Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IT'S DONE
THE SEMESTER FROM THE DEPTHS OF HELL IS DONE
I'M GOING TO SLEEP FOR THREE WEEKS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
only needed a 36% to keep my A in the course. #yolo

I wish this could be my life. I fight for every damn B on my transcript.

Idk if there is a difference in grading scales etc between American and Canadian schools or if I'm just dumb because I hear about a lot of A's from you all to the South and I'm up here like I would literally cut someone to get an A in a course weighted more than 0.75 of a credit

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Idk if there is a difference in grading scales etc between American and Canadian schools or if I'm just dumb because I hear about a lot of A's from you all to the South and I'm up here like I would literally cut someone to get an A in a course weighted more than 0.75 of a credit
(not a like like, but a sympathy like... I'm right there with you!)

Reactions: 1 user
No more classes, no more books, on to clinician's dirty looks!

Reactions: 13 users

You're not alone, I've made mostly B's in our core classes (electives tend to be easy A's). For me the amount of studying it would take to go from B's to A's would mean sacrificing my mental health, and I don't plan on specializing, sooo I'm content with being middle of the road (I have no idea what my actual class rank is, but I know some of my classmates do tend to make mostly A's). It really depends on the school and the person, on the other hand I have friends who study really hard and consistently make C's.

Reactions: 5 users
You're not alone, I've made mostly B's in our core classes (electives tend to be easy A's). For me the amount of studying it would take to go from B's to A's would mean sacrificing my mental health, and I don't plan on specializing, sooo I'm content with being middle of the road (I have no idea what my actual class rank is, but I know some of my classmates do tend to make mostly A's). It really depends on the school and the person, on the other hand I have friends who study really hard and consistently make C's.
I'm fairly certain my only As this semester will be in my three electives (total of 4 credits). With the cores I have a habit of getting As in the 1-2 credit courses and Bs in the 3-4 credit ones. Since I do want to specialize that is...less than ideal. But alas.

They do aim for the average on every exam to be about an 80.

I'm fairly certain my only As this semester will be in my three electives (total of 4 credits). With the cores I have a habit of getting As in the 1-2 credit courses and Bs in the 3-4 credit ones. Since I do want to specialize that is...less than ideal. But alas.

They do aim for the average on every exam to be about an 80.
SAR and I are classmates. 80 is a B+ at our school.

Interesting. That’s a B- here, although we do mainly straight grading after first year (no more +/-) so that turns into a B.

Yeah our B- is a 70-74 (also a classmate of SAR/Squeaksmom lol). Here's our grading scheme:
Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 8.38.30 AM.png

I feel like our grading scheme is weighted down quite a bit, both in how it's set up and how they write exams, so definitely makes it challenging if you want to pursue a residency afterwards.

Last edited:
Yeah our B- is a 70-74 (also a classmate of SAR/Squeaksmom lol). Here's our grading scheme:
View attachment 244353

I feel like our grading scheme is weighted down quite a bit, both in how it's set up and how they write exams, so definitely makes it challenging if you want to pursue a residency afterwards.
MSU is a bit rough...
percentage grade course grade
92.0-100% = 4.0
88.0-91.99% = 3.5
84.0-87.99% = 3.0
80.0-83.99% = 2.5
76.0-79.99% = 2.0
72.0-75.99% = 1.5
68.0-71.99% = 1.0
below 68.0% = 0.0

View attachment 244353

I'm curious overall do you feel getting a C is pretty manageable since normally a "standard C" is 70%?

And to be clear, I wasn't trying to say it was easier or harder, I just have no idea how it compares to other schools :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious overall do you feel getting a C is pretty manageable since normally a "standard C" is 70%?

Depends on the course. I have a couple of Cs that I had to fight tooth and nail for. We also have quite a few classes where you have to individually pass every exam to pass the course and if you fail one and rewrite (even if it was only worth 10%) the best grade you can get is a C-. Most of our written exams have averages in the mid to high 70s. Though there have been numerous times when the majority of our class is in the 60s and a few exams come to mind where the majority of the class scraped a pass barely (P Skills, anyone?)

I find our program very challenging for me, personally. I had a 3.8/4 gpa coming into vet school that I never had to work for. Now I put in more work than I could imagine and scrape just over a 3.0 for the most part. It is typically very difficult to get an A for many people in most classes unless you are one of the top people in our classes

I feel like our grading scheme is weighted down quite a bit, both in how it's set up and how they write exams

The exam part is very true. We have a lot of classes where if the average is high 60s, the profs are happy. Many write fair clinical tests, but there are also a lot who write tests that feel designed to make an A unachievable and they will basically tell you that up front

The exam part is very true. We have a lot of classes where if the average is high 60s, the profs are happy. Many write fair clinical tests, but there are also a lot who write tests that feel designed to make an A unachievable and they will basically tell you that up front
"Well maybe if you came up with something completely novel that even I hadn't thought about I'd consider giving you an A..."
- Dr. JS

Reactions: 4 users
Depends on the course. I have a couple of Cs that I had to fight tooth and nail for. We also have quite a few classes where you have to individually pass every exam to pass the course and if you fail one and rewrite (even if it was only worth 10%) the best grade you can get is a C-
That’s how it is here in most classes third year and it sucks. So far I think everyone has managed to scrape by, though I know a few have been close.

Our scale is pretty standard I think (it's close to what it was at my undergrad anyway) but yeah I would look more at the averages on the exams/in the classes to say whether it's "easier" or "harder". That's what I do to figure out which classes are harder here anyway. Like our average for respiratory was an 85, for cardio an 81, radiology a 79. Doesn't feel like much of a spread, but when you also know that people study their asses off for cario and radiology, it puts it into perspective.

90+ A 4.0
88-89 B+ 3.5
80-87 B 3.0
78-79 C+ 2.5
70-77 C 2.0
60-69 D 1.0
<60 F 0.0

And it is definitely never a thing here that professors would try to make an A unachievable. In most classes there's a typical bell curve.

Last edited:
MSU is a bit rough...
92.0-100% = 4.0
88.0-91.99% = 3.5
84.0-87.99% = 3.0
80.0-83.99% = 2.5
76.0-79.99% = 2.0
72.0-75.99% = 1.5
68.0-71.99% = 1.0
below 68.0% = 0.0
I would have no As haha
That's why programs look at class rank and GPA I suppose

Our scale is pretty standard I think (it's close to what it was at my undergrad anyway) but yeah I would look more at the averages on the exams/in the classes to say whether it's "easier" or "harder". That's what I do to figure out which classes are harder here anyway. Like our average for respiratory was an 85, for cardio an 81, radiology a 79. Doesn't feel like much of a spread, but when you also know that people study their asses off for cario and radiology, it puts it into perspective.

A 4.0
87-89 B+ 3.5
80-86 B 3.0
77-79 C+ 2.5
70-76 C 2.0
67-69 D+ 1.5
60-66 D 1.0
<60 F 0.0

And it is definitely never a thing here that professors would try to make an A unachievable. In most classes there's a typical bell curve.
You don't have minuses?

A 4.0
87-89 B+ 3.5
80-86 B 3.0
77-79 C+ 2.5
70-76 C 2.0
67-69 D+ 1.5
60-66 D 1.0
<60 F 0.0

Woah, I didn’t know places did GPAs by o.5!

My undergrad was weird and did things by 0.1 increments. An A- was a 3.7 to 3.5. This explains why VMCAS didn’t believe me when I said my 3.5s were an A- and wouldn’t convert them to a 3.7 when they calculated by GPA haha

Woah, I didn’t know places did GPAs by o.5!

My undergrad was weird and did things by 0.1 increments. An A- was a 3.7 to 3.5. This explains why VMCAS didn’t believe me when I said my 3.5s were an A- and wouldn’t convert them to a 3.7 when they calculated by GPA haha
I think my undergrad had a slightly different scale if I remember correctly. So a B was a 3.0, B+ was 3.3, A- was 3.7

Interesting to have a range for it lol

I didn’t have minuses or pluses at my school either, just the A,B,C. They calculated class rank on the actual percent you earned.

One semester even though I had a marginally better GPA than my best friend, her class rank was several points higher. We had pretty similar grades overall but I had credit for one more elective than she did. But her rank was higher because in the core classes we’d both gotten Bs in, her Bs were 88-89 and my Bs were 81-82ish.

I think my undergrad had a slightly different scale if I remember correctly. So a B was a 3.0, B+ was 3.3, A- was 3.7

Interesting to have a range for it lol
For us a 4.0 was a 99-100, 3.9 98-96, etc. so you could have an A grade and be from a 4-3.5, B 3.4-2.8, Cs 2.7-2.0.

My undergrad was really competitive so I think they did by o.1 because it was better for separating grades out.

For us a 4.0 was a 99-100, 3.9 98-96, etc. so you could have an A grade and be from a 4-3.5, B 3.4-2.8, Cs 2.7-2.0.

My undergrad was really competitive so I think they did by o.1 because it was better for separating grades out.
Ohhhhh gotcha

MSU is a bit rough...
92.0-100% = 4.0
88.0-91.99% = 3.5
84.0-87.99% = 3.0
80.0-83.99% = 2.5
76.0-79.99% = 2.0
72.0-75.99% = 1.5
68.0-71.99% = 1.0
below 68.0% = 0.0
I live at the 91% line, so it kills me.

Reactions: 3 users
My undergrad was all straight up A, B, C, etc.... no plus/minus

If you got a 91 that was an "A" and thus a 4.0
However, if you got an 89.7 (which I did many times) that was a B and a 3.0. No B+ to get a 3.7 or 3.5, if there had been my GPA would have been MUCH better. I sat around an 87-89 for most of the B's that I did receive but since we didn't get +/- I always received a 3.0 GPA for those grades.

