This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most of the people in this thread are either US citizens or GC holders. It all comes down to scores and CV. Even a lot of IMGs who need visa but have stellar scores have got a couple of interviews. Let’s just hope for the best. Good luck everyone. Have a nice weekend lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I am US-IMG.
Even if you have the same or similar scores it doesnt gurantee anything. What about the attention to detail in your app, your LORs, PS, activites and USCE, connections. There will be places that love you and reject you. You are going to be great, just wait and see next week!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you have the same or similar scores it doesnt gurantee anything. What about the attention to detail in your app, your LORs, PS, activites and USCE, connections. There will be places that love you and reject you. You are going to be great, just wait and see next week!!
You’re right. It’s all speculation. The whole process is not clear like black and white, that’s why it’s scary to me.

Reactions: 1 users
it does...nothing you can do about that.

i think i received most of my IVs before MSPE, but then the release was Nov 1 not Oct 1.
Was it because you were that strong of a candidate that PDs didn’t need to see your evals? I can only image that positive evals can help PDs determine if they’re on the fence about inviting somebody

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: 216
Step 2: 234
Step 2 CS: Pass (first attempt)
US-IMG
YOG 2018
1 Research Publication

4 interviews
2 acknowledgments (doubt these mean anything)

Reactions: 4 users
Got my 2nd interview at COOPER UNIVERSITY, CAMDEN, NJ

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! 4 IVs where? any connections? USCE?

Thanks!
I just realized my status says "pre-dental" :D anyway.....

I do have USCE as I am a US- IMG. MS3 and MS4 were done in United States.

4 interviews: Arkansas (Searcy), Newark NJ (St Michael's), Paterson , NJ (St. Joseph's), and Macon GA (Coliseum)

No connections at the above programs for which I was invited to interview at...never rotated there. I did apply to 261 programs because I was freaking out last minute when applying :D (mainly because of step 1 score)

Is St johns episcopal still prematch?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it because you were that strong of a candidate that PDs didn’t need to see your evals? I can only image that positive evals can help PDs determine if they’re on the fence about inviting somebody

i was a pretty strong applicant, no red flags (other than being a US-IMG), strong Step scores, and I applied to (at the time a lot ) 60 programs and got 20 IVs. My LoRs were very good so they had those before the MSPE came out. I did have interviewers make mention of them a number of time as well as comment on my PS...you never know what is going to appeal to someone and make them want to give you an interview.

I just got an email from a program in philly. I was told they require 4 LORs. I do have 4 LORs on my ERAS but I only assigned 3 cause I know most programs usually request 3 and my 4th letter is not too strong. I however replied the PC and told her I have assigned my 4th letter. Is this going to cost my chances with the program? Should I go ahead and assign my 4th letter to all programs? Or wait till they email to request for a 4th?
Hi TheHardWorker,
Congrats for all the interviews you've gotten so far, we deserve a bit of love after all the hard work we've put in. That program in Philly that requires 4 letters, what's the name of the program? I am applying for Anesthesiology and was looking through the IM forums, still thinking if I should apply to a few IM programs as back-up since I am giving my Step 2 CK later than most others, not sure how much it will hurt my chances for Anesthesia. I am wondering if there are more programs where they require more than 3 letters. I need to look through my list of all the anesthesia programs I applied to, it would be helpful if you could share a few names of the programs that require more than 3 letters. Thanks!

i was a pretty strong applicant, no red flags (other than being a US-IMG), strong Step scores, and I applied to (at the time a lot ) 60 programs and got 20 IVs. My LoRs were very good so they had those before the MSPE came out. I did have interviewers make mention of them a number of time as well as comment on my PS...you never know what is going to appeal to someone and make them want to give you an interview.
Take this with a grain of salt, it was way way easier back then. Not comparable to today.

How long ago are we talking about?
it has never been easy for I/FMGs...we all have had our challenges, but yes, it IS much harder now since the US schools, both allo and oteopathic have increased their enrollments and there is less room for the I/FMGs...and for those that are visa requiring, it is even harder. Plus with AOA merging with ACGME, all those DO students will make it even harder.

but the requirements of high step scores, great LoRs,the least number of red flags, applying widely and on the 1st day ERAS is open to maximize interviews is still good advice whether it was 10 years ago or now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by the profile, we are assuming around 8-10 years ago.

10 for residency, 5 for fellowship...but since i actually matched and on my 1st try, I at least have something to back up my advice...plus, you know, I have been involved in the selection process...and that is a little more recent experience, so I do have somewhat of an idea of programs are looking at and for these last few years...NOT a PD though, so can't speak for how they think, but aPD and IMPD are and give great advice. aPD had a good grasp on the I/FMG applicant and VISA needs.

it has never been easy for I/FMGs...we all have had our challenges, but yes, it IS much harder now since the US schools, both allo and oteopathic have increased their enrollments and there is less room for the I/FMGs...and for those that are visa requiring, it is even harder. Plus with AOA merging with ACGME, all those DO students will make it even harder.

but the requirements of high step scores, great LoRs,the least number of red flags, applying widely and on the 1st day ERAS is open to maximize interviews is still good advice whether it was 10 years ago or now.

