Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, I just randomly got a call from the VCOM-VA main admissions office today asking if Auburn would be a possibility for me. It's my number one DO school choice since I'm from Tallahassee, FL! I didn't officially get asked for an interview, but the admissions lady on the phone sounded like I was…any insight on this?? I literally haven't had a single II from any school, and I've been completed since October. My MCAT score wasn't very good and I knew that, so I've become okay with taking a year off and have found a full-time job…now I'm VERY confused on what is going on lol

When you apply to one campus, you apply to all three. If the VA class is filling up fast, then they might be overflowing screened students to the Auburn campus. Remember, Auburn started interviews well after other schools did, and many people delayed their Auburn applications until accreditation, etc., was in place. Consequently, Auburn is screening & interviewing like crazy right now. Our class is ~2/3 full and filling rapidly.

BTW VCOM in general cares more about grades than MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Short answer I got was yes. No DO/phd's as of yet. but there will be other options. The message I received all day is auburn is ecstatic about VCOM being there and to Dr. Palmarozzi's credit she is working her ass off to get the first year's class as many opportunities as possible.

True on all accounts. It's not just Auburn University that's excited; it's the whole freaking town. If I wear my VCOM shirt around town, people stop me to talk about it. Local businesses, the tech sector & the research park are extremely excited too. VCOM didn't just throw a dart at the map and say, "let's go there." A joint task force was set up (VCOM, Auburn University, Research Park, and others) a few years ago to perform a feasibility analysis, vet a plan, and so on. This school is part of a long-term strategy; the new school--along with the Vet & Nursing schools--is a huge draw for business, jobs, tech/biotech, investment, intellectual capital, and so on.

OK, I will get off of my soapbox.

Members don't see this ad :)
True on all accounts. It's not just Auburn University that's excited; it's the whole freaking town. If I wear my VCOM shirt around town, people stop me to talk about it. Local businesses, the tech sector & the research park are extremely excited too. VCOM didn't just throw a dart at the map and say, "let's go there." A joint task force was set up a few years ago to perform a feasibility analysis, vet a plan, and so on. This school is part of a long-term strategy; the new school--along with the Vet & Nursing schools--is a huge draw for business, jobs, tech/biotech, investment, intellectual capital, and so on.

A shirt? Please, tell me more...
In fact, post something to the Facebook group if you haven't already. Gotta pick up some VCOM swag!

Reactions: 2 users
A shirt? Please, tell me more...
In fact, post something to the Facebook group if you haven't already. Gotta pick up some VCOM swag!

HAHA I just got busted. I did put something up on the FB page ... or maybe it was Chiefcomplaint's. I cannot remember. At any rate, here is just one of a few that I came up with:

swag.png

Reactions: 3 users
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1423540220.213839.jpg

Just wanted to thrown in my own personal VCOM-Auburn swag. Prototype is in production. Edit: It's a belt buckle, approx 6 cm x 8 cm.

Reactions: 1 users
True on all accounts. It's not just Auburn University that's excited; it's the whole freaking town. If I wear my VCOM shirt around town, people stop me to talk about it. Local businesses, the tech sector & the research park are extremely excited too. VCOM didn't just throw a dart at the map and say, "let's go there." A joint task force was set up (VCOM, Auburn University, Research Park, and others) a few years ago to perform a feasibility analysis, vet a plan, and so on. This school is part of a long-term strategy; the new school--along with the Vet & Nursing schools--is a huge draw for business, jobs, tech/biotech, investment, intellectual capital, and so on.

This guy always getting me pumped! I actually heard AU was the one that first approached VCOM, not the other way around!

i thought the auburn campus was easily the best out of the schools I have seen/interviewed with....and I haven't even been inside the Med building yet ha. It's planned square footage is 2 times the size of the last School I interviewed at though!

Everyone is making me so excited to interview here!

So is there a FB group for our class? And does anyone know a good place to rent apts in Auburn.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is there a FB group for our class? And does anyone know a good place to rent apts in Auburn.
There has been a lot of discussion about housing on the Facebook group. Join in and scroll through recent and older posts to get caught up to speed.

Any last minute tips/pointers for interviews?
Make reference to Cam Newton as much as possible.

Haha naw. But seriously, just be yourself and relax. You've made it this far so they obviously see something they like!

Any last minute tips/pointers for interviews?
Take an interest in the other interviewees, ask them questions. Show that you can be social and take a genuine interest in your potential future classmates. The school is all about teamwork. Sell that you can not only do that but excel at it. VCOM is not cutthroat they want everyone to be their very best so show you can inspire that in others.

