Drexel DPMS 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curlypremed123

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I started this thread for this application cycle for the Drexel pathway to medicine program! The DPMS students and alumni always offer amazing support during this application cycle & I feel that if anyone has questions they can ask it here and also we can create support for one another during this application cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for making this! Has anyone started the application? Im taking the MCAT in january so I'm a little worried ill be too behind.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for making this! Has anyone started the application? Im taking the MCAT in january so I'm a little worried ill be too behind.
I am currently working on my application & will also be taking the MCAT in January. Applying early is always recommended but it is not the end all be all. There is also a Drexel post bacc information session that will be happening October 12, so if you have program specific questions then I recommend attending that

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently working on my application & will also be taking the MCAT in January. Applying early is always recommended but it is not the end all be all. There is also a Drexel post bacc information session that will be happening October 12, so if you have program specific questions then I recommend attending that
I believe applications are not looked at until January anyway correct?

Oh man, I am excited for everyone's journey to start. Current DPMS student and hopefully I get to see you all next year. Good luck with applications and the MCAT. I don't know if they are going to do CASPER test this year but I advice you get it out of the way when you can

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone I am also applying to DPMS this cycle and will be taking my MCAT in January. Good luck everyone!!

Hi! I’m applying this cycle and taking my MCAT in January as well!

Oh man, I am excited for everyone's journey to start. Current DPMS student and hopefully I get to see you all next year. Good luck with applications and the MCAT. I don't know if they are going to do CASPER test this year but I advice you get it out of the way when you can
Thank you! How has your DPMS experience been so far?

Thank you! How has your DPMS experience been so far?
It's been tough honestly. The classes are no joke but the TAs are really helpful and the professors are very good. It takes sometime to adjust to the pace but once you get used to it, things become a little easier

Reactions: 2 users
It's been tough honestly. The classes are no joke but the TAs are really helpful and the professors are very good. It takes sometime to adjust to the pace but once you get used to it, things become a little easier
Oh wow! Is there a lot of support from your fellow classmates as well?

Oh wow! Is there a lot of support from your fellow classmates as well?
Yeah for sure. I have a good cohort. Just find the right people that you gel with and support each other and study together. Everyone is very helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah for sure. I have a good cohort. Just find the right people that you gel with and support each other and study together. Everyone is very helpful
That is good! What do you feel is some of the best advice for those who are applying this cycle?

That is good! What do you feel is some of the best advice for those who are applying this cycle?
If you get an interview, just be yourself. I remember trying to rehearse responses and how to present myself but honestly be yourself. Just show them who you are

Reactions: 3 users
If you get an interview, just be yourself. I remember trying to rehearse responses and how to present myself but honestly be yourself. Just show them who you are
Thank you for your advice 😊

Hello Everyone,
I also plan on applying during the 2022-2023 cycle- still have to retake my MCAT in January as well. Studying for it has but rough, to say the least, but I'm hanging in there here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.51
sGPA: 3.39
MCAT: -
Non trad
1 unsuccessful cycle
ECs: Clinical, Volunteering,
Shadowing, Conferences (SNMA),
Sociology Research

I plan on submitting my app sometime in December when I get some downtime. Good luck to you all - hope to see y'all all at the end of this.

Last edited:
Hello !

Is there anything you wish you would have known before starting DPMS? How much downtime did you have during the year, any time for hobbies?

Hello Everyone,
I also plan on applying during the 2022-2023 cycle- still have to retake my MCAT in January as well. Studying for it has but rough, to say the least, but I'm hanging in there here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.51
sGPA: 3.39
MCAT: 486 (I know * me and standardized testing are not friends but were going to have to be)
Non trad
1 unsuccessful cycle
ECs: Clinical, Volunteering,
Shadowing, Conferences (SNMA),
Sociology Research

I plan on submitting my app sometime in December when I get some downtime. Good luck to you all - hope to see y'all all at the end of this.
CGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.66
MCAT:494 ( retaking may of next year)
have research, lots of volunteer at underserved areas, scribe. applyping next month. Do you know what the average stats look like for accepted people?