MP is just miffed that the advice I gave him last year and that i said it was unlikely for him to have match last year was actually good advice and assessment of his application last year came true...so realize he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder when it comes to me...but hey! I matched for residency and fellowship at university programs and on the 1st try, and have been involved in the resident and fellow selection process so take my advice or not...
I am not “miffed”. Last year I knowingly tried my luck, I still got a good amount of interviews. Im okay with that. Fact is that it was way easier when you went throught the process, so you cannot compare our situation with yours. Congratulations for everything you have earned and worked hard for, no one is taking that away from you. Good job on your university programs and matching 1st time. I am happy with my life and dont need to put anyone else down to feel better. I was just stating a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not “miffed”. Last year I knowingly tried my luck, I still got a good amount of interviews. Im okay with that. Fact is that it was way easier when you went throught the process, so you cannot compare our situation with yours. Congratulations for everything you have earned and worked hard for, no one is taking that away from you. Good job on your university programs and matching 1st time. I am happy with my life and dont need to put anyone else down to feel better. I was just stating a fact.
frankly, you have no idea if it was harder or not when i applied...every year has its difficulties and you are right, you cannot compare my situation with yours...there are more residency spots out there now than there were 10 years ago...the steps were scored harder then and had both a 2 digit and 3 digit score associated with it...mainstream programs did not have a lot of experience with I/FMGs...etc, etc, etc...but you do try to make it sound that i have no idea of what is expected or needed of an I/FMG applicant in the interview season of today...since I have seen involved on the other side, I have a better idea of what to look for than i did of what was expected of me.

I'm glad that this year you did what i advised to applicants last year...maybe this year you will be successful.

Ok everyone. We need to all chill and focus on the task at hand. Hopefully tomorrow and the next few days brings about good news for all of us. Good luck this week!

Reactions: 6 users
^Agreed with sss2g2.

Rokshana, we all appreciate your advice and desire to help. But I think if you limited your advice to what you see in your capacity as someone recently involved in reviewing applications, it would be even more helpful. I mean that as opposed to anecdotally applying 10 years ago to 60 programs and getting IVs with MSPEs released in Nov because that isn't quite as applicable to the current Match climate, which I think you understand. But yes, there are definite similarites i.e scores, LORs, USCE, etc.

MP, I don't think you came off as miffed. But there are definite similarities in matching 10 yrs ago vs. now, and someone who has gone through the process can help, even if it's slightly. You're a solid contributor on this forum as well and we all appreciate your insight.

I think we're all ready for the tide of interviews coming in next month (God willing), so let's be constructive without being overly critical and let's build each other up and get this done! Let's get it.

Reactions: 8 users
^Agreed with sss2g2.

Rokshana, we all appreciate your advice and desire to help. But I think if you limited your advice to what you see in your capacity as someone recently involved in reviewing applications, it would be even more helpful. I mean that as opposed to anecdotally applying 10 years ago to 60 programs and getting IVs with MSPEs released in Nov because that isn't quite as applicable to the current Match climate, which I think you understand. But yes, there are definite similarites i.e scores, LORs, USCE, etc.

MP, I don't think you came off as miffed. But there are definite similarities in matching 10 yrs ago vs. now, and someone who has gone through the process can help, even if it's slightly. You're a solid contributor on this forum as well and we all appreciate your insight.

I think we're all ready for the tide of interviews coming in next month (God willing), so let's be constructive without being overly critical and let's build each other up and get this done! Let's get it.
Agree, thank you.

^Agreed with sss2g2.

someone asked the question and i answered it, period...i made no judgement on how that was relevant to his application or to this years application process.

it is not up to you (or any other poster to limit what one post on any thread)...if you don't like it...you can click the ignore button and you won't have to see it. Or just not respond.

ask yourself why there are so few residents, fellows, and/or attendings that post in threads like these? we try, get told that we have "no clue" to the process and then get tired of it and leave...or never come to these threads to begin with...its not just this one, same things are heard in the pre allo threads as well...to the point that the mods ask us to please go to them to help...most give up.

and MP...you may need to re read my advice..I'm in the group that says Step 3 doesn't help since it is supposed to be taken as an intern...taking it early rarely helps and has the potential to hurt if you fail or score poorly. :bang:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
and MP...you may need to re read my advice..I'm in the group that says Step 3 doesn't help since it is supposed to be taken as an intern...taking it early rarely helps and has the potential to hurt if you fail or score poorly. :bang:

This is great to know for IMGs, thanks!

This is the last time I respond to you, I dont want this forum taken over by ego.

scored harder?? just because people are scoring a lot higher than your score. 2 digit 3 digit. Stop making stuff up to make your self feel better. 2 digit was stopped because it was mistaken for a percentile constantly

I have not and will not ever listen to your advice. Your step 3 advice was wrong. PD surverys and knowlegeable mentors agree it has little effect. Who do you think you are lmao. Just stop and let us the rest of us enjoy our process and HELP one another.

there has been a great deal of discussion about the increase in the mean of the step scores, particularly the CK score, given the mean has been in the 240s for the last few years...step 1 has probably stayed on pace with the pass score and previous means. The percentile was taken off the steps for almost 20 years and yes, applicant would mistake it for a percentile, but those in the admission process knew that it wasn't...the 2 digit score was there because there were medical boards that required a 2 digit score for licensure left over from the era of ECFMG certification being an actual exam that was passed with a % (that has since been changed/updated.

my advice is have everything done and passed by the time of ERAS application and apply broadly and on the 1st day that ERAS opens...has always been my advice...you didn't do it last year and you did this year....hmmm.

You would not diagnose a patient with MI based on troponin alone. Likewise, a PD will not invite you based on your Step 1 score or GC alone. Remember that PDs are looking for applicants who can work with them for 3 years, who will not cause troubles, and who can even positively contribute to the programs.

Again, there are multiple aspects in your application. Some are modifiable, and some are not. It is never easy to be competitive in another unfamiliar country. Do your BEST to maximize all modifiable factors and do it EARLY to meet all the timeline on the first day. This is YOUR COMMITMENT to YOUR CAREER. Good luck.

someone asked the question and i answered it, period...i made no judgement on how that was relevant to his application or to this years application process.

it is not up to you (or any other poster to limit what one post on any thread)...if you don't like it...you can click the ignore button and you won't have to see it. Or just not respond.

ask yourself why there are so few residents, fellows, and/or attendings that post in threads like these? we try, get told that we have "no clue" to the process and then get tired of it and leave...or never come to these threads to begin with...its not just this one, same things are heard in the pre allo threads as well...to the point that the mods ask us to please go to them to help...most give up.

I think you need to stop being so hostile to everyone here and let us participate in this years match. No one is disagreeing with what you are saying; however, it is the manner in which you are conveying the information along with incorrect grammar usage. Dr. Opout put it best and you responded to him with hostility along with throwing a hissy fit and victimizing yourself.

there has been a great deal of discussion about the increase in the mean of the step scores, particularly the CK score, given the mean has been in the 240s for the last few years...step 1 has probably stayed on pace with the pass score and previous means. The percentile was taken off the steps for almost 20 years and yes, applicant would mistake it for a percentile, but those in the admission process knew that it wasn't...the 2 digit score was there because there were medical boards that required a 2 digit score for licensure left over from the era of ECFMG certification being an actual exam that was passed with a % (that has since been changed/updated.

my advice is have everything done and passed by the time of ERAS application and apply broadly and on the 1st day that ERAS opens...has always been my advice...you didn't do it last year and you did this year....hmmm.
Thank you for your advices and for taking the time to write here. We really appreciate it and please keep doing it. Having in mind where you are now and your previous experience I think your input is really valuable.

Thank you for your advices and for taking the time to write here. We really appreciate it and please keep doing it. Having in mind where you are now and your previous experience I think your input is really valuable.

Agreed, hopefully we could have more people like you who have been in our shoes and are part of the selection process. The rest of us who are not residents yet (and some who failed to match before) would benefit a lot from your continuing advice! Thanks and congrats on your success!

That's exactly it. You answered a question without assessing its relevance to this year's apps process...in the IMG IM Applicants Match 2019 forum...where there are other people who may take your information as misinformation when not provided with the proper context. That's why MP said the number of your apps/interviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Again, we appreciate your effort and time to provide guidance because although your advice has been of no use to me personally, there are a number of people who desperately need it as they have no other info of their own. No one is limiting what you can say, just provide context so people don't have to dig through your post history to see if it's relevant to them. Also, maybe don't attack others' past failures and tout your accomplishments to try and win an internet argument. It's rude and unprofessional, two things that I sense are a recurring theme with you.

As to your claim of why residents, fellows, and attendings don't post in these forums, I respectfully disagree. I've seen many post their advice on multiple forums, and they somehow managed to do it without getting frustrated and hostile at the slightest perceived provocation. I understand you're trying to be helpful, but also showing some respect and maturity would go a long way. We may be your juniors, but one day, we're going to be your colleagues. I hope for everyone's sake that you don't bring this cocky, entitled attitude to work with you in real life.

