MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel you. I had a multi level quadruple check process for looking up, making a list of, typing up, and verifying my codes.
you could also just go to your eras page and the "programs applied to" tab and it will only show codes for the programs and tracks within those programs you applied to. Just copy and paste over from there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if new board exam scores are sent to ERAS automatically? Like, let's say you apply and send in Step/Level 1 + 2. Then later on (post/mid-interviews or whatever) you take the PE....will they automatically see your score or would you have to manually re-send it in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if new board exam scores are sent to ERAS automatically? Like, let's say you apply and send in Step/Level 1 + 2. Then later on (post/mid-interviews or whatever) you take the PE....will they automatically see your score or would you have to manually re-send it in?
you have to manually resend them.

Reactions: 1 users
Manually send it in. August is the best time if you're worried about a fail affecting your # of invites

you have to manually resend them.
Pro is if you have a bad score or fail after sending its not automatically re-sent.
Con is you have to remember to do it (easy enough, I sent it 10 mins after I got my Step 2).
Noteworthy is if you resend it sends to all programs you already authorized release to. You can't pick and choose.

Reactions: 2 users
Plenty of things to worry about. This isn't one of them. I expect most PD's use AAMC ID's to rank.
how though? the only way applicants can rank is by the NRMP. Are programs able to rank by either? both? alternate back and forth on the rank list (1-NRMP, 2-AAMC, 3-AAMC, 4-NRMP, etc)?

Just checked my NRMP number on ERAS for the 1,000th time. In case anyone was wondering, it is correct. I'll be checking again in a few hours.
Hey, no judgement here. Should have checked my ERAS email one extra time - it would have saved me a lot of grief.

• Care
Hey, no judgement here. Should have checked my ERAS email one extra time - it would have saved me a lot of grief.
if it makes you feel better, I *did* type my email correctly on ERAS and I still had 1 program reaching out by email for invite and another sending zoom link by email both mistyped my email address and I didn't get them for some time.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
if it makes you feel better, I *did* type my email correctly on ERAS and I still had 1 program reaching out by email for invite and another sending zoom link by invite both mistyped my email address and I didn't get them for some time.
Mhm happened to my friends too lol. Apparently they can't copy paste correctly lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
if it makes you feel better, I *did* type my email correctly on ERAS and I still had 1 program reaching out by email for invite and another sending zoom link by invite both mistyped my email address and I didn't get them for some time.
That does make me feel better. Sometimes you just have to laugh. Like I had one program coordinator assume that my mistyped, made-up, ERAS email *was in fact my last name*. I got a schedule with this bogus last name :giggle:

• Haha
how though? the only way applicants can rank is by the NRMP. Are programs able to rank by either? both? alternate back and forth on the rank list (1-NRMP, 2-AAMC, 3-AAMC, 4-NRMP, etc)?
I have always used AAMC numbers. I export them from my spreadsheet, and import the entire list into ERAS.

Reactions: 5 users
Sent my LOI. No response. I keep telling myself this is normal lol

Reactions: 10 users
I didn’t get one either haha debating if I would rather get nothing it just a “thanks”. Easier to rationalize getting nothing in my head though 😂

Yeah I sent one yesterday to my #1 after submitting my ranks. No response. I knew about myself that my anxiety of any unanswered communication should advise me against doing it, but I still did. #Ragrets

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Quick question, on the NRMP website dashboard it says for "Verification Status: Not Verified". I assume that this is something that my school will take care of for me? Do you guys also have this?

Quick question, on the NRMP website dashboard it says for "Verification Status: Not Verified". I assume that this is something that my school will take care of for me? Do you guys also have this?
yeah they have to do something on their end to verify you're on track for graduation or something (I didn't attempt to understand it any deeper)

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone couples matching starting to fill out the rank list yet? I think I might lose my mind before I finish doing all combos

Anyone couples matching starting to fill out the rank list yet? I think I might lose my mind before I finish doing all combos
being a crazy analysis/research/organization/thinker/planner type of person actually made me jealous I wasn't doing either prelim+advanced or couples ranking and that I had a plain old boring categorical list lol.

• Haha
being a crazy analysis/research/organization/thinker/planner type of person actually made me jealous I wasn't doing either prelim+advanced or couples ranking and that I had a plain old boring categorical list lol.
I’m doing both and I would 100% trade you anything to not be in this situation lol

• Wow
We haven't started yet because we haven't even nailed down our number one. It's going to be a long month.

• Care

It sounds like you recently registered. Call your medical school. They need to verify it. I've heard they get a notification once you register and as @sunshinefl says, your medical school first checks that you're on track for graduation and then they verify you. They may have already gotten a notification, but make sure they take care of it. I would call (not email) them tomorrow and make sure this gets done.

