Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely had several that didn't want to breathe for a bit after induction (thanks, propofol).

Also learned a couple months ago that pigeons don't like breathing under anesthesia, at all, ever.
give it slooowwerrr.

seriously. I think it was @LetItSnow who went off about this a while ago on the forums and I've started reigning myself back and giving it infinitesimally slowly and my apnea is basically noneexistant.

Birds I don't do much real anesthesia on and prefer heavy sedation for most things. Keeps'em breathing. :p

Members don't see this ad.

give it slooowwerrr.

seriously. I think it was @LetItSnow who went off about this a while ago on the forums and I've started reigning myself back and giving it infinitesimally slowly and my apnea is basically noneexistant.

Birds I don't do much real anesthesia on and prefer heavy sedation for most things. Keeps'em breathing. :p
Lol we just did what the anesthesiologists told us, it seemed pretty slow to me but what do I know :hilarious: they never seemed too concerned about a couple minutes of apnea as long as SpO2 and ETCO2 were still good.

Hrm yeah, that makes sense, I think at school they generally avoid general anesthesia in the birds for most things too. These pigeons were used for an avian anesthesia lab though, so the whole point was learning how to do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also learned a couple months ago that pigeons don't like breathing under anesthesia, at all, ever.

I do avian anesthesia v regularly and 99% of my patients don’t breathe on their own under anesthesia at all.

give it slooowwerrr.

I honestly can't say I've ever noticed an issue when in the wildlife clinic working with raptors or geese. We had a goose under for 3 hours last year for an injury debridement and he did great (except for the lethal would covering his back). Is bird anesthesia usually a crazy ride and I'm just oblivious?

Might be species and drug dependent...I know way back when I was an intern at an aviary, they had to bag a finch and an ibis for basically their entire surgeries. Of course I was just a bright eyed little prevet back then and have no memory of what anesthetic protocol they were using. That and the pigeons are really the extent of my hands on bird anesthesia experience though.

We did have one pigeon in that lab who was under for probably close to 3 hours and was perfect the entire time. Don't think we had to breathe for him at all.

Lol we just did what the anesthesiologists told us, it seemed pretty slow to me but what do I know :hilarious: they never seemed too concerned about a couple minutes of apnea as long as SpO2 and ETCO2 were still good.

Hrm yeah, that makes sense, I think at school they generally avoid general anesthesia in the birds for most things too. These pigeons were used for an avian anesthesia lab though, so the whole point was learning how to do that.
FWIW I don't remember our teaching pigeons being particularly apneic. Just gassed down though, since it was non-painful stuff.

I honestly can't say I've ever noticed an issue when in the wildlife clinic working with raptors or geese. We had a goose under for 3 hours last year for an injury debridement and he did great (except for the lethal would covering his back). Is bird anesthesia usually a crazy ride and I'm just oblivious?

I work with aquatics so I can't speak for raptors. From what I've heard, they are usually pretty hardy. I should have included geese when I mentioned ducks. So gulls and ducks/geese are super hardy too.

Pelicans are the WORST. Grebes are pretty bad, esp large grebes. Herons and egrets aren't awful but they won't breathe for themselves and they always barf when waking up, even when NPO'd for 12 hours, so there's that awesome aspiration risk (pelicans are the same way barf-wise too).
They just start crashing really quickly so the q5min monitoring doesn't work for avian anaesthesia (in my experience) because they could be awesome one minute with a strong, regular HR of 200+ and 45 seconds later be arrhythmic and 70 bpm (this has happened to me, it wasn't fun).

So it's literally just: count HR/breathe/count HR/breathe constantly for however long they're under

Reactions: 1 user
Pelicans are the WORST.

lol. We had a pelican come in last year on pager and the team stole it from the team next on the pager list (aka my team; not salty at all.....). Anyways, sounds like we dodged a bullet on that one!

Reactions: 1 users
lol. We had a pelican come in last year on pager and the team stole it from the team next on the pager list (aka my team; not salty at all.....). Anyways, sounds like we dodged a bullet on that one!

The. Worst.

*I'm dying!* *Now i'm waking up!* *I'm dying again!* *oops your endotracheal tube fell out!* *Hey! I'm dying again!* *Nope now I'm too low! So i'm kicking and waking up with a HR of 60!*

The. Worst.

*I'm dying!* *Now i'm waking up!* *I'm dying again!* *oops your endotracheal tube fell out!* *Hey! I'm dying again!* *Nope now I'm too low! So i'm kicking and waking up with a HR of 60!*

I will say that we did get a bald eagle instead since we were skipped on pager list. But thinking about it, geese are pretty bad*** when it comes to anesthesia.

I will say that we did get a bald eagle instead since we were skipped on pager list. But thinking about it, geese are pretty bad*** when it comes to anesthesia.

Oooooooh bald eagle :love: Between a bald eagle and a pelican... you won with the bald eagle (IMO) haha

Yeah geese are awesome. They get kind of goopy and sometimes mucous builds up and blocks their trach tubes and they have to be switch mid-procedure, but other than that they're awesome. Usually their HR is too fast to count so I'm just like *fast* *fast* *fast* and remember to breathe for them while having awesome conversations with the vet haha

give it slooowwerrr.

