Colorado State c/o 2023 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did an MMI for RVC in Nov, not sure if CSU will follow the exact same format but usually, you are given something to read beforehand or given a prompt/task by the interviewer that you will discuss with them.

It's actually pretty fun at some stations! I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing an answer, After introducing myself I just talked out my thought process and some of them helped me along the way, by either agreeing or asking follow up questions! (I treated it as trying to explain something to a client or friend)

Did you have a designated amount of time to introduce yourself? For example “my name is ____ I am from ____, I like doing ___, and I chose veterinary medicine because ____?”

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

nope! for me, there was a signal (usually a bell) when your time starts and I just shook the interviewer's hand and said my name and that it was nice to meet them. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone with experience or know people with experience with MMIs? Is there any interaction during the interview or are you expected to just ramble for 6 minutes? Ugh makes me nervous :(
So at CSU if you finish answering the question before the 6 minutes the only thing they were allowed to talk about with us was the weather as to avoid bias lol. Every school was a little different tho at other MMI’s they had you had to just sit in silence if you finish early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also adding that there usually are follow up questions to keep you talking. So it usually doesn’t come to that.

Also adding that there usually are follow up questions to keep you talking. So it usually doesn’t come to that.
Thank you! I assume you are rotating between other stations with other students, so there aren’t any specific questions relating to you, correct?

Last edited:
And don’t feel bad if you finish answering the question before the allotted time. Don’t feel like you
Thank you! I assume you are rotating between other stations with other students, so there aren’t any specific questions relating to you, correct?
you get the same questions as everyone else.

I'm a little late to the party, but OOS Invite to interview!! I'm super excited and didn't really think I'd get this far! 3.51 GPA, 160/161/3.5 Verbal/Quant./Writing GRE for reference!

I'm a little late to the party, but OOS Invite to interview!! I'm super excited and didn't really think I'd get this far! 3.51 GPA, 160/161/3.5 Verbal/Quant./Writing GRE for reference!
I'm a little nervous though, this fall semester wasn't my best and I ended up with a 3.2. Does anyone know how important that'll be regarding the final decision? :nailbiting:

Any WICHE applicants on here? I got an email yesterday about turning in final decisions and I'm just wondering if anyone else got that too....

So at CSU if you finish answering the question before the 6 minutes the only thing they were allowed to talk about with us was the weather as to avoid bias lol. Every school was a little different tho at other MMI’s they had you had to just sit in silence if you finish early.

Do they often ask follow-up questions? Or are you expected to really talk for 6 minutes?

Also thanks for this insight, I am going in blind and it helps me so much! I've done some reading on the MMI and it looks like some ask follow-up questions (within the time limit) and others don't.

Any advice about MMI's? I'm used to the traditional interviews so I would appreciate any/all advice on how to prep! thanks in advance

Once you finish the interview, is your acceptance based more off of how you do in the interview or is it a combination of interview, academics and experience? I know some schools base it mostly off interviews once you get to that point, but I don't want to get too excited if the interview hypothetically goes great only to get a rejection or waitlist because my GPA is below average.

Once you finish the interview, is your acceptance based more off of how you do in the interview or is it a combination of interview, academics and experience? I know some schools base it mostly off interviews once you get to that point, but I don't want to get too excited if the interview hypothetically goes great only to get a rejection or waitlist because my GPA is below average.

I think I read on the pdf that they send with the invite to interview that the decision is based on both the application and interview ranking. So, I think both play into acceptance though do not know if it is 50/50

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice about MMI's? I'm used to the traditional interviews so I would appreciate any/all advice on how to prep! thanks in advance
I bought the MMI prep book for medical school which in reality wasn't very helpful for the actual interview but made me feel like I was doing something beneficial so there's that...

A good friend of mine suggested prepping mini debate topics. I would write questions on notecards, take two minutes to organize my thoughts then speak on that topic for 6 or so minutes. I found doing that helped me organize my thoughts coherently and gave me more confidence when the interview came.

As others have said, you can't really prepare yourself for the individual questions. Just do your best to answer honestly and completely. The interviewers are really nice and understand how stressed students are about it!

Reactions: 2 users
I bought the MMI prep book for medical school which in reality wasn't very helpful for the actual interview but made me feel like I was doing something beneficial so there's that...

