Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately no, because I can’t do combined residency programs. I thought about looking at UW’s comparative medicine program because one of the professors here did her residency there, but ultimately I decided to look at other locations.

I will be going to Michigan State, Raleigh-Durham area, and tentatively Davis and Wisconsin though, if anyone is in those areas!
I'm in the Michigan State area! You're looking at anatomical pathology residencies right?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the Michigan State area! You're looking at anatomical pathology residencies right?
I am! I’ve been to the area a few times already because my sister went there for undergrad. I’m also originally from Michigan. I’ve heard nothing but good things about their program so I’m super excited to be going!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately no, because I can’t do combined residency programs. I thought about looking at UW’s comparative medicine program because one of the professors here did her residency there, but ultimately I decided to look at other locations.

I will be going to Michigan State, Raleigh-Durham area, and tentatively Davis and Wisconsin though, if anyone is in those areas!
:hello:

Our clinical rotation choices/preferred dates are due next Thursday and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing... my #1 choice is set since I've already scheduled an externship with Humane Alliance, I've picked out my in-house electives (shelter med, exotics, and derm), and I want to get my food animal block out of the way in the summer since we've been told that's the less busy time. But beyond that, I don't really care when I have most of the rotations. :shrug: I've heard anesthesia and pathology are good ones to have before the NAVLE, anything else??

Our clinical rotation choices/preferred dates are due next Thursday and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing... my #1 choice is set since I've already scheduled an externship with Humane Alliance, I've picked out my in-house electives (shelter med, exotics, and derm), and I want to get my food animal block out of the way in the summer since we've been told that's the less busy time. But beyond that, I don't really care when I have most of the rotations. :shrug: I've heard anesthesia and pathology are good ones to have before the NAVLE, anything else??
Maybe community practice? Here you’re only there from 8-5, unless you have a random hospitalized patient (which is rare cause usually they’re transferred to a different service if they need more intensive treatment).

Man anesthesia would not be a good one for us if you wanted to review anything other than anesthesia...long ass days.

I have no suggestions but lol we haven't even begun to talk about rotation stuff yet. I'm trying to get applications in for my zoo/wildlife externships. I hope I actually get a couple. I'm going to be real sad if I get more than that because I'll have to turn them down. We only get 6 weeks for externships and anything outside of that has to come from our 4 weeks of vacation time :(

... I get 8 weeks vacation. But no externship blocks. So trade off?

Man anesthesia would not be a good one for us if you wanted to review anything other than anesthesia...long ass days.

I have no suggestions but lol we haven't even begun to talk about rotation stuff yet. I'm trying to get applications in for my zoo/wildlife externships. I hope I actually get a couple. I'm going to be real sad if I get more than that because I'll have to turn them down. We only get 6 weeks for externships and anything outside of that has to come from our 4 weeks of vacation time :(
Oh, yeah I didn't mean that would be a good one to have at the time you take the NAVLE, but I've been told it's good to have it out of the way before you take it so you have the opportunity to review that material. I'm pretty sure the school assigns us a date to take the NAVLE, so we don't really get to pick which rotation we're on when we take it.

Oh, yeah I didn't mean that would be a good one to have at the time you take the NAVLE, but I've been told it's good to have it out of the way before you take it so you have the opportunity to review that material. I'm pretty sure the school assigns us a date to take the NAVLE, so we don't really get to pick which rotation we're on when we take it.
Ohhhh gotcha, I thought you meant one right before you take it. That makes more sense.
Maybe internal med? Do you guys track? Because if not, if it were me I might try to get a farm animal rotation in beforehand as well.

... I get 8 weeks vacation. But no externship blocks. So trade off?
That sucks. :( We get maximum 5 weeks for externships (depending on how many in-house electives you decide to take, I'll probably end up with 4 weeks of externship time, 2 of which are already scheduled), and if I'm counting right 7 weeks of vacation.

I guess we sort of get externships?

We have 4 weeks of a preceptorship (rotation at a private practice the school has a relationship with) and then up to four weeks (two required) at another private practice we have to arrange ourselves. But we can’t do rotations at other schools without using our vacation weeks or other non private practice things from my understanding.

I’m going to see if I can petition to get a behavior rotation at another school approved since our behaviorist is doing a residency now so we no longer have one :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and we also can do shelter med twice, which is at a shelter in a bigger city and not here. I’m going to attempt to do that since Humane Alliance didn’t work with our rotation schedules. So if you do the max amount of rotation time off campus you’re allowed to without using breaks, you can do 12 weeks. They’re just things that are chosen by the school and not open to whatever you want.

Ohhhh gotcha, I thought you meant one right before you take it. That makes more sense.
Maybe internal med? Do you guys track? Because if not, if it were me I might try to get a farm animal rotation in beforehand as well.
No tracking, and yup hopefully I'll have my food animal rotations out of the way in the summer!

