Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nah, you're good! The best type of parent :) It will be a big change but a lot of dogs are very resilient -- I recently moved out of my house with big backyard to an apartment (lease ended and needed a temp place for the next 6 months), and the first week was rough -- all the new sounds, smells, and walk to the park around the corner -- but she's adjusting well -- still gets startled and what not, but got her a chair by the window and she's happy watching outside now. Work is a few minutes away so I currently come home for lunch and breaking up the 8 hour work day like that has worked well. I was very worried about moving, but it honestly wasn't that bad -- you find a way to make it work. He you's kid just the way I see mine as my kid -- have to make it work, no other option, for me, at least. About the lunch seminars and things.... yeah... it will be tough -- people find work arounds -- friends, neighbors, other students, etc to help on those days it seems...
Thinking back to when I picked my school list -- all based on where would my dog be happy, let's be honest -- north, open spaces, water, and cooler weather :lol:

I'm among my own people :happy:

Its really nice to have all you people to talk to about all these big changes in our lives :kiss:

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who have lived in cold/snowy places, how important is covered parking when considering a place to live? (Will be attending Ohio State)
Thanks!
-Southern california person ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
How am I doing? Worrying about finding agility and nose work up in Michigan for my dogs! :nailbiting:

For those of you who have lived in cold/snowy places, how important is covered parking when considering a place to live? (Will be attending Ohio State)
Thanks!
Eh you'll be fine (from CO). The worst is scraping ice, but they sale covers that go over your windshield then your windshield doesn't get icy it's great. IDK how much it snows in OH but a shovel to dig your way out might be needed, other than that it might be an adjustment but you'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks!

Haha. Just buy a windshield scraper. You’ll be fine. We definitely get snow, but you get used to it and there’s definitely places that get far more of it.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m not super worried about leaving my chihuahua while I’m at school. He’s a couch potato. Although, is he here’s something outside or thinks someone’s near my apartment he will bark so I’m worried about getting in trouble for that!

Thanks!
Eh you'll be fine (from CO). The worst is scraping ice, but they sale covers that go over your windshield then your windshield doesn't get icy it's great. IDK how much it snows in OH but a shovel to dig your way out might be needed, other than that it might be an adjustment but you'll be fine.
Nah shouldn’t need a shovel unless it’s a really bad (and rare) storm
I definitely prefer covered parking personally because it means I don’t have to scrape ice/brush snow off my car (which tbh doesn’t even take that long)
I do recommend a car that’s not rear wheel drive bc that sucks in the ice and snow just ask @singhb09

I was thinking that and was all set on Colorado (Tufts backup -- so much green space!) -- but Penn called me back and said come be a Pennwe (and minor details, we'll sweeten the deal by cutting your annual tuition by half), so it's looking mighty hard to say no to Penn now that they're cheaper than my IS... Need to practically live on top of a big park, as Penn is not a "rent a house with a big backyard kind of place..." :confused::confused::confused:
Congrats staffy, that is really awesome!!

Reactions: 1 user
How am I doing? Worrying about finding agility and nose work up in Michigan for my dogs! :nailbiting:

@finnickthedog i found your people

*snort*

Not that I've ever done nose work or agility specifically, but no joke I ran into one of our anatomy lecturers at a show though because she was there doing nose work.
Although Aqua I probably could help you find agility or nose work in the area if I ask around because I know a lot of people who do various things with their dogs.

*snort*

Not that I've ever done nose work or agility specifically, but no joke I ran into one of our anatomy lecturers at a show though because she was there doing nose work.
Although Aqua I probably could help you find agility or nose work in the area if I ask around because I know a lot of people who do various things with their dogs.
Seeeee, your people :p

*snort*

I’m pretty sure they do nose work at that place you do your training at

Members don't see this ad :)
Bouncing off all the talk of dogs. I love my foster greyhound. I want to keep him ahh.

*snort*

That would be awesome! I'm seriously stressing out more about finding places for my dog sports up there than anything else. :whistle:

Are you involved in dog shows?

That would be awesome! I'm seriously stressing out more about finding places for my dog sports up there than anything else. :whistle:

Are you involved in dog shows?

Yup! I'm mostly conformation but I've also competed in rally, trained in obedience, and dabbled a little in herding. Looking forward to getting back into rally once my young'un gets his head screwed up on straight.

My family and friends do a lot of various things though so I can ask around and see where people do agility and nosework in the area. I'm pretty sure off the top of my head I know at least one person in the area who has done some agility classes.

My little sister really likes agility but man, I've always thought I would just slow my dog down. :laugh:

Bouncing off all the talk of dogs. I love my foster greyhound. I want to keep him ahh.
Sighthounds are the best! I have a 5 month old whippet now that I got quite unexpectedly right before Thanksgiving.

Oh my God how did I miss this thread? Soooooo excited guys!!! MSU for me, can't wait to meet you all
I'm going to MSU too and can't wait to meet everyone!:happy:

Sighthounds are the best! I have a 5 month old whippet now that I got quite unexpectedly right before Thanksgiving.

