Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think spelling is important for a few things such as ilium vs ileum or mydriasis vs myiasis but not for much more

That said, I'm a very particular person and won't stand for my own misspellings
Sure, but even these in context are relatively easy to figure out. I thought about mentioning ileum vs ilium but couldn't think of a way to write about anything related to them in the record where it was easy to confuse the two

I can see mydriasis vs myiasis to some degree

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure, but even these in context are relatively easy to figure out. I thought about mentioning ileum vs ilium but couldn't think of a way to write about anything related to them in the record where it was easy to confuse the two

I can see mydriasis vs myiasis to some degree
A clinical pathologist would prefer you get ileum and ilium correct on your histories...
For real though, as a resident I had a mass that was from the ileum. And they spelled it correctly for the GI tract but for some reason my brain thought it was a bone mass from the ilium. I even doubled down when my faculty mentor was like “are you sure it isn’t intestinal?”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
We have 4 two-week blocks for vacation. I actively tried to schedule those and my off campus electives (8 two-week blocks) as evenly spread out as possible. Granted, COVID ruined that for the most part. But my original schedule was dang near perfect for me being in Illinois a max of 3 months at a time.

My pre-COVID schedule was so perfect :(

But at least we've really learned how to be adaptable this year.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How does scheduling work at your school? Do you get to block off time for vacation or are you just stuck with whatever they throw at you (pending requests for changes)?
We have 4- 2 week blocks of vacation and 1 week of holiday on either new years or christmas.
We put preferences in to a computer thingy it spits out thing but you really only get to preference like 10 rotations because if you dont get it the time you want then it wont give it to you at all so then you need to preference it another time so what is like 30 some spaces doesnt come out to very much. Then the 4th year schedule person goes in and makes sure every rotation has mins and maxes correctly and everyone gets a suprise mandatory rotation on less popular rotations aka like ortho.
We only get to preference 2 of the vacation blocks which I got but they stuck the other 2 like right next to them. Hoping I did enough magic that by moving like 8 rotations around my vacation will now be spread more appropriately

We have 23 blocks that need to be done (13 core rotations, 7 pathway rotations (e.g., SA/Exotics, LA, Mixed, etc.), and 3 distribution/elective rotations (can repeat a rotation you have interest in, take something that's not on core or pathway like Dentistry, etc.)). And then we have 2 blocks off (I think only 1 can be a 3 week block - we only have 2 of them). You can submit up to 3 preferences (e.g., I want this block off for a wedding or I want Derm in the NAVLE test window, etc.). If you do an opportunity block (external rotation) during the winter break of 3rd year (so the one that just ended) that counts as a rotation so you can actually take an extra block off if you want. And when schedules are released you can request up to 3 changes (granted you are not the "minimum" student (I think that's the term?) on the rotation you're leaving which means if you leave then the rotation doesn't have the minimum students; and the rotation you want isn't full that time). It's pretty comprehensive imo. And you can make a few pathway revisions as long as they're approved by the pathway advisor. For example, let's say you didn't want to take Anesthesia twice (core and on pathway) and you're really interested in radiology (and you don't have space in your elective slots), if your pathway advisor is cool with it, you can just swap it :)
Hopefully our schedules will get released in the next week! I'm super pumped :) it will make it all feel real!!!

4th year schedule person goes in and makes sure every rotation has mins and maxes correctly
This is something I wish could be improved upon at my school. Some rotations absolutely don't have enough or have too many students.

This is something I wish could be improved upon at my school. Some rotations absolutely don't have enough or have too many students.
I'm sure it has its benefits, but of course I see the downfalls by everyone getting voluntold a rotation that most people are usually less than thrilled with.

Secondary note-technology hates me. Apparently me and another person tried signing up for the same time slot. Excel doesn't show where I has put in my entry. So that's fun. My classmates are great and were like yeah lets totally share the time-just hoping the person holding the hours is cool with it otherwise it's 2 weeks until I can get an appointment which will pry ruin what I currently have planned :(

I'm sure it has its benefits, but of course I see the downfalls by everyone getting voluntold a rotation that most people are usually less than thrilled with.
Oh no, this aspect sucks. I was talking about specifically making sure specific rotations (namely soft tissue, ortho, and internal med) have an appropriate amount of students.

A clinical pathologist would prefer you get ileum and ilium correct on your histories...
For real though, as a resident I had a mass that was from the ileum. And they spelled it correctly for the GI tract but for some reason my brain thought it was a bone mass from the ilium. I even doubled down when my faculty mentor was like “are you sure it is intestinal?”.
Oh man submitting samples is somewhere I always try to be meticulous because y'all get the absolute ****tiest case histories ever and are then asked to interpret everything in the whole world from it

For breaks we get 2- 2wk long breaks from March 2021-May 2022. We have a 1 wk break between winter quarter and clinics (first week of March), which is nice. But since our rotations are done via a "spin" and you don't always get the vacation block you request, it can lead to some students having really weird breaks.

For the most part my schedule is done! I just have some rotations in 2022 that are up in the air pending COVID status by then. Hopefully we have our s**t together by then.

Random note, anyone get the covid vax yet? I'm due for my second one next week and I hear that tends to knock people down for a few days.