Reactions: 5 users
Everyone relax. It's a stressful time. Let's stand together through this.

" Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone's got three."

Everyone relax. It's a stressful time. Let's stand together through this.

" Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone's got three."
YES!! and on a brighter note. MSPEs have been released!! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE APPLYING THIS YEAR!!

That's exactly it. You answered a question without assessing its relevance to this year's apps process...in the IMG IM Applicants Match 2019 forum...where there are other people who may take your information as misinformation when not provided with the proper context. That's why MP said the number of your apps/interviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Again, we appreciate your effort and time to provide guidance because although your advice has been of no use to me personally, there are a number of people who desperately need it as they have no other info of their own. No one is limiting what you can say, just provide context so people don't have to dig through your post history to see if it's relevant to them. Also, maybe don't attack others' past failures and tout your accomplishments to try and win an internet argument. It's rude and unprofessional, two things that I sense are a recurring theme with you.

As to your claim of why residents, fellows, and attendings don't post in these forums, I respectfully disagree. I've seen many post their advice on multiple forums, and they somehow managed to do it without getting frustrated and hostile at the slightest perceived provocation. I understand you're trying to be helpful, but also showing some respect and maturity would go a long way. We may be your juniors, but one day, we're going to be your colleagues. I hope for everyone's sake that you don't bring this cocky, entitled attitude to work with you in real life.
you win dude...i think i was the last of maybe 5 attendings and 1 chief that posted here...have fun...smh.

I thought the main reason that some IMG took step 3 was due to the requirement of H1b. For GC holders or even citizens, this may not be a necessary step.

Your perception is not reality.

We (meaning attendings) have been specifically asked to participate more outside the attending only section because there aren't very many at the moment who do, especially outside the EM and anesthesia areas.

As for reactions to slights, the reason you don't see much is because the general response is just to say "screw it" and stop trying to be helpful. The ones who get publicly irritated tend to be the ones who stick around and continue trying to be helpful.

I am going to try to change the topic with a question ... what is the deal with residencies outside the Match that offer pre match? I received an IV invite from St Barnabas hospital and I originally declined and replied saying that i wasn’t able to fly in for the IV during the few dates left ( they only had spots at the beginning of October, but truthfully I was mostly uncertain about the program in itself ). The PD replied telling me that they could find me a spot later on ... so now I am left wondering if it is worth it to attend. Being an IMG I know that I can’t hope for too much, but I would like to try to go to a program that will make it possible for me to go for a heme/ onc fellowship ... Any thoughts on this program and the chances that it offers? I appreciate and I will be grateful for any advice

1st invite from Orange Park in FL! May we all be blessed with a productive cycle going forward.

229/228/CS Pass/YOG 2017/4 mo USCE/US Citizen

Reactions: 11 users
1st invite from Orange Park in FL! May we all be blessed with a productive cycle going forward.

Congrats Oput!!! Let the games begin

Reactions: 3 users

We have such similar stats! Congrats! Nothing for me yet :(

Dont think youre any less than anyone who has received interviews! It also depends on the order at which they review the apps!

I am going to try to change the topic with a question ... what is the deal with residencies outside the Match that offer pre match? I received an IV invite from St Barnabas hospital and I originally declined and replied saying that i wasn’t able to fly in for the IV during the few dates left ( they only had spots at the beginning of October, but truthfully I was mostly uncertain about the program in itself ). The PD replied telling me that they could find me a spot later on ... so now I am left wondering if it is worth it to attend. Being an IMG I know that I can’t hope for too much, but I would like to try to go to a program that will make it possible for me to go for a heme/ onc fellowship ... Any thoughts on this program and the chances that it offers? I appreciate and I will be grateful for any advice

I have the exact same question. I have received an interview invitation at mount sinai, Chicago. They offer pre match. However, you can check the fellowship/graduate placement section on their website to have a better idea about your chances of fellowship.
In general, I think pre match is very confusing for IMGs because it’s a gamble. Things could go either way.

I have the exact same question. I have received an interview invitation at mount sinai, Chicago. They offer pre match. However, you can check the fellowship/graduate placement section on their website to have a better idea about your chances of fellowship.
In general, I think pre match is very confusing for IMGs because it’s a gamble. Things could go either way.
When did you receive the invite?

See, now the problem is the thread has bit the hand of the people that actually have these answers. I matched three years ago, that may be too far out for some, but I'll give it a shot. The programs that prematch are the bottom of the barrel, they are the ones that know they have 0 chance of getting AMG's, and therefore want the best shot at IMG's. It is almost predatory, as if you get a prematch offer, you cannot enter the real match, leaving you to choose between a rock and a hard place, a guaranteed spot at a low program vs a chance at something better in the match. If you have a red or yellow flag in your app, i would take this interview and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.