Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is not what expected.

No matter how many times you hear about it from other people it doesn’t really sink in until it happens to you. I went from being a straight A student to hoping I can pull a 3.0 this semester so I can qualify for applying to scholarships. It is no longer possible to shine in vet school the way I did in undergrad. Everyone is extremely bright. Everyone is very qualified. Everyone is academically exceptional. You had some really cool veterinary experience with sea turtles in the Maldives? No big deal, Everyone has done something extraordinary (research on Narwhals in the arctic, killer whale necropsies, Mountain lion rehabilitation just to name a few). You are no longer special, you are just one speck in the sea of people who are also the cream of the crop. Coming to terms with being okay with what I used to consider mediocre can sometimes be a challenge.

But you know what? I am so incredibly lucky to be surrounded by such extraordinary people. Props to the CSU admissions department for choosing some of the most supportive, non-competitive, kindest people I’ve ever met. I am proud that one day these people will be my colleagues. We spend so much time in the classroom learning from professors, that its easy to overlook how much we have learned from each other. And its easy to forget how hard we all worked to be here, and how many years of our lives we dedicated to having a small chance to one day sit in the seats we are sitting in - a seat that over 2,000 people fought for. Somehow these people I’ve only spent two months with already feel like family, and even when I’m not doing as well as I’d like I find myself cheering them on when they are.

So yeah, some days I want to scream. I’m tired of feeling guilty all the time for doing something other than studying. I bet if I spent every waking moment of my life studying I’d be making straight A’s like in undergrad. But I don’t. Sometimes I watch Netflix. Sometimes I go to the gym. Sometimes I take a nap. And you know what I have instead of a 4.0? My sanity. And that, I’ve discovered, is the secret to vet school; every day, do what you need to do to stay sane. Somehow everything else works out.
This is a really good and really healthy perspective. Remind your colleagues of this too whenever you get a chance because I promise you that a few of your classmates are probably in the position from the first half of your post but are still struggling to arrive at the conclusions in the second half.

By the way, if you ever want to chat about first year or life in general feel free to hit me up :)

Members don't see this ad.

This is not what I expected.

No matter how many times you hear about it from other people it doesn’t really sink in until it happens to you. I went from being a straight A student to hoping I can pull a 3.0 this semester so I can qualify for applying to scholarships. It is no longer possible to shine in vet school the way I did in undergrad. Everyone is extremely bright. Everyone is very qualified. Everyone is academically exceptional. You had some really cool veterinary experience with sea turtles in the Maldives? No big deal, Everyone has done something extraordinary (research on Narwhals in the arctic, killer whale necropsies, Mountain lion rehabilitation just to name a few). You are no longer special, you are just one speck in the sea of people who are also the cream of the crop. Coming to terms with being okay with what I used to consider mediocre can sometimes be a challenge.

But you know what? I am so incredibly lucky to be surrounded by such extraordinary people. Props to the CSU admissions department for choosing some of the most supportive, non-competitive, kindest people I’ve ever met. I am proud that one day these people will be my colleagues. We spend so much time in the classroom learning from professors, that its easy to overlook how much we have learned from each other. And its easy to forget how hard we all worked to be here, and how many years of our lives we dedicated to having a small chance to one day sit in the seats we are sitting in - a seat that over 2,000 people fought for. Somehow these people I’ve only spent two months with already feel like family, and even when I’m not doing as well as I’d like I find myself cheering them on when they are.

So yeah, some days I want to scream. I’m tired of feeling guilty all the time for doing something other than studying. I bet if I spent every waking moment of my life studying I’d be making straight A’s like in undergrad. But I don’t. Sometimes I watch Netflix. Sometimes I go to the gym. Sometimes I take a nap. And you know what I have instead of a 4.0? My sanity. And that, I’ve discovered, is the secret to vet school; every day, do what you need to do to stay sane. Somehow everything else works out.
So much THIS right now. Sometimes I think, what if I had said no to Penn (currently getting my ass handed to me on a plate by anatomy and biochem), and come to CSU. Glad that I'm not the only one feeling this way. It's been an adjustment for sure. Got a week off (just lectures and anatomy 9-5 with no exams :laugh: ) so taking the time to reset and do things a little differently this round. Hang in there on your end -- you're not alone :)

Reactions: 1 users
This is not what I expected.