Take an interest in the other interviewees, ask them questions. Show that you can be social and take a genuine interest in your potential future classmates. The school is all about teamwork. Sell that you can not only do that but excel at it. VCOM is not cutthroat they want everyone to be their very best so show you can inspire that in others.
I agree with this whole-heartedly. When we sat down for lunch I believe Dr. Hill was talking with a couple of us and asking us how our lunch was and another applicant and myself had differing opinions on our tomatoes. It got rather interesting when Dr. Hill was trying to emphasize the importance of differing opinions and respecting others' likes or dislikes, even if it is just tomatoes. Really show interest in others even if you don't think you are being evaluated, your first impression is a full day of interactions. They want to know if you can fit well with the class and faculty for the next 4+ years.

At burgerfi in auburn if anyone wants to meet

*wearing a hat and brown carhart jacket

Interviewing here Monday, 02/16/2015. Although I have been accepted elsewhere, I am very excited about VCOM - Auburn and hope they have some seats left!

Any accepted folks still waiting on the email with information about setting up VCOM email, etc.?

I was accepted back in November and just received mine within the last 2 weeks.

Interview invite on 02/24!! So excited! Hope there are still seats then :/

Interview invite on 02/24!! So excited! Hope there are still seats then :/
The interviews are laid back and welcoming. Jasmine is great! She leads the tour and basically is the mc through the day. Just be yourself and makes sure your goals match their mission. I interviewed feb12

I'm really excited to hear from them. They really impressed me with how quickly they have managed to get everything together so shortly. They even have an orthopedic residency already starting this year. They basically have all the research opportunities you could want as well.

The interviews are laid back and welcoming. Jasmine is great! She leads the tour and basically is the mc through the day. Just be yourself and makes sure your goals match their mission. I interviewed feb12

I'm really excited to hear from them. They really impressed me with how quickly they have managed to get everything together so shortly. They even have an orthopedic residency already starting this year. They basically have all the research opportunities you could want as well.
+1. Great school you will love every bit

+1. Great school you will love every bit
And there's AU. So, when you do have time to take a break and blow off steam, there's SEC football tickets you have access to.

War Damn Eagle

Remember, VCOM-Auburn was really late to the game compared to other schools. They were behind the eight ball even during the first week of interviews. It's early February and interviews are still going strong all over the country; just think of VCOM-Auburn as 1.5 months behind the curve. In short, you're fine.

Really? It was my first interview last September. Accepted around 3 weeks later.

But they are still interviewing and filling spots, either way.

I'm in!! Did not think that was going to happen :) Guess this California girl is going to have to get used to the South!

Congratulations!

As long as you love it for what it is instead of hating it for what it isn't, I promise you will have a Great Time.

Thank you everyone for all the information! VCOM-Auburn interview experience was incredibly positive and I can't wait to hear the committee's decision on 2/24! Good Luck to my fellow interviewees!

Interviewing on Wednesday, Feb 18th. Anyone else have an interview on that date as well?

Next Tuesday! So anxious and excited for it. Good luck!

P.S. I'm assuming by your name you're a fellow Seminole, so I'm rooting for you too lol

Last edited:
I interviewed on 2/11 and can not say enough about the staff, facilities, and location of this school. It was obvious that everyone I met was on the same page, and had a heart for making this a great institution. This is by a long shot my #1. I'm praying for a phone call from Mrs. Oliver tomorrow! I wish everyone the best.

I feel exactly the same way! Hoping for a call tomorrow too! Wish you the best!
I interviewed on 2/11 and can not say enough about the staff, facilities, and location of this school. It was obvious that everyone I met was on the same page, and had a heart for making this a great institution. This is by a long shot my #1. I'm praying for a phone call from Mrs. Oliver tomorrow! I wish everyone the best.
e

For those of us looking forward to a call tomorrow, what percentage of the applicants being reviewed today will be accepted vs waitlisted?? Anyone have a clue?? I wonder where they are on filling their seats?

The Facebook group for accepted students has just over 100 people which includes CC first year and Admissions people. Hopefully that gives you an idea of the current status of the class.

Granted there's only like 1 CC student and like 1 Admission Staff

Interview scheduled for 3/2!!! I'm so excited! Anyone else have this date?

Last edited:
When I interviewed 2/10 Jasmine said the class was 2/3 full.

You also have to take into account that a portion of those accepted into the class may end up attending school elsewhere, so they will likely accept more than enough to fill the class in anticipation of the last minute withdrawals.