EVMS waitlist movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my letter of acceptance yesterday in the mail!!!! Easily, one of the best days of my life. I still can't believe it. I am an OOS male from the top 3rd of the waiting list. Now I can put away my MCAT books, that is the best part I think haha. Good luck to everyone out there!

Congratulations! Did you get a phone call first or just the letter?

Members don't see this ad.

How long did the letter give you to respond? I changed my address and am afraid if something comes it will be delayed due to forwarding.

How long did the letter give you to respond? I changed my address and am afraid if something comes it will be delayed due to forwarding.

If I were you I would call weekly just to check. Or maybe talk to someone and let them know about your address change. Maybe request that they call you instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
I was accepted last week OOS F. Norfolk here I come!
For those of you still waiting, call regularly. They will tell you any updates on the phone, plus you look super interested!

out-of-state acceptances is a good thing, i think.

Come on IN STATE!!!! Let's get moving! :luck::luck::luck:

Its great for EVMS. Lots of money. In fact, EVMS raised the tuition to:

IS - $23,980
OOS - $44,328

No wonder they changed the composition of the class to have more OOS and fewer IS.

Hi all,

I was a OOS upper third waitlist, got an acceptance letter like a week ago. I withdrew so hopefully that helps somebody out.

Going to RFU! I know, crazy weather for a girl from Cali.

Good luck all.

Its great for EVMS. Lots of money. In fact, EVMS raised the tuition to:

IS - $23,980
OOS - $44,328

Yeah, but the Virginia State Legislature just passed a bill making them an official state institution, which makes them eligible for a crapload of state money that they haven't been getting before. It also means they have to up their IS percentages a little bit, but probably not this year.

So it doesn't seem like that they'll even get through the upper 1/3 for OOS. I was told I'm in the bottom half of the upper 1/3 and when I asked how the list was moving she said slow...doesn't sound good

IS Female, WL since October, upper third, sent LOI, LOVE EVMS :love: :biglove:

I can't believe I am in! I had given up all hope. :wow:

Snail mail letter arrived today! Good luck to those still waiting. I know how much it sucks!

Members don't see this ad :)
bump!

just curious, for those of us who are still waiting, and for those who have been accepted:

have you been in contact with evms... by writing an loi, or a writing/talking with dr solhaug, or by calling the admissions office?

i just want to see what people are doing, and if it is working!

bump!

just curious, for those of us who are still waiting, and for those who have been accepted:

have you been in contact with evms... by writing an loi, or a writing/talking with dr solhaug, or by calling the admissions office?

i just want to see what people are doing, and if it is working!

i've been calling, done the loi, but dr solhaug keeps eluding me. don't really know what else to do at this point but to reapply.

just got the call today!

so they are calling now? that's relief, because all the secretaries are getting to know me, because i call EVERY DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Come on IN STATE!!!! Let's get moving! :luck::luck::luck:

I released my IS Male spot around 2 weeks ago, I hope one of you guys got it. Good luck to all of you. Congrats Babyg801!

I released my IS Male spot around 2 weeks ago, I hope one of you guys got it. Good luck to all of you. Congrats Babyg801!

I called today to check. They told me, "there has been almost no IS movement." And sure enough, I am still on the waitlist.

I am likely dropping my waitlist spot and heading to LECOM-B (DO) in Florida. My family and I just can't wait for EVMS any longer...I might be able to give them another week or so, but hopefully there will be a little less competition for you guys.

Good luck!

bump! the admissions office confirms that waitlist movement has been very, very slow. hopefully there will be some post-holiday withdrawals!!

so there have been no withdrawals since june. argh!!!!!!!!

the lack of activity on this thread is sad. anyone thinking of withdrawing their OOS acceptance?? here's hoping to a little more wait list movement...

I know someone who just got accepted OOS yesterday. Admissions told my friend around a month ago that the acceptance would be coming "soon." I've been hearing similar stories from friends about UVA and MCV this year. Virginia schools' waitlists just don't seem to be moving...

I know someone who just got accepted OOS yesterday. Admissions told my friend around a month ago that the acceptance would be coming "soon." I've been hearing similar stories from friends about UVA and MCV this year. Virginia schools' waitlists just don't seem to be moving...
UVA waaaaaaay overbooked their class this year. They were struggling to get it down, and I'm not sure if they did. The increase in class size was supposed to come for the 2010 matriculating (or maybe 2011, I forget) to coincide with the completion of the new building, but may come now.

UVA waaaaaaay overbooked their class this year. They were struggling to get it down, and I'm not sure if they did. The increase in class size was supposed to come for the 2010 matriculating (or maybe 2011, I forget) to coincide with the completion of the new building, but may come now.

Oh really? Hadn't heard that. What's the class size going to be this year, do you know?

I think the new building will be completed in 2010...

WOOHOO!!!! - just got my acceptance phone call yesterday afternoon - so there is still hope for all!!! I am IS male from the top third waitlist. Now all I need is a place to live - any ideas, options or roommates needed???
Can't wait to meet all of you!

WOOHOO!!!! - just got my acceptance phone call yesterday afternoon - so there is still hope for all!!! I am IS male from the top third waitlist. Now all I need is a place to live - any ideas, options or roommates needed???
Can't wait to meet all of you!

omg, they're only in the top third for IS? yikes!

congrats out the wazoo, but dang, there's no hope for those of us further down the list.

that new VA med school needs to hurry up and open so we can get some more seats available for IS students!

omg, they're only in the top third for IS? yikes!

congrats out the wazoo, but dang, there's no hope for those of us further down the list.

that new VA med school needs to hurry up and open so we can get some more seats available for IS students!

That new VA med school is only going to have, like, 40 seats or something. They want to be very small, very exclusive, and very, very research based. With that small of a class they can pick the cream of the crop and become an "instant" top tier school. Oh, and I think they're going to be private, so no preference for Va residents. We lose.

Or, at least, you guys do. I am now in Florida at LECOM-B (DO) and am LOVING it. EVMS just took too long, and I couldn't wait around any longer. We just finished our first week here, and I've been very, very impressed with the faculty thus far...we're only in anatomy and histo right now, but the profs are AMAZING. They know their stuff and are spectacular lecturers.

Also, the weather is waaaay better than Va. I was expecting hotter, worse summers, but it's actually LESS humid, and much much nicer.

Anyways, just an update...

That new VA med school is only going to have, like, 40 seats or something. They want to be very small, very exclusive, and very, very research based. With that small of a class they can pick the cream of the crop and become an "instant" top tier school. Oh, and I think they're going to be private, so no preference for Va residents. We lose.

Or, at least, you guys do. I am now in Florida at LECOM-B (DO) and am LOVING it. EVMS just took too long, and I couldn't wait around any longer. We just finished our first week here, and I've been very, very impressed with the faculty thus far...we're only in anatomy and histo right now, but the profs are AMAZING. They know their stuff and are spectacular lecturers.

Also, the weather is waaaay better than Va. I was expecting hotter, worse summers, but it's actually LESS humid, and much much nicer.

Anyways, just an update...

True...even the public VA schools don't have that much of a preference for IS students. I really wish at least one of them would be exclusive for in-staters, but no such luck. I figure the new school-private or not-will have to take a chunk of VA students in order to save face. It would look really bad if their inaugural class was primary OOS kids.

I've applied to LECOM-B for this cycle, good to hear FL weather isn't that bad. I was worried that if VA was awful, then FL would be worse!

Reactions: 1 user
True...even the public VA schools don't have that much of a preference for IS students. I really wish at least one of them would be exclusive for in-staters, but no such luck. I figure the new school-private or not-will have to take a chunk of VA students in order to save face. It would look really bad if their inaugural class was primary OOS kids.

I've applied to LECOM-B for this cycle, good to hear FL weather isn't that bad. I was worried that if VA was awful, then FL would be worse!

That's what I thought! But Florida (at least Sarasota/Bradenton) is much more temperate. Only 2 days has it approached Virginia heat, and each time, it rained for 15 minutes and was gorgeous again.

Regarding LECOM-B...PM me and I'll see if I can help...

Hey guys...

I have joined the ranks of THE WAITLIST for the 2009-2010 school year. I have been placed on the top 1/3 of the list. I know this is an older forum, but I was just curious if anyone has any experience from being on that portion on the list... Did you get in? Did you not? When did you know? Was it annoying? (I imagine yes...) Anyway, if anyone still comes across this forum, I'd love to know!

Thanks!

Steve

Hey guys...

I have joined the ranks of THE WAITLIST for the 2009-2010 school year. I have been placed on the top 1/3 of the list. I know this is an older forum, but I was just curious if anyone has any experience from being on that portion on the list... Did you get in? Did you not? When did you know? Was it annoying? (I imagine yes...) Anyway, if anyone still comes across this forum, I'd love to know!

Thanks!

Steve

I was on the upper 1/3 of the OOS waitlist (bottom half of the upper 1/3 was the most I could find out over the phone) and did not get accepted last year. They take people off the waitlist until a week after the school year starts.

I'm also in the top third for the 09 cycle. WL in late October. I actually worry about being pushed further down the waitlist because they must have had some well qualified interviewees (you all!) after me. I'm lucky I was accepted at PCOM, but I would like EVMS to create a difficult decision and accept me.

Here's to a couple months of waiting.. GL EVERYONE!

Has anyone ever been accepted from the bottom 1/3 of the WL?

anybody heard anything from this cycle? When should we start seeing movement?

What are everyone's stats? Good luck to everyone... hopefully we will all be classmates!

Has anyone ever been accepted from the bottom 1/3 of the WL?

It has happened before, but not recently. I know of current students who were that far down the waitlist, but things have been getting so much more competitive in recent years that relying heavily on the waitlist hasn't occurred.

FWIW, everybody, the OOS waitlist tends to move more than the IS one. If you are below the top 1/3 IS (M or F), I wouldn't count on getting in. Keep your fingers crossed for the other three VA schools and/or look into reapplying. I was on the stinking waitlist last year for 8 months and it barely budged the whole time. Good times, right?

I'll bump this old thread. I'm an OOS and interviewed in late February. Called 1 1/2 weeks later to find out I'm in the top 1/3. Hopefully there will be some movement and I'll find a big envelope in my mailbox :D

I'll bump this old thread. I'm an OOS and interviewed in late February. Called 1 1/2 weeks later to find out I'm in the top 1/3. Hopefully there will be some movement and I'll find a big envelope in my mailbox :D

You've definitely got a reasonable chance of acceptance.

Like it's been said, unless this cycle is drastically different from recent years, don't hold your breath if you're IS and outside the top 1/3. If you're OOS you can afford to be a little lower on the list, but not too much lower.

There has been a new EVMS Waitlist Movement thread for this year created in the School-Specific Discussion subforum, which can be accessed from the top of the pre-allo main page. The specific thread can be found here. I highly recommend using that new thread rather than this outdated one :)

Thanks, that helps. I think I'll send a LOI if I can't get ahold of Dr. Solhaug. I'm really excited b/c this school is at the top of my list.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.