Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yo, I know I've brought this up already, but bringing it up again:

Anyone going to SAVMA?! It would be cool to know you in real life and not in a computer!

Members don't see this ad.

Yo, I know I've brought this up already, but bringing it up again:

Anyone going to SAVMA?! It would be cool to know you in real life and not in a computer!
You can get us out of the computer any time you know! :p

giphy.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Emergency surgery yesterday at my spring break destination. Currently in hospital bed.

That pressure sore I had at the start of last semester, ya, that closed and looked fine but it didn't heal. It started over winter break with unrelenting. stabbing electrical pains in swollen superficial inguinal LN. I was imaged at this exact same hospital and diagnosed with Lymphadenopathy; I was supposed to follow up but we know how vet school is. I asked the doc if the previous sore and LN could be related, he said didn't think so.

The LN stabbies waxed and waned since Dec, and I also got recurrent fevers. Monday I was getting tortured, and by yesterday I was burning up with 103F, LN were huge, and I had a huge mass right under the previous sore. It abscessed, big time.

I was supposed to get it imaged next Friday in Colorado, but I said nope, I'm going in. Staff immediately was freaking over sepsis, and I went to the OR as quick as possible. He drained a full cup of puss out of there, so gnarly.

Let's see how I'm gonna navigate this one, because this will take awhile to heal.

#springbreak

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Emergency surgery yesterday at my spring break destination. Currently in hospital bed.

That pressure sore I had at the start of last semester, ya, that closed and looked fine but it didn't heal. It started over winter break with unrelenting. stabbing electrical pains in swollen superficial inguinal LN. I was imaged at this exact same hospital and diagnosed with Lymphadenopathy; I was supposed to follow up but we know how vet school is. I asked the doc if the previous sore and LN could be related, he said didn't think so.

The LN stabbies waxed and waned since Dec, and I also got recurrent fevers. Monday I was getting tortured, and by yesterday I was burning up with 103F, LN were huge, and I had a huge mass right under the previous sore. It abscessed, big time.

I was supposed to get it imaged next Friday in Colorado, but I said nope, I'm going in. Staff immediately was freaking over sepsis, and I went to the OR as quick as possible. He drained a cup of puss out of there, no gnarly.

Let's see how I'm gonna navigate this one, because this will take awhile to heal.

#springbreak

I wish you a speedy recovery, and am so sorry this happened to you!

I was supposed to get it imaged next Friday in Colorado, but I said nope, I'm going in. Staff immediately was freaking over sepsis, and I went to the OR as quick as possible. He drained a full cup of puss out of there, no gnarly.

#springbreak

Holy moly, W2VM. I don't know how you managed that pain for so long! I'm glad you went right in and I'm glad they treated you so quickly. I had a pilonidal cyst become abscessed and went in for emergency surgery - it was more painful than my ACL repair. I really hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds so awful to deal with, w2vm. :( I hope everything turns out okay for you and that you can start feeling better soon!

Holy moly, W2VM. I don't know how you managed that pain for so long! I'm glad you went right in and I'm glad they treated you so quickly. I had a pilonidal cyst become abscessed and went in for emergency surgery - it was more painful than my ACL repair. I really hope you feel better soon.

Sensation on my butt is extremely decreased and pretty spotty, so even if you saw the abscess and went "Wow, that must be painful" I really can't feel it there. But I'm hyperaesthetic in the inguinal area, so those lymph nodes were going nuts. I knew it was referred pain all along.

It's pretty crazy how much the inflammation decreased overnight. Those nodies gettin some relief.

Reactions: 4 users

I was supposed to get it imaged next Friday in Colorado, but I said nope, I'm going in. Staff immediately was freaking over sepsis, and I went to the OR as quick as possible. He drained a full cup of puss out of there, so gnarly.

#springbreak
:( Hope your recovery goes smoothly

Taking notes on some equine nutrition lectures and the only thing I've learned is that no matter what you do your horse will either colic or get laminitis to spite you. If you look at it wrong it will do both, violently and with flair.

2478675_o.gif

Reactions: 15 users
Taking notes on some equine nutrition lectures and the only thing I've learned is that no matter what you do your horse will either colic or get laminitis to spite you. If you look at it wrong it will do both, violently and with flair.

2478675_o.gif
Dangerous at both ends and crafty in the middle

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

2478675_o.gif

That is the most eloquent synopsis of equine medicine I have ever seen in my life.

Also -- my little brother is getting married this weekend! I'm giving a toast at the rehearsal dinner tomorrow, and quickly realizing that getting through this without a lot of feels and waterfalls from my eyes is going to be a challenge...

