Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't really know about if my family is coming right now. Haven't gotten that far in planning. Plan right now is to get a large cat "condo" to put the cats in the car with me.
@WildZoo has a lovely car thing that I believe is linked in the cross country moving thread. Fits her two kitties and the matching litter box
(Also my sister apparently has the same one)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What's everyone's feelings on living alone/getting a roommate?

I'm a social introvert, meaning I need alone time but I also tend to go stir crazy if I'm alone for too long. My worry is that since I have cats, I'll go home to feed them at normal times and then just be a hermit at home and never do anything. On the other hand, I had a teeeeeerrible experience freshman year living in a double. Although this would be entirely different since we'd have our own bedrooms, but still. I like to keep things pretty clean which is hard to find in a roommate.
Oh right, and there's also the cost thing. Kinda important to me.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a social introvert, meaning I need alone time but I also tend to go stir crazy if I'm alone for too long. My worry is that since I have cats, I'll go home to feed them at normal times and then just be a hermit at home and never do anything. On the other hand, I had a teeeeeerrible experience freshman year living in a double. Although this would be entirely different since we'd have our own bedrooms, but still. I like to keep things pretty clean which is hard to find in a roommate.
I am also this and am planning on living alone because I don’t want to have to deal with other people creating Dish Mountain in the sink, not changing the paper towel roll, not changing the toilet paper roll or leaving two squares on it so they don’t have to change it, slipping food on the counter and not cleaning it up, leaving food that needs to be in the fridge out, etc. I had roomies one year and some of these things happened then and also my dad, brother, and sister are the biggest offenders and I’ve had to deal with that for years. So I personally am going to be living alone.

Also, automatic cat feeder. ;) Then you don’t HAVE to go home and get stuck in the hermit house

I’m about to sign a lease for a one bedroom apartment that my boyfriend and I will be moving into together. But honestly even if I were single I still wouldn’t have a roommate. I have had awful, awful roommates in the past. I mean like, one kicked in my door and threatened to kill me and our other roommates and people have called the cops on her multiple times when she was in our apartment. Anyways I’m scarred permanently and paranoid I’d get another one like her. I know it is cheaper but I could never, ever live with a roommate again.

I’m about to sign a lease for a one bedroom apartment that my boyfriend and I will be moving into together. But honestly even if I were single I still wouldn’t have a roommate. I have had awful, awful roommates in the past. I mean like, one kicked in my door and threatened to kill me and our other roommates and people have called the cops on her multiple times when she was in our apartment. Anyways I’m scarred permanently and paranoid I’d get another one like her. I know it is cheaper but I could never, ever live with a roommate again.
Oh my. I’m glad my roommates weren’t as insane as that girl

K, so how do I move all my stuff and furniture 13 hrs away if I have 2 cats and a car?
I feel your pain. I have to move 37 hours across the country with an extremely active dog, my girlfriend, and our 2 cars. Our plan is to drive the whole way and stay in hotels for like 3 nights along the way. It's a pain in the ass but it's the only way I can really get all my stuff there (including my car) and guarantee it gets there haha.

I've had bad roommate situations all throughout college. Freshman year, she was just mean, sophomore year, she was CRAZY, and junior year I moved off campus with my bf into a house with his roommates from sophomore year (we had all lived on the same floor freshman year and new each other well), and they were fine but one of them had a gf who was legitimately insane! (e.g. she threatened to kill herself if we didn't let her smoke in the house, none of us smoked, especially inside the house with our pets and we had a freaking backyard! legitimately CRAZY!), so senior year the bf and I moved into an apartment on our own and it's been the best situation ever!!! The bf is a software engineer and he got an AMAZING job offer from a great company near Boston so he's going to stick around in Massachusetts while I go to NY so I can't live with him again unfortunately. But what I will say is this, living alone would have been crazy expensive and I was unable to find apartment complexes that allowed pets without a monthly pet fee which would have amounted to a ridiculous amount. So, I decided that I would have to give the roommate thing the ole' vet school try :p I was lucky enough to find roommates who are birb people as well! I'm also bringing my cat so I was hoping a cat would be there as well so he would have someone to play with, and if there was going to be a dog, there needed to be a cat as well because Webster gets scared of dogs sometimes so he needs a buddy :) The rent is a bit more than I would have wanted but you can't put a price on good roommates or an ideal living situation (7 minutes from the school, landlord does snow removal, big house with a big yard, near a bunch of grocery outlets, getting to school you take back roads and not a main road, essentially eliminating traffic, and not too expensive). :)

Reactions: 1 users
I feel your pain. I have to move 37 hours across the country with an extremely active dog, my girlfriend, and our 2 cars. Our plan is to drive the whole way and stay in hotels for like 3 nights along the way. It's a pain in the ass but it's the only way I can really get all my stuff there (including my car) and guarantee it gets there haha.
Wow 37 hours.. and I thought my 16 hour drive was gonna be bad. I assume you’re going from one coast to the other?

Wow 37 hours.. and I thought my 16 hour drive was gonna be bad. I assume you’re going from one coast to the other?
Yup New York (Long Island...which means it's going to take well over an hour just to make it out of the city and into NJ) to Arizona

Same. I have to drive about 16 hours and am dreading it. I really want to throw everything into multiple suitcases and fly. Luckily, I have no furniture and only a small rabbit. I feel for anyone with beds/desks to move along with pets who weigh more than 50+ pounds and/or multiple pets.

Same. I have to drive about 16 hours and am dreading it. I really want to throw everything into multiple suitcases and fly. Luckily, I have no furniture and only a small rabbit. I feel for anyone with beds/desks to move along with pets who weigh more than 50+ pounds and/or multiple pets.
If you can fit everything into 2 suitcases just book yourself first class :laugh:
(at least on delta you get 2 free (70#???) bags in first)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can fit everything into 2 suitcases just book yourself first class :laugh:
(at least on delta you get 2 free (70#???) bags in first)

I wish I could. I have 8 suitcases of things that will each be 50# each. I’m going to ask 3 of my friends if they want to fly with me to help me move in so we can each take 2 bags free on Southwest & my rabbit will sit near my feet in his carrier. I mean, SoCal is a good enough location to encourage someone to fly right? Haha, besides my friendship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could. I have 8 suitcases of things that will each be 50# each. I’m going to ask 3 of my friends if they want to fly with me to help me move in so we can each take 2 bags free on Southwest & my rabbit will sit near my feet in his carrier. I mean, SoCal is a good enough location to encourage someone to fly right? Haha, besides my friendship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean, that sounds like a better idea :laugh:

Thaaats me. I’m moving all of my furniture. I considered selling everything and just getting new at ikea once I get there to save the $1000 it’s going to cost to rent a Uhaul but I have a tiny convertible coupe, so no way of transporting furniture. Oh wells.

73E7357C-FB44-4C36-89F7-4F81452630F6.jpeg
I edited this for us. Enjoy.

Reactions: 14 users
I found an amiable roommate who I interviewed quite a bit. I'm optimistic! And it'll be so much more cost effective. I think we may have found reasonable place with free laundry as well.

Things are looking up!

Reactions: 8 users
What are people opinions on getting a part time job during school? Is 1st semester too early?
I think most people recommend waiting until at least 2nd semester so you can get into the swing of things and figure out how much of a job you can handle.

Follow up question: what jobs do people usually get during summers?
As for this, I know some people do summer research programs (there’s quite a few on here including @finnickthedog @WildZoo and I think @Coopah) and I know @cdoconn is doing the banfield summer job thing this year.

Second ski's response. Best to let yourself settle into school things your first semester. At least here, most of the jobs affiliated with the vet school aren't open to you until you're in your second semester anyway. I've found it easier to go for one of those than a job elsewhere just because they're understanding of when you have exams and things.

And there are a lot of different summer job options! I'm continuing my night/weekend large animal assistant job and also doing research. I have a couple friends who are working for clinics. You can even do something unrelated to vet med if you feel so inclined. One of my friends taught a summer class and did a research project with high schoolers.

I agree that it's probably better to let yourself adjust first semester. With that said, I worked all through first year and it was okay though I might have made better grades in anatomy and phys if I hadn't. I worked as an on-call lab tech on nights and weekends...worked an average of about 10 hours per week. Many weeks were less, but then we'd have the weekend shifts that were longer to balance it out. It worked for me because many nights before tests I would just go to the lab and hole up in a nearby conference room to study. My 'study breaks' were going to run the occasional sample. During summer the job was full-time 8-5 because we did training then.

Reactions: 2 users
What are people opinions on getting a part time job during school? Is 1st semester too early?
Don’t get a job 1st semester unless you ABSOLUTELY have to. Like, desperately need food money need to. It takes about a month to get in the habit of vet school, and after a month, usually the level of hell gets cranked up a lot. :laugh: You should definitely wait until the second semester. I ended up getting a job during the second semester because the doctor I did undergrad research with offered me a paid research tech job. So it was part time and weekends whenever I could, which was great.

As for this, I know some people do summer research programs (there’s quite a few on here including @finnickthedog @WildZoo and I think @Coopah) and I know @cdoconn is doing the banfield summer job thing this year.
yeah I’m doing the Banfield student jobs program, and it’s pretty nice. Especially since they pay so well. I’m learning a LOT!

The 16 hour drives between Denver and Champaign have killed me 3/4 of the latest drives cause they've spiked to 18 hours. Going to Denver for Christmas became a 6am to 1am (MST) because of a blizzard and I-76 taking 4.5 HOURS! There have been traffic jams that last an hour to two hours on the last two trips.

I really, honest to dog hate flying. But I'm flying in June. I'm also thinking of trying the train. At least I can sleep on those and on the train, I'd be on the ground.

Also, one of the biggest reasons I loved my 97 suburban was that I could move wherever in one go. My entire life fit in that truck. <3

I would recommend waiting. But once you have some time management skills down, go for it. I have 3 jobs (but one is only 1-5 hours a week) that are super flexible. I like on call shifts more than actually scheduled jobs to be honest.

Follow up question: what jobs do people usually get during summers?
At my school in particular there is a while lot to do during the summer, I somehow ended up on 3(!!!) summer research gigs because they are sort of co-related. Only 1 is my job however. There are also plenty of summer jobs that they spam students with from tech positions to research projects to mini rotations at the school. The only way you don't end up with a job is if you try to have time off. (Most people are just overachievers and do stuff though.)

To answer your previous question I think 1st semester is a little too early but it really depends on the person. Plenty of people in my class got jobs first semester, many got more than one. I waited until second semester and I only have rep jobs that require minimal work. So it's up to you and how well you adjust!

Congrats BBC!
OMG GUYS I'm so proud of all of us going to vet school at the same time!

Log: Day 238: My disguise is working. The vetties have yet to realize. I have become one of them.

Reactions: 12 users
Log: Day 238: My disguise is working. The vetties have yet to realize. I have become one of them.

Excuuuuuuse you. You are not one of us. You belong with the dumpster fire.

Shhhh Ski... it's like when the cat is hiding with half it's body still visible. You just have to humor it and pretend you can't see them.

Reactions: 7 users
Excuuuuuuse you. You are not one of us. You belong with the dumpster fire.
:caution:
Congrats BBC!
OMG GUYS I'm so proud of all of us going to vet school at the same time!

Of course you can hang with us. :love: