Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I already have an iPad Pro and I was thinking about buying a MacBook Air to use alongside the iPad Pro. Since Apple doesn’t use Office would that be a bad idea?
Apple has an Office that works! OkState gives free downloads to students!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@MixedAnimals77 yay, glad you started this thread! Have you decided where you're going yet?!

@pcram93 are you going to Oregon??

So where else is everyone going!? I haven't 100% decided yet, but I'm leaning hard towards NCSU :)

Thanks! I already have an iPad Pro and I was thinking about buying a MacBook Air to use alongside the iPad Pro. Since Apple doesn’t use Office would that be a bad idea?

@migc not exactly the same topic, but you might want to check out iPad Pro v Surface Pro

Reactions: 3 users
@MixedAnimals77 yay, glad you started this thread! Have you decided where you're going yet?!

So where else is everyone going!? I haven't 100% decided yet, but I'm leaning hard towards NCSU :)

@migc not exactly the same topic, but you might want to check out iPad Pro v Surface Pro
Not yet still waiting on WA which should be this week! Then I can decide finally!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Trying to decide between LSU and Mizzou and still waiting to hear from OkState!

@ChoopLoops Hey!! :) Thank you for asking! First off, congratulations on your acceptances! It's awesome that you have options with schools, especially NCSU ;)

I am leaning toward Oregon. I love that the class size is small and that there are plenty of opportunities for surgical experience fourth year. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend open days bc of busy schedule.

The only thing keeping me from committing to Oregon (other than not having toured the facilities) is my interview at Illinois this coming Monday. Even though I did not have the best impression of the school's atmosphere when I interviewed there last year, (coupled by the fact that I've lived in this state all my life and would love to leave it behind) it is still in-state tuition I'd be passing up. We'll have to see what happens.

But I would love to hear your decision and what factors you considered when you finalize it, if you do end up at NCSU. Congratulations again!

Thank you! I’ve never had a Mac before, always used PCs so I wasn’t sure if it was compatible.

Full disclosure, not at OkState, but I use Word on my Pro and my MacBook all the time (you can even draw with the Apple Pencil on Word on the pro). Honestly, I had an Air before I got the pro for school and barely use it compared to how much I use my Pro. 10/10 recommendation for Notability.

Full disclosure, not at OkState, but I use Word on my Pro and my MacBook all the time (you can even draw with the Apple Pencil on Word on the pro). Honestly, I had an Air before I got the pro for school and barely use it compared to how much I use my Pro. 10/10 recommendation for Notability.

I do plan on using my iPad for taking notes! The reason I’m interested in getting a MacBook is for exams and because my iPad only has 32 gigs of storage. I’m worried I will run out of storage on my iPad and if I do I would like to have something for back up to store notes on.

I do plan on using my iPad for taking notes! The reason I’m interested in getting a MacBook is for exams and because my iPad only has 32 gigs of storage. I’m worried I will run out of storage on my iPad and if I do I would like to have something for back up to store notes on.

I like my Air. Totally understandable storage wise, that likely wouldn’t be enough. I will add that I’ve taken ever exam of vet school on my iPad!

Hey guys! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted thus far! Was looking at c/o 2020&2021 and we are behind on starting our thread! So to start us off...View attachment 229278

In response to that gif:

im-fine.gif

Congrats everyone! :hardy:

woo woo! cannot wait to start! feels so long away!

Members don't see this ad :)
Still in a little bit of shock that I’m actually going to be a veterinarian, but I’m headed to MWU next fall! Anyone else?

Guys! It's so nerve wracking turning down seating! Sent in my first decline tonight and part of me is like "am I making the right choice?"

Side note (mini internal conflict/pity party):
Deep down I know where I'm going, but I am struggling knowing that choice and where I plan to go (it's only 1200ish miles away from home) eventhough there's a perfectly good vet school only 180ish miles away from home. WSU is cheaper and I loved the program way more than CSU. It's an internal struggle for me considering I'm leaving all my pets with my parents plus how close I am with my parents. It all feels stupid considering I've spent months in a foreign country before away from everyone and everything that I'm having these feelings. I'm also conflicted though because I'm excited for all the new possibilities not only in vet school, but outside of it living in a different part of the country that is so close to Canada and attractions along the coast like Seattle and Creater Lake that I can go explore over breaks.

Guys! It's so nerve wracking turning down seating! Sent in my first decline tonight and part of me is like "am I making the right choice?"

