Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't. Had a midterm at 8am this morning and when I woke up at 4:30am I still hadn't even seen some of the material before. :laugh:

A few of my classmates basically live in the library at school. Every now and then I'll go study with them because it forces me to be productive, but damn. So much self control.

PS if anyone hadn't figured it out Cdo is defs Type A ;)
I need to know a lot of things about cows before 10 AM tomorrow lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we can summarize this as:

You do you, boo. Do what works for you. Find your tribe. Be a bada**.

Reactions: 8 users
They go moo.
And occasionally
QjluEVR.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Cows: they're hardy AF until they're not

Reactions: 4 users
On the other hand, I am extremely introverted and have lived with 1-2 roommates for my whole vet school career. It's been nice because they do things like make sure I'm still eating when I'm depressed, get sushi with me, have movie nights, and so on which is nice. They also respect when I go into my cave (their loving term for my room) and don't come out until the next morning or for a whole weekend. I get plenty of time to unwind just from being able to go home and shut my door with no questions asked, so living with people is still doable even if you're really introverted.
that’s nice! My friends are getting really good at picking up when my depression gets really bad. I only eat dry Cheerios (or nothing) when I’m reaaally depressed and so I found out my friend has one of those mini boxes of Cheerios in her backpack for me.

(I also have a friend who not so sneakily invites me to go out to dinner with her when she knows I haven’t been eating. :laugh:

Me: oh wow I was really hungry”
Her: “yeah you were, cdo, what’d you have to eat today”
Me:

Her: “just dr pepper”
Me: “yeahhh”

I’m also not study all the time! I’m very involved in extracurriculars- upcoming president of a club (currently hold a position in that club), officers in another clubs, Officer for Alpha Psi the vet fraternity, house leader for our school house system. recently got certified in mental health first aid. Have applied to be a peer mentor.

I do a lot

I like it though.

I always watch an obnoxious amount of TV lol I started Brooklyn Nine Nine last Monday and I’m already halfway through season 3

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys feel like you get enough friend/socialization time (I'd assume so since we'll be stuck with our classmates 80 hours a day)? I'm also on the introverted side, which means that I tend to isolate myself and I don't want to cook a recipe for disaster.

One bedrooms/studios run about 1300-1600, 2 beds are about 1900+, and three bedrooms are about 22-2500? There are also larger houses with 4+ bedrooms but I would die first world problems. So hypothetically I could save ~400 to split a 2 bedroom, or like 7-800 to split a bigger place. Which is where the logical side of my brain is like DUH, DO THAT.
Look at the Facebook page (when you get it) there are tons of housing posts. You can usually live in a house with 3-4 people for 700-800 depending on utilities and distance. I live in a small room that fits my queen bed (unnecessary but I refused to part with it) a dresser and a desk. They are crammed in there and will not be coming out without pry bars. But I pay 600. The majority of the students here live in a house in Davis, commute via bike, and live with vet school roommates. I have to study at school because home is too distracting. But on the other hand I can come home and bitch to my heart's content because all of us know what it's like. No one judges me for my pre-exam eating habits or the fact I wear a robe all the time in the house even over normal clothes because I refuse to turn in the heat. You'll find living alone is really hard to find in Davis. Maybe in Sac, but then you have to drive and parking is ridiculous like 600 a year or something crazy. So you can live alone, but I don't recommend it here. Find some people you'll mesh with, and enjoy :)

Reactions: 3 users
Pros/cons to living with roomies versus spending $1400 for a one-bedroom? I know the obvious reasons, but any current vet students care to chip in with other views? I've had great roommate experiences, and I've had real ****ty ones. I want to be able to stay in a place for all 4 years of vet school because I've moved 1-2 times a year for the past 5 or 6 years and I just want my place. Also, I have a cat with chronic rhinitis that sneezes on everything and while I clean up after her -- there's a decent bit of snot on my walls and such.

please someone talk sense into me.

I live alone and love it, but I’m also not paying $1400 (actually paying half that). I have multiple pets and so living alone makes that much simpler. I’m an introvert but have a large friend group, so I don’t feel isolated in the least not living with others. Everyone is different for what works for them.