For Cornell, our grading scale is pretty similar to most undergrad institutions.
A+ = 96+ = 4.3
A = 93 - 96 = 4.0
A- = 90 - 93 = 3.7
B+ = 86 - 90 = 3.3
B = 83 - 86 = 3.0
B- = 80 - 83 = 2.7
C+ = 76 - 80 = 2.3
C = 73 - 76 = 2.0
C- = 70 - 73 = 1.7
D+ = 66 - 70 = 1.3
D = 63 - 66 = 1.0
D- = 60 - 63 = 0.7
F = under 60 = 0

All the weird variety here kinda proves that grades are a little bit bunk anyway. But mine weren’t great so maybe I’m biased!
I agree! I think it's interesting. Just highlights how subjective these "objective" measures can be.

Reactions: 5 users
All the weird variety here kinda proves that grades are a little bit bunk anyway. But mine weren’t great so maybe I’m biased!
As a solid B student hoping to specialize, I'm right there with you....

I agree! I think it's interesting. Just highlights how subjective these "objective" measures can be.

Makes me wonder how schools compare between people when making selections for residencies, etc :laugh: Canadian schools don't really do class ranks unless specifically requested, so everything is on a GPA basis up here! Guess it's all in your interview and who you know haha

Here we don't do plus/minuses, it's generally 90-100 = A, 80-89 = B, 70-79 = C, 60-69 = D, 59 and below = F. Some professors will curve things if we're all struggling (like medicine and surgery this semester each got about a 5% curve), but those are exceptions. Generally I think our grading is pretty fair, most test averages are in the B/C range and the most people we've had fail a class was 3 first semester of first year. I do wish more professors would give some opportunity for people in the high D range to allow them to bring it up to a C, I know they have to have a cutoff somewhere, but holding someone back a year when they were only a point or two away from passing is pretty ****ty.

We have +/- (but not A+). All of the test averages are in the C range and we lost ~12% of our class first year and a couple during 2nd year. Now in 3rd year, several folks are still barely passing, but if you get a D in a class, you are allowed to remediate as long as you are not on academic probation. They lose people every year during 3rd year though. :( I want everyone in my class to make it! I know we all work hard. I feel bad for folks who want to specialize since it seems like overall GPAs are kinda low.

Makes me wonder how schools compare between people when making selections for residencies, etc :laugh: Canadian schools don't really do class ranks unless specifically requested, so everything is on a GPA basis up here! Guess it's all in your interview and who you know haha
Generally class rank does factor in to some extent. Your letters of recommendation are a huge part of it though, and just having people who are willing to vouch for you and say you're great to work with and all that.

Can't say for sure that it's the same in the great white north, but I imagine it is similar ;)

For Purdue it depends on the class. Some are +/- then some are 80-89.9 B, etc. I think anything below a C is not passing and you are dismissed if you fail more than 2 classes a semester. You can remediate if you fail one. I am personally all for +/-. I'm consistently the person in the 86-92 range for classes and I don't think it's right for me to get the same GPA value when I have an 89.9 and the person besides me has an 80. It is what it is though. I also want to specialize in lab animal. Didn't do so well first semester (just finished 1st semester of second year) because I didn't preare for the 9 exams we had during finals. However, I have been able to increase every semester and now sitting at a 3.45/3.46. Still needs to increase but still have some hope that it's not all about grades.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I'm over here with my gpa steadily dropping over time...I should have expected this, it's exactly what happened in undergrad :laugh:

I'm hoping the GPA isn't everything statement is true for residencies!

I'm hoping the GPA isn't everything statement is true for residencies!
It really isn't everything. The amount it factors in depends on the specialty and the program though. Some will take it into consideration a bit more, especially if their board exam is particularly difficult, because they want to know that their residents are going to pass boards.

I wish there was data on average stats and such for residents in each specialty, but I don't think that exists. I don't think the individual programs even publish GPA cutoffs or anything like that in most cases. Probably your best bet is talking to people who are in that specialty.

Reactions: 4 users
We don’t even have GPAs here and students have no problem matching. So GPA definitely isn’t everything :p

we mostly looked at class rank because the grading is so different at the various schools.

Class rank confuses me too. Like we have 33 people in my class. If I'm 25/33 (which is approx where I am - had to request it for a scholarship last year) does that make me a better or worse applicant compared to someone who was 50/200?

What I have learned from this thread is that there is no consistency and I'm glad I don't go to American schools based on where my numerical grades sit - unless our profs just like to watch us suffer :laugh:

Class rank confuses me too. Like we have 33 people in my class. If I'm 25/33 (which is approx where I am - had to request it for a scholarship last year) does that make me a better or worse applicant compared to someone who was 50/200?

What I have learned from this thread is that there is no consistency and I'm glad I don't go to American schools based on where my numerical grades sit - unless our profs just like to watch us suffer :laugh:
At least for me its more of a where you fall with the classmates. So like top 50% vs bottom 10% or what have you. Also holy crap you have a tiny class!

With class rank it's typically based more on the percentage than your actual number.
It still can be a little weird though because at some schools there is very little spread in the ranks. Like, #1 and #30 are separated by 0.1 in gpa.

It isn't. At least for this program, there was a minimum GPA cutoff and then we mostly looked at class rank because the grading is so different at the various schools.

Thank you! That makes sense since it's so variable. Where do you recommend to be in terms of class rank for lab animal?