Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where are you choosing between @Vagabondvetmed ?
I got into Ross (which would be amazing, but is not really worth it in terms of debt for me).
As well as Purdue and Auburn (cost wise both schools are negligible.) But to be honest my heart is really set on Auburn. The physical rehabilitation room and the raptor center definitely caught my eye. I'm still having a hard time making the official decision though. There is one more school I haven't heard from too.

Members don't see this ad.

I just put down my deposit for Cornell! I knew I was going as soon as I got in but it feels so official now:soexcited:

Reactions: 15 users
@ChoopLoops Hey!! :) Thank you for asking! First off, congratulations on your acceptances! It's awesome that you have options with schools, especially NCSU ;)

I am leaning toward Oregon. I love that the class size is small and that there are plenty of opportunities for surgical experience fourth year. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend open days bc of busy schedule.

The only thing keeping me from committing to Oregon (other than not having toured the facilities) is my interview at Illinois this coming Monday. Even though I did not have the best impression of the school's atmosphere when I interviewed there last year, (coupled by the fact that I've lived in this state all my life and would love to leave it behind) it is still in-state tuition I'd be passing up. We'll have to see what happens.

But I would love to hear your decision and what factors you considered when you finalize it, if you do end up at NCSU. Congratulations again!

Yeah I'm holding off on my final decision until I go to Oregon's open campus day next month - just want to cover all my basis. But I loved NCSU's exotics program, and their curriculum structure. As long as I'm able to change my status to in-state (which seems pretty easy to do?), its much more affordable than Oregon. And even though I've been in the pacific NW for like 8 years and love it here, my family is all in VA, and I love the idea of being closer to them.

Let us know how the IL interview goes ^_^

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm holding off on my final decision until I go to Oregon's open campus day next month - just want to cover all my basis. But I loved NCSU's exotics program, and their curriculum structure. As long as I'm able to change my status to in-state (which seems pretty easy to do?), its much more affordable than Oregon. And even though I've been in the pacific NW for like 8 years and love it here, my family is all in VA, and I love the idea of being closer to them.

Let us know how the IL interview goes ^_^
Come to the dark side... and by that I mean Oregon :cat:

I mean...technically it *is* darker there than NC :p
Looks like there are 159 sunny days in Corvallis and 213 in Raleigh. All the rain and clouds make us darker on average ;)

Reactions: 2 users
It's real guys. I officially accepted my spot and I'm now looking for housing and jobs for the SO. It's a little nerve wracking...but exciting. Jump all in right? Living 19 hours away from home it's a little crazy!

Reactions: 11 users
It's real guys. I officially accepted my spot and I'm now looking for housing and jobs for the SO. It's a little nerve wracking...but exciting. Jump all in right? Living 19 hours away from home it's a little crazy!
:laugh: try living 48 hours from home ;). You got this. Also, try to remember this feeling.

:laugh: try living 48 hours from home ;). You got this. Also, try to remember this feeling.
Yeah I live 34 hours from home currently. I can't wait to live just over an hour from home!!

Anyone else going to be moving away from their significant other and doing a long distanced relationship? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmhmm. c/o 2020 here, I was in that boat first year. My PM box is always open if you need encouragement/advice/etc.

Thank you, I appreciate that!

I’ve looked through it. Just wondering if any other class of 2022ers are in the same boat!
I’m in the same boat here. About 5 hours away by car so not too terrible for weekend visits, but it’ll be tough. We’ve lived together for almost two years so it’ll be weird I’m sure.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m in the same boat here. About 5 hours away by car so not too terrible for weekend visits, but it’ll be tough. We’ve lived together for almost two years so it’ll be weird I’m sure.

I’ll be 8 hours away. I’m just not sure how often I’ll actually be able to visit so that’s what worries me. I would feel better if I knew I could see him at least every couple weeks but I’m not sure how much time I will actually have for that!