Our school is a dvlc model so pretty much everything is externships. And you can set up your own outside of the standard ones but it drops you down in priority for choosing everything else so it can be really hard to balance how bad you want an externship vs getting not your first pick for just about everything else

Reactions: 1 users
Our school is a dvlc model so pretty much everything is externships. And you can set up your own outside of the standard ones but it drops you down in priority for choosing everything else so it can be really hard to balance how bad you want an externship vs getting not your first pick for just about everything else
Also we're only allowed to pick up to 4 weeks of our own. Any more have to come out of vacation time.

Distributed Veterinary Learning Center lol. Basically 100 or so practices around our province/country where we can ship off our students to learn for 2-4 weeks at a time :laugh:
Ohhh gotcha, just never seen the acronym before

We get one external in small animal track. One.

I’m still grumpy about it.

We have 3 week blocks here;

We get 6 blocks of externships (7 if you take diagnostic imaging somewhere else), and 3 blocks of vacation.

It seems we have a pretty superior system out here for this.

We have 3 week blocks here;

We get 6 blocks of externships (7 if you take diagnostic imaging somewhere else), and 3 blocks of vacation.

It seems we have a pretty superior system out here for this.
Holy mackerel
I wouldn't be so mad about it if most zoo/wildlife externships didn't have 4 week minimums.

Would you be able to combine blocks tho and do three externships in four of your blocks:thinking:
I have a total of 10 weeks (6 externship, 4 vacation). I do have a couple on my list that allow two weeks, so I may try to go for two 4 week ones and one 2 week and just have no vacation because I hate myself just that much.

I have a total of 10 weeks (6 externship, 4 vacation). I do have a couple on my list that allow two weeks, so I may try to go for two 4 week ones and one 2 week and just have no vacation because I hate myself just that much.
I meant theoretically at MSU :laugh:
Since you were mad because they have three week blocks
But idk man I wouldn’t be able to give up all my vacation. I need time to see my family. Though we DO get 8 weeks here :cool:

I meant theoretically at MSU :laugh:
Since you were mad because they have three week blocks
But idk man I wouldn’t be able to give up all my vacation. I need time to see my family. Though we DO get 8 weeks here :cool:
Oh I'm mad because they have more total weeks to use for externships lol
My family can come see me if they want. Also I'm applying for a couple externships in that area so if I get one of them I'll be home for a month anyway.

Oh I'm mad because they have more total weeks to use for externships lol
My family can come see me if they want. Also I'm applying for a couple externships in that area so if I get one of them I'll be home for a month anyway.
OH
NEVER MIND THEN.
And yeah I have no idea where home will be by then so idk what would even be around home

Doesn't MSU start clinics spring of 3rd year? Explains why there's more time for externships and vacation
Oh that would make sense. In our new curriculum they get more since they'll start clinics in January instead of end of April.

We don’t get a vacation block in our new curriculum. I am seriously jealous of y’all. :confused:

Big normal radiographic anatomy quiz tomorrow. The equine distal limb can diaf.
DMPLO and DLPMO and other such nonsense breaks me

also you could easily switch out a radiograph of an equine carpus with a radiograph of a sock full of rocks and I would not know the difference

Reactions: 7 users
DMPLO and DLPMO and other such nonsense breaks me

also you could easily switch out a radiograph of an equine carpus with a radiograph of a sock full of rocks and I would not know the difference

Legit laughed out loud at this because I'm the same way.

We just finished up our first year orientation (I'm a student mentor so I go too!) and I feel like I need a full week to recover. It's always so fun though.

Trying to be better about planning out my meals this year so I eat better. There was way too much easy mac in my life last year.

Do we have a food thread somewhere? I think we do. Off to search...

Trying to be better about planning out my meals this year so I eat better. There was way too much easy mac in my life last year.

Do we have a food thread somewhere? I think we do. Off to search...
IDK about your school, but ours has a page where it's like a food exchange. So people will food prep one thing then people swap so they get a variety of food and aren't stuck eating the same thing 7 days in a row.

IDK about your school, but ours has a page where it's like a food exchange. So people will food prep one thing then people swap so they get a variety of food and aren't stuck eating the same thing 7 days in a row.
Omg that is such a great idea

First day of school! And I am already so over it

Reactions: 2 users
I've somehow figured it out after working with admin that I only have to be at the vet school for 6 mos of my 4th year. We track in the 4th year. I'm doing a non-traditional track. I need to fulfill a 4 week externship requirement (which I've already scheduled, but other than that, the time is mine. So 20 weeks or so to fill. Usually people have to fill that with electives in order to graduate on this track, but I am done with my electives except for 1 in the spring of 3rd year. So, hoping those weeks lead to many externships and some sort of job. Someone I know at Wisconsin has 30 weeks available though for 4th year, which is insane!

Reactions: 4 users
I've somehow figured it out after working with admin that I only have to be at the vet school for 6 mos of my 4th year. We track in the 4th year. I'm doing a non-traditional track. I need to fulfill a 4 week externship requirement (which I've already scheduled, but other than that, the time is mine. So 20 weeks or so to fill. Usually people have to fill that with electives in order to graduate on this track, but I am done with my electives except for 1 in the spring of 3rd year. So, hoping those weeks lead to many externships and some sort of job. Someone I know at Wisconsin has 30 weeks available though for 4th year, which is insane!
SO JEALOUS