I don't even pretend like I could be making straight As if all I did was study because I don't think that's the truth.

But yes, I'm struggling with this also. I'm worried that if I don't get good grades, I won't be able to land a residency if I want to. I'm also disheartened by the fact that no matter how well I do, there are always people doing much much better. I'm happy for them, but vet school is also making me feel stupid. And I'm not sure I have ever felt stupid in any academic setting before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even pretend like I could be making straight As if all I did was study because I don't think that's the truth.

But yes, I'm struggling with this also. I'm worried that if I don't get good grades, I won't be able to land a residency if I want to. I'm also disheartened by the fact that no matter how well I do, there are always people doing much much better. I'm happy for them, but vet school is also making me feel stupid. And I'm not sure I have ever felt stupid in any academic setting before.
Not sure how things work at your school -- but our first semester is only some odd 30 credits (only :laugh:), but second year first semester is some 60+ credits and the GPA you get this semester may not necessarily screw you over in the grand scheme of 3 years, you know?

Not sure how things work at your school -- but our first semester is only some odd 30 credits (only :laugh:), but second year first semester is some 60+ credits and the GPA you get this semester may not necessarily screw you over in the grand scheme of 3 years, you know?
I mean my GPA is not to the point of "screwing me over". But I'm not at the top of the class either. I don't understand how you're taking 30-60 credits though. I'm in 18 currently. It looks like the most is 22.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol my school we get NINE grades in our gpa. For all four years. NINE.

I mean my GPA is not to the point of "screwing me over". But I'm not at the top of the class either. I don't understand how you're taking 30-60 credits though. I'm in 18 currently. It looks like the most is 22.

Lol my school we get NINE grades in our gpa. For all four years. NINE.
We don't even get grades! It's pass, marginal, or fail. Yes there are things in place for people who want to do residencies etc to be able to give them a class rank for that process. However, I'm not even sure what "grades" translate into anymore because like physiology we have to get an 80% to pass which is technically only B and A grades but other classes have lower cut offs like 73% for anatomy.

Try not to forget that basically everyone in vet school was use to being the top of the class. It's okay to not get A's. It's okay to not be the top of the class. Everyone in school is smart, and it's really important to try not to compare yourselves to others :) Just try your best and that's all that matters :)

Also, LOR matter WAY more than grades these days when it comes to residencies. Network, go to conferences, shadow clinicians in whatever specialty you're interested, etc. and you'll have plenty of opportunities that will help you out if you want a residency, even if your grades aren't the top :)

Reactions: 3 users
30-60 credits in one semester sounds off. I’m taking 22 credits and I’m in the classroom from sunrise to sunset. I think the credit system all is relative to the program because it would be physically impossible here to take 60 credits in one semester. I’d literally be in the classroom all 24 hours of the day.

Anatomy 11
Histo 5
Dev Bio 3
Biochem 10
ICVM 2
Intro to Comp Med 2

We're in class all day, everyday :bag:

30-60 credits in one semester sounds off. I’m taking 22 credits and I’m in the classroom from sunrise to sunset. I think the credit system all is relative to the program because it would be physically impossible here to take 60 credits in one semester. I’d literally be in the classroom all 24 hours of the day.
There was a thread about it somewhere way back when, but essentially, someone figured out that Penn's credit system is different though the amount of time in class for other schools is really similar. So Penn might call it 30 credits but my school (and possibly yours) called it 18 credits. It's just a different quantification system depending on the school.