Mmhmm. c/o 2020 here, I was in that boat first year. My PM box is always open if you need encouragement/advice/etc.
I need help. I’m long distance from my boyfriend... he’s at least 4 light years away... any suggestions?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else going to be moving away from their significant other and doing a long distanced relationship? :(

I'm in the same boat. He's staying behind to finish out a job, and the plan is that he'll join me in fall 2019. We've been together 4.5 years and lived together for 2.5. On the upside, his mom works for an airline so he'll be able to fly out and visit pretty cheaply. I just don't know yet how often that will be, between my class schedule and his work schedule.

This might be silly, but one of the things I'm most nervous about with us being apart is our dog. The pup is coming with me, and I'm worried about leaving him at home all day alone while I'm in school (right now he comes to work with me, or goes to a daycare really close to our house - he's very spoiled!), and then if I have evening things to do (gym, or nights out or what have you) he's going to be alone then too. I'm sort of thinking of trying to find a roommate who also has a dog, so they can keep each other company, and I could share the burden of someone being home to let them out. But also haven't had a roommate in 2 years other than my SO so I'm kind of nervous about that, too.

Last edited:
I’ll be 8 hours away. I’m just not sure how often I’ll actually be able to visit so that’s what worries me. I would feel better if I knew I could see him at least every couple weeks but I’m not sure how much time I will actually have for that!
Our plan right now is every other week, where he would make the trip twice and then I’d go over there. He’s working full time but has weekends off and it’s not the kind of job where work comes home with him so he offered to do more traveling, since I’ll probably be studying more on the weekends and not wanting to sacrifice that 10 hours of study time I’d spend driving super often.
I am thinking we’ll end up seeing each other much less often than we’re planning, but I’m trying to be optimistic :)

Our plan right now is every other week, where he would make the trip twice and then I’d go over there. He’s working full time but has weekends off and it’s not the kind of job where work comes home with him so he offered to do more traveling, since I’ll probably be studying more on the weekends and not wanting to sacrifice that 10 hours of study time I’d spend driving super often.
I am thinking we’ll end up seeing each other much less often than we’re planning, but I’m trying to be optimistic :)

Mine in finishing up school and usually works all weekend :( also his car isn’t really up for making that long of a drive so it will be up to me to drive back home to visit. Just worried I won’t have time for that on a regular basis.

My husband is trying to look for a job so that we can live together, but looking for a job in a college town is not promising.. we're thinking we might have to live separately :arghh:

@migc - I am. I did my Master's 4 hours away from my SO who was finishing her Undergrad and started working. Since then I have been teaching and we are living back together. Our roles reversed and she works while at home and commutes to her grad school weekend classes in the exact city I was in full-time while we were doing long-distance. Now that I'm going to vet school I will be moving away with 2 of our 4 pets. I'm praying for A&M acceptance (1.5 hours away from home) versus LMU or Michigan State because 4 years that far will be difficult and pricey. She will stay regardless and work/go to school to complete two master's degrees and then begin her business while I'm back in school. We purposely indefinitely postponed our wedding to put our savings into a house (to rent out when we are both in school) and to go back to school. In some aspects it is hard, been there done that, but in other ways it will be nice because we both can focus and get through our busiest, hardest times of our lives without feeling guilty about not being able to be in constant connection like we have been. We've been together 8 years, engaged nearly 3, and in some ways it is just our life. We are both very driven work-wise and want to accomplish a lot in our lives and have been a constant support for each other. In spite of what it is, it has always make us stronger and more confident that we are both best friends and soul mates.

@migc - I am. I did my Master's 4 hours away from my SO who was finishing her Undergrad and started working. Since then I have been teaching and we are living back together. Our roles reversed and she works while at home and commutes to her grad school weekend classes in the exact city I was in full-time while we were doing long-distance. Now that I'm going to vet school I will be moving away with 2 of our 4 pets. I'm praying for A&M acceptance (1.5 hours away from home) versus LMU or Michigan State because 4 years that far will be difficult and pricey. She will stay regardless and work/go to school to complete two master's degrees and then begin her business while I'm back in school. We purposely indefinitely postponed our wedding to put our savings into a house (to rent out when we are both in school) and to go back to school. In some aspects it is hard, been there done that, but in other ways it will be nice because we both can focus and get through our busiest, hardest times of our lives without feeling guilty about not being able to be in constant connection like we have been. We've been together 8 years, engaged nearly 3, and in some ways it is just our life. We are both very driven work-wise and want to accomplish a lot in our lives and have been a constant support for each other. In spite of what it is, it has always make us stronger and more confident that we are both best friends and soul mates.

