Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow! That's so amazing!!! I'm going in to vet school with a boyfriend of 3 1/2 years, but he found a great job in a different state so we're going to do long distance for vet school. It stinks because we've lived together for the past 2 years but I freaking love this guy :) we're just gonna have to make it work! It's awesome to hear success stories like yours though to keep the faith alive :)

I know a number of people who did long distance for 3-4 years for grad school that are still happily together 10 or so years later. Plenty of success stories out there!

I’m in a similar boat. I freaking love my bf. We’ve lived together for almost a year now. He’s my best friend and it’s really hard to not imagine coming home to him every day for the next 4 years. Plus I’d be taking the cats and he’d be catless :(

He’s my first ever bf and I have no doubt that we can do LD because we communicate really well with one another. But it’s just gunna suck major donkey balls.

Clearly he needs to adopt two more cats to cope with your absence :p

Or, more practically, he could foster some kitties for four years. All the love and companionship, but no need to combine two households worth of cats 4 years from now...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I know a number of people who did long distance for 3-4 years for grad school that are still happily together 10 or so years later. Plenty of success stories out there!

Clearly he needs to adopt two more cats to cope with your absence :p

Or, more practically, he could foster some kitties for four years. All the love and companionship, but no need to combine two households worth of cats 4 years from now...

@johnnaboo and her bf in 4 years:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@johnnaboo and her bf in 4 years:

Zero percent chance of that happening. He’s afraid that I’ll become an animal hoarder. He thinks even 3 cats is too much.

Good news is that my OG cat Flora is like the single best cat I’ve ever had. She’s a dog in a cats body. She loves people and belly rubs. And her sister that we got in October is a weirdo spaz but they’re buddies now. But essentially Flora has made me a cat snob. I have very high cat standards now. Or at least that’s what I tell myself so I don’t fall in love with more cats and anger the bf...

But essentially Flora is a love bug who demands cuddles all the time and Leela (her newish sister) is a lovable spaz who is my bf’s baby. We could split them up but I feel like they’re buds now and we shouldn’t.

Reactions: 2 users
Zero percent chance of that happening. He’s afraid that I’ll become an animal hoarder. He thinks even 3 cats is too much.

That's what he says now. Next thing you know you're fostering some sick kitten as a vet and BAM! Three cats.

As Anna Akana would say:

"How many cats is too many cats? .......There's no such number."

Reactions: 4 users
One of my classmates has 5 cats and I told her she is who I aspire to be one day :laugh:

One of my classmates has 5 cats and I told her she is who I aspire to be one day :laugh:

People used to dump cats on our property all the time when I was growing up. We only ever purposefully acquired a cat once to my memory, but the most we ever had was 10. :whistle:

Also in the LDR experience boat. Hubz and I spent most of the first 4 years of our relationship long distance, had a nice year when we were in the same place, and then another year of long distance when I started vet school. Happy to offer advice and commiseration :)

If you ever need someone to talk to about moving long distance for school with cats or about being far away from family, feel free to hit me up. If you were to drive yourself and your stuff over to school I believe the distance would be similar to my own biannual drive between TX and CO.

I'm unfortunately not super helpful for the long distance relationship side of things, but there are definitely other people on here with more insight into that who I'm sure would love to lend you an ear.
I’m about to be in the same exact boat you were. Moving from Houston to Fort Collins in 2 months :oops:

You are the goddess of long distance (and moving)!!!
And congratulations of having your relationship survive the long distance!!!
giphy.gif
ps I love how @Miranda Senft has a gif for EVERYTHING :lol:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking to purchase a new voice recorder for vet school. Any suggestions from anybody and how much GB should I purchase?

I'm looking to purchase a new voice recorder for vet school. Any suggestions from anybody and how much GB should I purchase?
If your school doesn't have lectures recorded, definitely check with your professors before recording them on your own! Here we have the occasional professor who doesn't make their lecture recordings available on Canvas, some are fine with people recording them for their own use and just don't want people relying on the recordings and skipping class, but some don't want recordings of their lectures out there at all.

Guys, it's been a roller coaster. I've never left NYS for school. I'm SO EXCITED and SO NERVOUS at the same time!

BUT I'M GUNNA BE A VET :soexcited:

Reactions: 13 users
Also, I FEEL THE SAME IVE NEVER BEEN MORE THAN HALF AN HOUR FROM HOME FOR SCHOOL. This will be an adventure.
Cornell is only 3 hours away from home for me. I feel you chica. I'm gunna be venting to you alooooooot. And I of course expect you to do the same :p

Guys, it's been a roller coaster. I've never left NYS for school. I'm SO EXCITED and SO NERVOUS at the same time!

BUT I'M GUNNA BE A VET :soexcited:
As a fellow NYer, I left for Massachusetts for undergrad and it was the best decision ever because it was the perfect undergrad for me :) Wisconsin may be the same for you!!! :biglove:

K, so how do I move all my stuff and furniture 13 hrs away if I have 2 cats and a car?
Probably in order of cheapest to most expensive (also in order of biggest to least pain in the....)

1.Uhaul and tow your car
2. PODS (or similar) - you pack in containers and a moving company ships them to your destination
3. You pay a moving company to move everything

There is a thread about this somewhere... too lazy to find it. I think it was called Cross country moving

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

K, so how do I move all my stuff and furniture 13 hrs away if I have 2 cats and a car?
Is your family coming to visit you for orientation or shortly after? What I’m doing is loading up my stuff in a U haul and towing my car to Colorado. And then my mom is flying down with my cat a week later for the coating ceremony. My cat gets super car sick so it would be torture for him to be in a car for 2 days. I know most airlines only allow one pet per passenger but if you have two people that can visit you, it could work.

I think it’s also easier this way not dealing with finding hotels that will allow a cat and the stress of a litter box in the car for the drive... not sure how that would work.

35B596B2-0EF0-40A8-A072-CE8458DFEF6C.jpeg Ps just for funsies here is my kitty. He is 12 years old and his name is Marley but we mostly call him Mister Marmar lol

I think it’s also easier this way not dealing with finding hotels that will allow a cat and the stress of a litter box in the car for the drive... not sure how that would work.

I always just stay at Motel 6... They allow two pets per room, don't charge any extra fees for pets, and have locations everrrrywhere.

Is your family coming to visit you for orientation or shortly after? What I’m doing is loading up my stuff in a U haul and towing my car to Colorado. And then my mom is flying down with my cat a week later for the coating ceremony. My cat gets super car sick so it would be torture for him to be in a car for 2 days. I know most airlines only allow one pet per passenger but if you have two people that can visit you, it could work.

I don't really know about if my family is coming right now. Haven't gotten that far in planning. Plan right now is to get a large cat "condo" to put the cats in the car with me.

What's everyone's feelings on living alone/getting a roommate?

I'm a social introvert, meaning I need alone time but I also tend to go stir crazy if I'm alone for too long. My worry is that since I have cats, I'll go home to feed them at normal times and then just be a hermit at home and never do anything. On the other hand, I had a teeeeeerrible experience freshman year living in a double. Although this would be entirely different since we'd have our own bedrooms, but still. I like to keep things pretty clean which is hard to find in a roommate.