Hi Everyone!! I’ve been up reading through the old forum. So much great advice and hope we all get in on this forum.
My Stats:
cGPA: 3.24
sGPA: 3.11
GPA is an upward trend (idk if that is taken into consideration)
MCAT: 497 (125, 121, 124, 127)
1 unsuccessful/uncompleted cycle.
Alot of volunteer/community service, shadowing, successful college athlete, coach/mentor to high schoolers in disadvantaged areas.

I submitted my application on Oct 19th. I’ve been preparing my app since May after find out about this program too late for the last cycle (bummer). But hoping this is my year/cycle. Feeling like this is my last push at med school otherwise nursing school here I come.

Last edited:
I get anxious for any type of interview and lose my train of thought most times. I’ve been rehearsing so I don’t stumble on my words. Is that a good idea/plan?

Hello !

Is there anything you wish you would have known before starting DPMS? How much downtime did you have during the year, any time for hobbies?
I can't think of anything I wish i had known. The only thing that was a hiccup was the move to Philly since it was my first time moving out of state but I soon attained the resources that I needed to really make life a little easier. It is all about using your resources and being good with your time. Which brings me to downtime. Honestly, I am still in the mist of things. I have been able to do a few things that I enjoy here and there but not as frequent as I want to do them. Since I started being more manageable with my time, I have found opportunities to go to the gym, watch movies and tv shows or go home to see family and friends. Been to two concerts. So it is doable, just have to manage your time.

I get anxious for any type of interview and lose my train of thought most times. I’ve been rehearsing so I don’t stumble on my words. Is that a good idea/plan?
Okay if that works for you then go ahead and do it. Whatever makes you feel comfortable. Personally, I get anxiety attacks for severe life altering issues. I didn't see the interview as such so I didn't panic. It is just another chance. If it doesn't work out, there are more chances. It is just one of many doors to the same path if that makes sense. So for me personally, I had rehearsed several times before the interview, and then the day before the interview I was like nope, I rather be myself and speak the way I speak and just show them who I am. And I did it. I was just my authentic self rather than a rehearsed self. Once again, do whatever you feel is right for you. We are totally different people

Hopefully this answers all future questions regarding GPA and MCAT. I don't like comparing myself to others or vice versa but to calm everyone's nerves because this was something that I did in my application year and made me think I was subpar compared to everyone.

Undergrad GPA: 2.67 (5.5 years of undergrad, very tragic. Only EC - played intramural soccer and was a member of a housing committee)
Post- Bac GPA: ~3.8 (lots of higher level science classes - 70 credit hours, volunteered as a teacher helping individual with disability learn math to get into college, worked full time at my university's critical care lab, did educational research at an NGO, while studying for the MCAT - got 70 percentile on MCAT) - All within a span of 2 years, 6 semesters.

All this to say, we have different paths and no one is better than the other. I sucked at undergrad because of lots of mental health issues and family issues etc. Took time to reflect and got back at it after rediscovering my passion. Drexel takes everything into account. Sometimes I am shocked I am even here. So just stay motivated. Encourage yourself and keep whatever drives you to pursue this career path close to your heart because you will need it. In the beginning, I was trying to give up but I always see myself back home helping my people and teaching while having a stable family so it keeps me going. Please don't compare yourselves to others. It is not worth it

Last edited:
I can't think of anything I wish i had known. The only thing that was a hiccup was the move to Philly since it was my first time moving out of state but I soon attained the resources that I needed to really make life a little easier. It is all about using your resources and being good with your time. Which brings me to downtime. Honestly, I am still in the mist of things. I have been able to do a few things that I enjoy here and there but not as frequent as I want to do them. Since I started being more manageable with my time, I have found opportunities to go to the gym, watch movies and tv shows or go home to see family and friends. Been to two concerts. So it is doable, just have to manage your time.

Okay if that works for you then go ahead and do it. Whatever makes you feel comfortable. Personally, I get anxiety attacks for severe life altering issues. I didn't see the interview as such so I didn't panic. It is just another chance. If it doesn't work out, there are more chances. It is just one of many doors to the same path if that makes sense. So for me personally, I had rehearsed several times before the interview, and then the day before the interview I was like nope, I rather be myself and speak the way I speak and just show them who I am. And I did it. I was just my authentic self rather than a rehearsed self. Once again, do whatever you feel is right for you. We are totally different people

Hopefully this answers all future questions regarding GPA and MCAT. I don't like comparing myself to others or vice versa but to calm everyone's nerves because this was something that I did in my application year and made me think I was subpar compared to everyone.

Undergrad GPA: 2.67 (5.5 years of undergrad, very tragic. Only EC - played intramural soccer and was a member of a housing committee)
Post- Bac GPA: ~3.8 (lots of higher level science classes - 70 credit hours, volunteered as a teacher helping individual with disability learn math to get into college, worked full time at my university's critical care lab, did educational research at an NGO, while studying for the MCAT - got 70 percentile on MCAT) - All within a span of 2 years, 6 semesters.

All this to say, we have different paths and no one is better than the other. I sucked at undergrad because of lots of mental health issues and family issues etc. Took time to reflect and got back at it after rediscovering my passion. Drexel takes everything into account. Sometimes I am shocked I am even here. So just stay motivated. Encourage yourself and keep whatever drives you to pursue this career path close to your heart because you will need it. In the beginning, I was trying to give up but I always see myself back home helping my people and teaching while having a stable family so it keeps me going. Please don't compare yourselves to others. It is not worth it
Thank you for the advice! When I was applying to med schools and got back secondaries, I psyched myself out because I was comparing my stats to others which made me not want to finish my applications. I always kept thinking “why me?” “My grades are trash compared to this urm on Reddit “. So after taking some time to myself and trying to figure out what I want to do, my friends and doctors I see for health reasons as well as shadowing really encouraged me to try again and this time to attack with confidence. We all bring something different to the table and that’s what medicine needs; not a one size fits all box of what a doctor should be or what should have been accomplished before medical school.

I truly do believe I would be happiest being a doctor over a nurse. I love the idea that I would be learning more in depth about a speciality I would be passionate about and being a face that other urm can relate to. I’m hoping this program will send out acceptances way sooner than last year because my backup plan is nursing and the 1 year accelerated program I’m applying to starts at the end of May😢 so fingers crossed 🤞🏾

Okay guys I have a question so i was getting worried about the cycle and just received my first A from a DO program a couple weeks ago. I am very happy and excited of course but after doing more reseach about COMPLEX and USMLE im kinda conflicted. Would it be wise to deny my acceptance if I am accepted to Drexels DPMS?
I don't think i would deny an acceptance unless the school has pretty terrible reviews or match stats... What are your reasons for thinking you might pass and wait until the next cycle?

One more question when you get the chance, do you mind telling us what the stricter of DPMS is like classroom wise? Are lectures mandatory in person or can lectures be watched from home? How often are you guys taking exams/tests on what your learning?

Thanks in advance !

Hello everyone,

I just had some questions here:
I know it states that URM and SES disadvantaged students are the typical students in this program, however, if I am not SES disadvantaged would being URM still viable for me to become accepted?
Also, what is considered URM in medicine at Drexel? Because I am southeastern Asian, and some schools consider SE Asian URM and some don’t, so does anyone know if Drexel does?
Last question, if I graduated from undergrad in 2019 and have no contact with professors anymore, do they allow substitutes for letter of recommendations?

Thank you and good luck to everyone!!!

Hello everyone,

I just had some questions here:
I know it states that URM and SES disadvantaged students are the typical students in this program, however, if I am not SES disadvantaged would being URM still viable for me to become accepted?
Also, what is considered URM in medicine at Drexel? Because I am southeastern Asian, and some schools consider SE Asian URM and some don’t, so does anyone know if Drexel does?
Last question, if I graduated from undergrad in 2019 and have no contact with professors anymore, do they allow substitutes for letter of recommendations?

Thank you and good luck to everyone!!!
Hey! I'm just going to give you my insight obviously you don't have to take it lmao
1. I think the requirements were
  • Students from socially or economically disadvantaged backgrounds
  • Students who are underrepresented minorities in the health professions
so I don't think you have to be both URM and SES disadvantage but I think it would probably " look better" if you were. " socially disadvantage can also go beyond race in my opinion and could be like lgbtq, immigrant etc

2. I think they are going to base URM based on how AAMC defines it.
The Association of American Colleges (AAMC) defines URM status applicants as “those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population.” There are four groups that are defined as URM:

• Black/African American
  • Native American (American Indian, Alaskan Native or Native Hawaiian)
  • Mexican American
  • Mainland Puerto Rican
I know back then there was a big push to get women into medical school and now there's more women at most school so men who fall into these categories might be appealing to them (considering everything is the same between a male and female application)
Source : Diversity in Medicine | Pre-Health Advising | The George Washington University | The George Washington University

3. You only graduated like 2 years ago I think you could still try and reach out to the professors,( I would try to get the professors from your higher science classes since you probably took them junior/ senior year) most profs only care if you got an A in their class and then they'll write you a generic letter with some fluff in there. If not I don't see why they wouldn't accept letters from someone who knows you in a professional way such as a doctor you work/shadow, supervisor, etc.

Hope this help. Good luck!

What's up yall,

I'm a little worried about my stats for the program, almost finished with my application. Do decisions come out before april? Gotta pray everyday for an acceptance thoo because this wait is gonna take a minute.

What's up yall,

I'm a little worried about my stats for the program, almost finished with my application. Do decisions come out before april? Gotta pray everyday for an acceptance thoo because this wait is gonna take a minute
i think we get interview invites as early as March and it goes up through May, then acceptances start around May the stats are suggestions based on the website they use a holistic review so I would say give it your best and see what happens !

edit: there is one or two other programs out there similar to Drexel , Touro and VCOM - they are DO ( that matters to some people) I would say if your are worried about your stats try applying to other programs so your not putting all of your eggs into one basket it will take some of the pressure off

i think we get interview invites as early as March and it goes up through May, then acceptances start around May the stats are suggestions based on the website they use a holistic review so I would say give it your best and see what happens !

edit: there is one or two other programs out there similar to Drexel , Touro and VCOM - they are DO ( that matters to some people) I would say if your are worried about your stats try applying to other programs so your not putting all of your eggs into one basket it will take some of the pressure off
Thank you I appreciate that. MD has been my goal I'm gonna sprinkle some apps just about everywhere, I hopefully get into this one because of how supportive i heard the community was. I hope I see all yall there

Does it matter how early we submit since it's not rolling?

One more question when you get the chance, do you mind telling us what the stricter of DPMS is like classroom wise? Are lectures mandatory in person or can lectures be watched from home? How often are you guys taking exams/tests on what your learning?

Thanks in advance !
Most lectures are not mandatory but i highly recommend it. Some lectures are on zoom, others are in person so it all depends on the professor. I just wouldn't miss a session. For immuno in track 2, participation/attendance counts toward grades so no skipping that for me. We take exams like every 3 weeks average if i am not mistaken. It is a hectic schedule tbh. You have to be on task

What's up yall,

I'm a little worried about my stats for the program, almost finished with my application. Do decisions come out before april? Gotta pray everyday for an acceptance thoo because this wait is gonna take a minute.
During my cycle, decision didn't come out until early June if i remember correctly. But there were delays. Also decisions come out in two waves. Not sure if that still applies.

Does it matter how early we submit since it's not rolling?
It doesn't matter. I know someone that applied on last day and still got in. I applied early and also got in.

Hey ya'll,

My name is Anderson and I'm a current DPMS student.

I Just want to introduce myself, as I've received some DM'S about the program and I figured my answers would benefit most of you.

I think the first thing you have to do is not compare yourself to other students based on stats. There are people with great GPA's and MCAT scores, people with low GPA's and low MCAT, and a mix of those.

DPMS is a program for students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds, that could be due to low SES, URM, race, sex, gender, and a mix of many other things that may have hindered you in your pursuit to one day become a physician.

EVERYONE's background is different and unique. The most important thing IMO is to be yourself when writing your essays for DPMS, and when going on the interview. Let your passion and your want for a career in medicine to show through those, but also highlight the challenges you have experienced and how they have made you a better student, and a better human, and how those things drive you to one day become a physician.

Time Line: Last year they seemed to have started reviewing everyone's application once the Due Date came. Like my friend Tzooh said. it really doesn't matter when you apply as long as its in before the due date. Interviews and acceptance came in 2 waves. I personally was in the first round of interviews (early May) and first round of Acceptances (early June). Just because you interviewed in round 1 does not mean you will get an acceptance in round 1, it could come in round 2 and vice versa.

As far as the program goes;

DPMS will test you academically, mentally, and physically!
It is a really fast paced program that is best described as drinking water from a firehose. But, do not let that discourage you from applying and giving it your all.

DPMS is hard but I have also grown as a person, I have learned lessons, and have developed friendships that I will carry with me forever.

Good Luck to you all on your journey

feel free to ask me any more questions at any point.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey ya'll,

I Just want to introduce myself, as I've received some DM'S about the program and I figured my answers would benefit most of you.

I think the first thing you have to do is not compare yourself to other students based on stats. There are people with great GPA's and MCAT scores, people with low GPA's and low MCAT, and a mix of those.

DPMS is a program for students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds, that could be due to low SES, URM, race, sex, gender, and a mix of many other things that may have hindered you in your pursuit to one day become a physician.

EVERYONE's background is different and unique. The most important thing IMO is to be yourself when writing your essays for DPMS, and when going on the interview. Let your passion and your want for a career in medicine to show through those, but also highlight the challenges you have experienced and how they have made you a better student, and a better human, and how those things drive you to one day become a physician.

Time Line: Last year they seemed to have started reviewing everyone's application once the Due Date came. Like my friend Tzooh said. it really doesn't matter when you apply as long as its in before the due date. Interviews and acceptance came in 2 waves. I personally was in the first round of interviews (early May) and first round of Acceptances (early June). Just because you interviewed in round 1 does not mean you will get an acceptance in round 1, it could come in round 2 and vice versa.

It is a really fast paced program that is best described as drinking water from a firehose. But, do not let that discourage you from applying and giving it your all.

DPMS is hard but I have also grown as a person, I have learned lessons, and have developed friendships that I will carry with me forever.

Appreciate it Anderson! Just a quick couple of questions, but how do you enjoy living in Philly and how is the support system in the program amongst the students and the faculty?

Hey ya'll,

Hello! Thanks so much for your insight. I had a couple of questions:

1. I see that we are only given the option to submit our resume/cv, does that mean that there is no area to write out our activities/hours like we do on the AMCAS medical school application?

2. For the personal statement, we write about why we want to become a physician and the experiences that led us there. Should the DPMS essay therefore not really focus on why we want to be a physician, but rather why our background makes us a fit for the program? I keep trying to write the DPMS essay and I always get confused on how I should differentiate it from my personal statement.

Hello everyone!

Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: No prior score - Taking in January
EC: Volunteering (including lead volunteer and volunteer trainer), scribe, Peds EM shadowing, meaningful leadership positions, social justice workshop coordinator
Research: Research within the College of Pharmacy, Master of Public Health program, and CDC

I wasn't fully prepared to take the MCAT to apply during this current MS cycle and l hoped to gain some necessary skills before pursuing medical school. I haven't taken as many science classes as typical STEM majors, being a Public Health Sciences major so I hope to gain a better science background through this program. I'm looking forward to continuing discussion in this forum, and I hope that everyone here makes it!

Question, if I already have an MCAT score but am retaking in March, are they not going to review my application until that new score is in?

Question, if I already have an MCAT score but am retaking in March, are they not going to review my application until that new score is in?
I believe they review your application once you complete it & submit it

im really worried about possibly not being able to obtain letters of recommendation from other than a physician I've shadowed :cryi:

im really worried about possibly not being able to obtain letters of recommendation from other than a physician I've shadowed :cryi:
I know they view applications holistically, but I would recommend you reach out to [email protected] if you have questions/concerns about letter of recommendations

I just learned about this program- is there any advantage to submitting early? Like during February vs March?

Did anyone else see that they added the Casper test as a requirement if you get an interview? I literally just saw it today when trying to find out when they start the application reviewing process.

those anyone know how the grading works? like is it a curve where you compete with the M1 students or are we grade as a cohort. I know we need a 3.2gpa but i feel like it changes a lot if it’s against M1s

those anyone know how the grading works? like is it a curve where you compete with the M1 students or are we grade as a cohort. I know we need a 3.2gpa but i feel like it changes a lot if it’s against M1s
No competition with medical schools. We aren't graded against M1 students.

Hi Everyone!
I was just wondering after we submit the application where do we go to submit the online BCPM gpa form? I can’t seem to find that? Thank you!