Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Amen. This one seems particularly bad too, and I don't know why.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hip hip hooray! Fantastic jorb to those finished and you'll be done soon enough for those not quite there yet.
martini.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So we have this giant end of 2nd year large animal clinical exam, where we have to do a bunch of things on horses and cows one on one with clinicians. This exam is notorious for people not passing and having to go out to the large animal hospital (45 minutes away with no traffic) again between finals to "remediate" skills that they didn't do well on, which is a giant pain. Well, I have this exam today, and I am sick and literally could not have less of a voice. Like I try to scream and a little whisper comes out. Please pray for me :angelic:

So we have this giant end of 2nd year large animal clinical exam, where we have to do a bunch of things on horses and cows one on one with clinicians. This exam is notorious for people not passing and having to go out to the large animal hospital (45 minutes away with no traffic) again between finals to "remediate" skills that they didn't do well on, which is a giant pain. Well, I have this exam today, and I am sick and literally could not have less of a voice. Like I try to scream and a little whisper comes out. Please pray for me :angelic:
Yikes, good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
did the whole exam via whispering, I think it went ok! Also found out I got an A in pharm so that made the day way better :D

Reactions: 7 users
Clinicsssssssssss...

Reactions: 4 users
Recently got our required rotations schedule.. so excited!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally, finally, finally done.

Going to stay off social media all weekend and just read books. FOR FUN. Because apparently that's a thing.
It's funny, I kind of drop off the face of the Earth (or rather, SDN) right after a semester ends. All I want to do with my free time is read and watch TV.

Two more weeks, 5 more exams.

Just got an unofficial schedule for clinics... Ahhhh I'm so excited. Also, next summer is going to suuuuuuuuu7uuuuuck

My current life involves kind of wishing I had taken the summer off but at the same time the stuff I'm learning to do is pretty cool. Just wish I hadn't worked full days all this past week :sleep:

I got to see 2 interesting tumors on rads today. Suspected osteosarcoma and suspected metastasis from implanted bits of previously removed granulosa cell tumor (originally removed with good margins at tennis ball size 6 months ago... 33cmx13cm on lateral rad was the second mass today... In a bulldog.)

For those of you who have done or are currently doing the Banfield summer program, what was it like? What kind of things did they have you do? Is it a bunch of time shadowing/ working with a vet, or is it mostly teching for vaccine appointments?

For those of you who have done or are currently doing the Banfield summer program, what was it like? What kind of things did they have you do? Is it a bunch of time shadowing/ working with a vet, or is it mostly teching for vaccine appointments?
@cdoconn is currently going through it. I'm blanking on remembering if anyone on here did it last summer .

I basically teched the whole time,but the vets included me in discussing differentials/diagnostics. My supervisor sat down with me at the beginning and asked what my goals were and tried to incorporate them during the program.

@cdoconn is currently going through it. I'm blanking on remembering if anyone on here did it last summer .
I really like the program. It’s a lot of tech stuff, but the more I prove myself as capable, the more they’re letting me do (intubating pets, anesthesia monitoring, etc). I have two doctor mentors at my hospital- one walks me through everything she does and asks me relevant questions/ things she’s learned that I should know. The other isn’t as involved, but she still tries when she can.

It’s kind of what you make of it. I have a friend who kinda just shows up to work and then floats through the day, and she’s not enjoying her time. I’m super active and calculating drug dosages, giving sub Q fluids to hamsters, and doing a physical exam/ listening to heart and lungs on every single patient I see to make myself better at hearing and feeling things.

(And I’ve gotten 100x better handling and talking to clients, which was a huge weakness of mine)

Last edited:
And I’ve gotten 100x better handling and talking to clients, which was a huge weakness of mine)
How's your client restraint coming?

Reactions: 9 users
Glad you guys are doing cool stuff! I'm working in my school's necropsy lab this summer as an assistant necropsy technician/teaching specimen wrangler. I got to cut open a porcupine the other day :heckyeah:

Reactions: 7 users
Glad you guys are doing cool stuff! I'm working in my school's necropsy lab this summer as an assistant necropsy technician/teaching specimen wrangler. I got to cut open a porcupine the other day :heckyeah:
That's awesome! Necropsy jobs are the best :D

And I'm in emergency practice for the summer, seeing all the cool/weird things. I got to glove in on a procedure the other night!

Reactions: 2 users
My imposter syndrome is making it really difficult to finish putting together this talk I'm giving at a conference next week and not feel like it's going to go terribly.

Working on pathology stuff at another school this week and felt so, so very inadequate today. Like I was the slowest person in the world. And I'm exhausted. It's only Monday. Send help.

My imposter syndrome is making it really difficult to finish putting together this talk I'm giving at a conference next week and not feel like it's going to go terribly.

Working on pathology stuff at another school this week and felt so, so very inadequate today. Like I was the slowest person in the world. And I'm exhausted. It's only Monday. Send help.
I believe in you both! You guys are awesome and you can do this!

Please don't quote, might delete later.

Signed the divorce paperwork today (finally) and am really struggling with how much it's hitting me emotionally. I'm glad everything is taken care of, but man, I'm going to miss my friend so, so much. We were together 11 years. This is the right thing for us, but it hurts really bad right now knowing how much it hurt him too. :cryi:

I'm so sorry shorty, I just did the same thing so I understand completely. It was the right decision for both of you and you know it and he does too even if he can't see it. It sucks so bad, but it'll get better I promise. My PM box is always open.

Thanks, guys. Helps right now that I'm super busy (and that I know this was the right decision for us, even if it doesn't feel that way right NOW).

Giving my first talk in 3 days - holy crap - so that's been a good way to focus on something else.

**** guys, we were on page 2

First years talked about school starting in 23 days...feck. 25 days for us. Third year is going to be murderous.

We still have 3 weeks till orientation and 4 till actually classes.

We still have 3 weeks till orientation and 4 till actually classes.
Yeah actual classes for everyone start on Wednesday (the 22nd) here. But there's still stuff to do starting Monday. First years have two days of orientation, second years have communication training, some of us will be acting as simulated clients for that. I get to be a crazy cat lady, I'm excited.

I'm sad I won't get to be a facilitator for the orientation camp this year. It is so much fun, but it's a second year job. Should get to help out with our welcome day and white coat ceremony though.

Yeah actual classes for everyone start on Wednesday (the 22nd) here. But there's still stuff to do starting Monday. First years have two days of orientation, second years have communication training, some of us will be acting as simulated clients for that. I get to be a crazy cat lady, I'm excited.

I'm sad I won't get to be a facilitator for the orientation camp this year. It is so much fun, but it's a second year job. Should get to help out with our welcome day and white coat ceremony though.

Our orientation is a week long, with Monday being iVLE (Illinois veterinary leadership experience), Tuesday and wednesday getting final shenanigans taken care of (helping with school tours), and then Thursday and Friday being actual orientation. And Thursday is our little sib big sib bar crawl.