I'm going to MSU too and can't wait to meet everyone!:happy:
I really love him. He just completely avoids the cats, wants love but isn't too clingy, is very calm, etc. He is such a better fit than the last foster. Wondering if this will turn into a foster fail lol... I could get my first dog!

Yup! I'm mostly conformation but I've also competed in rally, trained in obedience, and dabbled a little in herding. Looking forward to getting back into rally once my young'un gets his head screwed up on straight.

My family and friends do a lot of various things though so I can ask around and see where people do agility and nosework in the area. I'm pretty sure off the top of my head I know at least one person in the area who has done some agility classes.

My little sister really likes agility but man, I've always thought I would just slow my dog down. :laugh:
Very cool!!!

I do agility and nose work with my 3 year old border collie mix. She's very goofy in agility and it took her forever to figure out her coordination, but she loves it and that's all that counts! We're doing out first CPE trial in mid-April here in NC. which I'm excited about.

I also have a 5 month old whippet that my vet/breeder was planning to use as her next show dog, until she diagnosed him with congenital megaesophagus. Long story short, she asked me to take him because of the management required to manage such a precarious condition. He still could be a good show dog (she really wants me to show him now), although he could not be bred because it is a genetic condition. I'm thinking about doing agility with him and maybe do some rally too.

Yes, my life revolves around my dogs. :happy:

Same. I may or may not be a crazy dog lady.

Except by "may" I mean "probably am" and by "may not" I mean "definitely am".
Haha! My goal is to save up enough so I can afford to continue my dog sports in the fall once I'm in school. Honestly, where I was going to find a place to do agility/nose work/obedience, ect. was my first thought when I got my acceptance. :laugh:

Thanks!
Meh. They're nice but you'll be fine without :) I've lived here almost 5 years and never had covered parking. Make sure you buy a windshield scraper and brush BEFORE the first snowfall and change your windshield wiper fluid to the type with antifreezer/de-icer. If you plan on keeping your car awhile you can honestly probably get an automatic starter for less than a year's worth of covered parking.

Undergrad prevet it is :rofl:

This is actually a brilliant idea!

I'm among my own people :happy:

Its really nice to have all you people to talk to about all these big changes in our lives :kiss:

Fo sho :)

Congrats staffy, that is really awesome!!

Thanks :) :) :) I got some catching up to do to join you ;)

Didn't know so many people were into competing! I passed novice with mine -- but it was touch and go for a while -- the heel position was too "loose" had to keep getting her to scooch her butt in closer to my foot! After that I said I'd try agility if we competed again. Flyball looks cool -- but mine is no border collie/sighthound.

Same. I may or may not be a crazy dog lady.

Except by "may" I mean "probably am" and by "may not" I mean "definitely am".

So... basically good peeps :laugh:

Didn't know so many people were into competing! I passed novice with mine -- but it was touch and go for a while -- the heel position was too "loose" had to keep getting her to scooch her butt in closer to my foot! After that I said I'd try agility if we competed again. Flyball looks cool -- but mine is no border collie/sighthound.
I miss flyball soooo much (haven't had any luck finding the scene in Chicago - it must exist here but every thing I've found was last updated in like 2007). My dog is a lab/husky mix and he does (did :() really well, there really are all types in flyball. There were labs, terrier mixes, and a couple cocker spaniels on our old team (and in one of our classes there was a pomeranian! - eventually stopped because wasn't big enough to trigger the box to shoot the ball). Don't rule it out based on breed, if nothing else it's just fun to do :D

I've thought about flyball for my westie too, since he's pretty ball motivated, but I haven't found anything that seems active online in my area either.

I miss flyball soooo much (haven't had any luck finding the scene in Chicago - it must exist here but every thing I've found was last updated in like 2007). My dog is a lab/husky mix and he does (did :() really well, there really are all types in flyball. There were labs, terrier mixes, and a couple cocker spaniels on our old team (and in one of our classes there was a pomeranian! - eventually stopped because wasn't big enough to trigger the box to shoot the ball). Don't rule it out based on breed, if nothing else it's just fun to do :D
Oh snap, husky mix? That's cool! Flyball or agility next, then! May have to check the scene out when I move -- will have to find something if I live in the city.... Also, same thing here -- I'm in the DC area and nothing has been updated for years and it's mostly pics of silver haired folks -- but I actually ended up calling and visiting a few places and things are still going strong -- and those silver haired people? Still kicking, just... more silver, and more than happy to share the tricks of the trade.

I've thought about flyball for my westie too, since he's pretty ball motivated, but I haven't found anything that seems active online in my area either.