Random note, anyone get the covid vax yet? I'm due for my second one next week and I hear that tends to knock people down for a few days.
WA is behind the curve and vets are who knows where despite new cdc guidance for us so who knows when I'll get mine but SO got his full series-pfizer. First one was totally fine just a sore arm. Second one knocked him out-fever,chills,nausea,headace,body and joint pain, small cough all started about 18hrs post vax was better ~15hrs after onset. Everything came in waves for him. He said his headache and slight body pain lingered a few days after. His coworker was totally fine on the other hand minus arm soreness.

• Care
WA is behind the curve and vets are who knows where despite new cdc guidance for us so who knows when I'll get mine but SO got his full series-pfizer. First one was totally fine just a sore arm. Second one knocked him out-fever,chills,nausea,headace,body and joint pain, small cough all started about 18hrs post vax was better ~15hrs after onset. Everything came in waves for him. He said his headache and slight body pain lingered a few days after. His coworker was totally fine on the other hand minus arm soreness.
Vets and support staff are able to be vaccinated now. There was some pushback from some places at first but all the vets at my job have had their first vaccine and the support staff who are willing to get it have or are scheduled for their first. One of my bosses is regional medical director for the company I work for and other clinics haven’t had issues either getting it through pharmacies.

Non clinical year students I don’t think they’ll count since you’re not working in the hospital yet, but 4th years should qualify under veterinary staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vets and support staff are able to be vaccinated now. There was some pushback from some places at first but all the vets at my job have had their first vaccine and the support staff who are willing to get it have or are scheduled for their first. One of my bosses is regional medical director for the company I work for and other clinics haven’t had issues either getting it through pharmacies.

Non clinical year students I don’t think they’ll count since you’re not working in the hospital yet, but 4th years should qualify under veterinary staff.
yeah last email the vth got sent out was we still aren't eligible that was a couple weeks ago now and haven't heard since so idk.

For breaks we get 2- 2wk long breaks from March 2021-May 2022. We have a 1 wk break between winter quarter and clinics (first week of March), which is nice. But since our rotations are done via a "spin" and you don't always get the vacation block you request, it can lead to some students having really weird breaks.

For the most part my schedule is done! I just have some rotations in 2022 that are up in the air pending COVID status by then. Hopefully we have our s**t together by then.

I've got the first dose and the only thing I experienced was arm soreness

A decent amount of pre-clinical students at oregon state got the vaccine even though our guidelines specifically say "you must currently be working in benton county to be eligible". Our dean sent out an email telling everyone that she prefers staff and 4th years to get vaccinated first, but that she couldn't dictate who does and doesn't get it. I'm conflicted because on one hand, people had to check a box that certified they are actively working in the county, even though many aren't. Does attending 1-2 in person labs per week constitute as working? I'm not convinced... On the other hand, it's just another arm getting vaccinated so I can't be mad about it. If only they could open it up to everyone after first line workers got it, I think we could get this under control much faster.

I still dont know when vet students will be eligible for vaccinations in MN. Hopefully we'll at least get them before rotations start?
We dont have our rotation schedules yet either due to some staff changes, so Im just kinda stuck in limbo not knowing what the next year is gonna be like. But that's exactly the same as I've been since March, soo

We just got the okay from our hospital director to get the vaccine as 3rd years since we start clinics soon. The fourth years are also eligible. I get my first dose on Thursday 🎉

Reactions: 4 users
Still can't get vaccinated in WA
Even if we could, they ran out of vaccines
Still can't get vaccinated in Kansas. Employees and the 4th years are eligible but we were told the "rest of the students are not a priority any time soon"

• Care
Still can't get vaccinated in Kansas. Employees and the 4th years are eligible but we were told the "rest of the students are not a priority any time soon"
Yeah in WA actual veterinarians arent even eligible to be vaccinated right now despite the change in CDC guidance. So that's fun.

Also, an update: apparently all of illinois vetmed students/employees are now eligible. I’m not questioning it I’m just accepting it

We haven’t heard anything about getting it through the school but my work has been handing out letters for us to get it. Except there’s currently no vaccines anywhere so I cant actually make an appointment 🙃

• Sad
  • Wow
lol we got an updated email like the day after that post saying sorry still no :laugh:
Definitely have been some people getting it though. Depends how strict the places are being.
The state hasn’t released an official list of what professions they’re counting but no ones having issues over here so :shrug:

I got an email today from the campus health center with a survey asking me about the vaccine and what phase I would qualify for. It looks like we might be getting them *eventually* but yeah it’ll probably be months.

The state hasn’t released an official list of what professions they’re counting but no ones having issues over here so :shrug:
yeah WSVMA emailed being like not eligible yet because the state hasn't given the green light yet but for the vaccine tracker we're listed in the health professionals/public health sector so idk-it shouldn't be this hard imo :shrug:

It's crazy seeing the difference in vaccine availability. Our small town of 50-60k people is vaccinating 2k this Friday and is holding 1-2 mass vaccination clinics per week.

• Wow
Wait I hate seeing all of your fourth year schedules because it reminds me that I'm going to graduate soon :laugh:

God, can you all imagine how dangerous vmh, dvm is going to be?

• Haha
MN doesnt have schedules yet either, but we should next week maybe??
They did just announce that they will be graded Pass/No Pass though, which Im pretty excited about

• Love