This. I give like 1/4 of the 4mg/kg dose then I wait....at least 20 seconds. Then give a bit more if not enough, then wait. .. at least 20 seconds. I rarely have apnea issues. Techs loved it compared to other vet who would slam in all of it, then animal wouldn't breathe for a few minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oooooooh bald eagle :love: Between a bald eagle and a pelican... you won with the bald eagle (IMO) haha

Yeah geese are awesome. They get kind of goopy and sometimes mucous builds up and blocks their trach tubes and they have to be switch mid-procedure, but other than that they're awesome. Usually their HR is too fast to count so I'm just like *fast* *fast* *fast* and remember to breathe for them while having awesome conversations with the vet haha
I had an albatross at my seabird rehab externship! I still think he was the absolutely coolest.

Reactions: 3 users
Update: it is now four days till finals and self preservation has finally kicked in. I also have acquired a cat study buddy. That's the real victory here.

Reactions: 6 users
Update: it is now four days till finals and self preservation has finally kicked in. I also have acquired a cat study buddy. That's the real victory here.
I have another final tomorrow and I am on lecture 4 out of 12...and have to review the old material too. Weeeeeee.

I have another final tomorrow and I am on lecture 4 out of 12...and have to review the old material too. Weeeeeee.
I haven’t watched 16 of the 21 lectures on my ortho test next week lol it’ll be fine. Totally fine :laugh:

This is the first week where I've felt like our program has gone from pushing us really hard to asking an amount of us that's unreasonable.

It's almost over, thank god.

I think I'm 6 classes down now, 3 to go next week. Can't be over fast enough!

My power cord chose today to die.
Excellent.

unrelated to your power cord, I just saw your clinics schedule in your signature and the wording of the vague three made me laugh:laugh:
Ive actually got to change it from what I've got there already. The one externship I tried setting up (Miami Animal Import Center) has been radio silent so far so that ain't happening just yet.

Everything else is so far out I don't want to worry about scheduling it at the moment.

One more. One. more. O.n.e. m.o.r.e.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 6 users
I can't send help I barely have my own motivation. The only thing keeping me going right now is I like birds and reptiles.
That sounds more fun. I'll trade you horses?

I was just reminded of how happy I will be to drop all my extracurriculars over the next couple months, except for my jobs (which will essentially end in April) and one of my positions that I'll get to keep through 4th year. No more club positions, y'all, it's gonna be great!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I went about 3 blissful weeks without a migraine and it was awesome. Now here I am wanting to die partly because my head hurts and partly because I cannot study like this
:( I'm so sorry, SAR. Hope your head feels better fast.

I went about 3 blissful weeks without a migraine and it was awesome. Now here I am wanting to die partly because my head hurts and partly because I cannot study like this
It must be migraine day, I have a horrible one that is making it hard to read and I have two finals tomorrow

hope your head feels better soon

3 finals down, and 1 to go.

For all the classes I'm done with now, I've missed the next higher grade in the class by a point. This is always happens to me and I'm beyond frustrated with it. But soon, no more tests!!!!

First exam in the bag... unfortunately I have no idea how it went! But I have gastro, so that may not bode well. 5 more.

But in better news, my independent research project for fourth year was approved today! I get to spend those 10 weeks at home with my husband and son, and I can't fricken wait!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm spending more time calculating what I need to get on these exams to get the grade I want than I am studying. Seems like a recipe for success.
It did not work out well for me

Also I needed to borrow my own therio mojo this morning and I think I must have misplaced it.

Oh well, one more

It did not work out well for me

Also I needed to borrow my own therio mojo this morning and I think I must have misplaced it.

Oh well, one more

Shoot, I'm sorry, did I forget to give it back to you after you so kindly let me borrow it??

3 down, two more to go tomorrow. First two went great, but today..... let's hope I got the 70 min we're required to pass a test lol

I have gone through all the review material for tomorrow, but only about half of the new material. Send help. My brain is fried and I just want to sleep and cry and eat brownies.

Reactions: 2 users
I did pretty well on the 3 finals that I've gotten grades back on so far, but as for that surgery final today... yikes. Not sure why they decided having a cumulative final in the class everyone is struggling in was a good idea, but rumor has it they're going to curve the class, so hopefully that will turn out okay for everybody.

And if anyone finds that therio mojo I could use it for tomorrow, I've been through about a quarter of the material for that final so far. :laugh: :help:

I did pretty well on the 3 finals that I've gotten grades back on so far, but as for that surgery final today... yikes. Not sure why they decided having a cumulative final in the class everyone is struggling in was a good idea, but rumor has it they're going to curve the class, so hopefully that will turn out okay for everybody.

And if anyone finds that therio mojo I could use it for tomorrow, I've been through about a quarter of the material for that final so far. :laugh: :help:

You can borrow some of mine, I need it back by next Thursday, 830 am MST tho, k?

We're done with therio and I weirdly did well in it, so I'm happy to give my therio mojo to whomever would like it. I don't see myself needing therio ever again in my career, so... just take good care of it.

My independent fourth year research project also got approved! I get to hang out in the path lab for 10 weeks :love: