Finding the perfect place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mylez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'll be moving to Corvallis in the fall and I am curious if anyone has any recommendations in general about finding the perfect place. My current limiter is my dog, an aussie cross who definitely needs a yard. Do you recommend putting ads in the paper for housing (do they help?). Any hints on finding a place? I'm not in panic mode yet, but finding my "dream" place early would be nice!

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely recommend doing what I did... have a parent go and buy you a house to live in while you're in school. It's an investment!

But, seriously, not all of us have insanely proud parents who would work after retirement to "take care" of us. Now you all hate me! Go NOW, and on the way use the airport's internet access to get Craigslist listings for pet friendly. Finding a place in Davis for undergrad was a big ol' joke (and daddy wasn't very proud of a stupid old BS degree program)- so I HAVE been in your shoes... two dogs, a husband, and a 3 BR house to move. Also, definitely contact WSU-CVM and see if they have any listings from other incoming or current vet students looking for a roommate for a place they already have or are in your same shoes. I know that MSU hooks up about 15% of incoming students every year this way.

DO NOT take a room with someone still in undergrad. BAD IDEA. DO NOT fall for the "graduate student" dorms either. Everyone I know who went this route was seriously angry with themselves (and homicidal towards their neighbors).

I think that is enough to get started. Get your deposit in early. Like, back in May... cause the good dog-friendly apts go fast, and dog-friendly house owners are hard to find.

Good luck, and MAJOR congrats on getting into WSU. I totally wanted to go there!

J

Hey Mylez, check with the office as they might have some info for students looking for roommates. I think the latest info packet may have even mentioned this. Dog-friendly places fill up fast in Corvallis but definitely check on craigslist and the local newspaper, Gazette-Times. I'll let you know if I hear of anything that might work for you. I'll be there in the fall too but we'll be buying a house in Albany, where its much cheaper to buy than in Corvallis. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely recommend doing what I did... have a parent go and buy you a house to live in while you're in school. It's an investment!

Haha, an investment in the middle of a housing bust. ;)

Isn't Corvallis in Oregon?

when i look for a house for rent i check out remax.com or realtor.com and i just mapquest the addresses to the school to see the distance. and if i have the address i look at zillow.com to see the neighborhood, how big the lot is, how close to major streets it is..stuff like that. also check with the school if they recommend a rental management company that does housing.

good luck!!

Haha, an investment in the middle of a housing bust. ;)

Are you kidding me? I live in MICHIGAN!!! No housing bust is even COMPARABLE! Nearly a third of the houses in MI are for sale. But, having a home close to the vet school will never let you down... you can always rent it to vet students. And real estate is real. And eventually always turns around- unlike stocks.

J

Thanks for all of the recommendations thus far.

I am moderately (ok, severely addicted) to craigslist since I found it last week or so. I think it's a lot more helpful than the online classifieds for Corvallis! I have found some houses that would maybe work, but it's hard to convince the people to let me put a deposit down for the fall (and harder for me to want to if I can't even get pictures!).

PDX, do let me know if you see anything you think would work. The hardest part for me is my dog. She pretty much has to be let out in the afternoon as I crate her when I am gone and she's had a history of chronic UTIs and gets obsessed about going out to pee (even when she doesn't have to) if she is locked up for too long. I don't think that not having a yard would be an option--I love her but I'm not that dedicated to wake up early and take her for a walk and then again in the afternoon and at night. Once a day is enough for me!

PDX, do you suggest waiting and hoping that something will turn up, or choking down the cost of rent if I can't make a deposit to move in in the fall?

Thanks again for all the tips. Does anyone recommend putting an ad in the paper. I'm not keen on having a roommate for the upcoming year but I will get one if necessary.

Places go pretty fast in Corvallis. Its kind of a small town with lots of college kids. I wouldn't pass up a good place if you came across it. I've known some friends to end up in some pretty crappy apartments because they waited until the last minute. I know roommates may seem less than ideal but really if want to pay less than $600 its probably the way to go. If you did decide on sharing a house then I would look for some other vet or graduate students to room with at least for the first year. Then it will be easier to scope out a better place for the second year once you've been in town for awhile. Plus if your roommates are responsible then they can let your dog out to go to the bathroom for you. If you're living close to campus then you can always run home on lunch to let your dog out. But one caveat about living too close to campus is the huge number of hooting and hollering frat boys on party nights. Which really got old for me when I was in grad school. Also I don't relish the sight of some guy peeing in my yard at 1 am while my dog is barking her head off. :) Let me know if I can help. If you have some places that your interested in, you can always send me the address and I can let you know about the neighborhood. My husband and I both lived there for 4 years and he was a delivery driver so he pretty much knows every street like the back of his hand. Good luck.