets me make a tag for each class, what section of the class we're on (for classes divided into body systems, etc) and then the lecture. So during class, I make flashcards based on the powerpoints/what the prof says, which helps me actually stay focused. I tag them all with their class name, section and lecture, then move the cards into my master deck for that class. An example tag might be Physio::Gastrointestinal_System::Lipids. Here's my list of master decks:
Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 6.26.30 PM.png

I have them all set to do 5 reviews and 5 new cards per day, because it's a nice low number that actually encourages me to review a little bit of everything each day, because it only takes about 20-30 minutes.

When exams come around, because I have the hierarchical tag system, I can pick and choose what I want to "cram" using a filtered deck. Here's my current filtered deck I'm working on for my physiology exam on Wednesday:
Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 6.28.58 PM.png

So the deck selects all of my gastrointestinal cards from my main physiology deck, regardless of what lecture title I have assigned to it (since the lecture name comes where the asterisk is in that search function). If I wanted to study a particular lecture, I could filter all of the cards for that lecture as well.

Right now I have 1400 GI cards, so I slowly worked through most of them over the span of last week. I just rebuilt the filtered deck and am "speed-running" them, marking cards that are important/I find challenging, to cut down on the number I have to look at tomorrow for a last minute study session.

I really like flashcards because I can't just read over notes and learn that way... with flashcards you're presented with a question (like you would be on an exam) and you have to come up with an answer. So it helps improve your memorization by leaps and bounds because it's an active process, unlike reading notes or highlighting. Just my 2¢ :)

Reactions: 1 user
Love you. Thanks for letting me stay with you all week and study. Next quarter will definitely be better!

It's Monday night of our week long spring break and I feel like it's flying by. I need another couple weeks...

Haha well it's pretty simple!

I have an add-on called Hierarchical Tags that lets me make a tag for each class, what section of the class we're on (for classes divided into body systems, etc) and then the lecture. So during class, I make flashcards based on the powerpoints/what the prof says, which helps me actually stay focused. I tag them all with their class name, section and lecture, then move the cards into my master deck for that class. An example tag might be Physio::Gastrointestinal_System::Lipids. Here's my list of master decks:
View attachment 215481

I have them all set to do 5 reviews and 5 new cards per day, because it's a nice low number that actually encourages me to review a little bit of everything each day, because it only takes about 20-30 minutes.

When exams come around, because I have the hierarchical tag system, I can pick and choose what I want to "cram" using a filtered deck. Here's my current filtered deck I'm working on for my physiology exam on Wednesday:
View attachment 215482
So the deck selects all of my gastrointestinal cards from my main physiology deck, regardless of what lecture title I have assigned to it (since the lecture name comes where the asterisk is in that search function). If I wanted to study a particular lecture, I could filter all of the cards for that lecture as well.

Right now I have 1400 GI cards, so I slowly worked through most of them over the span of last week. I just rebuilt the filtered deck and am "speed-running" them, marking cards that are important/I find challenging, to cut down on the number I have to look at tomorrow for a last minute study session.

I really like flashcards because I can't just read over notes and learn that way... with flashcards you're presented with a question (like you would be on an exam) and you have to come up with an answer. So it helps improve your memorization by leaps and bounds because it's an active process, unlike reading notes or highlighting. Just my 2¢ :)
This is awesome, thank you!

@WildZoo stop posting in 2021! You're going to help them pass us!:mad:;)

Reactions: 6 users
Oh good, now there's civil war in 2020 :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Of interest: I posted in their thread 60 times. I posted in this thread 360 times.

I'm waiting for the popcorn gifs.
. . . I have apparently only posted in this thread 161 times? I feel like that's off . . . Nothing beteeen December and January is showing up and I know I complained a few time spent during finals :laugh:

I didn't really get active here till school started though.

. . . I have apparently only posted in this thread 161 times? I feel like that's off . . . Nothing beteeen December and January is showing up and I know I complained a few time spent during finals :laugh:

I didn't really get active here till school started though.
Oh, yeah, I keep forgetting about that weird gap in December. So it definitely should be more.