Applicants <-> ERAS (AAMC-ID) <-> Programs
Applicants <-> NMRP <-> Programs

Programs and the NMRP will have both our ERAS (AAMC ID).

We haven't started yet because we haven't even nailed down our number one. It's going to be a long month.
I just finished filling it all out. I would recommend putting all the NRMP codes into excel and copying them into import section of the website. Saved a ton of time

oh my gosh my spine just tingled with the possibilities. Do you need any help? haha
Lmao I think I’m done. I would’ve taken you up on it though that took too much time haha

I just finished filling it all out. I would recommend putting all the NRMP codes into excel and copying them into import section of the website. Saved a ton of time
Now I'm concerned that i did something wrong bc it took like 5 min to enter all of my programs on the rank list just by searching them in the nrmp system

Now I'm concerned that i did something wrong bc it took like 5 min to enter all of my programs on the rank list just by searching them in the nrmp system
did you guys do every combo of matching? we made it so we have a total of 300 combos haha

Yeah I just searched mine in the NRMP system and then double checked everything by pulling up ERAS next to it, going to my programs applied to just, and comparing the listed NRMP numbers.

We don’t have to do this right away, right? We can input everything a few weeks from now if we wanted to

Does ERAS warn you if an applicant on the list isn’t registered for the NRMP at the time or just ignores them?
Warning, and it imports the list skipping that person and moving everyone else up one slot.

But no worries, once you register I can either just re-import the list, or insert you into the spot.

We don’t have to do this right away, right? We can input everything a few weeks from now if we wanted to
an R3 I rotated with on a cardio elective/audition and she was also applying cardio, said she entered and certified a list day 1 because she was worried about if she was in a coma or something that she would be excluded. She continued thinking and entered other lists. May be paranoid but The Match waits for no one.

an R3 I rotated with on a cardio elective/audition and she was also applying cardio, said she entered and certified a list day 1 because she was worried about if she was in a coma or something that she would be excluded. She continued thinking and entered other lists. May be paranoid but The Match waits for no one.
Honestly did the same, for the same obscene reason. You can change the list... I just wanted something, just in case!

I certified very early just in case and still managed to change my list a bunch of times

It sounds like you recently registered. Call your medical school. They need to verify it. I've heard they get a notification once you register and as @sunshinefl says, your medical school first checks that you're on track for graduation and then they verify you. They may have already gotten a notification, but make sure they take care of it. I would call (not email) them tomorrow and make sure this gets done.
Hm I registered a while back - but yeah I'll contact them, thanks.

Hm I registered a while back - but yeah I'll contact them, thanks.
NRMP verification only began on Monday, same day rank list submission opened. Verification is also due when ROL is due on 3/3. I wouldn't worry or contact your school yet. It's fine as long as they get it done during ranking period.

Reactions: 6 users
NRMP verification only began on Monday, same day rank list submission opened. Verification is also due when ROL is due on 3/3. I wouldn't worry or contact your school yet. It's fine as long as they get it done during ranking period.

Haha okay, thanks for letting me know - I'll prob just shoot them an email anyway as the registrar lady is really nice and I have some other questions, but I'm sure they are on it and very aware (and probably already have emails from others).

Something about this process drives some extra nervousness out of me.

How does the certification process play out? Is it like where you certify and then have to pay, or is it more like you pay before your list is certified? Just wondering if we get an estimate of the total cost before we certify. I know you don't get refunded after certification!

How does the certification process play out? Is it like where you certify and then have to pay, or is it more like you pay before your list is certified? Just wondering if we get an estimate of the total cost before we certify. I know you don't get refunded after certification!

I think certification adds no extra cost as long as the list is <20 programs. You already paid the fee when you registered for NRMP.

the original registration includes up to 20 ranks, so I don't know how/when you pay if you need more than that.

LOL logged into a virtual meet and greet yesterday and the program just didn't show up. No residents, no program coordinator, no one except for like, 15 applicants. We really just got stood up

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19 users
LOL logged into a virtual meet and greet yesterday and the program just didn't show up. No residents, no program coordinator, no one except for like, 15 applicants. We really just got stood up
Happened to me also
For Real GIF by Chicks on the Right

• Wow
Happened to me also
For Real GIF by Chicks on the Right
I'm still pretty perplexed. I really liked the program when I interviewed and had more detailed questions to ask. But the fact that they didn't let us know that they weren't going to be able to join in is the most frustrating.

I'm still pretty perplexed. I really liked the program when I interviewed and had more detailed questions to ask. But the fact that they didn't let us know that they weren't going to be able to join in is the most frustrating.
Very odd. Did they have a pre-interview dinner when you interviewed? Maybe they just forgot