Reactions: 6 users
There was a thread about it somewhere way back when, but essentially, someone figured out that Penn's credit system is different though the amount of time in class for other schools is really similar. So Penn might call it 30 credits but my school (and possibly yours) called it 18 credits. It's just a different quantification system depending on the school.
Basically penn just has to be special :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha “At Penn we” ‘s :p

I am truly terrified for my phys midterm. 3 days to learn what is probably the equivalent of 2+ undergrad courses. :help: (Yeah I was procrastinating but a large part is that I had anatomy yesterday and embryology on Monday so I had other studying priorities)

On a happier note, I was "shadowing" in the school ICU last night (I have no emerg experience) and they got swamped enough that I ended up getting to do a lot of hands on stuff. The interns working were awesome and even in the insanity gave lots of teaching opportunities. It's crazy how different a teaching hospital is from a regular clinic. When a dog started seizing me and the other shadow moved to the other side of the room to give everyone space to work, and promptly got a comment that boiled down to "what the heck are you guys doing? You are here to watch and learn, get your butts over here".

Reactions: 2 users
Lol, they are getting a VMD, right?!?! Super special...
@Skimble @staff_wielder

Hahaha I see you throwin' shade, but thass how we do :cool: PennVet reppin' all day.

I am truly terrified for my phys midterm. 3 days to learn what is probably the equivalent of 2+ undergrad courses. :help: (Yeah I was procrastinating but a large part is that I had anatomy yesterday and embryology on Monday so I had other studying priorities)

On a happier note, I was "shadowing" in the school ICU last night (I have no emerg experience) and they got swamped enough that I ended up getting to do a lot of hands on stuff. The interns working were awesome and even in the insanity gave lots of teaching opportunities. It's crazy how different a teaching hospital is from a regular clinic. When a dog started seizing me and the other shadow moved to the other side of the room to give everyone space to work, and promptly got a comment that boiled down to "what the heck are you guys doing? You are here to watch and learn, get your butts over here".

Hahaha get it, girrrrl!! That's awesome! Also, good luck!

Hey guys, just finished my first big final exam!!!!! It was for Block 1, a.k.a. The Animal Body, a 12 week anatomy course!!!! It was a 4 hour laboratory final and a 6 hour written final and I am so exhausted!!!!!!!! But I'M DONE :D Also, the BF is driving out to spend the weekend with me :D ...oh and finally, I GOT A POSITION AT CORNELL TEACHING HOSPITAL'S SA ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today was just freaking amazing!!!!! :biglove:

Reactions: 12 users
Hey guys, just finished my first big final exam!!!!! It was for Block 1, a.k.a. The Animal Body, a 12 week anatomy course!!!! It was a 4 hour laboratory final and a 6 hour written final and I am so exhausted!!!!!!!! But I'M DONE :D Also, the BF is driving out to spend the weekend with me :D ...oh and finally, I GOT A POSITION AT CORNELL TEACHING HOSPITAL'S SA ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today was just freaking amazing!!!!! :biglove:
I hope you didn't have both of those tests today. But thinking about it, that's actually less testing than I have for all of gross anatomy this quarter.

SO HAPPY WE'RE DONE!! :soexcited:
Now to finally celebrate Halloween! lol;)

Seeking advice not sure where else to put this:
I work once to twice a week at a local clinic. I love working, it's a good break from studying for me!
My issue is at my current job I do alot of vet assistant work, which needs to be done but I feel I'm much more qualified than that. I worked as a vet tech for 2 years and even trained other techs the last 6 months of my previous job before vet school. So needless it say its getting VERY DRY only restraining, walking dogs, and doing laundry at my new job. I haven't even had the chance to place a catheter while being at my new job...
I spoke with my boss about this before and she said well I schedule everyone where we need shifts filled (sure). I just dont look forward to going to work anymore because I know I'll be bored and I do want to increase my learning experience. But how can I of they only let me do VA work? Thoughts/opinions much appreciated!

