This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any news from case western reserve university?

Members don't see this ad.

Can I have some input from any of you that applied and/or got accepted this cycle ??

I'm a recent graduate from dental school. I've been working for the past 3 months and I've been soaking up as much experience that I can in endo. as I can in the private practice setting. I've been trying to learn more through endo. CE's as well.

If I would like to make myself as competitive as possible before applying for the opening 2017 cycle next year-- what do I need to do to get as much 'experience' as possible? My stats graduating were 3.1 GPA and graduated middle
Of my class =(

I understand most programs want experience--- but does that mean as a GP and in terms of efficiency and speed as a GP... or would they like me to get as much ENDO experience working as a general dentist?

Obviously as much endo experience is preferred- but what do they specifically look for when programs want EXPERIENCE?

Can I have some input from any of you that applied and/or got accepted this cycle ??

I'm a recent graduate from dental school. I've been working for the past 3 months and I've been soaking up as much experience that I can in endo. as I can in the private practice setting. I've been trying to learn more through endo. CE's as well.

If I would like to make myself as competitive as possible before applying for the opening 2017 cycle next year-- what do I need to do to get as much 'experience' as possible? My stats graduating were 3.1 GPA and graduated middle
Of my class =(

I understand most programs want experience--- but does that mean as a GP and in terms of efficiency and speed as a GP... or would they like me to get as much ENDO experience working as a general dentist?

Obviously as much endo experience is preferred- but what do they specifically look for when programs want EXPERIENCE?

I think often they prefer someone with experience, not because of his or her efficiency, speed, or the practice years, but because you gain insight and passion for the specialty through experience. Experience is one good way for you to tell the programs, "I've tried many, but I really like this specialty, and I would like to know more." Having said, your numbers will be much more important than your experience to gain a spot. I doubt your candidacy will improve significantly just by having more experience; it would be much more important to develop your own story about the experience. I would take the ADAT, and then decide whether to apply at all. This silly exam was required by many programs in the last cycle, and I would only anticipate more programs will join. FYI, I applied 9 programs and received invites for interview from 7.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI
NYU-LMC has officially opened their Endo programs back up. They have 2 locations. NY and Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico requires you to speak spanish. So if you know spanish you just increased your chances of getting into a program. So because its Lutheran you do get a stipend (which is reducing from $40K to 24K next year, according to one of the directors at LMC) and tuition is $6,800/year.

I am thinking of applying for endo residency in the upcoming 2017-2018 cycle. I am hoping to stay in the bay area, so I was wondering if anyone can provide me with some more info/thoughts about the pros/cons of UCSF program vs the UOP program. I know there is a big difference in cost since UCSF offers a stipend and UOP has a huge tuition, but clinically what do people think are the pros/cons? Thanks for any feedback!

How early is EARLY for applying to endo? I know that the application cycle opens in May 17th this year... but what is considered EARLY/ Competitive?

... By the end of May? By mid-June?

How early is EARLY for applying to endo? I know that the application cycle opens in May 17th this year... but what is considered EARLY/ Competitive?

... By the end of May? By mid-June?

I was going to try and get everything in by mid-June..it seems applicants started getting interviews around July the last few cycles.

Does anyone have a list of endo programs that interview/accept D4s? It's very difficult finding that information anywhere on the web..

1 school interviewed at the beginning of June last year. The rest seemed to be in July and early August. To have your application in by the end of May or early June seems competitive.
I don't know of any list of programs that accept D4's but I know Iowa and Washington accepted some students right out of school last year. I'm sure there are more.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
It's that time of the year!
Hopefully the application process is going very well for all of you (and studying, for those of us that are taking ADAT soon)
I don't see a lot of activity regarding this super awesome specialty on SDN, so I decided to make a thread for this application cycle.
Let's all post interview dates and keep this thread going!
Please feel free to write any question regarding the application, and hopefully someone can answer them.

Good luck to everyone! (and me :p)
How Did you study for the ADAT?

Hi everyone,
It's that time of the year!
Hopefully the application process is going very well for all of you (and studying, for those of us that are taking ADAT soon)
I don't see a lot of activity regarding this super awesome specialty on SDN, so I decided to make a thread for this application cycle.
Let's all post interview dates and keep this thread going!
Please feel free to write any question regarding the application, and hopefully someone can answer them.

Good luck to everyone! (and me :p)
Does anybody know what programs accept applicants without the ADAT? I just have the nbde 1 and 2 and I want to know how much chance I have to be considered. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good amount of programs accept it

UIC requires it for this upcoming cycle, I've confirmed. Not 100% sure about the others but UWash does say they will require it starting this year on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anybody know what they look for in an applicant>? I mean people that went to interview or already got accepted? any guidance pls?

How definitive is this list? I have friends that were offered positions at two of those programs last year without taking the ADAT, so I question the accuracy.

I have NBDE 1 and 2 scores.

The list is continually being updated. Some programs that didn't require it last year are requiring it this year. Best way to know for sure is to call the program.

Does anybody know what they look for in an applicant>? I mean people that went to interview or already got accepted? any guidance pls?

They are mostly looking for someone that will be a good fit for their program. It will be long hours everyday with the same small group of people so they want someone that will work well with the other residents and faculty, not just the smartest person in the room. The newer the grad, the higher the gpa, more extracurriculars and lower class rank. If you have done research, better. Not a requirement however and people get accepted without it. Same with an aegd or gpr. The further away from graduation those things seemed to matter a little less. They also don't like to hear about how as a general dentist you are god's gift to endododontics because if you are that good why are you wanting to do a residency. You really have to show an interest and passion for endo. Strong letters of recommendation and a very strong personal statement. It should be at a higher level than the dental school personal statement (not just "I like to work with my hands and want to help people"). ADAT scores will likely become a much bigger factor in the next few years. Hope this helps.

Do you know which programs commonly accept D4s? It's hard to find an accurate list

Do you know which programs commonly accept D4s? It's hard to find an accurate list

I only know that Iowa and Washington did last year. There are probably many more that accept D4's.

From my understanding, the general number of endo programs that accept students still in dental school is lower every year. This could be for various reasons. They do get a lot of people apply from AEGD/GPR residencies so you have to realize that you are competing against those guys who has done tons more endo than you ever will do in dental school.
So basicly, your options are to try you luck and apply during you D3-D4 cycle and if you dont get in than go to a AEGD/GPR and apply the following year.

I have a question for the previous applicants. Did you guys have to send a college transcript/ dental school transcript directly to programs? or do you need to send electronically to PASS?
Would it be a good idea to get the official college transcript mail to me and get them ready to send to programs when application cycle opens?
Thanks

I have a question for the previous applicants. Did you guys have to send a college transcript/ dental school transcript directly to programs? or do you need to send electronically to PASS?
Would it be a good idea to get the official college transcript mail to me and get them ready to send to programs when application cycle opens?
Thanks

You have some homework to do. Some programs require only PASS, some require PASS and additional information, and some require their own applications.

Use the AAE website and each program's website to determine what you need to submit to each program.

Also, NO program will allow you to mail your own transcripts/scores/etc to them. All that information will need to come directly from the sourc.

You have some homework to do. Some programs require only PASS, some require PASS and additional information, and some require their own applications.

Use the AAE website and each program's website to determine what you need to submit to each program.

Also, NO program will allow you to mail your own transcripts/scores/etc to them. All that information will need to come directly from the sourc.

How come? If i dont' open the OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT (mailed to my house) and send that to the programs- won't that still be an OFFICIAL transcript if it remains unopened??