Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 3 users
I have, actually. In my defense, when I see a good looking dog snout I look past all other features. Forgive me for my distraction with dogs :)

I'm in the same boat. He's staying behind to finish out a job, and the plan is that he'll join me in fall 2019. We've been together 4.5 years and lived together for 2.5. On the upside, his mom works for an airline so he'll be able to fly out and visit pretty cheaply. I just don't know yet how often that will be, between my class schedule and his work schedule.

This might be silly, but one of the things I'm most nervous about with us being apart is our dog. The pup is coming with me, and I'm worried about leaving him at home all day alone while I'm in school (right now he comes to work with me, or goes to a daycare really close to our house - he's very spoiled!), and then if I have evening things to do (gym, or nights out or what have you) he's going to be alone then too. I'm sort of thinking of trying to find a roommate who also has a dog, so they can keep each other company, and I could share the burden of someone being home to let them out. But also haven't had a roommate in 2 years other than my SO so I'm kind of nervous about that, too.

You can always foster dogs for local rescues... Extra pal for your pup and you get to help out a doggo in need. :)

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who have lived in cold/snowy places, how important is covered parking when considering a place to live? (Will be attending Ohio State)
Thanks!
-Southern california person ;)

Nice, but not necessary.... Lived in Chicago for 2 years without covered parking. Invest in some good snow removal stuff and give yourself 10-15 extra minutes in the morning. (And don't forget to lift up your windshield wipers so they don't freeze to the windshield!)

We have a snow removal thing that has an extendable handle, brush on one side, squeegee on the other, and an ice scraper on the other end - it works really well. I think my husband hit the cars with a leaf blower sometimes too :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
I miss flyball soooo much (haven't had any luck finding the scene in Chicago - it must exist here but every thing I've found was last updated in like 2007). My dog is a lab/husky mix and he does (did :() really well, there really are all types in flyball. There were labs, terrier mixes, and a couple cocker spaniels on our old team (and in one of our classes there was a pomeranian! - eventually stopped because wasn't big enough to trigger the box to shoot the ball). Don't rule it out based on breed, if nothing else it's just fun to do :D

If you drive just over the border in Wisconsin there is a lady who sets up a lure course on her farm on the weekend. Not exactly flyball, but my dogs effin LOVED stopping at that lady's house when we lived in Chicago. :laugh:

You can always foster dogs for local rescues... Extra pal for your pup and you get to help out a doggo in need. :)

So...I should just get another dog :angelic: My first one is a foster failure, you know :rolleyes:

And TBH I *had* been considering a 2nd dog as a possible option. Just wasn't sure if it would improve the situation or I'd just end up with two dogs not getting enough attention. Plus we might end up with my cousin's cat, who is currently living in a single room in her house because her husband doesn't like fur everywhere :sour: And I've got two bunnies. SO MANY ANIMALS EVERYWHERE.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So...I should just get another dog :angelic: My first one is a foster failure, you know :rolleyes:

And TBH I *had* been considering a 2nd dog as a possible option. Just wasn't sure if it would improve the situation or I'd just end up with two dogs not getting enough attention. Plus we might end up with my cousin's cat, who is currently living in a single room in her house because her husband doesn't like fur everywhere :sour: And I've got two bunnies. SO MANY ANIMALS EVERYWHERE.

Not sure you need to worry about more - I would imagine in vet school we somehow accumulate more here and there. So far I've got you beat. My house right now: 4 dogs, 4 cats, 2 stray cats in and out of the garage, 2 turtles, 1 guinea, fish. I love my madhouse :)

Not sure you need to worry about more - I would imagine in vet school we somehow accumulate more here and there. So far I've got you beat. My house right now: 4 dogs, 4 cats, 2 stray cats in and out of the garage, 2 turtles, 1 guinea, fish. I love my madhouse :)

Ah. Well I didn't mention the 3 rats, hamster, and beta. But in terms of animal care I feel like they're negligible :p But, 4 dogs AND 4 cats? Dang man. #goals :love:

#scienceteacher, more like

Mine's a foster fail! I didn't even know I liked small dogs. And he's the SMALLEST dog. When my SO first saw him, he said "that's not a dog, that's an ant"
But I swear he like imprinted on me or something. The first few weeks I had him, when I wasn't around he would curl up inside my slipper :love: And he hides behind me when I drop him off at dog daycare. He likes it there, he just would rather be with me :laugh:

If only I could find a ball small enough for mine's mouth :laugh:
My SO has wanted a small dog just because we are so pressed for size in our tiny apartment. We fostered what they said was a chi mix, but he almost seemed like a puggle but much smaller so no idea what he all was lol. He was recovering from a femur fracture. He was so lovely! He had an adoption in pretty quick which I think was for the best.

I brought Tobias to the clinic today and he seemed to have a ball! He kept getting tons of people to pet him behind the baby gate. But one of my coworkers was all "we are giving you so many treats we will put 10 pounds on you". I was all uh no please do not. It's kind of annoying that everyone always thinks sighthounds are emaciated when that's how they are supposed to look! I guess I kind of relate to them because I am super thin and my ribs kinda stick out like theirs :p lol. I was happy to get him a nexgard considering I had to pull 5 ticks off of him on Sunday. Ticks really give me the heeby geebies because they weren't an issue at all where I grew up. They are freaky. Wow sorry for the long ramble...!

I think Facebook mutual friends may have been the culprit...

Basically with the network we have once you friend 1 SDNer you know the identities of about 30. :laugh:

That awkward moment when you know who @finnickthedog because she said she was at your interview but you don’t want to be a big creep and add her on FB cause she doesn’t know you

Edit: i mean she might but i don’t think so lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
That awkward moment when you know who @finnickthedog because she said she was at your interview but you don’t want to be a big creep and add her on FB cause she doesn’t know you

I mean, I would be 100% lying if I said I didn’t go and try to find you on Facebook using info from your email address....

Actually met an SDN'er during my interview too
Since then I've found a few from mutual FB groups and from conversations with them. Surprisingly a small world!

Baha. I would definitely know who you are. I mean, we have mutual friends but what is creepy is that you never showed up in people I may know until I actually talked to you on SDN. Facebook knows man.... facebook knows....

Reactions: 4 users
Actually met an SDN'er during my interview too
Since then I've found a few from mutual FB groups and from conversations with them. Surprisingly a small world!

I’ve seen a few SDN’er on mutual Facebook pages too especially the APVMA page. They even started popping up on Instagram because of the hashtags I follow. Super small world

My 2nd dog was an unexpected addition right before Thanksgiving. I told myself I would NEVER get a puppy and somehow ended up with an 8 week old whippet. Look how that turned out. :laugh:

Baha. I would definitely know who you are. I mean, we have mutual friends but what is creepy is that you never showed up in people I may know until I actually talked to you on SDN. Facebook knows man.... facebook knows....

That’s pretty bad! Lol i think it’s like 6 mutual friends as of yesterday when you popped up

So I just declined one of my offers and I’m feeling quite sad :( it was my first choice but most expensive so I know I made the right decision. Still sucks though!

So I just declined one of my offers and I’m feeling quite sad :( it was my first choice but most expensive so I know I made the right decision. Still sucks though!
You’re still going to get a great education, it’ll just be less debt for you in the end!!! Sorry you had to decline your first choice :(

Reactions: 5 users
You’re still going to get a great education, it’ll just be less debt for you in the end!!! Sorry you had to decline your first choice :(

Thanks, you’re definitely right :) it makes me happy that someone else will get my seat though!!

Cannot believe I am*~finally~* posting in here! Accepted IS to A&M today !

Reactions: 13 users
Cannot believe I am*~finally~* posting in here! Accepted IS to A&M today !
Congrats! Are you an equestrian (looking at your pro pic)? Do you plan on trying to keep riding in vet school? I know I would legit go crazy without riding so I’m really hoping to find the time haha

Congrats! Are you an equestrian (looking at your pro pic)? Do you plan on trying to keep riding in vet school? I know I would legit go crazy without riding so I’m really hoping to find the time haha

Used to be :( Unfortunately my horse hurt herself my junior year of undergrad and is now a broodmare. Thennnn my trainer moved too far away from campus for it to be practical time-wise for me to keep leasing the gelding (pictured) so I decided I would take a few years off for vet school. But I definitely want to get back into it when I'm done. I know several people who had and currently had horses during vet school and they were able to do a little riding when time allowed as stress relief but definitely no time to show etc

So I know I'm a bit late to the party but the schools I applied to are also late to notify. I currently have two acceptances but am waitlisted at my #1 school and I'm not sure what to do. I don't think the waitlist will move very much the school tends to overaccept but I hate to give up the waitlist seat that may become real. Never thought I'd be in this lucky position however and be able to choose no matter what my choice. Congrats to all!

So I know I'm a bit late to the party but the schools I applied to are also late to notify. I currently have two acceptances but am waitlisted at my #1 school and I'm not sure what to do. I don't think the waitlist will move very much the school tends to overaccept but I hate to give up the waitlist seat that may become real. Never thought I'd be in this lucky position however and be able to choose no matter what my choice. Congrats to all!
Is the #1 school also cheaper or similarly priced as whichever you’d pick out if the two acceptances? Or is it a loooot more per year??

What some people do is that they accept the acceptance to the next best school and pay the deposit. They also accept the waitlist spot. If the spot opens up on the waitlist, they accept it, pay that deposit and go to that school. You’ll lose your original deposit, but you’ll be able to keep an acceptance while keeping your spot on the wait list. Keep in mind, you need to tell the school you originally accepted that you’re not going there anymore. Don’t just not show up (it’s happened before). :laugh:

You are not required to choose a school until April 15th (it’s like our signing day). Some schools will send out updates for waiting list before then, but for the most part, it’s after

Is the #1 school also cheaper or similarly priced as whichever you’d pick out if the two acceptances? Or is it a loooot more per year??
Currently I've only been accepted OOS for all three schools so tuition and costs are very similar, though I would definitely be eligible for IS tuition at my #1 choice by year 2. So overall my waitlist #1 school would be cheaper in the long run.

Currently I've only been accepted OOS for all three schools so tuition and costs are very similar, though I would definitely be eligible for IS tuition at my #1 choice by year 2. So overall my waitlist #1 school would be cheaper in the long run.
You have quite a while to decide. I'd stay on your waitlist, and meanwhile think about which of the other two schools you would accept if you didn't get off the waitlist.

If the deadline comes around and you still haven't heard about waitlist movement, I'd go ahead and accept your spot at one of the schools where you've got your acceptance, and then you just have to decide how long you can hold onto that waitlist spot before you need to start preparing for life at the other school - basically at what point in the process would it be too late to switch.

I’d definitely accept one of the spots before the deadline and hope that you get off the waitlist for your #1 that you’d be able to get IS tuition after the first year. You’d lose the deposit from the first school if you got into the #1, but unless you want to risk having to apply again (and possibly not getting in anywhere next cycle) it’d probably be worth it in the long run with the tuition savings. People do that all the time, just make sure to turn down the initial acceptance if you were to get into your #1. You’d just have to decide at what point you’d want to move on if you don’t hear about the waitlist for a while.

You have quite a while to decide. I'd stay on your waitlist, and meanwhile think about which of the other two schools you would accept if you didn't get off the waitlist.

If the deadline comes around and you still haven't heard about waitlist movement, I'd go ahead and accept your spot at one of the schools where you've got your acceptance, and then you just have to decide how long you can hold onto that waitlist spot before you need to start preparing for life at the other school - basically at what point in the process would it be too late to switch.
As an added note on the last part...when I deferred they called someone in off the waitlist, and that was two weeks before classes started. I don't think she had a spot at another school, but that's just an example of how late in the process waitlist things can happen.

I also had someone who was initially in my class who got called off the waitlist for her instate sometime in June, and I believe someone was then called in to take her spot as well. So these things do happen!

ADOPT ALL THE ANIMALS!!!!

The good thing about fosters is you don't have to feel as guilty - living with you, even if you are busy, is wayyyy better than being in a shelter.

As an added note on the last part...when I deferred they called someone in off the waitlist, and that was two weeks before classes started. I don't think she had a spot at another school, but that's just an example of how late in the process waitlist things can happen.

I also had someone who was initially in my class who got called off the waitlist for her instate sometime in June, and I believe someone was then called in to take her spot as well. So these things do happen!

We were told by the admissions staff at VMCVM that they called somebody on the first day of mandatory orientation last year... Whoever accepted that seat had to get there asap to take it (they made it in less than 48 hours, by the sounds of it)...

Lol, so is anyone else kind of struggling this semester? Like, I did my time and worked my butt off and idk, maybe its my fault for assuming that after getting into vet school I'd feel so much better and less stressed about classes. But everything's still stressful af and I'm burning out and I just want a break for once

You should wait and adopt your first spay/neuter! I hear a lot of vet students do that .

Lol, so is anyone else kind of struggling this semester? Like, I did my time and worked my butt off and idk, maybe its my fault for assuming that after getting into vet school I'd feel so much better and less stressed about classes. But everything's still stressful af and I'm burning out and I just want a break for once

Yessss. My struggle is that I’ve worked so hard for all A’s the past couple years and now I would like to settle for B’s but I’m such a perfectionist I just can’t do it so I’m stressed about whether or not I should stress lol

Yessss. My struggle is that I’ve worked so hard for all A’s the past couple years and now I would like to settle for B’s but I’m such a perfectionist I just can’t do it so I’m stressed about whether or not I should stress lol
This sums it up so well lol I have a test Thursday and this past week I was planning on winging it because who really cares anymore and then today my achiever mindset kicked in and now I’m stressed despite not needing to be stressed.... lol

This sums it up so well lol I have a test Thursday and this past week I was planning on winging it because who really cares anymore and then today my achiever mindset kicked in and now I’m stressed despite not needing to be stressed.... lol

Exactly how I feel about physics and physiology :rolleyes:

I think quarters are worse in this case because I have finals in a week and a half, then I have to get through a whole new term and another round of finals:dead: and a real break feels so far away

I think quarters are worse in this case because I have finals in a week and a half, then I have to get through a whole new term and another round of finals:dead: and a real break feels so far away
See I miss quarters. Even though it was only a week off between Winter and Spring quarter, it meant I had less classes at a time :p

See I miss quarters. Even though it was only a week off between Winter and Spring quarter, it meant I had less classes at a time :p
Oh I definitely think I prefer quarters in general, just the feeling of burnout at this point in the year seems worse because it’s hard to even start off strong at the start of spring quarter haha