Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m glad CSU doesn’t have a dress code. Leggings and sweatshirts all day :smug:
I literally wore a blanket as an accessory to class almost every day for the last third of the semester so I am also glad we don't have a dress code lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
A dress code literally sounds like the worst thing ever. I mean, why? I don't get it.

Reactions: 6 users
A dress code literally sounds like the worst thing ever. I mean, why? I don't get it.
I think it's to start getting you look the part of being a vet (professional). Also our school is only a health profession school so there's no undergrad and all the programs in the school have a business or business casual dress code

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's to start getting you look the part of being a vet (professional). Also our school is only a health profession school so there's no undergrad and all the programs in the school have a business or business casual dress code
But like

Lots of vets wear only scrubs in practice. Equine/LA/Food animal wear jeans and a T-shirt in practice. Not every vet is wearing business casual clothes in practice. So why force everyone to do so in school when a chunk of them won’t have to in practice?

Reactions: 7 users
I remember @Trilt talking about this. For me, when I need to dress business casual for work, or for the days at school where I have to, I can do it easily. I just don’t believe it’s mecessary to dress business casual to sit in a lecture for 4 hours and then go to a lab like that.

But whatever your school requires is obviously what they think is best. I just think that in the big picture of fixing the issues at veterinary schools, adding a dress code shouldn’t be on that list.

Reactions: 4 users
But like

Lots of vets wear only scrubs in practice. Equine/LA/Food animal wear jeans and a T-shirt in practice. Not every vet is wearing business casual clothes in practice. So why force everyone to do so in school when a chunk of them won’t have to in practice?
I’m trying to imagine our big ‘ol scruffy country boys who are going into LA med and wear cowboy boots and baseball hats to class wearing business casual instead and it’s rather amusing. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
But like

Yeah I mean I think it more-so has to do with the fact that the whole school has a dress code and our program was only made 4 years ago...so it's probably more of a matter of the vet students fitting in with the rest of the school

Not going to lie, I would rather have a dress code than mandatory attendance. Cause if you don't have mandatory attendance, then you can realistically also not have a dress code.:rolleyes:

My dress: Pj's, popcorn and recorded lectures.

Yup, that worked out very well for me. :)

They're forcing me into class some next year due to clicker questions that count as participation points. :yeahright:. I won't complain about them bein participation only; but I'd rather not have them at all.

I remember @Trilt talking about this. For me, when I need to dress business casual for work, or for the days at school where I have to, I can do it easily. I just don’t believe it’s mecessary to dress business casual to sit in a lecture for 4 hours and then go to a lab like that.

But whatever your school requires is obviously what they think is best. I just think that in the big picture of fixing the issues at veterinary schools, adding a dress code shouldn’t be on that list.
My thoughts remain the same...
I wear dress clothes every single day I work (when I'm not in scrubs for surgery). It doesn't kill me. I'm perfectly fine and professional. But hell yeah I wore workout clothes or sweats to class basically every day I attended. Strict dress codes strike me as idiotic. Select individuals who are intelligent and adapted enough to know what the appropriate attire is for different situations and don't make people wear less comfortable clothes for freaking lectures.

They're forcing me into class some next year due to clicker questions that count as participation points. :yeahright:. I won't complain about them bein participation only; but I'd rather not have them at all.

Yeah, we had a couple of questions like that third year. I showed up for those classes only. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user

Basically all of our classes have some sort of clicker questions for class points. The school decided they could be up to 10% of your grade. So, enough to easily fail you if you don’t go to lecture :rolleyes: not every class has that many points devoted to them, but some instructors were upset people don’t attend lecture (though we usually have like 80+/98 people there, so that seems decent compared to other schools?), so I think more are moving to making them worth significant points.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, we had a couple of questions like that third year. I showed up for those classes only. :laugh:

Probs what I'll end up doing. Lol

Basically all of our classes have some sort of clicker questions for class points. The school decided they could be up to 10% of your grade. So, enough to easily fail you if you don’t go to lecture :rolleyes: not every class has that many points devoted to them, but some instructors were upset people don’t attend lecture (though we usually have like 80+/98 people there, so that seems decent compared to other schools?), so I think more are moving to making them worth significant points.

