Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just what I was afraid of. Calculated my anatomy grade and at the moment I am just barely passing. Trying to be proactive about it. I've got a tutor set up and am going to utilize the lab more often outside of school hours. Still definitely really frustrated given how much time and effort I put into the last test that I still bombed it because I wasn't confident in my initial answers. Oh, well.

In slightly better news, took my neuro lecture midterm this morning and despite not putting probably nearly enough study time into it I think I actually did pretty decently (and it looks like I got very lucky on some of my guesses, too). Just path on Wednesday and GI phys on Thursday until spring break!
I'm currently not passing anatomy. You definitely aren't the only one struggling, but I really like anatomy, I just haven't been able to put the time into it this quarter because of our insane physiology professor.
81a3f14af7ac63e8d1413731ea02b42d50c825a59800614db400e531179811f4.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm finding it a lot harder this semester with parasit, bact, viro combo to retain information. They always say "learn to retain" but it feels like we're bouncing from exam to exam with millions of different organisms. I know this stuff is important, but I just don't enjoy it as much as the physiology sciency type stuff. Bad doctor, w2vm? :eek:

Pretty much diarrhea for everything, that's all I know.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm finding it a lot harder this semester with parasit, bact, viro combo to retain information. They always say "learn to retain" but it feels like we're bouncing from exam to exam with millions of different organisms. I know this stuff is important, but I just don't enjoy it as much as the physiology sciency type stuff. Bad doctor, w2vm? :eek:

I feel the same way. Is yours all in one class? Ours is and it feels like a whirlwind.

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel the same way. Is yours all in one class? Ours is and it feels like a whirlwind.[/QUOTE

Yep, same here. We have one class called animal pathogens with modules for virology, bacteriology, mycology, and parasit. We're in bacteriology right now.

Yep, same here. We have one class called animal pathogens with modules for virology, bacteriology, mycology, and parasit. We're in bacteriology right now.

This was the last 8 weeks of the fall semester for us. It was all threat-based information, which meant a lot of infectious agent data and a lot to memorize. Wasn't fun.

Ours is called Agents of Disease, and doesn't have modules. It's just one big hodgepodge class.

Ours is called Agents of Disease, and doesn't have modules. It's just one big hodgepodge class.

Welcome to the new curriculum. When I was there it was still separate Virology/Bacteriology/Parasitology courses. I can't remember where fungal disease fit in.

I thought there were some good changes with the new curriculum, but some of it amused me - like taking those three courses, literally just lumping them together, and calling it new 'n improved. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the new curriculum. When I was there it was still separate Virology/Bacteriology/Parasitology courses. I can't remember where fungal disease fit in.

I thought there were some good changes with the new curriculum, but some of it amused me - like taking those three courses, literally just lumping them together, and calling it new 'n improved. :)

I have to give credit to the profs in that course because they are really trying to make it work, but it's definitely one of the less organized ones we're in right now.

never again...

no
I have to give credit to the profs in that course because they are really trying to make it work, but it's definitely one of the less organized ones we're in right now.

Imagine how disorganized it was 3 years ago when I took it and it was brand-new. None of the profs really even tried to make it cohesive, the parasit prof did not want to be there (pretty sure he tried to retire but they had no one to take his place at the time), and there was a 42 point riot that I'd love to share with you via PM if you're interested.

Pretty sure the only diseases I really learned about in that class were the ones I had to make modules on (so equine strongyles and swine mange? yeah no I remember nothing of those either).

This is how ours is running, since it's the first year of the new curriculum. 8 weeks of a Normal Animal class, 8 weeks of Dealing with Threats. Each was 10 credits, four tests each.

We don't have these classes till next year, but now I'm wondering how ours fit in. We have Microbiology so I'm assuming this includes bacteriology. Then Pathology is separate. And one quarter of Parasitology.

never again...

no

Imagine how disorganized it was 3 years ago when I took it and it was brand-new. None of the profs really even tried to make it cohesive, the parasit prof did not want to be there (pretty sure he tried to retire but they had no one to take his place at the time), and there was a 42 point riot that I'd love to share with you via PM if you're interested.

Pretty sure the only diseases I really learned about in that class were the ones I had to make modules on (so equine strongyles and swine mange? yeah no I remember nothing of those either).

Oh man. Our parasit. prof now is great.

I welcome 42 point riots.

We don't have these classes till next year, but now I'm wondering how ours fit in. We have Microbiology so I'm assuming this includes bacteriology. Then Pathology is separate. And one quarter of Parasitology.

We have path separately, just bacteriology, virology, & parasitology together.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have bacteriology/mycology first semester as one class (lol I don't think I learned anything about fungi except what I already knew), and then parasitology and virology as separate classes this semester. Definitely a lot of organisms, and I think parasit is the class with the lowest average right now. Of course, the only exam we've had so far was the Monday after a Friday anatomy exam, so perhaps not unexpected.

What are your school's curriculums for next year? Just curious since we're taking a bunch of classes next year that y'all are taking now.

Parasitology is covered in all 3 years so you get it again next year and then the lab 3rd year. Don't lose your notes. She expects you to know what she teaches you and just builds off it

What are your school's curriculums for next year? Just curious since we're taking a bunch of classes next year that y'all are taking now.

I think you and I might have similar curricula. Next year is pathology stuff where we learn stuff that goes wrong.

It sounds like our curriculums might be similar.

For fall of next year, we're in micro, anatomic path II, parasit, case studies III, ethics, and principles of surgery.

For next spring, it's pharm, case studies IV, virology, public health, principles of surgery lab, small animal surgery, anesthesiology, and clin path.

Fall: Toxicology, Pharm 1, Gen Path, Clin Path, Anesthesia, Surgery, Urinary
Spring: Alimentary, Nutrition, Behavior, Endocrine, Special Senses, Neuro, Pharm 2

Plus our case study and clinical exposure weeks and the success/wellness class each semester

I think you and I might have similar curricula. Next year is pathology stuff where we learn stuff that goes wrong.
Same here, first year is pretty much all normal anatomy/physiology and second year we learn abnormal stuff. Fall semester we have gen path, bacteriology/mycology, parasit, and pharm, and spring semester we have systemic path, toxicology, virology, clin path, radiology, and pharm II.

Oh, interesting. Yeah all of our pharm and path are next year. This quarter we're doing physiology 3, clinical anatomy, anesthesia, theriogenology, practice of vet med, one health.

Screenshot_20170308-194152.png

How I feel after that travesty of a test. :scared::barf:

GI phys and I do not get along... but hey! That was the last test in the long string of six over the past week and a half or so! Leaving tomorrow to go home for spring break! :love:

Reactions: 1 users
How I feel after that travesty of a test. :scared::barf:

GI phys and I do not get along... but hey! That was the last test in the long string of six over the past week and a half or so! Leaving tomorrow to go home for spring break! :love:

I don't think anybody gets along with GI phys :laugh: I took a course on metabolic physiology in my undergrad, and we just finished GI physiology, and I still know nothing. It just doesn't stick in my brain hahaha

never again...

no

Meh. He had been wanting to retire for years. And it showed.

I've always been so glad I had to learn about Eimeria truncata *SPECIFICALLY*. I mean, c'mon.

Sweet. This cat/dog vet remembers a goose parasite. Sigh.

I don't think anybody gets along with GI phys :laugh: I took a course on metabolic physiology in my undergrad, and we just finished GI physiology, and I still know nothing. It just doesn't stick in my brain hahaha
I kind of liked GI phys
But then the professor who taught it tends to be the easiest of the phys professors.

The only thing between me and spring break is a bacteriology exam :( Trying to motivate myself to keep going for 19 more hours

Meh. He had been wanting to retire for years. And it showed.

I've always been so glad I had to learn about Eimeria truncata *SPECIFICALLY*. I mean, c'mon.

Sweet. This cat/dog vet remembers a goose parasite. Sigh.

I had parasitology while I was still in Scotland. The lecturer for that course was obsessed with sheep. I kid you not, we had more notes about sheep parasites than all other species combined.

Terrified to take this pharm midterm... so close to a weekend off I can almost taste it though....

I might honestly feel worse about that test than I have about any other test this year, and that's saying a lot with anatomy.

Oh well. Currently binging Netflix and have no plans to move for the rest of the day to kick off break.

Sitting around in the Charlotte airport, waiting to see if I'm going to get a seat on the flight I want.

Oh, well. I found the wine bar.

Reactions: 5 users
I might honestly feel worse about that test than I have about any other test this year, and that's saying a lot with anatomy.