Reactions: 2 users
Cows: like to eat metal. Like to poke into heart. Yay.
Oh my God we just had a steer at our research farm that ate two hunks of metal that were the same size as playing cards! (Found it when we were putting stuff in through the fistula) we were like "HOW DID YOU EVEN SWALLOW THAT DUDE?!" He declined to comment.

Reactions: 5 users
Sigh....

I'm having a serious case of cold feet/Imposter's syndrome. I don't post here much at all, but I know you guys are going through (or have been through) the same thing. Family and friends just don't quite seem to get it.

I only had 1 acceptance this year (OOS), so I'm going to take it. I'm OK with the debt load I'm going to incur (otherwise I wouldn't have applied there). Now I'm having serious trouble pulling the trigger, sending in my deposit and quitting my job for fear that vet school isn't going to work out/I don't belong there. As I type this out, I think it's all from fear of change. I've been at my same job for 13 years and the idea of moving to a new state and not having an income for 4 years is terrifying - I'm not gonna lie. But, I've worked so hard over the past decade to get an acceptance that I can't imagine declining this offer and trying again for IS next year.

Anyway, I guess I just needed to type this out. Any advise on how to cope with feeling this way would be much appreciated!

Reactions: 10 users
Hey guys! Just got my call for Auburn yesterday so I’m a little late to the game, but I’m super excited to be part of this class!

I keep hearing a lot about how all in vet school is - it seems like most people spend all day either at school or studying with their classmates, and I am really looking forward to the tight knit community I’m sure this will make. But I’m also someone who loves getting out in the community in general and doing things that aren’t necessarily school related, haha. Is this even possible in vet school or should I just go ahead and prepare to think about nothing but vet med for the next four years? :laugh:
Hey! Sorry I know this is slightly off topic, but we’re you on the OOS waitlist? I’m on the OOS waitlist and very hopeful for a call before I put my deposit down elsewhere!

Any advise on how to cope with feeling this way would be much appreciated!

This might not be a conventional way of doing things, but if I know in my heart of hearts that xyz is the right decision, and have put all the logical thoughts into it (whether it be a vet school acceptance or buying a new vacuum lmao), and you just have to get over the emotional heebie jeebies - I like to get my SO or friend to just hype me up about it. Like, just being ridiculous to get REAL excited about it. Lots of yelling and dramatics, and then it's done and I can't worry about it anymore!
A lot of YOU GONNA DO IT?!
I'M GONNA DO IT
HIT THAT BUTTON
IM GONNA HIT THE BUTTON!
YOU'RE GOING TO VET SCHOOL
I'M GOING TO VET SCHOOL!!
AHHHH

Sigh....

I'm having a serious case of cold feet/Imposter's syndrome. I don't post here much at all, but I know you guys are going through (or have been through) the same thing. Family and friends just don't quite seem to get it.

I only had 1 acceptance this year (OOS), so I'm going to take it. I'm OK with the debt load I'm going to incur (otherwise I wouldn't have applied there). Now I'm having serious trouble pulling the trigger, sending in my deposit

Mail your deposit in at the post office, it stopped me from doing the back and forth "in the mail box, out of the mailbox" that I've been doing for 3 freaking weeks! It feels much better once it's done and you have nothing to do except get ready for vet school!

Reactions: 1 user
This might not be a conventional way of doing things, but if I know in my heart of hearts that xyz is the right decision, and have put all the logical thoughts into it (whether it be a vet school acceptance or buying a new vacuum lmao), and you just have to get over the emotional heebie jeebies - I like to get my SO or friend to just hype me up about it. Like, just being ridiculous to get REAL excited about it. Lots of yelling and dramatics, and then it's done and I can't worry about it anymore!
A lot of YOU GONNA DO IT?!
I'M GONNA DO IT
HIT THAT BUTTON
IM GONNA HIT THE BUTTON!
YOU'RE GOING TO VET SCHOOL
I'M GOING TO VET SCHOOL!!
AHHHH

HAHA!! I like this - it certainly makes it more fun ;)

Mail your deposit in at the post office, it stopped me from doing the back and forth "in the mail box, out of the mailbox" that I've been doing for 3 freaking weeks! It feels much better once it's done and you have nothing to do except get ready for vet school!