I work once to twice a week at a local clinic. I love working, it's a good break from studying for me!
My issue is at my current job I do alot of vet assistant work, which needs to be done but I feel I'm much more qualified than that. I worked as a vet tech for 2 years and even trained other techs the last 6 months of my previous job before vet school. So needless it say its getting VERY DRY only restraining, walking dogs, and doing laundry at my new job. I haven't even had the chance to place a catheter while being at my new job...
I spoke with my boss about this before and she said well I schedule everyone where we need shifts filled (sure). I just dont look forward to going to work anymore because I know I'll be bored and I do want to increase my learning experience. But how can I of they only let me do VA work? Thoughts/opinions much appreciated!
Where are you working is my question? For example most people who get a job at the vth are often an assistant roles because there are so many people above you learning. Yes we may be qualified but as far as like a teaching hospital they teach and let us do stuff when they can but priority it those above us ie 4th years on clinics.

It also depends on the states laws. Idk about MN but like previously in CO I basically was a tech where as here in WA they must legally be licensed so eventhough I'm in school I'm not a veterinarian yet and I'm not a certified tech so I would be in an assistant role despite my qualifications.

Idk if any of that applies to your situation, but some things to consider why you're doing the work you are doing.

Where are you working is my question? For example most people who get a job at the vth are often an assistant roles because there are so many people above you learning. Yes we may be qualified but as far as like a teaching hospital they teach and let us do stuff when they can but priority it those above us ie 4th years on clinics.

It also depends on the states laws. Idk about MN but like previously in CO I basically was a tech where as here in WA they must legally be licensed so eventhough I'm in school I'm not a veterinarian yet and I'm not a certified tech so I would be in an assistant role despite my qualifications.

Idk if any of that applies to your situation, but some things to consider why you're doing the work you are doing.

In MN you can practice as uncertified unless its AHA certified which this local practice is. I don't work at a teaching hospital. However, for others with my same or less experience level we get to actively participate in the clinic by calling us "Technician Assistants", which is what I offically trained as. Basically you do all the things techs do except set up rads, monitor anesthesia, log controlled substances, and read lab specimens without assistance. I'm just getting stuck with only these VA shifts despite applying and being told I received a job as a vet tech. I wasn't even told about the "tech assistant" thing until I was there for training which I didn't enjoy but I do understand, being that I'm not certified (they could of told me earlier though)

In MN you can practice as uncertified unless its AHA certified which this local practice is. I don't work at a teaching hospital. However, for others with my same or less experience level we get to actively participate in the clinic by calling us "Technician Assistants", which is what I offically trained as. Basically you do all the things techs do except set up rads, monitor anesthesia, log controlled substances, and read lab specimens without assistance. I'm just getting stuck with only these VA shifts despite applying and being told I received a job as a vet tech. I wasn't even told about the "tech assistant" thing until I was there for training which I didn't enjoy but I do understand, being that I'm not certified (they could of told me earlier though)
I see. How long have you been there?

Since August 3rd.
Hmm yeah idk. I'm not very familiar with all the AHA stuff and you've been there long enough pass the whole trial period. I understand the whole putting you where they need you, but I also understand where you're coming from. When you're there are there opportunities for you to be like hey can I cath this patient? Maybe talk to the vet or the techs working at the time you are?

Honestly, if you’ve already talked to your boss regarding your concern and there are no changes, you should just find a new job. You’re a vet student with tech experience, there should be no reason for you to be stuck doing just restraining kennel work, it won’t help you advance your clinical skills.

Honestly, if you’ve already talked to your boss regarding your concern and there are no changes, you should just find a new job. You’re a vet student with tech experience, there should be no reason for you to be stuck doing just restraining kennel work, it won’t help you advance your clinical skills.
I was honestly feeling the same, but I've never had to walk away from a job, learning lessons in everything I guess...

I was honestly feeling the same, but I've never had to walk away from a job, learning lessons in everything I guess...

To play devils advocate.... it sounds like you were hired to fill gaps in the schedule, since you’re only working 1-2 days a week, and your boss said she schedules you where you’re needed. It’s likely if there are tech shifts needing filled, it’s going to go to people with seniority. Which is fair—the vet has known them longer and trusts them more.

