This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1st invite to Uconn!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
See, now the problem is the thread has bit the hand of the people that actually have these answers. I matched three years ago, that may be too far out for some, but I'll give it a shot. The programs that prematch are the bottom of the barrel, they are the ones that know they have 0 chance of getting AMG's, and therefore want the best shot at IMG's. It is almost predatory, as if you get a prematch offer, you cannot enter the real match, leaving you to choose between a rock and a hard place, a guaranteed spot at a low program vs a chance at something better in the match. If you have a red or yellow flag in your app, i would take this interview and run.

Thank you so much for replying ☺️ I believe that my biggest red flag is that I need a visa... but my step scores are pretty ok ( 250+ on both) and the rest of the CV is not bad either, so according to what you said, maybe pre Match is not the best idea for me... I have received 6 IV so far, so maybe I should skip this one. Thank you again for confirming my suspicions

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for replying ☺️ I believe that my biggest red flag is that I need a visa... but my step scores are pretty ok ( 250+ on both) and the rest of the CV is not bad either, so according to what you said, maybe pre Match is not the best idea for me... I have received 6 IV so far, so maybe I should skip this one. Thank you again for confirming my suspicions
Would you be kind enough to share the places where you got interview offers?

We have such similar stats! Congrats! Nothing for me yet :(
You'll get it going soon. There are a lot of variables in the day to day, so you should get it in the near future. You'll be fine man, keep the faith!

I think this is a good choice. If you had a fail, or were 5 years out, and didn't have interviews, I would consider attending. My advice is to be careful when you begin turning down interviews that are not pre-match, I have had a good number of colleagues not match because they only attended and ranked university programs. Make sure you keep some safeties on your list!

Reactions: 1 user
Dont think youre any less than anyone who has received interviews! It also depends on the order at which they review the apps!
Yeah. Just super soul crushing. All the what if scenarios running through my head now. Applied to 230+ programs with average scores and publications. US citizen. 1 Year USCE. Submitted on the 15th. 4 Strong LORs. Complete silence in my inbox. No rejection or IV offers. Just stupid acknowledgements the 1st week which have died down since last week.

Yeah. Just super soul crushing. All the what if scenarios running through my head now. Applied to 230+ programs with average scores and publications. US citizen. 1 Year USCE. Submitted on the 15th. 4 Strong LORs. Complete silence in my inbox. No rejection or IV offers. Just stupid acknowledgements the 1st week which have died down since last week.
I hear ya. Same situation here but 2 Rej (UF for neuro and Austin Dell for IM), be positive thats the only thing we have!

Reactions: 1 users
+2 Mt Sinai Medical Center (Miami) and Lincoln Medical Center (NY)

Reactions: 11 users
Step 1: 228
Step 2 CK: 229
Step 2 CS: Pass
all first attempts
3 poster conference presentations
ECFMG certification hasn't began yet, still waiting for my diploma to be sent out.
Non-US IMG.
Caribbean medical student(not from top 4 schools), so 1.5 years of USCE.
Applied to 155 IM programs.
4 LOR's, 1 is from a PD.

So far, no interviews, no rejections.
Studying for step 3 currently, hoping to take it by November or December.

I know my application isn't strong by any means, any advice on what I can do, has emailing programs helped anyone?
Also, do you think it hurts that I won't be ECFMG certified for at least another month?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 228
Step 2 CK: 229
Step 2 CS: Pass
all first attempts
3 poster conference presentations
ECFMG certification hasn't began yet, still waiting for my diploma to be sent out.
Caribbean medical student(not from top 4 schools), so 1.5 years of USCE.
Non-US IMG.
Applied to 155 IM programs.
4 LOR's, 2 of them are strong, 1 is from a PD.
ECFMG certification still pending, waiting for my diploma to be sent out.
No connections. Although I did do my IM rotation at medstar harbor, so I may get an interview from the medstar combined residency program.

So far, no interviews, no rejections.
Studying for step 3 currently, hoping to take it by November or December.

I know my application isn't strong by any means, any advice on what I can do, has emailing programs helped anyone?
Also, do you think it hurts that I won't be ECFMG certified for at least another month?
Hang in there, buddy. Your credential looked good! You will do fine.

I think this is a good choice. If you had a fail, or were 5 years out, and didn't have interviews, I would consider attending. My advice is to be careful when you begin turning down interviews that are not pre-match, I have had a good number of colleagues not match because they only attended and ranked university programs. Make sure you keep some safeties on your list!
Oh for sure... I am an IMG and beggars can’t be choosers... i definetely am not turning down any interviews besides this one because of the pre match situation. Thank you again ☺️

Would you be kind enough to share the places where you got interview offers?

