Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite yesterday! I will see you guys September 16th.

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students chime in? I came across something in their clerkship section that seemed to say that all rotations (even away rotations) must be completed at an AOA facility. So, no ACGME away rotation sites? If that's true, that will be the nail in the coffin. Any other schools do the same?
Hi M1 here. Hoping to shed some light on this. Yes, that is the case now and that's how it has been. But with the merger taking place, this will likely change. Especially for C/o 2019. Odds are even our class will be allowed to rotate at ACGME sites. Also, more than half of our graduates here at virginia campus go to an ACGME residency.

Nice~ Did you receive a complete email prior to the call? When were you complete?

Yes, my secondary was submitted and completed the 17th of July, and I received the completion e-mail on August 13th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the interview processes between the Virginia and Carolinas campuses completely separate? It looks like people are receiving interviews at the Carolinas campus as well, but someone on that forum mentioned they try to interview you at your preferred campus. I am trying to figure out if I need to prep for both locations, or if I am only interviewing for Virginia.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

Any ideas on how to approach this essay questions?

What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine.

I have an interfolio school specific question. I submitted my secondary yesterday and LORs. It looked like on interfolio they just need you to send an LOR delivery to the auburn campus and the carolinas/va campus at the same time. Did anyone send out 3 different deliveries or 2 like mine. I sent one to Auburn and 1 to the supposed combined va/carolinas campus. Should I send another one to VA campus separately in case? I think I will it's only a few bucks

Are the interview processes between the Virginia and Carolinas campuses completely separate? It looks like people are receiving interviews at the Carolinas campus as well, but someone on that forum mentioned they try to interview you at your preferred campus. I am trying to figure out if I need to prep for both locations, or if I am only interviewing for Virginia.

I attended the open house at VCOM-VC in March and they stated you may apply to both but only interview at 1!

I attended the open house at VCOM-VC in March and they stated you may apply to both but only interview at 1!

Thanks. I contacted the admissions office today, and they said the same thing.

I never received a completion email. Should I be worried?

I never received a completion email. Should I be worried?

I submitted my secondary on July 10th and did not receive a completion email until August 11th. I wouldn't start freaking out yet.

I just received my complete email yesterday and I was "complete" for ~2.5-3 weeks so it takes a while

Just so everyone knows. I got the call for the II before I got my complete email. They sent the complete email and interview email at the same time.

Make sure y'all post your II's on the official interview invite thread, please. Like to see those stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so everyone knows. I got the call for the II before I got my complete email. They sent the complete email and interview email at the same time.

Just wondering when you submitted your secondary? I can't wait to get a call! :)

Just wondering when you submitted your secondary? I can't wait to get a call! :)

Tuesday the 26th, they called on Friday the 29th, so there were 3 days between submission and interview. I was extremely surprised and must have sounded shocked on the phone. Best of luck!

Applying here. Seems like an interesting school, and I know one of the current MS2 students. Does anyone know if they reject people with "higher stats"? I know some schools will reject students with stats above their averages, because they assume the student is using the school as a "safety". I have a sincere interest in this school, but I do not want to waste the money if they are going to reject me post-secondary.

Hi M1 here. Hoping to shed some light on this. Yes, that is the case now and that's how it has been. But with the merger taking place, this will likely change. Especially for C/o 2019. Odds are even our class will be allowed to rotate at ACGME sites. Also, more than half of our graduates here at virginia campus go to an ACGME residency.
I suppose I should have directed my question towards you. Please see the above post. Thanks.

Is there a match list I can look at? I would like to see where graduates end up.

No II, but got my DO LOR TODAY!!!!

I just left a message and sent an email to VCOM-VC canceling my interview on Tuesday, Sept 16th due to an acceptance at one of my top choice schools. If anyone has a later interview, you might try calling Monday to get my slot.

II via phone just now!! Interviewing on September 30th. Coming from VCU. Hmm, where to stay...

Last edited:
How long did it take to hear back after being complete? I've been complete for a while.

Hey guys, so I got my call for an Interview today at noon. I will be interviewing on the 7th of October. Has anybody gone through their interview rounds yet, and what is the day like? Since it is supposedly from 9-2:30, or so, I am assuming that there are other activities planned for the day (tours, presentations, etc.). Thanks.