That sounds like a hard situation to be in but it’s good to hear that you both have a way of dealing with it and are both supportive of each other. Part of my worry is that my SO would rather us get married and move to school together but I don’t think we are ready for that and I’m the one that basically told him to stay put while I go off to school. We’ve always lived in the same city so it’s never been a problem. It’s hard for me to even picture how it will work out, but I’m hoping we will get married as soon as he gets finished with school (about a year/year and a half) and then he can move down with me. Thanks for sharing your story and here’s to hoping for A&M!:xf:

I'm currently doing long distance with my boyfriend of 5 years. It's tough and it sucks and I miss him terribly. But facetime is a great invention, plus if you can figure out your schedule early enough and plan accordingly, plane tickets to wherever you are can be surprisingly cheap! Plus he's very supportive of me and whenever I'm feeling down or lonely he reminds me why I'm here and what I'm trying to accomplish. (that's as cheesy as I am going to get on this website...)

Reactions: 4 users
I'm in the same boat

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile
Edit: I'll be 10 hours away (unless I get pulled off VMCVM waitlist, it'll be 5 hrs). He's starting PA school in May for a 2.5 yr program back home, and idk what will happen with his job placement afterward. I'll be lucky if I see him for major holidays/breaks, ive never done long distance, so it's going to be tough

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile

Congrats fellow 2022ers! We're going to be doctors! Getting in as much lazy time and family time as possible over the next 6 months.

Reactions: 8 users
Most of the time I'm really really excited about going into this profession, and people accepting me to schools and people believing that I'll be good at this career. But when I see yet ANOTHER article about the depression and suicide rates of young veterinarians, or another letter in this month's Veterinary Practice News about "it is not worth being a vet"/"why bother" - it really freaks me out and makes me sad.

@ChoopLoops I know how you're feeling. Last week my family lost our beloved 3 year old Rottie very suddenly and unexpectedly. Our vet had taken care of him his entire life and performed two very recent surgeries to repair his ACL. The doctor was so kind to my parents throughout the entire process and truly went above and beyond to determine what caused our dog's death. Of course my family and I are absolutely devastated, but he was tearing up as well. When my parents told him (I'm at school and couldn't be there) that I would be starting vet school next fall, he warned them about how difficult the profession is and mentioned the suicide rate. However, my belief is that somebody has to do this very important job, and if I'm passionate and have the skills to be a veterinarian then I will gladly take the opportunity. Of course there are ups and downs. But I suppose the positives have to keep you going. Our vet helped us raise a beautiful, intelligent, healthy dog that lived an amazing life.
This is my first post on here actually. I'll most likely be attending Oregon :)

I'm in the same boat. He's staying behind to finish out a job, and the plan is that he'll join me in fall 2019. We've been together 4.5 years and lived together for 2.5. On the upside, his mom works for an airline so he'll be able to fly out and visit pretty cheaply. I just don't know yet how often that will be, between my class schedule and his work schedule.

This might be silly, but one of the things I'm most nervous about with us being apart is our dog. The pup is coming with me, and I'm worried about leaving him at home all day alone while I'm in school (right now he comes to work with me, or goes to a daycare really close to our house - he's very spoiled!), and then if I have evening things to do (gym, or nights out or what have you) he's going to be alone then too. I'm sort of thinking of trying to find a roommate who also has a dog, so they can keep each other company, and I could share the burden of someone being home to let them out. But also haven't had a roommate in 2 years other than my SO so I'm kind of nervous about that, too.