Another good suggestion - thanks guys!!

Hey! Sorry I know this is slightly off topic, but we’re you on the OOS waitlist? I’m on the OOS waitlist and very hopeful for a call before I put my deposit down elsewhere!

Hey! I’m actually a KY resident, so I was part of the round of in state decisions. Is the deposit small enough that you could put it in prior to April 15th but pull out if you got an acceptance from Auburn? I feel like that’s what I would probably end up doing.

It’s $500 so it’s not small, but I can do it. I’m waitlisted and Auburn, Mississippi State, and UTK (IS), and of course I’d rather go to any of those than Missouri, where I got accepted. Either way, I’m going to vet school somewhere and I’m super pumped

Reactions: 6 users
It’s $500 so it’s not small, but I can do it. I’m waitlisted and Auburn, Mississippi State, and UTK (IS), and of course I’d rather go to any of those than Missouri, where I got accepted. Either way, I’m going to vet school somewhere and I’m super pumped
Is there a particular reason why? Mizzou is nice in the fact you can get IS after year 1...

Is there a particular reason why? Mizzou is nice in the fact you can get IS after year 1...
I just personally did not like it there. Also, my significant other has a much better shot of getting the job he wants in the other places. I also didn’t like the idea of not being able to leave the state for more than 14 days over the summer.

I agree that probably 90% of the time it makes total sense to go to the cheapest school. However there are definitely times when it doesn’t. For example, I’m an anxious person. I need a support system. My family are all within 30 minutes of Penn. I have a nephew and two more babies in the family on the way. I want to be around to see them grow up; to start crawling, walking, say their first words, and to know who their uncle is and not just as some guy who lived across the country for their formative years. My girlfriend of 4 years got into Temple for her Masters and we’re finally moving in together. She was my biggest supporter in college and I wouldn’t be here without her. I’m familiar with the city since I’ve lives in or around it my whole life. My best friends are all here. As you said in another thread, vet school sucks no matter where you go. I want to give myself the biggest chance of it not sucking, and the biggest chance of making it through in one piece. I want to be able to get externships in the area I’ll end up practicing in and where I’ll be applying for internships/residencies. I want to make my life here. Yea, Penn was my IS so it’s actually not any more expensive than any of the other schools I applied to, but even if it were I’d still probably go. This reasoning doesn’t apply to everyone obviously but for someone in my situation, there were so many factors in deciding to go to Penn (and withdrawing all my other apps before I even had interviews at those schools) that money ended up not really being a top one.

Your nieces/nephews won't remember if you were there for their at least 1-4th years of life. That just simple human nature/biology. I mean do you recall what relatives where present on your 4th birthday/Christmas? I can guess who was possibly there but I can't say for sure. Nor would I care if they missed it because they were in school. :shrug:

Reactions: 5 users
I just personally did not like it there. Also, my significant other has a much better shot of getting the job he wants in the other places. I also didn’t like the idea of not being able to leave the state for more than 14 days over the summer.
Other than stepping back and asking yourself why exactly you didnt like it there-did you just not jive when you visited? My advice is the same as I gave someone else. Try to relax and be open minded about it. If this is what you want accept the spot and put down the deposit. If you get off your IS waitlist great, if not you still have a spot. If you get off a cheaper OOS then great(although I think MO is still your cheapest OOS option?). It's really hard to judge if you'll like it somewhere until you go there as I stated previously class make up is a huge influence. If you need to you still have like a month to wait also.

I worked before going back to school-trust me I miss making money so much sometimes. Mostly though I miss having my days off that were solely mine. In hind sight though it is only 4 years and I'm almost done with year 1. Granted I didnt have an established career so I can understand the huge impact this decision is.

Not knowing what your SO does I cant give much advice. Have you thought about trying LD? The job situation has been tough for my SO and he finally got a break 8mo after moving here-hes been working at Walmart in the mean time to bring in some income-he is way over qualified but that's all he could get initially. I told him to stay back at home but he insisted on coming for his own personal reasons.