Hey guys, so I got my call for an Interview today at noon. I will be interviewing on the 7th of October. Has anybody gone through their interview rounds yet, and what is the day like? Since it is supposedly from 9-2:30, or so, I am assuming that there are other activities planned for the day (tours, presentations, etc.). Thanks.

I interviewed here recently. There is a really good post in last year's thread outlining the interview day, I'd recommend looking it up and reading that.

The TL;DR for that post last year:
Overall the interviews are relaxed and conversational. There are 3 interviews total, 2 faculty and 1 student, all are 30 minutes. There is a driving tour of blacksburg and a student led tour of the school. It was 8 students total. We were broken up into groups of 4 and alternated doing faculty interviews and watching the presentations. Also the lunch is top notch, which is always a plus. Everyone was extremely friendly! They said that they will get back to us within 2 weeks most likely and there is no waitlist at this time of year, it's a yes or a no.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone I met with from the other interviewees to the staff and students were the most welcoming and friendly group I have had the chance to interact with at an interview! Just relax and I am sure your interview will go well

Do they have specific days they interview?

I was offered
Tuesday- Sept. 30

Wednesday- Oct. 1

Tuesday- Oct. 7

Monday- Oct. 13

Monday- Oct. 27

As for the day:

ITINERARY

9:00 a.m. Arrive at VCOM - Introductions

9:30 a.m. Group I: Interview I

Interview II

Group II: VCOM Welcome Presentation

10:30 a.m. Group I: VCOM Welcome Presentation

Group II: Interview I

Interview II

11:30 a.m. Financial Aid Presentation

12:00 p.m. Tour of VCOM Campus & Lunch On-site with VCOM students

1:00 p.m. Interview III w/VCOM student

1:30 p.m. Tour of Blacksburg and Virginia Tech

2:30 p.m. Final Wrap-up

Hope this helps. Anyone else interviewing that day?

How long did it take to hear back after being complete? I've been complete for a while.

I received my "complete" email on September 9th, and the II call came on September 18th.

Any guys interviewing on the 30th, let me know if you want to split a room. I booked the Inn at Virginia tech. Nice place.

For those who interviewed last week ( Sept 16 or 19th) have you heard back from vcom yet?

For those who interviewed last week ( Sept 16 or 19th) have you heard back from vcom yet?

At the interview they said that they would get back within 2 weeks at the most. Looking at last year's thread it seems like they make calls every other friday. I'm hoping to get a call tomorrow!

This is from last year's thread. It's spot on. I'm pretty sure they still meet every other Friday but they didn't tell us that in the wrap up session. They said it may take up to a month and they don't want to make any promises.

INTERVIEW: okay heres how it went.

First of all, Ive never been to Blacksburg, nonetheless Virginia Tech and all the fanfare that comes with such a large university with a D1 football team. I absolutely fell in LOVE with the blacksburg area, the beauty, nature activities like hiking and biking, the cost of living isnt bad, and theres a real strong presence of the students in the community (outreach work, partnerships etc.). They describe it as a 'small town' but honestly compared to what Im used to from my undergrad, Blacksburg isnt really that small of a town. At one point during the interview day, all of us were taken on a van tour through the entire town and VTech campus, and also showed popular living complexes for students. It was a great addition that I dont feel other campuses give their students, just mostly show them their own campus and point in the distance and say 'and thats there too'. They say that as a VCOM student, you are technically also a graduate student over at VTech so you get all the perks and options as a normal VTech graduate student (like dining hall, sports evens, intramural teams, concerts etc.).