Try not to have the “but I’m a Vet student” attitude. It’s not going to get you far ;) Hell I’ve worked at the same practice for four years and I still do kennel shifts and so do the LVT’s, because we don’t have just plain kennel techs because there has been issues in the past with that since the only people wanting to apply to those positions in the area were in high school and not always the most responsible.

Even if you change jobs, it’s likely you’re going to be in a similar position because you’re only working a few days a week. Instead of complaining about only doing kennel work, I’d ask the vet if when it’s slower if you can help the techs with blood draws, labs, etc so you can expand your skills.

One note is not letting me search my PDFs because something is not working with their update that happened about 2 weeks ago. Idk what to do. Should I try to use a new note taking app? I really need the search function. I use it all the time.

One note is not letting me search my PDFs because something is not working with their update that happened about 2 weeks ago. Idk what to do. Should I try to use a new note taking app? I really need the search function. I use it all the time.
Have you tried asking your It department for the cvm? Ours is usually pretty good about helping or at least suggesting alternatives.

Or even tried calling Microsoft to fix the problem?

Last edited:
Have you tried asking your It department for the cvm? Ours is usually pretty good about helping or at least suggesting alternatives.

Or even tried calling Microsoft to fix the problem?
I contacted our IT department today and they will be working on it.

It seems like a lot of people are having this issue so I am sure Microsoft is well aware of it. There are a lot of posts on their online forum about it.

To play devils advocate.... it sounds like you were hired to fill gaps in the schedule, since you’re only working 1-2 days a week, and your boss said she schedules you where you’re needed. It’s likely if there are tech shifts needing filled, it’s going to go to people with seniority. Which is fair—the vet has known them longer and trusts them more.

Try not to have the “but I’m a Vet student” attitude. It’s not going to get you far ;) Hell I’ve worked at the same practice for four years and I still do kennel shifts and so do the LVT’s, because we don’t have just plain kennel techs because there has been issues in the past with that since the only people wanting to apply to those positions in the area were in high school and not always the most responsible.

Even if you change jobs, it’s likely you’re going to be in a similar position because you’re only working a few days a week. Instead of complaining about only doing kennel work, I’d ask the vet if when it’s slower if you can help the techs with blood draws, labs, etc so you can expand your skills.

I think what I was trying to say was that kennel work shouldn’t be the ONLY thing that youre doing at the hospital. If you as a vet student are not practicing hands on clinical skills and doing ONLY kennel cleaning and walking/feeding then honestly its a waste of time. By all means help with kennel work b/c everyone is part of the team and should contribute but if thats the only thing that they are allowing you to do even when you have past experience as a tech then its not worth your time. We’re busy with schoolwork as it is already.

I think what I was trying to say was that kennel work shouldn’t be the ONLY thing that youre doing at the hospital. If you as a vet student are not practicing hands on clinical skills and doing ONLY kennel cleaning and walking/feeding then honestly its a waste of time. By all means help with kennel work b/c everyone is part of the team and should contribute but if thats the only thing that they are allowing you to do even when you have past experience as a tech then its not worth your time. We’re busy with schoolwork as it is already.
Again, it sounds like they were hired to fill openings, as the vet said they’re being scheduled where they’re needed. They were not hired to be able to practice their skills. If the OP doesn’t think it’s worth it to be paid to be a kennel tech, then by all means they should quit. But it’s not likely to be much different other practices when you’re covering shifts and a new employee.

It’s only a waste of time if the paycheck isn’t worth it. ‍♀️

Reactions: 6 users

705ED6DB-F8A9-423E-875E-92B1D868928E.jpeg

Sometimes as vet students we have to take jobs we’re “overqualified” for. Sometimes that means working at a supermarket, as a waitress, or as a kennel tech.

Bluntly put, you’re (and I’m) not a doctor yet, so we can’t act like we deserve anything. Especially if you work the same job as someone who’s been there for years. They have seniority, period. Work hard and prove yourself when possible, or leave.