Yeah not being able to leave the state for more than 14 days in the summer sucks but it's only for one summer-take the time to explore MO.

I guess just be open minded. It's a temporary situation and with their 2+2 program you're on clinics faster so you can go back home for rotations sooner and your summers are shorter so less time to be antsy about only being able to leave for 14 days.

If you have questions about Mizzou I can probably answer them as one of my best friends goes there and was OOS. Or if you just need someone to talk to about anything else like not having a real job my PM is always open.

Your nieces/nephews won't remember if you were there for their at least 1-4th years of life. That just simple human nature/biology. I mean do you recall what relatives where present on your 4th birthday/Christmas? I can guess who was possibly there but I can't say for sure. Nor would I care if they missed it because they were in school. :shrug:
I mean I know they probably won’t, but being around them is something that brings me joy and relieves stress. I love babies and even seeing them once every couple months would be great. If that were the only reason then of course I wouldn’t stay. But it’s a bonus.

Reactions: 7 users
Other than stepping back and asking yourself why exactly you didnt like it there-did you just not jive when you visited? My advice is the same as I gave someone else. Try to relax and be open minded about it. If this is what you want accept the spot and put down the deposit. If you get off your IS waitlist great, if not you still have a spot. If you get off a cheaper OOS then great(although I think MO is still your cheapest OOS option?). It's really hard to judge if you'll like it somewhere until you go there as I stated previously class make up is a huge influence. If you need to you still have like a month to wait also.

I worked before going back to school-trust me I miss making money so much sometimes. Mostly though I miss having my days off that were solely mine. In hind sight though it is only 4 years and I'm almost done with year 1. Granted I didnt have an established career so I can understand the huge impact this decision is.

Not knowing what your SO does I cant give much advice. Have you thought about trying LD? The job situation has been tough for my SO and he finally got a break 8mo after moving here-hes been working at Walmart in the mean time to bring in some income-he is way over qualified but that's all he could get initially. I told him to stay back at home but he insisted on coming for his own personal reasons.

Yeah not being able to leave the state for more than 14 days in the summer sucks but it's only for one summer-take the time to explore MO.

I guess just be open minded. It's a temporary situation and with their 2+2 program you're on clinics faster so you can go back home for rotations sooner and your summers are shorter so less time to be antsy about only being able to leave for 14 days.

If you have questions about Mizzou I can probably answer them as one of my best friends goes there and was OOS. Or if you just need someone to talk to about anything else like not having a real job my PM is always open.
Well, I’m #1 on the alternate list for Mississippi, so I’m fairly confident I’ll get called. I’ve weighed my options, and I love State over Missouri. It’s also much closer to my hometown and family. I’m at peace with my decision

I mean I know they probably won’t, but being around them is something that brings me joy and relieves stress. I love babies and even seeing them once every couple months would be great. If that were the only reason then of course I wouldn’t stay. But it’s a bonus.

Oh I know it isn't your only reason, just don't get too caught up on if you need to miss an event or something involving them. It'll happen, probably more than once.

I’ve always told people I was planning for vet school, and now to finally say I’m GOING to vet school seems surreal. I did a social media announcement, so it’s official.:D

Reactions: 18 users
Sigh....

I only had 1 acceptance this year (OOS), so I'm going to take it. I'm OK with the debt load I'm going to incur (otherwise I wouldn't have applied there). Now I'm having serious trouble pulling the trigger, sending in my deposit and quitting my job for fear that vet school isn't going to work out/I don't belong there. As I type this out, I think it's all from fear of change. I've been at my same job for 13 years and the idea of moving to a new state and not having an income for 4 years is terrifying - I'm not gonna lie. But, I've worked so hard over the past decade to get an acceptance that I can't imagine declining this offer and trying again for IS next year.

Anyway, I guess I just needed to type this out. Any advise on how to cope with feeling this way would be much appreciated!

I feel your struggle. I have not had an animal related job and my vet hours total 100. UTCVM’s Facebook posted a pic of a baby cow, and someone asked if it was a bull or heifer. As you can see, “baby cow” is my current vocabulary.