Oh snap, husky mix? That's cool! Flyball or agility next, then! May have to check the scene out when I move -- will have to find something if I live in the city.... Also, same thing here -- I'm in the DC area and nothing has been updated for years and it's mostly pics of silver haired folks -- but I actually ended up calling and visiting a few places and things are still going strong -- and those silver haired people? Still kicking, just... more silver, and more than happy to share the tricks of the trade.
Let's make an SDN team! I acquired a border collie through marriage who would probably pick it up pretty quick as well so we'd have a full team :heckyeah:

I did suggest a prevet in my original post with the rover suggestion!!!!

Finny is definitely good peeps
You're biased -- you and Finny have a photo of the two of you together o_O

I know you did! I disregarded because I don't want a rando in my space! But after some thought -- I suppose they would be the ideal (most motivated, kind, cost-effective, and least likely to **** **** up) candidate! Sheesh! Give those slower than yourself a moment to catch up ;)

Let's make an SDN team! I acquired a border collie through marriage who would probably pick it up pretty quick as well so we'd have a full team :heckyeah:
I went as far as making some PVC jumps for my back yard and starting to teach him to bounce off of a piece of plywood leaning against the wall, but I decided I better stop trying to train him myself before I taught him bad habits. Then I moved before doing anything in the one city I knew had a decently active group.

Absolutely so down!

Yay! Need friends!

Any dog can do flyball, some just won't be on the div 1 teams. ;)

I did it with my old lab husky cross and he LOVED it. Would start howling as soon as he realized we were going to the competition or practice fields.

I wish it was still active in my area, it kinda died down a few years ago. I would 100% go hang out and volunteer line judge at competitions if they still had them.

Any dog can do flyball, some just won't be on the div 1 teams. ;)

I did it with my old lab husky cross and he LOVED it. Would start howling as soon as he realized we were going to the competition or practice fields.

I wish it was still active in my area, it kinda died down a few years ago. I would 100% go hang out and volunteer line judge at competitions if they still had them.
This is my dog. At first I was embarrassed but then it was like, screw it, let him be excited :D

Reactions: 3 users
I really love him. He just completely avoids the cats, wants love but isn't too clingy, is very calm, etc. He is such a better fit than the last foster. Wondering if this will turn into a foster fail lol... I could get my first dog!

Mine's a foster fail! I didn't even know I liked small dogs. And he's the SMALLEST dog. When my SO first saw him, he said "that's not a dog, that's an ant"
But I swear he like imprinted on me or something. The first few weeks I had him, when I wasn't around he would curl up inside my slipper :love: And he hides behind me when I drop him off at dog daycare. He likes it there, he just would rather be with me :laugh:

If only I could find a ball small enough for mine's mouth :laugh:

OMG so many show people! Did the regular stuff (don't do much any more though...)-show, rally, and obedience with a Dachshund, Miniature Schnauzer, and Australian Cattle Dog. Used to be so into it I was in the top 10 handlers for Cattle Dogs at one point. Most proud of my advanced rally titles on my Dachshund-that took work.

OMG so many show people! Did the regular stuff (don't do much any more though...)-show, rally, and obedience with a Dachshund, Miniature Schnauzer, and Australian Cattle Dog. Used to be so into it I was in the top 10 handlers for Cattle Dogs at one point. Most proud of my advanced rally titles on my Dachshund-that took work.

Right?! Where were all of y'all last year? :laugh:

Need to practically live on top of a big park, as Penn is not a "rent a house with a big backyard kind of place..." :confused::confused::confused:

(just so you know)
a lot of places here do have backyards, my house has one. No, it's not huge, but it does exist. I'm also on the same block as Clark Park, which isn't particularly fancy, but has enough space for dogs to run around. (They also have the BEST farmers market every saturday :rolleyes:)

Also the Alpha Psi house does actually have a giant backyard and if you're a member you are allowed to go over there any time and let your dog play. There are a lottttt of doggie play dates that happen over there every week.

And as long as you have a car (or make friends with someone who does), many people go to Wissahickon Valley Park for more space with their dogs and hiking trails.

A ton of people here have dogs and I don't think anyone feels like they have to go far at all to find places to bring them to get exercise.

:D

and if you don't go to class, you have plenty of time to do all of that!

(just so you know)
a lot of places here do have backyards, my house has one. No, it's not huge, but it does exist. I'm also on the same block as Clark Park, which isn't particularly fancy, but has enough space for dogs to run around. (They also have the BEST farmers market every saturday :rolleyes:)

Also the Alpha Psi house does actually have a giant backyard and if you're a member you are allowed to go over there any time and let your dog play. There are a lottttt of doggie play dates that happen over there every week.

And as long as you have a car (or make friends with someone who does), many people go to Wissahickon Valley Park for more space with their dogs and hiking trails.

A ton of people here have dogs and I don't think anyone feels like they have to go far at all to find places to bring them to get exercise.

:D

and if you don't go to class, you have plenty of time to do all of that!

Space for doggies and farmer's market? Sign me up please! Check on the car -- bringing my Jeep -- hopefully parking isn't terrible, although, you can't survive in DC if you don't learn how to parallel park :laugh:
Hahaha recorded lectures are like slippery slopes :hardy: