Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Found out palpation team is a thing:love:. I have time for one more extracurricular right? :laugh:
ETA: I may have a cow problem and my friends at school only facilitate this behavior...:help:
There's always time for more extracurriculars

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They made us learn all of anatomy....all of it, front limb, hind limb, thorax, abdomen, skull, etc of BOTH large and small animal in 8 weeks.... you guys can do it!!

Reactions: 1 users
I survived! It was actually not too bad.

They also surprisingly gave us the answers right after and I think I got at least a solid B overall! :clap:

AND NOW I DRINK

Reactions: 5 users
They made us learn all of anatomy....all of it, front limb, hind limb, thorax, abdomen, skull, etc of BOTH large and small animal in 8 weeks.... you guys can do it!!
Yikes where did you go to school?

Anatomy would be infinitely easier if dogs were unicellular organisms.

Reactions: 9 users
Yeah! At Cornell, we learn it all in 11 weeks! We do have to take a second anatomy course in the spring but "The Animal Body" is learned in 11 weeks!

Just because I haven't seen them around in a while @staff_wielder Hope all is well at UPenn!
Yo yo yo. Thanks for sending the love my way. I haven't been on in a while, and I randomly decided to check in today -- and you tag me in a post? Radical, man.

It's been busy! Only been 4 weeks, but honestly, it feels like 4 months has gone by. What a change from life before -- I haven't had time to call old friends, or even do regular life stuff like hiking and hobbies etc. I'm used to coming home from work, chilling with Z for an hour or so, and then doing... whatever I want to do. Now it's been class, lab, anatomy, study, play with Z at the park, study, drink beer with vet students, buy groceries, cook, study, eat, study, sleep, & repeat. Throw in a few more "study's" in there. I'm sure things will normalize as we continue to get used to things. Have a few boxes of camping gear and other things to unpack... yeah.. that **** is staying in boxes until Christmas. Not sure how everyone else is feeling, but none of the material has been.... difficult in that it's hard to understand... mostly just the sheer volume of stuff we have to know is impossible to know for the exam. Anatomy -- we've done muscles, nerves, and vessels for the limbs, thorax, and finishing up abdomen this week. Had our first biochem last week, dev bio on monday, and then anatomy written/practical the following week, then histo written/practical after that. I'll be MIA until Halloween at this point :laugh:

@raf2769 's quizlet cards have been awesome for when not in front of my computer. Thank you :love:

What's up with you? How's classes been? How's the adjustment to vet school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have links to quizlets for gross anatomy? I'm trying to find a good study strategy to test myself on all these muscles!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have links to quizlets for gross anatomy? I'm trying to find a good study strategy to test myself on all these muscles!

Check out the University of Minnesota canine dissection videos -- amazing. and they have quizzes etc.
Carnivore Dissection Lab Introductions
Carnivore Muscle Quiz

Also, Colorado has a couple of amazing programs that you can learn and test yourself with the 3D interactive tests. A bunch of us at Penn bought a couple of the licenses and split them around. Check to see if someone in your class has them and is willing to share? Once you download them, they are on your hard drive permanently. If you can't get a hold of them, let me know, and we can figure out a way to get them to you (they're a couple of gigs each).
Veterinary Educational Tools

Yo yo yo. Thanks for sending the love my way. I haven't been on in a while, and I randomly decided to check in today -- and you tag me in a post? Radical, man.

It's been busy! Only been 4 weeks, but honestly, it feels like 4 months has gone by. What a change from life before -- I haven't had time to call old friends, or even do regular life stuff like hiking and hobbies etc. I'm used to coming home from work, chilling with Z for an hour or so, and then doing... whatever I want to do. Now it's been class, lab, anatomy, study, play with Z at the park, study, drink beer with vet students, buy groceries, cook, study, eat, study, sleep, & repeat. Throw in a few more "study's" in there. I'm sure things will normalize as we continue to get used to things. Have a few boxes of camping gear and other things to unpack... yeah.. that **** is staying in boxes until Christmas. Not sure how everyone else is feeling, but none of the material has been.... difficult in that it's hard to understand... mostly just the sheer volume of stuff we have to know is impossible to know for the exam. Anatomy -- we've done muscles, nerves, and vessels for the limbs, thorax, and finishing up abdomen this week. Had our first biochem last week, dev bio on monday, and then anatomy written/practical the following week, then histo written/practical after that. I'll be MIA until Halloween at this point

@raf2769 's quizlet cards have been awesome for when not in front of my computer. Thank you :love:

What's up with you? How's classes been? How's the adjustment to vet school?
It's been good! We are starting week 7 on monday with a histo test lol anatomy and physiology went fine. Like you said time is wierd when you go to vet school on one hand it's really long eventhough in reality it hasn't been that long. Some days school is amazing with all the cool things we get to do. Other times it sucks but overall I have made some amazing friends and it's going well! Plus as wierd as it sounds I think I can say I truly love the school I picked it's such a great environment from the community support of the other classes to even the professors are really great about everything. Make sure to make time for yourself. I promise the world won't end if you take a day off on the weekend and go hike or something fun and dont look at study materials all day.

Crazy how I just managed to tag you and you decided to pop on!

Reactions: 2 users
I like UMN and then VIN. I'm too cheap to pay for CSUs stuff. I even have a previous version of the program form a grad but I never used it. Everyone's different but mostly I used UMN to get down where things were at but really just did my own flash cards/chart and group quizzing and I did fine for all the muscles test. Good luck!

I see you tryin to get additional likes by cross-posting
Idk what you're talking about, the other post has a ~*similar*~ link but totally different content :whistle:

Idk what you're talking about, the other post has a ~*similar*~ link but totally different content :whistle:
tenor.gif

I have tests #5 and #6 of the semester on Monday and Tuesday this week. This first batch of midterms already has me whining about not wanting to study anymore :arghh::help:

Thankfully after this week, we have a small little fall break and then another week before exams pick back up.