Deep down I know where I'm going, but I am struggling knowing that choice and where I plan to go (it's only 1200ish miles away from home) eventhough there's a perfectly good vet school only 180ish miles away from home. WSU is cheaper and I loved the program way more than CSU. It's an internal struggle for me considering I'm leaving all my pets with my parents plus how close I am with my parents. It all feels stupid considering I've spent months in a foreign country before away from everyone and everything that I'm having these feelings. I'm also conflicted though because I'm excited for all the new possibilities not only in vet school, but outside of it living in a different part of the country that is so close to Canada and attractions along the coast like Seattle and Creater Lake that I can go explore over breaks.
You’re not making a bad decision. Go for what feels right, and for you, less loans and a program you like better feels right. It’s only 4 years you’d have to be that far away and then you could move back to CO if you don’t do a residency. And hey, you might be able to bring some pets up with you once you get settled in or you could still have them stay with your parents who will take equally as good care of them. You’ll still be able to see them on breaks, it’ll just be a plane ride instead of a drive. Congratulations on WSU and your decision, mixy!!!!!!!

My favorite pickup/Valentine's line for my SO: "Are you a dementor, because you take my breath away?"

Reactions: 4 users

You're coming to the land of PBC and @Caiter92, that's always the right decision. :p

I have been wishing for august since I found out in December....come august I know I will reget it but I’m just so excited :soexcited:

Bottle that enthusiasm
Lol I know I would randomly dance around my kitchen singing and my mom said she was going to record me so that when I was complaining in a year she would make me watch it!

How has it already been 2 years since I started the c/o 2020 thread???
Still. Salty.

To be fair our thread has been a bit of a cluster from the start

Somehow some of the chattiest people on this forum are all in our class and I'm pretty sure the first ~3 pages of our class thread is an argument about ellipses lol
You also got a fair bit of help from chatty people who aren't in your class :=|:-):

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know, @cdoconn is vet school worse than being in a career you can't stand? I'd rather study and be miserable 4 years than my whole life. ;)

I don't know, @cdoconn is vet school worse than being in a career you can't stand? I'd rather study and be miserable 4 years than my whole life. ;)
Oh I completely agree. But it’s still very fun!!11! *looks on with considerable hesitation*
Is it bad that I've already accepted the fact I'll be miserable for at least the next 4 years and I haven't even started yet?
giphy.gif

I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE I'M ACTUALLY STARTING VET SCHOOL OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! WSU here I come :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Is it bad that I've already accepted the fact I'll be miserable for at least the next 4 years and I haven't even started yet?
Some parts of vet school suck and are hard. But it shouldn't be hard and awful all of the time. Every once in a while you should still be able to stick your head up for fresh air and feel like whatever you're doing is totally awesome and worth it for you even if it's unpleasant and not very fun sometimes.

I know you're (sort of) joking, but I think expectations are very important going in to vet school. Expect that it will be difficult and that you will have to work, but don't expect that it's simply normal for you to be miserable and sad all of the time. If that's happening please go talk to someone about it. The rates of mental illness are very high in the veterinary profession and it's not good to cultivate the mindset that it is a privilege or expectation to suffer in order to achieve/maintain your chosen career.

Reactions: 11 users
Some parts of vet school suck and are hard. But it shouldn't be hard and awful all of the time. Every once in a while you should still be able to stick your head up for fresh air and feel like whatever you're doing is totally awesome and worth it for you even if it's unpleasant and not very fun sometimes.

I know you're (sort of) joking, but I think expectations are very important going in to vet school. Expect that it will be difficult and that you will have to work, but don't expect that it's simply normal for you to be miserable and sad all of the time. If that's happening please go talk to someone about it. The rates of mental illness are very high in the veterinary profession and it's not good to cultivate the mindset that it is a privilege or expectation to suffer in order to achieve/maintain your chosen career.
I think this is a great thing to bring this up early. While I am joking, I have a very real expectation that this isn't going to be a walk in the park, but I also know that there will be times and things that make it all worth it and it's not all bad especially all the time. However, I'm glad you brought this up as it's a great thing to keep in mind going forward and for everyone to seek help if they need it and remember that we are all hear for each other in some capacity and it should never be looked down upon to reach out for help if one needs it. For all my future colleagues my inbox is always open (for anyone really):)

Reactions: 2 users

Vet school IS hard, mostly because of the volume of material and the endless exams that come as a result, but it is also really cool and fun. People complain about it constantly, but all in all I really do love it, personally. I think they key for me has been to get back in the clinic as much as humanly possible to keep my perspective. Also classmates...your friends gets you through because no one else will ever truly understand. It’s crazy how much you learn in such a short period of time.