Of course ... Lankenau Medical center , Rochester General hospital, st Barnabas, Lincoln medical center, Icahn/ mount Sinai SLR and UCI ( neuro)

Reactions: 5 users
How can anyone still be optimistic at this moment? I'm sad!!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone who has got an interview and those who haven't, the season is still young! Hold strong. Quick question -- does it matter if you get an interview through only an email and not through ERAS? I got one interview directly via email and I am wondering if it is just a courtesy interview (I know someone in this program) and maybe that is why it was sent out informally and not through ERAS? I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone who has got an interview and those who haven't, the season is still young! Hold strong. Quick question -- does it matter if you get an interview through only an email and not through ERAS? I got one interview directly via email and I am wondering if it is just a courtesy interview (I know someone in this program) and maybe that is why it was sent out informally and not through ERAS? I don't know. Just thinking out loud.
You would have to find out how they normally send invites. Some programs email, some use eras, some interview broker. Whats important is that you got an interview, and should prepare well for it. Programs dont have time to just be nice, they spend a lot of time and money on each applicant. Just because you have a connection does not mean its a courtesy. Congrats and good luck!

You would have to find out how they normally send invites. Some programs email, some use eras, some interview broker. Whats important is that you got an interview, and should prepare well for it. Programs
dont have time to just be nice, they spend a lot of time and money on each applicant. Just because you have a connection does not mean its a courtesy. Congrats and good luck!

Makes sense. Yeah, it is my top choice so far. Hence, the apprehension. Thanks a tonne! You help me gain a positive perspective!

Hey congrats, would you mind sharing your credentials?
Of course.

Non US- IMG
Step 1 - 241
Step 2 - 250
Step 2CS - pass
ECFMG certified
2 months of USCE
2 LOR from US
2 LoR non US

Currently working in Emergency Department in London.

Last edited:
I talked to a friend who matched last year. She received 12 interviews starting MID-OCTOBER and matched at her top choice. Hang in there!

Reactions: 8 users
I talked to a friend who matched last year. She received 12 interviews starting MID-OCTOBER and matched at her top choice. Hang in there!

awesome, do you know her scores and visa status? and where she got interviews and matched, and her social security number?
joking about the last point

I understand your feeling. It's so sad and frustrating and you can just think about this because we all have worked so hard to pursue this goal. But I was reading the thread from last year and it's clear that Non-US IMG requiring visa are the last of all the applicants that receive invitations in spite of their great applications, usually after Oct 15th. Up to this point this Interview season is just the same as that season.

You would have to find out how they normally send invites. Some programs email, some use eras, some interview broker. Whats important is that you got an interview, and should prepare well for it. Programs dont have time to just be nice, they spend a lot of time and money on each applicant. Just because you have a connection does not mean its a courtesy. Congrats and good luck!

Agreed! No such thing as a courtesy interview. Programs are investing time, money, and resources on each applicant. It’s very rare for them to call someone who they don’t believe is a good candidate. Having said that, they may not rank people based on the interview. So do your best and prepare because it is the real deal! Also, all interviews are scheduled the same way, whether it’s via ERAS, email, etc.

Hey ya’ll. I got IVs #4 and 5 today from NY. Lincoln and Harlem hospital.

I haven’t been able to post on here as often as I’d like to, but Im really happy to see people being supportive and helpful! Congratulations to everyone who got interviews today, and for those who haven’t YET, don’t lose hope. Your time will come. Trust that what is meant to be, will be.

Heartfelt Congrats to all those who received IVs so for.

How are you guys picking interview dates? I want to be efficient and finish off all interviews in one city just to be time and money efficient, but that seems almost impossible to do right?

+1 Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

First interview!! White River Health System in Arkansas

How are you guys picking interview dates? I want to be efficient and finish off all interviews in one city just to be time and money efficient, but that seems almost impossible to do right?

Its definitely challenging.

Ive been allotting a 2-3 week period for each geographic region (northeast, southeast, midwest, etc). So far I’ve been able to schedule IVs for each region within the same week.

There was one I needed to reschedule in order to coordinate it with another IV. I signed up for the waitlist on Thalamus and fortunately a spot opened up!

I also check my email frequently and schedule my IVs immediately, while there are still plenty of date options.

There’s always the possibility that I might just have to make more than one trip, but right now im just grateful for each invite...

I got rejection from UT san antonio :(
not a single interview so far
somebody please send me your suggestions @ email to PD if no IV by mid october
multiple red flags :(

3rd IV, Jersey Shore University Medical Center (Perth Amboy)

Reactions: 5 users
I got rejection from UT san antonio :(
not a single interview so far
somebody please send me your suggestions @ email to PD if no IV by mid october
multiple red flags :(
I'd wait until mid October and then start emailing program coordinators to state your interest in their program and how you'd love to interview there. Maybe read up a bit on the program beforehand so you can very briefly talk about specific things you like and why you'd fit. Do this for everyone and make sure you put your AAMC ID in the email. Also it goes without saying, but be as professional as possible in the email. No abbreviations or grammar/spelling issues.

If you don't get responses from everyone, wait a week or 2 after emails and start calling them on the phone. Have a 2-3 liner prepared that includes your name, when you applied, your interest in the program and how you'd really appreciate the opportunity to interview. Be flexible if they ask you about your availability. Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can help with.

Reactions: 4 users
No interviews :(a very stressful period:(

Rejection from UT San Antonio :unsure:

+1 University of Central Florida

Rejection from UT San Antonio :unsure:
You actually get rejections? I thought you and il pani would just have a string of 100 straight invites haha

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.