Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it good so far? I mostly read/listen to non-fiction nowadays but have the hardest time getting good suggestions. That sounds super up my alley.

I'm really enjoying it so far! I'm not very far into it yet - the outbreak just started - but the writing style is keeping me engaged.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
pretend they are attached to zebras, przewalskis', or rhinos?
Hmmm...i might go down a rabbit hole here on whether those species get some of this stuff. i have a feeling they don't and it's all stupid stuff that happens in domestic horses because of humans. but maybe...

Reactions: 1 users
I need signature help! How do I do strikethrough?

Pathology is done, and I pretty much killed it on this rotation :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
I pretty much killed it on this rotation :laugh:
I see what you did there

To do strike-through, highlight the text and hit the + icon on the upper bar of the post box - it's between the film strip and the floppy disk - and select strike-through.

Alternatively do [ S] and [ /S] around the text (with spaces removed)

I see what you did there

To do strike-through, highlight the text and hit the + icon on the upper bar of the post box - it's between the film strip and the floppy disk - and select strike-through.

Alternatively do [ S] and [ /S] around the text (with spaces removed)
interesting! I don't get that + icon on my signature editor. Maybe that's one of the perks of being a donator

oh interesting. odd perk lol
I get it here in the comment box, but it's missing there.
but the sarcasm font thing worked perfectly!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Saving this from the bottom of the page.

Also Instagram closed the cats' account for "violating the terms of service," I don't know how that happened but I'm trying to get it reversed.

Also I'm learning that vet school erased my ability to meaningfully structure my time when I don't have class from 8-5, aka I feel like this PhD is kicking my butt. But I keep reminding myself that I felt this way at the start of vet school too, and it's only the end of the 2nd day, so it's gonna get better once I've gotten in the swing of things.

Saving this from the bottom of the page.

Also Instagram closed the cats' account for "violating the terms of service," I don't know how that happened but I'm trying to get it reversed.

Also I'm learning that vet school erased my ability to meaningfully structure my time when I don't have class from 8-5, aka I feel like this PhD is kicking my butt. But I keep reminding myself that I felt this way at the start of vet school too, and it's only the end of the 2nd day, so it's gonna get better once I've gotten in the swing of things.
Y0u've got this! Hope things are improving for you.

Y0u've got this! Hope things are improving for you.

My thesis came into a cohesive story in my head today, so that's an improvement because now at least I'm excited to get going on that! I know it's not going to actually go that way because research never goes according to plan, but at least there IS a plan.

Good luck with your studying!!

I can't focus for ****.
Me neither, I've only been getting through about one lecture a night lately, and staying up way too late for no reason. And yet I'm somehow less behind than I usually am?? I have 5 more lectures to get through for my exam Friday, so that's manageable.

Lucky! Half of my close friends I have one rotation with and the other half I have none :(

Because we're a DVLC, a lot of times we are totally by ourselves on rotations haha. Sometimes you might get one other classmate or a few more depending on the rotation.

So basically, Nessie had to try real hard to stalk me this much ;)

Kiddinggggg

Because we're a DVLC, a lot of times we are totally by ourselves on rotations haha. Sometimes you might get one other classmate or a few more depending on the rotation.

Kiddinggggg
Which makes it even crazier because other than my 8 weeks of externships I'm at the hospital on rotations with my classmates all year lol

Kiddinggggg

R00d.

Got mine too :D

Kiddinggggg
What is DVLC?

What is DVLC?

Distributed Veterinary Learning Community. Aka we don't have a teaching hospital - our 4th year is spent all across the province in practices from rural to equine to food animal to small animal and exotics. And everything in between. That's why my clinics list probably looks a little odd to anyone with a hospital at their school haha

Distributed Veterinary Learning Community. Aka we don't have a teaching hospital - our 4th year is spent all across the province in practices from rural to equine to food animal to small animal and exotics. And everything in between. That's why my clinics list probably looks a little odd to anyone with a hospital at their school haha

Definitely read this as "Disturbed Veterinary Learning Community"

Ok so actually focusing and studying and stuff has, surprise surprise, led to better grades so far this semester. But also I don't want to.
So you mean I should probably actually study for therio and Ag2 . . .

So you mean I should probably actually study for therio and Ag2 . . .
I guess, maybe. Actually getting through all the material at least once seems to work better than getting through half of it and winging the rest. Who knew.

Kiddinggggg
Other than the big group ones (path, DI, pharm) I have a friend for literally two rotations.