A good friend of mine suggested prepping mini debate topics. I would write questions on notecards, take two minutes to organize my thoughts then speak on that topic for 6 or so minutes. I found doing that helped me organize my thoughts coherently and gave me more confidence when the interview came.

As others have said, you can't really prepare yourself for the individual questions. Just do your best to answer honestly and completely. The interviewers are really nice and understand how stressed students are about it!
Thank you!! I bought the book as well and didn’t find it helpful so I appreciate the advice!

I think I read on the pdf that they send with the invite to interview that the decision is based on both the application and interview ranking. So, I think both play into acceptance though do not know if it is 50/50

I think I remember reading last year that it was 50/50!

Don’t underestimate the importance of empathy in your responses! I personally think interviews are probably in place to screen out those who aren’t team players. Also, don’t be afraid to be different and quirky in the interview! Based on our orientation, I think they are trying to find individuals who have different strengths that can diversify the class. (Although it seemed that almost everyone besides me had “learner” in their top 5 strengths :p )

Is there any advice for the MMI interview? I do well with the typical conversational interview style, but I am not sure if I will with MMI. Actually freaking out about this...

Hi, I’m from the south and wondering if I should wear or bring my coat to the interview? I have a professional looking black (trench/outer/pea??) coat. I know you move from the interview to the tour, but I don’t know if it’s appropriate to lug around a thick coat during the MMIs. I’ve thought of just being cold when walking into the interviews. any advice? Again, I’m from the south so sorry if this is strange!

Hi, I’m from the south and wondering if I should wear or bring my coat to the interview? I have a professional looking black (trench/outer/pea??) coat. I know you move from the interview to the tour, but I don’t know if it’s appropriate to lug around a thick coat during the MMIs. I’ve thought of just being cold when walking into the interviews. any advice? Again, I’m from the south so sorry if this is strange!

I’m from Florida and I also need this advice

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m from Florida and I also need this advice

Hi, Originally from CO and interviewed at CSU. Bring a coat! If could be just fine weather but part of the tour is walking. They have a room to leave your coat before your actual interview!

For everyone asking about the coats for walking to interview. I’m an undergrad at CSU right now so that’s why I know this.

The VTH is in a separate area from the campus so everyone interviewing will either be bussed or have to drive (I’m not sure this is just my assumption since you have to take a bus or drive from main campus to get to the south campus where the VTH is).

The anatomy lab is on main campus as well and they might have you walk from the LSC(which is where my interview info made it seem that the interviews will be) to the Anatomy/Zoology building where the anatomy lab is. That walk is maybe 10 minutes if you walk at a snails pace.

A coat is recommended just because of it being winter and it’ll likely be colder, especially in the morning.

Is there any advice for the MMI interview? I do well with the typical conversational interview style, but I am not sure if I will with MMI. Actually freaking out about this...

Current 1st year here. Don’t stress too much! I was a little worried cause I had zero experience with the whole MMI thing, but I actually ended up enjoying it. And of course I can’t tell you anything about the questions, but I will say that my first session actually made me laugh and totally relaxed me! My biggest pointer is to practice organizing your thoughts and answering questions quickly without getting distracted, since you have a very limited time per session. The questions are mostly designed to see how you think - anything personal that factors into the decision will be from your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if CSU has released an itinerary for the day, or recommended any hotels for students travelling there? Most schools provide this info but I can't seem to find anything on the portal or in my emails... Not sure if I'm just missing it!

Does anyone know if CSU has released an itinerary for the day, or recommended any hotels for students travelling there? Most schools provide this info but I can't seem to find anything on the portal or in my emails... Not sure if I'm just missing it!

They are going to be sending itinerary on the 16th or close to then.
EDIT: I forgot to answer your second part. There is a Hilton that is literally right next to campus on Prospect road and a couple of other places really close to campus that they probably recommend. Look at a map and try to find something close to the intersections of campus. If you have a rental car/car in general it might be worth staying at one of the hotels off of Mulberry by I-25 (might be cheaper).

How are most people getting from the airport to Fort Collins?

If you don’t have someone picking you up, there’s is a shuttle service called GreenRide that costs around $40 that you can schedule and they’ll pick you up and drive you to your hotel or whatnot in Fort Collins.