I have tests #5 and #6 of the semester on Monday and Tuesday this week. This first batch of midterms already has me whining about not wanting to study anymore :arghh::help:

Thankfully after this week, we have a small little fall break and then another week before exams pick back up.
SAME. My next anatomy exam is only 2.5 weeks away and phys is 2 weeks. I'm so far behind.... the first round of exams is just so draining.

HI GUYS. Go figure that I re-remember this forum exists the night before the anatomy practical that covers both abdomen AND pelvic structures. And its 120 points instead of 80 points like the last three. BUT after this exam tomorrow I have no other tests this week, and then an entire week off for fall break :soexcited:

Just finished Musculoskeletal and did well! I'm at MSU and for anyone not yet familiar, we are in a flipped classroom so the classes are only 3 weeks long. It covers front limb, hind limb, neck, epaxial/hypaxial, action, origin/insertion, phyisiology of muscles, connective tissue, plus palpation of structures on horses and dogs. I'm sure I"m forgetting something but that's the main parts. All in 3 weeks. It went by so fast but I'm excited to move on to the Nervous System now. Almost half way done with the first semester!

:eek:

We get one Friday off, which is better than nothing, but dang! An entire week!

*props self on cane* Weeeeeell, back in the day...

They used'ta do 2 days for fall break and then 2 days for Thanksgiving, but now it's 3 days (Wed. thru Fri.) for TG and just the one day of fall break.

Reactions: 2 users

They used'ta do 2 days for fall break and then 2 days for Thanksgiving, but now it's 3 days (Wed. thru Fri.) for TG and just the one day of fall break.
I would prefer that latter one... We still have 2 and 2, which really sucks for Thanksgiving when home is a 9 hour drive away

ah interesting... I definitely prefer having more days for Thanksgiving. Also idk but I feel like we go more weeks than other schools? We have 16 weeks and then a final exams week, but spring break one of those is SB and doesn’t really count
I would prefer that latter one... We still have 2 and 2, which really sucks for Thanksgiving when home is a 9 hour drive away
Yeah that would make it really hard to visit home.

ah interesting... I definitely prefer having more days for Thanksgiving. Also idk but I feel like we go more weeks than other schools? We have 16 weeks and then a final exams week, but spring break one of those is SB and doesn’t really count

We have 17 total weeks each semester as well. In the fall Labor Day + Fall break + Thanksgiving = 5 days, and in the spring Spring Break = 5 days, so it evens out.

Previous years I have just skipped classes on Wednesday buuuut this year I have surgery in the morning so can't do that. But I should still be able to leave around 2pm maybe.
... we have thanksgiving and the day after, that's all

What is this fall break you speak of?
Do you guys at least get Veterans Day? That's usually the trend I see at schools that don't have Fall Break, they get Veterans Day instead.

Our “fall” break is one day and we don’t get thanksgiving off :dead:

Butttt I finished my first round of tests with all A’s!

You’re at one of the Caribbean schools though, right? That’s why you won’t get that off because they don’t celebrate that down there
Yep. We did get a day off for one of their holidays, which was nice

Do you guys at least get Veterans Day? That's usually the trend I see at schools that don't have Fall Break, they get Veterans Day instead.

UMN doesn't have fall break or Veteran's day off. Just two days for Thanksgiving. I think it's because we have to start after labor day, so they can't afford too many days off without eating into christmas

UMN doesn't have fall break or Veteran's day off. Just two days for Thanksgiving. I think it's because we have to start after labor day, so they can't afford too many days off without eating into christmas
Ah that makes sense. We start 4th week in August.

HI GUYS. Go figure that I re-remember this forum exists the night before the anatomy practical that covers both abdomen AND pelvic structures. And its 120 points instead of 80 points like the last three. BUT after this exam tomorrow I have no other tests this week, and then an entire week off for fall break :soexcited:

Just finished Musculoskeletal and did well! I'm at MSU and for anyone not yet familiar, we are in a flipped classroom so the classes are only 3 weeks long. It covers front limb, hind limb, neck, epaxial/hypaxial, action, origin/insertion, phyisiology of muscles, connective tissue, plus palpation of structures on horses and dogs. I'm sure I"m forgetting something but that's the main parts. All in 3 weeks. It went by so fast but I'm excited to move on to the Nervous System now. Almost half way done with the first semester!

I wish. We just had anatomy written yesterday and the practical is tomorrow: It covers muscles, vessels, nerves of the entire dog body except for the head. What the heck???

Apparently, cuz we at Pennwe, yo :whistle:
It's nice not having to worry about a curve and if you're gonna make it based on that curve anymore. Right now its pass or fail no tricks or curving like undergrad. Exams are fair. I dislike school in general as a whole but I like vet school so far which I thought I was going to hate. Its wierd I cant explain it.

1) I never went into an exam feeling like I knew material because the exams are designed to be very tricky. So after a lot of curved exams, I studied a lot less than I should have bc “well it’s gunna get curved anyways.” Also I never felt good about leaving curved exams. Like I never feel relieved or happy to be done with it. I come away from an exam wondering how I did comparatively to others, and constantly worrying that I did worse than my peers.

2) Even if you get above the curve on one exam, how much better you do depends on the standard deviation. Same goes for bad scores. So even if you did way better than the mean, you won’t get a big grade boost unless you were like super stellar, as in 2+ SD’s above the mean

3) Generally, and this just might’ve been my undergrad culture, but it encouraged people to be less collaborative in orgo and whatnot because if you studied harder, you would theoretically do better than your friends and then get better grades, which would in turn improve your grade more.

So it bit me in the ass in several ways, lol