We're somewhere right on the edge of the line between round 1 and round 2 of midterms...I'm having to make up an exam so will be the first midterm for one class and the second for another on Monday. And the apathy finally is kicking in. Weird for me in a spring semester because usually I start off in a slump of no cares and have to yank myself up as the semester goes on. Nice to start with a bit of a cushion, I was just kind of hoping it wouldn't catch up with me. At least apathy this time means getting through the material at least once, even if it's not in great detail.

I have way too much to do even outside of studying for these two exams.

We're somewhere right on the edge of the line between round 1 and round 2 of midterms...I'm having to make up an exam so will be the first midterm for one class and the second for another on Monday. And the apathy finally is kicking in. Weird for me in a spring semester because usually I start off in a slump of no cares and have to yank myself up as the semester goes on. Nice to start with a bit of a cushion, I was just kind of hoping it wouldn't catch up with me. At least apathy this time means getting through the material at least once, even if it's not in great detail.

I have way too much to do even outside of studying for these two exams.
You're so close! You can do it!!! Spring will always and forever suck.

Reactions: 2 users
You're so close! You can do it!!! Spring will always and forever suck.
Consistently my worst semester every year but I think fall was such a ****show this time my brain decided it needed to redeem itself at least for a little while haha

Currently drowning under all my responsibilities, but might get to present at two different conferences in the fall so that's exciting

That’s really exciting! Congrats!

My orange cat is currently in my basement yowling at where my boiler used to be because it died and is being replaced tomorrow and she apparently DOES NOT APPROVE.

Reactions: 3 users
School doesn't feel real right now. Like nothing exists outside of all my non-school things. And then I'm like "Oh wait, I have an exam this week and I missed at least a quarter of the lectures for it, I guess I should study too."

It hit me yesterday that I completely forgot that the USDA modules were a thing, so, I should probably work on those too. Less than two months left to get them done and there are so so many.

Reactions: 2 users
Clinician whose research I might present later: "Have you ever written an abstract?"
Me, sure that I have but can't remember when: "Well, I think so, once, but it was a really long time ago..."

-insert panic about inadequacy for several days-

And then yesterday I remembered I wrote an abstract that I submitted for my presentation for our school Research Day in October, so yeah, definitely have done it, definitely wasn't that long ago, definitely have at least half an idea of what I'm doing. Like, is the imposter syndrome so strong that it makes me forget things I've actually done just to trick me into thinking I'm not worthy??

Reactions: 4 users
It hit me yesterday that I completely forgot that the USDA modules were a thing, so, I should probably work on those too. Less than two months left to get them done and there are so so many.

Bro. Yes. I feel this.

Like, is the imposter syndrome so strong that it makes me forget things I've actually done just to trick me into thinking I'm not worthy??

Bro. Yes. I feel this also.

I may or may not have done most of mine in a two day time period during spring break last year... :whistle:

Our swine unit in AgMed is all online here and self paced. It’s due Friday and I’ve done... 1/7 modules. Have about 10 hours of lecture, six quizzes and a final to do in the next five days :laugh: why do I hate myself

I may or may not have done most of mine in a two day time period during spring break last year... :whistle:

Our swine unit in AgMed is all online here and self paced. It’s due Friday and I’ve done... 1/7 modules. Have about 10 hours of lecture, six quizzes and a final to do in the next five days :laugh: why do I hate myself
I'm probably going to end up doing that. I can just feel it. Too much other stuff to worry about lol

I also did my entire Fear Free certification in the space of a few hours last year so I don't know why I ever expect myself to change

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm probably going to end up doing that. I can just feel it. Too much other stuff to worry about lol

I also did my entire Fear Free certification in the space of a few hours last year so I don't know why I ever expect myself to change

Yep, same.

Side note -- we (currently) aren't required to get Fear Free certified as part of our curriculum but I have been throwing around pursuing this independently. What was the time commitment like, etc? Am I correct in understanding that it is free for students?

Yep, same.

Side note -- we (currently) aren't required to get Fear Free certified as part of our curriculum but I have been throwing around pursuing this independently. What was the time commitment like, etc? Am I correct in understanding that it is free for students?
Yeah it's free for students and well...I did it in one night haha but I think a few hours? It's really not bad.

Yeah it's free for students and well...I did it in one night haha but I think a few hours? It's really not bad.

Fabulous. Maybe I'll add that to my growing* list of spring break projects. :p

*overly optimistic?

Yep, same.

definitely recommend doing it while you're a student. Came in handy for me as my practice is working towards fear free certification and I already had it. If you read the transcripts rather than just listen to the videos, you can reduce the amount of time it takes

also, if you get access free while you are a student, you can still work on it after you graduate. I think I finished mine a couple months after graduating but had started on it a couple months prior to graduation