Reactions: 3 users
View attachment 241469

Sometimes as vet students we have to take jobs we’re “overqualified” for. Sometimes that means working at a supermarket, as a waitress, or as a kennel tech.

Bluntly put, you’re (and I’m) not a doctor yet, so we can’t act like we deserve anything. Especially if you work the same job as someone who’s been there for years. They have seniority, period. Work hard and prove yourself when possible, or leave.
I've also personally found that there are some great skills to work on in clinics that aren't necessarily clinical. Things like leadership, organization and time management, helping to manage staff conflict, developing staff training, designing protocols or disaster scenarios, etc are all very valuable for veterinarians to know how to do and in my experience many clinicians are open to letting you help out with these things.

I had a lot of success just dropping by my boss's office to ask about reasoning on cases or protocols and for me it was almost more valuable to learn about the clinical mindset on cases than it was to work on the cases themselves. This was definitely something I did even as a kennel tech.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Seems my concern has started some weird debate...just to be clear I'm not some egotistical vet student that thinks they DESERVE to do better things, I hate people like that and I dont want that to be known as my personality here...honestly makes me want to vomit.

My true concern is that I was hired, trained, and told I'd have one position and I work a completely different one I happen to find unfullfilling. When do you stop accepting the lies and walk away? My sensitive a** feels like I've been personally attacked

I guess it boils down to - if it bothers you, then you can definitely leave. If you like the paycheck, you have to decide if it’s worth the paycheck or not. You may not be able to find a vet job that does allow you to do what you want, so keep that in mind - if you NEED a job, have a plan.

But yeah, if you aren’t happy (for any reason) then it’s not unreasonable to leave. Just because someone else here thinks it’s fine doesn’t mean you have to!

I like how my shruggy emoji unknowingly turned into a 'female' sign, and I only noticed on my laptop because it doesn't show on the mobile app... weird.

I use that emoji a lot, so it's habit. I guess I should :shrug: instead.

Reactions: 4 users
Seems my concern has started some weird debate...just to be clear I'm not some egotistical vet student that thinks they DESERVE to do better things, I hate people like that and I dont want that to be known as my personality here...honestly makes me want to vomit.

My true concern is that I was hired, trained, and told I'd have one position and I work a completely different one I happen to find unfullfilling. When do you stop accepting the lies and walk away? My sensitive a** feels like I've been personally attacked

Basically though, if you've got bills to pay, and mouths to feed (because ain't nothin' in this world for free) then maybe you should stay for that reason. Otherwise, do what you like. ;)

Does anyone have recommendations on a note taking app that allows you to import PDFs and/or PPTs and edit and search them? OneNote search function isn't working and that is a vital function for my usage. Evernote has too low of a monthly allowance on uploads. I don't mind paying a bit for an app but free obviously preferred. I would like to group notebooks together by classes then add pages for each day's lecture/ppt.

Does anyone have recommendations on a note taking app that allows you to import PDFs and/or PPTs and edit and search them? OneNote search function isn't working and that is a vital function for my usage. Evernote has too low of a monthly allowance on uploads. I don't mind paying a bit for an app but free obviously preferred. I would like to group notebooks together by classes then add pages for each day's lecture/ppt.
Do you have an iPad? Because notability is amazing and will do all that.

I will second the recommendation for notability!!!!
Also on my iPad it can sometimes even pick up my handwriting in the search function which is INCREDIBLY useful.

You can also have two files open at once (split screen) on the iPad version, so I would assume the same for the Mac version.

I will second the recommendation for notability!!!!
Also on my iPad it can sometimes even pick up my handwriting in the search function which is INCREDIBLY useful.
It somehow can even read my insanely messy handwriting :laugh: I was so impressed!

did someone say Notability????

love it. So much. Love it.
particularly, lately I’ve really loved not needing to carry my iPad with me to lab and still have my handwritten notes as well as the audio recording on my phone. It helped so much this summer when my doctor mentors would ask questions and I was able to quickly look it all up, right from my phone (looking at you calcification lecture in pathology or all the many weird fecal parasites in dogs)