I have been in my current career for 7 years and have never waded through the mess of student loans and thinking about 4 years of my life and debt is absolutely terrifying. What if I don’t make it???

BUT I thought about how I worked so hard (3 years of adulthood working and schooling) and how I had so many people rooting for me to get in that I realized I HAD to do it. I also thought back to why I started this journey and it’s because as I get older I want NO REGRETS. So I took a big breath, dropped my letter in the mail, and did the childhood dance of jumping, clapping, and grinning.

SO IM GOING TO VET SCHOOL!

Yeah, agreed, and I think that is so important. Maybe it’s not important to everyone, but personally I know my cousin’s kids mean the world to me. I don’t know if I’ll ever have kids of my own, but they’re the closest thing to it. I’m happy to have been around them so much as they’ve been growing up, even if at times where “they won’t remember it.” They were a bright light when I had some terrible times during undergrad.

Yeah, agreed, and I think that is so important. Maybe it’s not important to everyone, but personally I know my cousin’s kids mean the world to me. I don’t know if I’ll ever have kids of my own, but they’re the closest thing to it. I’m happy to have been around them so much as they’ve been growing up, even if at times where “they won’t remember it.” They were a bright light when I had some terrible times during undergrad.
I think that’s whats so problematic with trying to criticize soemone’s opinion. It’s just that: their opinion. Our opinion is that family is extremely valuable and can be a lifesaver in times of stress. Others feel like it’s not overly important and place higher value on other things. Neither opinion is right or wrong, and making a decision on where you go to school has to be based off of what you find most valuable. Money is obviously important, but how much money is more important than family? $10,000? $20,000? $50,000? That’s something that only the person making the decision can decide. All anyone else can do is say what they feel was right for them.

Reactions: 4 users
Yep!! Had it from my undergrad :)
Was Davis your undergrad? And does the vet school use the same site as the rest of Davis? Because for penn, our email is going to be @vet.upenn.edu so even if someone went to undergrad there it would be different.

Was Davis your undergrad? And does the vet school use the same site as the rest of Davis? Because for penn, our email is going to be @vet.upenn.edu so even if someone went to undergrad there it would be different.

Davis was my undergrad, yep! And I guess so - our portal says that Id numbers and emails carry over from undergrad. We stay as [email protected].

How did you do that? Did you already get a school email address?
I got my vet school email last month (was accepted IS to Michigan State) and signed up for VIN right away too. :)

I got my vet school email last month (was accepted IS to Michigan State) and signed up for VIN right away too. :)
Ugh I’m so jealous of you guys! I apparently won’t get my email until the beginning of the summer. My vet lets me look around on VIN when he’s logged in but I’m so excited to be able to have my own.

Try to step back, release the fear, be excited and open minded about vet school. I feel like overall you cant go to "the wrong" school. All schools have positives and negatives. Vet school can be great but at the same time it can also suck and be miserable and horrible. You could even visit both schools get 2 different vibes attend one and have the total opposite experience because class composition I think attributes so much to your atmosphere. My class is so much different than the classes above us. Overall my school is super welcoming and supportive but our class is truly a family but I know the classes above us arent as tight knit which is fine. As long as you are going to an accredited school you'll become a DVM if you put in the time and work. In the end, the 4 years is very temporary (I cant believe I'm almost done with year 1). The debt not so much. Idk about you but I'd like to buy a house, buy a newer car, expand my family even if it's only by fur babies, and go on vacation. Some peoples loans are literally so much they cant afford to do that. Even on IBR they are saving all their pennies to pay off that huge tax hit in the end they dont have extra money.

Thank you so much for this response! WSU is actually the school I’ve been afraid to officially accept my offer at so this helped so much!

If it helps at all, I was in a similar position to you. I ended up coming to WSU over what was my "dream" school (mainly because WSU was the cheapest option) and was worried I was not going to like it here, but I don't regret coming here :) If you have any reservations you want to discuss, feel free to message me as well!

Hey Twin!:highfive:

Who else is restless waiting for August?

Reactions: 12 users
Who else is restless waiting for August?
I know I am!! I'm even restless just waiting for accepted students day, and it's only 5 days away!