I'm super concerned about my 2 y/o lab. I've been working for the past several years so no evening homework/studying and we've always spent at least 2 hours a day outside running around/trail runs/hiking/backpacking trips etc, so I feel you. Not doing roomies, but all of my schools have a universal lunch break hour and apparently many people run home for lunch, so... live close to school if you can?

I'm super concerned about my 2 y/o lab. I've been working for the past several years so no evening homework/studying and we've always spent at least 2 hours a day outside running around/trail runs/hiking/backpacking trips etc, so I feel you. Not doing roomies, but all of my schools have a universal lunch break hour and apparently many people run home for lunch, so... live close to school if you can?
Could you rent a house with a fence and a doggie door? That could help, maybe?

I was thinking that and was all set on Colorado (Tufts backup -- so much green space!) -- but Penn called me back and said come be a Pennwe (and minor details, we'll sweeten the deal by cutting your annual tuition by half), so it's looking mighty hard to say no to Penn now that they're cheaper than my IS... Need to practically live on top of a big park, as Penn is not a "rent a house with a big backyard kind of place..." :confused::confused::confused:

They might work for @staff_wielder 's lab, but mine is a 4.5lb chihuahua mix. No way he's going outside without supervision :(

The schools I've visited have also mentioned long lunch breaks where people can go home to let dogs out. I'm worried it'll limit my social opportunities or lunch seminars or clubs or something. I can't have my cake and eat it too, I guess. But ultimately I'm worried about how big of adjustment it'll be for him, from being with me most of the time to only during lunch and in the evenings, and I won't have much time for him then, either.

Then again, I feel like I have unreasonable expectations for my dog's lifestyle lol. I have to remind myself that most normal people have dogs that stay at home all day. He's really spoiled. But it's still a big change. And then I think about him leaving all his dog friends behind, and how he's going to feel when we pack up that car to drive to a totally new place. He's a rescue, so he's been through a lot of changes already and I want him to have a smooth transition. I'm such a helicopter dog mom, oh my god.

Reactions: 5 users
Have you guys checked into doing something like Rover where you can hire someone to do recurring dog walks and you could get someone to take them out every day? Or finding a prevet?

I was thinking that and was all set on Colorado (Tufts backup -- so much green space!) -- but Penn called me back and said come be a Pennwe (and minor details, we'll sweeten the deal by cutting your annual tuition by half), so it's looking mighty hard to say no to Penn now that they're cheaper than my IS... Need to practically live on top of a big park, as Penn is not a "rent a house with a big backyard kind of place..." :confused::confused::confused:
Ah!!!! Congrats I didn’t realize you had gotten your admission results :)

@ChoopLoops - same. My little dog is spoiled as eff. I have more concern with his social life and emotions than my own. I'm going to find a roommate who is as bad as me and we can share the responsibilities and feel less guilty - ex. you go home one day for lunch, I'll go the next. Mine has major separation anxiety, which is the only reason why he is going to come with me. Netflix running and I'll throw a cat or roommate's animals into the mix - he should be a-okay, right? ;)

They might work for @staff_wielder 's lab, but mine is a 4.5lb chihuahua mix. No way he's going outside without supervision :(

Hahaha! That is a nice manageable size -- not like my 68lber :laugh: She's an american to boot, and if we don't trail run 3x week for a couple of miles with some water retrieves at the river, she's bouncing of the walls! I can barely keep weight on her as well, the metabolism is so high -- for now ;)

The schools I've visited have also mentioned long lunch breaks where people can go home to let dogs out. I'm worried it'll limit my social opportunities or lunch seminars or clubs or something. I can't have my cake and eat it too, I guess. But ultimately I'm worried about how big of adjustment it'll be for him, from being with me most of the time to only during lunch and in the evenings, and I won't have much time for him then, either.