According to my 2020 friends, it's not all the classes and they announced all the days when there were clicker questions. So I may or may or may not just show up to those classes and bum in the back row like I did this year. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users

Only required for all students if they're being involved in patient care. For the didactic years at the glendale campus only the CVM and PA programs have adopted the dress code.
I was really looking forward to relaxing with a blanket too :laugh:

I found out my school has a dress code, so it seems I'll need to do some major revamp to my closet :dead:

Does anyone have recommendations for comfortable "business casual" looking shoes? Also if any recommendations for stores fo hit up first for the clothes!
The more deals they have, the better... these rabies vaccines are hitting my checks hard!
Betabrand makes dress yoga pants.

They are on the pricey side but if you're wearing them every day you'd probably get your money's worth!

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Betabrand makes dress yoga pants.

They are on the pricey side but if you're wearing them every day you'd probably get your money's worth!

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile
Yo these are my fave I have a couple pairs with plans to buy more for when I need them at school (I may or may not have also ditched my dress pants for interviews and worn them instead because comfy HAHAHA)
They have sales often so you can usually get them 20% off at least (and there might be a student discount too???)

You guys definitely beat us in attendance. We usually run at about 45/115 on a good day. It might get down to 15/115 on days there's a test at 11 and 3 lectures before it

You guys definitely beat us in attendance. We usually run at about 45/115 on a good day. It might get down to 15/115 on days there's a test at 11 and 3 lectures before it
Yeah, day before and of a test or can drop down to 40-60 depending on the class. But still, 80% attendance doesn’t seem enough for this big of a stink to have been thrown about “poor” attendance.

I think the lowest we've gotten was 20/85. Some professors seem to care a lot more than others. I get it must suck to lecture to an emptyish room, but hey, we're paying to learn the stuff, not to sit in a classroom all day. Gotta make the most of the time you get.

We also have a "business casual" dress code but it's pretty relaxed. As long as you don't wear sweats you probably won't get any funny looks, unless you're going into the actual hospital. Things are stricter around there.

I think the lowest we've gotten was 20/85. Some professors seem to care a lot more than others. I get it must suck to lecture to an emptyish room, but hey, we're paying to learn the stuff, not to sit in a classroom all day. Gotta make the most of the time you get.

We also have a "business casual" dress code but it's pretty relaxed. As long as you don't wear sweats you probably won't get any funny looks, unless you're going into the actual hospital. Things are stricter around there.
Some professors refuse to be recorded because they feel it's disrespectful to not show up to class. They're talking about taking away the recordings here and I don't know what I would do. I even go to every class and I can't get all the material the first time around.

Some professors refuse to be recorded because they feel it's disrespectful to not show up to class. They're talking about taking away the recordings here and I don't know what I would do. I even go to every class and I can't get all the material the first time around.
Yeah we have one who doesn't record anything, and doesn't provide pre-printed notes or powerpoints, so you have to be there. I usually don't use the recordings if I was actually in class, but it would suck if you're sick and miss like 16 lectures in two days. Plus I know a lot of people use them to go back over stuff. To me it just seems silly. I have friends whose grades improved when they stopped going to class. How can you expect someone to keep going under those circumstances? It's not disrespectful if you actually learn better/are in a better place mentally that way.

Pro tip: have a Deaf person/ person who qualifies enough as deaf in the class.

We used to have professors who would refuse to be recorded/ would turn off recordings with poor attendance but when I showed up, they told the professors that they couldn’t do that anymore. So now, some professors will turn off the mic if they want to say a specific thing that will be a bonus question on the test as a reward for going to class

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah we have one who doesn't record anything, and doesn't provide pre-printed notes or powerpoints, so you have to be there. I usually don't use the recordings if I was actually in class, but it would suck if you're sick and miss like 16 lectures in two days. Plus I know a lot of people use them to go back over stuff. To me it just seems silly. I have friends whose grades improved when they stopped going to class. How can you expect someone to keep going under those circumstances? It's not disrespectful if you actually learn better/are in a better place mentally that way.
It honestly baffles me. The one professor who refuses to be recorded was going on and on about learning styles and do whatever you need to to understand the material.... except for listening to this again lol. The fact is he's a good professor and he gives us readers that contain all the pertinent information so we don't collectively panic, but I really don't know what I would do without the recordings. There is only so long I can focus in lectures, and if we have six lectures in one day I'm just not going to get all of the information down. Especially to the minut detail that they ask us about. Ok, enough ranting lol.

Glad I'm out now. As a mostly auditory learner, even going to class it was impossible for me sometimes because of all the background that comes from a collection of humans in a small space making various noises throughout the class. I definitely get the insult of having people not come to class, but that's life in my opinion.

Does anyone know CSU’s policy on attendance and recording lectures?

Does anyone know CSU’s policy on attendance and recording lectures?

(Yes that is the droid you are looking for)
Unfortunately I am also a know-nothing droid who didn't even realize we had an attendance policy or that some classes recorded lectures until halfway through last semester when we got an angry email about the first and a nice email reminder about the second lol.

Basically: lecture attendance isn't required unless there is a good reason/the professor requests it for specific reasons (think guest lecturers, unique class presentations, etc.), but attendance is required for labs and anything clinics-related unless you get it excused basically. Some classes will take attendance in the form of super easy quizzes about the lecture (think "Please give feedback to the guest lecturer" type questions, not real content quizzes), but that's usually because either the whole class consists of guest lecturers and has no exams so attendance is worth a grade (there's one in first semester like this) or it's a section of the class where they bring in some of the residents to practice their presentation skills (our pathology class in second semester does the week before finals to give us a break lol).

As for recorded lectures, that depends on the professor right now and most of them don't do it (at least in first year, not sure in second year). I think the exception is if you have a student like @cdoconn in your class who needs lectures recorded. I'm not the greatest person to ask because I almost never watch through lectures again because of who I am as a person

Unfortunately I am also a know-nothing droid who didn't even realize we had an attendance policy or that some classes recorded lectures until halfway through last semester when we got an angry email about the first and a nice email reminder about the second lol.

Basically: lecture attendance isn't required unless there is a good reason/the professor requests it for specific reasons (think guest lecturers, unique class presentations, etc.), but attendance is required for labs and anything clinics-related unless you get it excused basically. Some classes will take attendance in the form of super easy quizzes about the lecture (think "Please give feedback to the guest lecturer" type questions, not real content quizzes), but that's usually because either the whole class consists of guest lecturers and has no exams so attendance is worth a grade (there's one in first semester like this) or it's a section of the class where they bring in some of the residents to practice their presentation skills (our pathology class in second semester does the week before finals to give us a break lol).

As for recorded lectures, that depends on the professor right now and most of them don't do it (at least in first year, not sure in second year). I think the exception is if you have a student like @cdoconn in your class who needs lectures recorded. I'm not the greatest person to ask because I almost never watch through lectures again because of who I am as a person
Thank you for responding :)

Rushed home after work to help this mamma with whelping <3

Are we vets yet?! :D

Attachments

• F933E344-C3AA-4CAB-9F06-4EC19E278DC5.jpeg
    F933E344-C3AA-4CAB-9F06-4EC19E278DC5.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: 13 users
Random question for those with debt (almost everyone I assume;))
How do you handle your credit card payments with no job? I may need to let my boyfriend take over payments for me but I'd feel bad...

How do you handle your credit card payments with no job? I may need to let my boyfriend take over payments for me but I'd feel bad...

Them loans. Or, if I was able to work enough, work money.

Loans. A vicious cycle.

I handle bills like credit cards, utilities and rent first. Then loans

I haven't been on in forever. I did, however, finally install my mega interactive whiteboard! Sending pics per earlier requests.20180625_110559.jpg 20180702_114526.jpg 20180702_114536.jpg
20180625_110559.jpg
20180702_114526.jpg
20180702_114536.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Wow and my class got guilt tripped/yelled at for having about 20 people missing out of our class of 114(ish)

Wow and my class got guilt tripped/yelled at for having about 20 people missing out of our class of 114(ish)
I'm one of the usual people in class, except for test days, and I'm not sure if most of our people really mind. With the exception of one teacher who used in class questions for points and didn't live stream. I like having an intimate class, it makes connecting with professors/clinicians a lot easier.

I'm one of the usual people in class, except for test days, and I'm not sure if most of our people really mind. With the exception of one teacher who used in class questions for points and didn't live stream. I like having an intimate class, it makes connecting with professors/clinicians a lot easier.
This is why I like our small class size