I think this is a great thing to bring this up early. While I am joking, I have a very real expectation that this isn't going to be a walk in the park, but I also know that there will be times and things that make it all worth it and it's not all bad especially all the time. However, I'm glad you brought this up as it's a great thing to keep in mind going forward and for everyone to seek help if they need it and remember that we are all hear for each other in some capacity and it should never be looked down upon to reach out for help if one needs it. For all my future colleagues my inbox is always open (for anyone really):)
:nods:
Vet school is hard but you also get to do a lot of cool ****. Try to focus on the awesome parts. It makes the dark times a little less dark :)
Vet school IS hard, mostly because of the volume of material and the endless exams that come as a result, but it is also really cool and fun. People complain about it constantly, but all in all I really do love it, personally. I think they key for me has been to get back in the clinic as much as humanly possible to keep my perspective. Also classmates...your friends gets you through because no one else will ever truly understand. It’s crazy how much you learn in such a short period of time.
I agree 100% with all of the above. I make jokes because it’s my coping mechanism for my 4 hour anatomy exam in... just over an hour.

Vet school is definitely a roller coaster of exhaustion. There’s some days when you have a really good day and you feel confident and on top of the world. And there’s days when you definitely don’t. But attitude is everything. If you go in expecting it to be terrible, it will be. And I’ve come to find that my attitude in class and about school directly correlates with how much I retained/ how well I do on the exams, so I force myself to be ‘happy’ before every single class.

Overall, vet school is great, I love my friends and where I am right now, and I couldn’t imagine doing anything else. Don’t let the scary things the people in vet school right now affect your experience! Have fun with it, especially now!!

Reactions: 5 users
I would agree with what's been said already, it will be work and it will be stressful. On the other hand it will be an absolute blast! I've never been in a better environment as far as supportive people and crazy shenanigans. We all work together and have fostered a sense of family. I hope everyone gets the same experience as I do because I'm having the time of my life. I know a lot of people who would say they'd never do vet school again or even that it was a mistake. For me personally, I've never been happier. Find good people, and don't let others drag you down. Enjoy where you are now, but enjoy it where you get here too :).

Reactions: 8 users
It’s crazy how much you learn in such a short period of time.
I was goofing around with @SkiOtter last night on the VIN virtual clinic and I caught a systolic heart murmur secondary to left sided heart failure and I was honestly dang proud. We’ve learned a LOT in one semester. And then I realized how much more I have to learn. :laugh:

I was goofing around with @SkiOtter last night on the VIN virtual clinic and I caught a systolic heart murmur secondary to left sided heart failure and I was honestly dang proud. We’ve learned a LOT in one semester. And then I realized how much more I have to learn. :laugh:

I love being able to look at CBC/Chem/UA and being able to have an intelligent conversation with my boss. Super fun.

I would agree with what's been said already, it will be work and it will be stressful. On the other hand it will be an absolute blast! I've never been in a better environment as far as supportive people and crazy shenanigans. We all work together and have fostered a sense of family. I hope everyone gets the same experience as I do because I'm having the time of my life. I know a lot of people who would say they'd never do vet school again or even that it was a mistake. For me personally, I've never been happier. Find good people, and don't let others drag you down. Enjoy where you are now, but enjoy it where you get here too :).

I heard a lot of people say that they hate vet school and it always made me really sad as a prevet to hear that...I wondered if I was just naive and would hate it too. I’m so glad that I actually love it. Kind of a relief...then again there’s always second year to make me bitter haha;)

All that said, if I’m being honest, this week especially I’m tired and a little over it. Exam schedule is rough right now, but if I squint I can sorta see spring break...haha

Oh we don’t have that class until second year, but I know what you mean when I see rads hahaha

Yes rads too! Love radiology. Still so much to learn (#pulmonarypatterns) but so fun!

P.S. Clin Path is da bomb

I am excited and TERRIFIED. As a non-traditional student, my best advice from DVM's in our hospital has been "Treat school like it is a job".

I never expected to get into vet school, none-the-less, three schools! I'm pretty sure I know where I will be going, but I wanted to ask everyone, what was the deciding factor for you?!

I am excited and TERRIFIED. As a non-traditional student, my best advice from DVM's in our hospital has been "Treat school like it is a job".

I never expected to get into vet school, none-the-less, three schools! I'm pretty sure I know where I will be going, but I wanted to ask everyone, what was the deciding factor for you?!
LEAST EXPENSIVE. youll get a great education wherever you go, but most everyone on here will tell you to go with your cheapest option. would you rather be drowning in 300k of debt or 150k?

Reactions: 8 users

Where are you choosing between @Vagabondvetmed ?