Oh well. Currently binging Netflix and have no plans to move for the rest of the day to kick off break.

Kinda in the same boat. So making fish sticks and going to play Halo

Sure do. Today it's a bit of a mixed bag..:xf:

I do too! Today was a crap fest for me. Driving three hours to a different airport in the morning because I won't be able to get out of this one until Monday

I do too! Today was a crap fest for me. Driving three hours to a different airport in the morning because I won't be able to get out of this one until Monday

So I did not make my flights yesterday. I had one swiped from me with 30 SECONDS to door closure. That hurt. :mad:

But as luck would have it, I found two people also on standby who were going to the same cruise. So after checking flights we decided to rent a car and drive the 10 hours to the airport. Road trip!

In the end, we all would have been able to get out on the first flight of the day. o_O Oh well. At least I had a successful adventure

So I did not make my flights yesterday. I had one swiped from me with 30 SECONDS to door closure. That hurt. :mad:

But as luck would have it, I found two people also on standby who were going to the same cruise. So after checking flights we decided to rent a car and drive the 10 hours to the airport. Road trip!

In the end, we all would have been able to get out on the first flight of the day. o_O Oh well. At least I had a successful adventure

I had one swiped too when I had boarding pass in hand walking on. But I got out first flight this morning from the other airport.

How does someone swipe your flight if you have the boarding pass??

How does someone swipe your flight if you have the boarding pass??

We're flying standby, so you get a boarding pass to get the the gate, but not an actual seat assignment. You only get that if there are open seats, or if a customer no shows. It's totally up to factors outside your control, but if you get on the flight is free. :D So it works out fairly, I think.

We're flying standby, so you get a boarding pass to get the the gate, but not an actual seat assignment. You only get that if there are open seats, or if a customer no shows. It's totally up to factors outside your control, but if you get on the flight is free. :D So it works out fairly, I think.

You fly for free. You play musical chairs and you fly for free.

I will have to remember this system.

Hmm... Southwest Airlines? Haven't flown with them for a while, but iirc this is basically how they did it.

Hmm... Southwest Airlines? Haven't flown with them for a while, but iirc this is basically how they did it.
This sounds different than Southwest. With Sw, you buy a ticket with no specific seat, check-in 24 hrs before the flight. Order you check in online is the order people board the plane and pick whatever seat they want. It's a little more complicated than that if you pay more for a ticket or one of the preferred members (whatever its called) but that's the basic idea.

This sounds different than Southwest. With Sw, you buy a ticket with no specific seat, check-in 24 hrs before the flight. Order you check in online is the order people board the plane and pick whatever seat they want. It's a little more complicated than that if you pay more for a ticket or one of the preferred members (whatever its called) but that's the basic idea.

I can't speak for alohacat, but my standby status is because a family friend who works for one of the big airlines put me on their account as a registered companion. So I can try for standby flights along with airline employees and crew.

My parents work for an airline company so I fly free on the airline they work for and for like $30 per flight on other airlines to cover fees. The way it works for employee dependants, you show up at the airport and you are on a standby list. During boarding, any seats that are not booked, or any seat where someone just no-shows or doesn't make a connection we can take. For some companies it goes based off seniority of how long your employee has been at the company and for some it is just based off of how early you check in for the standby list, however if I am standing by on a company that is something other than my parent's, anyone who actually works for that company goes ahead of me. So I had a seat on a different company plane and someone came running up from a different flight and they worked for the company so I got bumped. It can be horrible at times if it's busy, I've gotten stuck quite a few times overnight, but it's free, so it's all a gambling game. You also have to be very flexible in flying. For instance yesterday I was trying to get home, and I was trying flights to Denver, LA, Vegas, and Houston, just to get out of that city and then get a connection where I was going, so you have to constantly look in the computer system and see where your best bet is of empty seats. But I have been to over 30 countries around the world, and most international flights I have gone on, I have been able to fly first class because we pick to travel on flights that have openings.... so it has definitely been pretty great growing up.

Last edited:
Aloha, can your parents adopt me? They'd instantly become grandparents too!

Reactions: 5 users
Aloha, can your parents adopt me? They'd instantly become grandparents too!
They'd be excited about the grandparent part because they know that I won't be making that happen for a longgggg time!