Is there a dinner that is taking place on Saturday night? For some reason, I really thought there was some type of get together (dinner soirée is what I thought it was) that was occurring on either Saturday or Sunday night! Maybe I am truly just confused... does anyone recall anything like this when signing up for the interview?

Is there a dinner that is taking place on Saturday night? For some reason, I really thought there was some type of get together (dinner soirée is what I thought it was) that was occurring on either Saturday or Sunday night! Maybe I am truly just confused... does anyone recall anything like this when signing up for the interview?

It says there is a lunch and a "post interview reception ". It doesnt indicate a date just a time for each. I'm assuming they are doing one Sat and Sun.

It says there is a lunch and a "post interview reception ". It doesnt indicate a date just a time for each. I'm assuming they are doing one Sat and Sun.

If I remember correctly, there is a lunch each day for the people who have interviews that day. Our “soirée” was Saturday night. It wasn’t dinner, just drinks and appetizer/dessert kind of things. The dean spoke on stage and a bunch of the clubs had info tables set up.

Edit: I got an email 4 days in advance of my interview with a very detailed schedule for the weekend, including my interview time and tour times

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, there is a lunch each day for the people who have interviews that day (could be wrong). Our “soirée” was Saturday night. It wasn’t dinner, just drinks and appetizer/dessert kind of things. The dean spoke on stage and a bunch of the clubs had info tables set up.

Edit: I got an email 4 days in advance of my interview with a very detailed schedule for the weekend, including my interview time and tour times

Great! Thank you so much! I was almost positive there was some sort of soirée on Saturday night! I will just keep an eye out for the email with details of everything! Thank you!

I’m pretty sure that the post-interview reception on each day for each interview group. I don’t think they’d expect sunday’s Interviews to be there on Saturday for something and vice versa.

I’m pretty sure that the post-interview reception on each day for each interview group. I don’t think they’d expect sunday’s Interviews to be there on Saturday for something and vice versa.

You’re right, I just remembered that they originally said only Saturday and forgot they corrected it :)

Don’t underestimate the importance of empathy in your responses! I personally think interviews are probably in place to screen out those who aren’t team players. Also, don’t be afraid to be different and quirky in the interview! Based on our orientation, I think they are trying to find individuals who have different strengths that can diversify the class. (Although it seemed that almost everyone besides me had “learner” in their top 5 strengths :p )
You’re not alone. I didn’t get “learner” either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone received the email for the interview time this weekend?

Anyone received the email for the interview time this weekend?
I got mine! I'm at 2pm on Sunday. My tour time is 8am (which is according to your interview time).

So, for the post-interview reception, do people typically wear what they wore for the interview itself? I am not a pant-suit fan, but will be wearing one for the tour and interview, but was hoping to change for the reception since it is much later in the day. Is this weird to do?

So, for the post-interview reception, do people typically wear what they wore for the interview itself? I am not a pant-suit fan, but will be wearing one for the tour and interview, but was hoping to change for the reception since it is much later in the day. Is this weird to do?

In the email I got, it says "please dress casually" for the post-interview reception.

In the email I got, it says "please dress casually" for the post-interview reception.

Thank you so much. I literally had to read that section two times even after you telling me to see that. Lol. I just kept skipping over it. lol. I Can’t do that when reading prompts during the actual interview. thank you again!

So are y’all planning to change between interview and reception? I was planning to but just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be the only one

So are y’all planning to change between interview and reception? I was planning to but just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be the only one

I am going to change between the interview and the reception. At first I wasn’t sure, but since it says to dress casual in the email, I definitely am going to! :)

Yep! I’m gonna run back to my apartment and change haha. There’s a few hours between my interview and the reception (mine is at 2) so I’ll have time. I’ll probably still be “nice casual” rather than my everyday t-shirt and jeans but still will change out of my more professional clothes.

I am going to wear like a sweater dress, tights, and boots. So like D said, nice casual. :)

Who will be in the 8am interview group this Sunday! Curious if it’s just IS people!

Well we got to choose our interview days, I don’t think they’re grouping the interviews by anything honestly.

Good luck everyone who is interviewing!! You'll all do amazing!!