ANYWAYS- so interview day started at 930AM, which was a nice change from the usual 7:30AM routine most other schools employ. The campus was really easy to find, and when you entered the admissions staff was there to greet you. Everyone was super friendly and seemed to be sincerely excited to meet all of us. Altogether there were 8 interviewees (5 guys 3 girls) and we were in a conference room as our home base so we could leave things as we came and went during the day. The facility was beautiful, immaculately clean, and modern. The anatomy lab is the best quality Ive ever seen, has wall to wall windows and good ventilation, not the usual dark and dreary basement labs that are typical.
Once we got there, we were given an informational handbook about the school (more like a phonebook) that was very detailed and even had pictures of all current students, faculty etc. We also had a schedule for the day with each interviewee's name and specific interview schedule as well as the faculty doing the interview. There were 8 of us so we were split into 2 groups of 4, where the first group had their first 2 interviews (30 mins each one with a professor and one w a clinician) and the second group sat for a short presentation, then the groups flopped. After the presentation we had lunch. We were given a paper at the beginning w the lunch options and we could pick what we wanted. It was good but there werent really gluten free options and when I wrote gluten allergy on my salad they still dumped a bunch of croutons all over it haha. Anyways, we ate with 2 current MS1 students and were able to pick their minds about their time at VCOM so far. They were both VTech graduates so they knew the area very well and seemed very comfortable with the rigorous block schedule they use. After lunch we had our 3rd interview with a current MS2 student, then the van tour of the campus, a financial aid presentation, and a wrapup.

The interviews were pretty laid back, conversational, and the time flew by so quick it felt like no time at all. It was open file so they knew everything about us beforehand and so asked a few questions about our history. My first interview with a clinician was great, but the second one was a little tougher. A lot of tough questions were asked like- what is the most pressing issue healthcare today and how would you fix that? I stumbled a little bit, but the interviewer helped keep the conversation moving along. Be sure to back up any red flags on your transcript (like a C in a required class) because they most definitely will ask about it. Of course, they did their best to make sure you didnt feel like you were under fire, but be prepared for anything. The student interview was reallllly laid back and its closed file- they dont know a thing about you except your name. They have a list of pre-arranged questions they can ask and they select a few from that. I liked the student interview the best because they really just wanted to get to know you rather than nit-pick things about your file, and they had been in your shoes 2 years ago so understand the pressure of interview situations.

The wrapup session was real quick, we found out that the interview committee meets every other friday to discuss candidates and right afterward make phone calls. If its an acceptance theyll call you, if rejection they will email. There is no waitlist because they feel that anyone who is worth being waitlisted is worth being accepted, so its yes or no. Theyll meet next friday so we will have a decision by friday which is really exciting, what a quick turnaround! Another great thing is that when you get your decision you dont have to decide until december, rather than put another deposit down to wait for other schools.

i absolutely loved this school, its definitely my number 1 so I would be absolutely honored to hear some good news next week. The wait is just about going to kill me. Hope this helps everyone in their upcoming interviews, good luck!

Interviewed 9/19 and ACCEPTED. Just got the phone call!! So psyched :D

Reactions: 3 users
+4 accepted!! YAYAYAYAY

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone's completion email say they would hear back in September and haven't heard back?

Complete here on 9/12, but haven't heard anything back. Anyone else in the same situation? Think it's time for a call?

I got a phone call for an II today. Complete 9/4. The interview is scheduled for 10/22; however, it's for the Auburn campus. The person I spoke with in Admissions was from the Carolina campus, since the Auburn building is not complete. They said they are holding interviews at Auburn, though. I asked about the possibility of a slot at the VC campus (I reported that as my first choice on my app), and she said it was a possibility. Anyone know anything about how that works, in terms of campus selection?

Regardless, I'm very excited! For those interested, stats are 3.4/3.3/27, not from Appalachian area.

I got a phone call for an II today. Complete 9/4. The interview is scheduled for 10/22; however, it's for the Auburn campus. The person I spoke with in Admissions was from the Carolina campus, since the Auburn building is not complete. They said they are holding interviews at Auburn, though. I asked about the possibility of a slot at the VC campus (I reported that as my first choice on my app), and she said it was a possibility. Anyone know anything about how that works, in terms of campus selection?

Regardless, I'm very excited! For those interested, stats are 3.4/3.3/27, not from Appalachian area.

I am wondering the same thing, I just received an II from Auburn via Carolinas and I had applied to Virginia Campus. WOuld be fine either way, but Virginia is already established and it may be nice not to be the experimental first class! 3.25/3.65/28. From Utah.