Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While we’re on the topic, I got a point taken off for writing “corneal” instead of “cornual” on my anatomy exam :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

While we’re on the topic, I got a point taken off for writing “corneal” instead of “cornual” on my anatomy exam :rolleyes:
That's fair like ilium and ileum :rolleyes:
Side note, is it the end of the semester yet?
I have another 2 weeks of hell comming up after 2 weeks off then it's break, but until then :bang: Also I have not studied since I got home today and really I just want to sleep :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have another 2 weeks of hell comming up after 2 weeks off then it's break, but until then :bang: Also I have not studied since I got home today and really I just want to sleep :)

Thank you for reminding me that spring break is coming. I'm going on vacation with my boyfriend! I am so looking forward to some rest.

Reactions: 4 users
05onfire1_xp-articleLarge-v2.jpg
You can buy this dog as a plush and I've been tempted for so long.

Reactions: 2 users
@Miranda Senft @staff_wielder @RedLauren Haven't heard form any of you in a while. Hope it's all going well!

Yo yo yo. J-chillin'. Enjoying 3rd quarter before 4th quarter swallows us like a black hole. First physio exam last week -- not too shabby. Anatomy final written/practical next week on the dog/horse/goat head, heart, spinal chord so spending some time in the lab. Other than that, catching up on life stuff and enjoying some activities in the city and catching a few beers here and there at the local bottle shop. Does anyone have an alpha-psi at their school and is it chill? What's SDN's take on the frat?

@MixedAnimals77 what's good with you?

I checked a horse’s perineum today and it is a smell I will never forget.

Goochy-mane!! I need to work on that one.... :thinking:

Also -- any one else apply for the NIH-BI program???

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm only slightly bitter that I missed half a point on my neuro midterm for a nomenclature issue that involved not specifically saying what my answer was. I got it correct but didn't write one word that would have specified what I was talking about, even though the question was worded in a way that implied the answer would fit under that category if that vagueness makes any sense. She wants us to get used to being super specific about everything, e.g. not just saying "I need some dex" since that could be misinterpreted. It's a great lesson, but so frustrating!!!!
She took points off because I said "palpebral reflex" instead of "palpebral reflex test" when the question was literally "what test is this?":rage:

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That seems a little extreme if you ask me...
I made the mistake of telling our professor that I didn't agree with it so she told me that it's her class and she makes the rules. Which is true but also not very cool....

Don't have one that I've heard of at Penn, even though it was started at Penn.

Apparently a lot of the other chapters are smaller at ~40 members. We have a monster chapter of 114.

I'm so ready to be a veterinarian guys!!! I know I basically don't even know anything at this point but school is so exhausting! It's not even a demanding semester but I'm just so tired :( I love my job I'm just worried that I'm being "spoiled" by it. I get to be in the thick of the action and then have to go back to class. I know that I need to actually learn stuff I'm just tired :(

I'm so ready to be a veterinarian guys!!! I know I basically don't even know anything at this point but school is so exhausting! It's not even a demanding semester but I'm just so tired :( I love my job I'm just worried that I'm being "spoiled" by it. I get to be in the thick of the action and then have to go back to class. I know that I need to actually learn stuff I'm just tired :(
Just gotta remember to take days for yourself. Those that don't suffer the entire four years are the ones who know when they can just take a break and study when the brain is ready to receive information. Trying to force it all the time is what kills the soul even more in my opinion.

Reactions: 8 users
Just gotta remember to take days for yourself. Those that don't suffer the entire four years are the ones who know when they can just take a break and study when the brain is ready to receive information. Trying to force it all the time is what kills the soul even more in my opinion.
Second this. If you keep your nose to the grindstone all the time, you will take your face off

Second this. If you keep your nose to the grindstone all the time, you will take your face off
My problem is that I take too many breaks. Unfortunately, I can't get my butt into gear when I need to. I will just sit and watch youtube all afternoon after class and then I feel guilty which makes me feel worse at the end of the day and then I'm able to study for a bit but not enough to produce a good grade. I've been scheduling my life by the half hour and trying to stick to it. My breaks just become so much longer than intended :(

My problem is that I take too many breaks. Unfortunately, I can't get my butt into gear when I need to. I will just sit and watch youtube all afternoon after class and then I feel guilty which makes me feel worse at the end of the day and then I'm able to study for a bit but not enough to produce a good grade. I've been scheduling my life by the half hour and trying to stick to it. My breaks just become so much longer than intended :(
Have you ever tried the pomodoro technique? I have similar problems and find that having a timer set for my breaks helps a lot with my productivity