Then again, I feel like I have unreasonable expectations for my dog's lifestyle lol. I have to remind myself that most normal people have dogs that stay at home all day. He's really spoiled. But it's still a big change. And then I think about him leaving all his dog friends behind, and how he's going to feel when we pack up that car to drive to a totally new place. He's a rescue, so he's been through a lot of changes already and I want him to have a smooth transition. I'm such a helicopter dog mom, oh my god.

Nah, you're good! The best type of parent :) It will be a big change but a lot of dogs are very resilient -- I recently moved out of my house with big backyard to an apartment (lease ended and needed a temp place for the next 6 months), and the first week was rough -- all the new sounds, smells, and walk to the park around the corner -- but she's adjusting well -- still gets startled and what not, but got her a chair by the window and she's happy watching outside now. Work is a few minutes away so I currently come home for lunch and breaking up the 8 hour work day like that has worked well. I was very worried about moving, but it honestly wasn't that bad -- you find a way to make it work. He you's kid just the way I see mine as my kid -- have to make it work, no other option, for me, at least. About the lunch seminars and things.... yeah... it will be tough -- people find work arounds -- friends, neighbors, other students, etc to help on those days it seems...
Thinking back to when I picked my school list -- all based on where would my dog be happy, let's be honest -- north, open spaces, water, and cooler weather :lol:

Have you guys checked into doing something like Rover where you can hire someone to do recurring dog walks and you could get someone to take them out every day? Or finding a prevet?
Yeah people in my neighborhood use this a lot! So many options, you can have your pet stay with them or they can stay in your house etc... but I don't know if it's the same rates here as everywhere else -- $40-$60 for overnights and $20 a pop for a walk. I need to see whats going on with that trust fund. Like @cdoconn 's boyfriend -- too many light years away :bullcrap:

Ah!!!! Congrats I didn’t realize you had gotten your admission results :)
Beebs! My favorite low-key wolf -- thanks :) Haven't bit the bullet and committed just yet! At least, now I feel less dumb around the veteran's post MI game (there's your nickel Ski). I'll PM you shortly :)

Another suggestion...think about living with upperclassmen (or even non vet students...). They might be home earlier and you may be able to work out something where you could help each other with dog potty breaks. All schools are different, but here first years have the longest days compared to second and third years...

Yeah people in my neighborhood use this a lot! So many options, you can have your pet stay with them or they can stay in your house etc... but I don't know if it's the same rates here as everywhere else -- $40-$60 for overnights and $20 a pop for a walk. I need to see whats going on with that trust fund. Like @cdoconn 's boyfriend -- too many light years away :bullcrap:
Undergrad prevet it is :rofl:

Yeah, I’m worried about my one year old mutt as well. But I’m looking into houses with big yards and I definitely want to live with upperclassmen since we’ll be on different schedules and they can at least let him out for me if I have a long day. I think it will work out, dogs adjust surprisingly well! He’s my child and idk what I would do without cuddling with him every night, so he’s definitely coming with :)

Hahaha! That is a nice manageable size -- not like my 68lber
This post is reminding me how truly, absurdly large my parents' 7 month old 80 lb dog is.

Another suggestion...think about living with upperclassmen (or even non vet students...). They might be home earlier and you may be able to work out something where you could help each other with dog potty breaks. All schools are different, but here first years have the longest days compared to second and third years...
I will say fourth years will probably have way less time than first years (or extremely variable free time depending on rotation), though, so something to keep in mind when roommate hunting. My roommate is a fourth year and I'm pretty sure last semester I once didn't see her at all for nearly three weeks.

Undergrad prevet it is :rofl:
Does taking care of a veterinary student count as veterinary hours?

This post is reminding me how truly, absurdly large my parents' 7 month old 80 lb dog is.

I will say fourth years will probably have way less time than first years (or extremely variable free time depending on rotation), though, so something to keep in mind when roommate hunting. My roommate is a fourth year and I'm pretty sure last semester I once didn't see her at all for nearly three weeks.

That’s why I specifically mentioned second and third years lol

For whatever reason SDN thinks you quoted me in your post, ****ing weird