This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are IMG's known to get any SOAP interviews/offers or what, saw the reddit post posted on this thread recently but seems like they're all AMG's there, anyone have any experiences with this as an IMG or know anyone

I Matched! yay............

To those who didn't match, I will just say be persistent. Try to find as much clinical experience, research etc as much possible. I know that feeling was there last year. Keep up the spirit.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are IMG's known to get any SOAP interviews/offers or what, saw the reddit post posted on this thread recently but seems like they're all AMG's there, anyone have any experiences with this as an IMG or know anyone
Not much but still try your best. I didn't get any interview through soap last year.

One of the programs I interviewed is on soap list .. if I apply there does it increase my chances in anyway
DO NOT waste your applications on this program. They already decided that they would rather SOAP than have you in the program. You were DNRed (do not rank) for whatever reason, and they will not interview you again in the SOAP. Move on to other programs.

Reactions: 1 user
yea seems to be a heavily AMG favored process, for the ones that fall thru the cracks. i think the IMGs get the third round kinda spots

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry for the late update guys...was helping friends with SOAP stuff...

Matched with 3 interviews.... one of the best moment of my entire life...

Reactions: 15 users
Congratulations to everybody who matched and who didn't I wish you best of luck in SOAP. if you guys don't mind please provide your stats like step 1 , step 2, publications, first time pass cs. also people didn't match please post your stats . I am debating to apply for IM vs. Family . it would be much appreciated .

I am sorry for the late update guys...was helping friends with SOAP stuff...

Matched with 3 interviews.... one of the best moment of my entire life...
Congrats! Feels good when you get what you want even though the stats aren't in your favor

Congrats! Feels good when you get what you want even though the stats aren't in your favor
Thanks man and same to you!!! and yeah feels good to match with 3 interviews...was **** scared as this was my 3rd match...

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know the chances of matching onto your number 1 choice as an img?

Matched with 5 ranks :)!! Best day of my life hands down!!!

Reactions: 7 users

There isn’t a straight answer for this. Can you as an img match at your #1? Yes ofcourse. What are the chances? This depends on how has the prog ranked you compared to others and how desirable this prog is for those others.

Only Friday can tell you this. If you have matched, i would be just happy about that for now. Cheers!

Any IMG fellow if get a call during soap, please post your experience.

Last year it was 49% of matched independent applicants going to their first choice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190205-143737_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190205-143737_Drive.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 128
Congratulations to everybody who matched and who didn't I wish you best of luck in SOAP. if you guys don't mind please provide your stats like step 1 , step 2, publications, first time pass cs. also people didn't match please post your stats . I am debating to apply for IM vs. Family . it would be much appreciated .
Most of us have already given our stats as well as number of interviews, rejections and rank list. If you type any username on the search bar and click select this thread only, you can find them.

Reactions: 4 users
Best of luck to everybody going through SOAP, we're rooting for you!

Reactions: 6 users
If anybody has offers in SOAP keep us posted , doesn’t have to be details about program, just to keep the spirits up

Just a small TIP for those who are interviewing:

Always remember to highlight A) what makes you special (provide example) and B) how will it make their life easier.

For instance you are talking about being a good team player, you can add to your answer something like “I strongly believe that people don’t enjoy being difficult but difficult situations make them react in ways that seem harsh. As a team player i understand that i will always encounter people in difficult situations (that’s just the nature of business we are in) and it is on me to decide if i want to take things personally or help make the difficult situation easier to deal with. At the end of the day i always focus on doing things that will bring about a positive work environment. This not only peomotes a healthy working relations with staff but also impacts the service we provide to our patients”

Of course, back it up with a quick example and wrap up your answer in less than 2 minutes.

Just a small TIP for those who are interviewing:

Always remember to highlight A) what makes you special (provide example) and B) how will it make their life easier.

For instance you are talking about being a good team player, you can add to your answer something like “I strongly believe that people don’t enjoy being difficult but difficult situations make them react in ways that seem harsh. As a team player i understand that i will always encounter people in difficult situations (that’s just the nature of business we are in) and it is on me to decide if i want to take things personally or help make the difficult situation easier to deal with. At the end of the day i always focus on doing things that will bring about a positive work environment. This not only peomotes a healthy working relations with staff but also impacts the service we provide to our patients”

Of course, back it up with a quick example and wrap up your answer in less than 2 minutes.

This is perfect advice. A lot of people will say what makes them special, but so few actually back it up with a concrete example. This is why so many interviewers asked us "a time when x happened".

Good luck to all those in the SOAP!

When does the IM residency actually start- June 1st week or July 1st week
Official start date of every residency program is July 1st. But all programs have orientation that could range from 1 week to 3 weeks prior to July 1st, which is completely up to each program. No way to know until after you match and they send out all the necessary info.

For those who are soaping- keep your head up! We are with you!

Congratulations to all those who matched!!! I hope I get a match in SOAP. feeling so bad:(

If you don’t just know that it is not the ens of the world! You will match next year if not this year. Please pm me if you need to vent !

If you don’t just know that it is not the ens of the world! You will match next year if not this year. Please pm me if you need to vent !
Thank you so much :) Yes, this is not the end. Yesterday I was feeling really bad when I saw that email, now I'm better. Hope to get some IVs in SOAP.

it's really effed up you guys have to deal with this ****ty nrmp/eras server lag bs. This is really unprofessional on their part, glitches and all should not be happening.

What do you guys think about applying for prelim surgery during soap?

It could be easy to get a surgery prelim during SOAP, but you should have a reason to convince the PD. Doing a surgery year and applying for IM next season is more helpful than doing research or observerships. At the end, having a year of "hand-on experience" as a resident is way way better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.