Reactions: 3 users
Also -- my little brother is getting married this weekend! I'm giving a toast at the rehearsal dinner tomorrow, and quickly realizing that getting through this without a lot of feels and waterfalls from my eyes is going to be a challenge...
Sibling weddings = :arghh::D:love::arghh::arghh:

Reactions: 1 users
That is the most eloquent synopsis of equine medicine I have ever seen in my life.
The only things I know about horses:
  • they have intestines instead of brains. this means whenever a horse thinks too hard its intestines will twist and it will colic
  • they can only think of one of two things at any given point in time: homicide and suicide
  • if it ain't doin right then there's a good chance either his feet hurt or his belly hurts
  • if you try to figure out which one hurts he'll kick you and then you'll hurt
  • don't let 'em get fat

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users

2478675_o.gif

This is if they don't break a leg first...

Reactions: 2 users
  • they have intestines instead of brains. this means whenever a horse thinks too hard its intestines will twist and it will colic
  • they can only think of one of two things at any given point in time: homicide and suicide
  • if it ain't doin right then there's a good chance either his feet hurt or his belly hurts
  • don't let 'em get fat
for boards: if they're fat they're cushingoid

Reactions: 9 users
  • don't let 'em get fat

for boards: if they're fat they're cushingoid

No no no no :p

2478675_o.gif

• don't let 'em get fat

This is exactly why I love equine med. #jobsecurity

Now you HAVE to help this thread pass C/O 2020. You have to :p

Well DUH. :soexcited:

+pad+

We have to pass C/O 2020's post count you guys come help

Found all this detritus on page 20 of the 2021 thread.

Stop helping them!!!!!!!!! See below. Lol

You survived the first. Not the second though lol.

Your contribution to the "pass the co 2020" fund has been noted. Thank you for assisting us in our work

I'm...slowly dying. Just spent the better part of 5 hours on parasit labs so I can hopefully pass a quiz that I'll be taking tomorrow. Though I swear if I only pass and don't do better than I did on the last one I'm going to scream.

I have an exam in a completely different class at 10am so that's fun too.

Our microanatomy professors just kicked the day off by giving the front row a puppy to snuggle and play with. He's now making his way through the rows of the classroom. Can we start every day like this?

Our microanatomy professors just kicked the day off by giving the front row a puppy to snuggle and play with. He's now making his way through the rows of the classroom. Can we start every day like this?

Omg. That rules.

Ha. Like I would pass the puppy. I'm a front row person, that puppy would never leave. :laugh:
(I'd realistically share, but I wouldn't be too happy about it)

And it's a Setter!!! <3

Gahjh!! That was my first guess, but I changed it to Springer. Lol. You would think vet school years would teach me not to change my answers

Gahjh!! That was my first guess, but I changed it to Springer. Lol. You would think vet school years would teach me not to change my answers

Lol! I already know I will NEED to go into vet school constantly reminding myself to not change answers. I only recognize Setters easily from owning one, and even then this pup could even just be the cutest mix ever! Either way - my week/month would be made if there was a puppy in my class room.

Lol! I already know I will NEED to go into vet school constantly reminding myself to not change answers. I only recognize Setters easily from owning one, and even then this pup could even just be the cutest mix ever! Either way - my week/month would be made if there was a puppy in my class room.

It made the day for my entire class - although I'm pretty sure the attention paid to lecture was minimum because we were all so fixated on the puppy :love:

Definitely a good habit to get into! I still struggle with trusting my gut on tests and the like, and I've been screwed over by changing my answers more times than I can count, especially in certain classes... *coughanatomycough*

The professors name the pup is Ryder I think

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Haha! Oops. Thank you for correcting me. I do like Ryder but Frank was sounding pretty darn cute there for a minute.

Haha! Oops. Thank you for correcting me. I do like Ryder but Frank was sounding pretty darn cute there for a minute.

I agree. I love animals with human names.

I agree. I love animals with human names.

So do I bat!! We actually named our second to last English Setter foster Kevin. His mom loved the name and ended up keeping it because it fit his goofy, yet serious, personality.

Attachments

• Kevin.jpg
    Kevin.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 44
My roommate's cat is named Jared and it's my favorite haha

YES, that is so good. Pretty sure that is one that my boyfriend and I have come up with when we're going through our human animal name list.

:boom:I finished a ridiculously stupid one credit course with an 89.51 and the prof doesn't round. My own fault for not caring more about it, but being that close is so freaking aggravating.

Hung up at every entrance to every vet school.

I personally intended to hang it up over my bed or on my door so people understood why I spend all of my free time at home in bed, but this should probably be done as well

I need it printed on business cards so when people ask how I'm doing or how school is doing I don't even have to talk about it

I need it printed on business cards so when people ask how I'm doing or how school is doing I don't even have to talk about it
At our welcome event they made a point to tell all the family members and friends who were there to ask us if we wanted to talk about school before talking about it. Which I loved. Usually I don't care but my (future) MIL takes it very seriously and asks me if she's allowed to ask about school every time :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users