Timer - E.ggTimer

Pomodoro Technique - Wikipedia

You need to get a better feel for when you can take in more information in a shorter amount of time. I ended up having to skip class because my cram time was generally around 10AM-2PM. Sometimes it would switch. I think being very in tune with yourself is the key to school period. Don't feel guilty when you just can't. But you have to find your window and stick to it when you find it. It will switch around likely as nothing is permanent, but the more you get a feel for when that time can be made up, the better your quality of life will be. But yes, there is still an element of discipline. Life will always need some of that be it school, exercise, or actually going to work when you are supposed to. Otherwise, we would all call out sick every day. haha

You need to get a better feel for when you can take in more information in a shorter amount of time. I ended up having to skip class because my cram time was generally around 10AM-2PM. Sometimes it would switch. I think being very in tune with yourself is the key to school period. Don't feel guilty when you just can't. But you have to find your window and stick to it when you find it. It will switch around likely as nothing is permanent, but the more you get a feel for when that time can be made up, the better your quality of life will be. But yes, there is still an element of discipline. Life will always need some of that be it school, exercise, or actually going to work when you are supposed to. Otherwise, we would all call out sick every day. haha
Thanks for the advice lupin!!! I knew what I was in for with school it's just the actual execution that leaves something to be desired :)

Have you ever tried the pomodoro technique? I have similar problems and find that having a timer set for my breaks helps a lot with my productivity

Timer - E.ggTimer

Pomodoro Technique - Wikipedia
By the way, there is an app for your phone that is based on this as well that is called Forest. You plant a seed at the beginning of your "work" time and if you use your phone at all during that time frame, you will kill the tree. It keeps track of the trees you plant over time, so you end up building a little forest the more you use it

Reactions: 5 users
By the way, there is an app for your phone that is based on this as well that is called Forest. You plant a seed at the beginning of your "work" time and if you use your phone at all during that time frame, you will kill the tree. It keeps track of the trees you plant over time, so you end up building a little forest the more you use it
I haven't had to use mine since December (when I had a ton of stuff to finish for my MPH lol), but here is an example of what a forest looks like
Screenshot_20190216-202853_Forest.jpg

I don't remember how to remove that bush I killed. I haven't tried lol

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the advice lupin!!! I knew what I was in for with school it's just the actual execution that leaves something to be desired :)
School goes by fast at least is the most I can offer you otherwise. And as long as you take not knowing things and being wrong as an opportunity to learn during clinics, hopefully you will leave school mostly with the feeling of welp, that wasn't too bad but not too sad it's over either. lol

Thank you thank you!!!! I have to try this!!!! :love:
I have very similar problems with switching into gear and staying there, so I sympathize. Hopefully these help - they've been great for me when I just can't get it together for school. I'm the sort of person who could feel completely comfortable not even looking over the material until an hour before the exam, so it's hard for me to motivate myself sometimes

I’m guilty of this as well. In undergrad, I would schedule things out so I never procrastinated and actually was prepared well for exams. In vet school? I tried. Really tried. But I just can’t do that anymore. I’ve beaten myself up so much for not studying enough and not following my schedule and taking most nights off of school. And I’m just done doing it. So my compromise is that I’m going to really really focus during class (when I can) and study when I really need to (ie before exams). A lot of my class is feeling very fatigued and having mental health issues this semester because we’ve all been able to keep up for the most part up until now, but now it’s just impossible.

I’m guilty of this as well. In undergrad, I would schedule things out so I never procrastinated and actually was prepared well for exams. In vet school? I tried. Really tried. But I just can’t do that anymore. I’ve beaten myself up so much for not studying enough and not following my schedule and taking most nights off of school. And I’m just done doing it. So my compromise is that I’m going to really really focus during class (when I can) and study when I really need to (ie before exams). A lot of my class is feeling very fatigued and having mental health issues this semester because we’ve all been able to keep up for the most part up until now, but now it’s just impossible.
If you can find the clues to what your professors like to test on that helps. I am not actually that smart in my opinion, but what I can do is read people. I could read my professors and get a good feel of what they found to be mostly important. The small stuff that meant an A... well .. if I had time sure. Otherwise. I kept the good stuff that has stuck with me.

If you can find the clues to what your professors like to test on that helps. I am not actually that smart in my opinion, but what I can do is read people. I could read my professors and get a good feel of what they found to be mostly important. The small stuff that meant an A... well .. if I had time sure. Otherwise. I kept the good stuff that has stuck with me.
100% agree with this. I think I tend to do pretty well because I am pretty good about deducing what they will ask us about and focusing more on that then the extraneous info. It's worked pretty well for me but some profs are very hard to do this with. The way I see it, studying smart is just as important is studying hard, if that makes sense.

Maybe it's me being a more type B personality, maybe it's our pass fail system- I for sure and I think most of my class has been way more relaxed this semester. As long as we pass we become DVMs and I think as long as you get the basis and are willing to learn as much as possible in the end it will be ok. Juggling the 3 exams in one week lead to undergrad habits so we are trying to be better this round of exams. Hoping motivation will return after summer break when I've had a true recharge-9mo out of school and going back was a blessing to my study habits.

On another note I got to neuter kitties for the first time today :biglove:

Maybe it's me being a more type B personality, maybe it's our pass fail system- I for sure and I think most of my class has been way more relaxed this semester. As long as we pass we become DVMs and I think as long as you get the basis and are willing to learn as much as possible in the end it will be ok. Juggling the 3 exams in one week lead to undergrad habits so we are trying to be better this round of exams. Hoping motivation will return after summer break when I've had a true recharge-9mo out of school and going back was a blessing to my study habits.

On another note I got to neuter kitties for the first time today :biglove:
Neuters are so satisfying. Spays can go either way. lol

Ugh petty rant. So they redid the neuro course since they cut a faculty position and this is the first time they are doing it this way with new instructors-ok fine. I get it, things are going to be rough and nothing is going to be perfect. I feel fairly tolerable about it all. The course director is at the USU campus-ok fine. For their neuro course they do the flipped classroom-ok I really hate that style but fine. They will randomly send out worksheets for us to do on a whim-I take issue with it but fine whatever. What is NOT ok is having questions on the worksheet and the answer is neither in the powerpoint OR the book we are supposed to use for this assignment specifically and no supplements for that specific question. I'm sorry but like I'm not a genie. Like am I supposed to pull this answer out of my *** ???? because google does a poor job explaining it. Sorry just getting very frustrated with this course anymore..

Last edited:
Ugh petty rant. So they redid the neuro course since they cut a faculty position and this is the first time they are doing it this way with new instructors-ok fine. I get it, things are going to be rough and nothing is going to be perfect. I feel fairly tolerable about it all. The course director is at the USU campus-ok fine. For their neuro course they do the flipped classroom-ok I really hate that style but fine. They will randomly send out worksheets for us to do on a whim-I take issue with it but fine whatever. What is NOT ok is having questions on the worksheet and the answer is neither in the powerpoint OR the book we are supposed to use for this assignment specifically and no supplements for that specific question. I'm sorry but like I'm not a genie. Like am I supposed to pull this answer out of my *** ???? because google does a poor job explaining it. Sorry just getting very frustrated with this course anymore..
I relate to this on a spiritual level. Our neuro class involves doing lots of homework on material that we don't cover until a week later and the answers are never in the provided materials. It's interesting material but that type of homework assignment induces such a massive level of frustration that it dissuades anyone from ever wanting to pursue neurology.

That's so cute!

And if anyone else is like me and would just goof off on your computer instead of being on your phone, there's a Google Chrome extension called StayFocusd that I use during finals week or other times when I have a lot I need to get done. You can set certain blocked sites (Facebook, YouTube, SDN, etc.) and either allow yourself only a certain amount of time per day on those sites, or block them entirely for a set amount of time. If you're really desperate you can set it to block ALL websites, just beware there's no way to cancel it before the time is up if you realize you need to access something like email.

By the way, I realized that the website I actually prefer to do my pomodoro countdowns on is Tomato Timer

it'll play a little alarm when you switch between work/breaks and also lets you set how long you'd like each to last

Any tips for studying neuro? We have only 2 exams in it and their objectives list is not helpful what so ever and the class is currently poorly organized. Feeling like starting to look at my plan B option of dropping out and becomming a pilot at this point...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

By the way, I realized that the website I actually prefer to do my pomodoro countdowns on is Tomato Timer

it'll play a little alarm when you switch between work/breaks and also lets you set how long you'd like each to last
I use that one too!

Any tips for studying neuro? We have only 2 exams in it and their objectives list is not helpful what so ever and the class is currently poorly organized. Feeling like starting to look at my plan B option of dropping out and becomming a pilot at this point...:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Depends on what you're doing in neuro! Is it neuro phys or more clinical?

Sooo I was just walking to my car on campus and a crow LANDED ON MY HEAD. I freaked out and got it off, but the smug little bastard just landed on a bench right next to me and stared at me. Guys, I think my lazy, tired, I-had-a-path-exam-this-morning top knot may have looked like a dead animal. And that is an excellent representation of self-care in vet school. Hope all of your semesters are going well! <3

Reactions: 20 users