This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection from East Tennessee University and Guthrie/Robert Packer.

Reactions: 2 users
Just declined an interview from flushing. Hope one of you awesome people get it!

Reactions: 6 users
so almost every community program I have interviewed at, has good fellowship placements. I don’t understand. I thought it’s harder to get fellowships if you’re in a community program?

so almost every community program I have interviewed at, has good fellowship placements. I don’t understand. I thought it’s harder to get fellowships if you’re in a community program?
Sure of course residency reputation and publications play a role, but so does residency performance, letters of recommendation, connections etc

Reactions: 1 users
Rejections today from Guthrie and Maine MC
Most active day in weeks

Maine said my references were favorable which was nice

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the fellowship, for Cardio and GI not all have good placements (most do not actually), but yeah many people do not even want to do a fellowship so it's easy to get one in a good place. Also, about fellowships, contacts and research are very important. It's not all about where you did your IM training.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the fellowship, for Cardio and GI not all have good placements (most do not actually), but yeah many people do not even want to do a fellowship so it's easy to get one in a good place. Also, about fellowships, contacts and research are very important. It's not all about where you did your IM training.

So I guess my point is, is it smart to rank a certain community program that has good fellowship placements (I’m not into GI or cards so it’s all good for me), is in a good location, great clinical exposure higher than a university program with again great fellowship placements and opportunities but not so great location?

St. Joseph Ann Arbor rejection.
Merry Christmas and signing off to next year.

So I guess my point is, is it smart to rank a certain community program that has good fellowship placements (I’m not into GI or cards so it’s all good for me), is in a good location, great clinical exposure higher than a university program with again great fellowship placements and opportunities but not so great location?
Depends on why is the most important thing for you...where you are happy is going have an influence on whether you perform well which determines how competitive you are as an applicant...frankly the mid to low tier Uni programs are not that different from the mid to upper tier community programs that you are looking at.

Depends on which programs you are comparing with...but generally Univ programs are more academic. No matter where it is, it's just three years in your less favorable place

Depends on why is the most important thing for you...where you are happy is going have an influence on whether you perform well which determines how competitive you are as an applicant...frankly the mid to low tier Uni programs are not that different from the mid to upper tier community programs that you are looking at.

Agree with rokshana. To me location is very important (S/O) and my ranking will be skewed towards one region of the country, not only based on the tier of the program. This is what will make me happy so I am setting priorities this way. You have to decide what is important to you.

Reactions: 3 users
So eh... I just got a paper letter from a program that I interviewed at, and they basically recited how good their program is and urged me to “give them my highest consideration”... is this even legit?! What should I do guys?

So eh... I just got a paper letter from a program that I interviewed at, and they basically recited how good their program is and urged me to “give them my highest consideration”... is this even legit?! What should I do guys?

It means absolutely nothing

is it just me or mount sinai saint luke/roosevelt invited almost 500 people...

is it just me or mount sinai saint luke/roosevelt invited almost 500 people...

Good for you! It is at least a medium size program so lots of folks were interviewed at a single day.
Let's call it a year as Government shutdown in a minute. Happy New Year!

what did u guys hear about the H1 issue this year?
I heard some programs that said they were sponsoring h1B, because it took so long they ended up giving J1

what did u guys hear about the H1 issue this year?
I heard some programs that said they were sponsoring h1B, because it took so long they ended up giving J1

Heard that too on my interview trail. That being said, you should rank Rush Univ over the others. Card is really competitive and being in a Univ program can get you the connection you need. Take my words with a grain of salt because I'm simply another applicant.

Heard that too on my interview trail. That being said, you should rank Rush Univ over the others. Card is really competitive and being in a Univ program can get you the connection you need. Take my words with a grain of salt because I'm simply another applicant.
appreciate!

Agree with rokshana. To me location is very important (S/O) and my ranking will be skewed towards one region of the country, not only based on the tier of the program. This is what will make me happy so I am setting priorities this way. You have to decide what is important to you.
This is the one piece of advice that I (and many other senior SDN members) give year after year after year after year. It is also the one that is most likely to be ignored and have people wind up disappointed down the road.

Reactions: 6 users
This is the one piece of advice that I (and many other senior SDN members) give year after year after year after year. It is also the one that is most likely to be ignored and have people wind up disappointed down the road.

Hi gutonc, I had a few questions regarding this statement. I've been mulling my brain over the past few days and I've interviewed at a few places in TX/NY/CA. I'm originally from TX and was considering ranking those programs higher since it is closer to home and I want to end up practicing in TX but I've also been considering the NY programs heavily because of the increased pathology that I've seen up here (doing rotations). How important is pathology/seeing different diseases in the grand scheme of things? Its been a hard fight between pathology vs location for me.

Hi gutonc, I had a few questions regarding this statement. I've been mulling my brain over the past few days and I've interviewed at a few places in TX/NY/CA. I'm originally from TX and was considering ranking those programs higher since it is closer to home and I want to end up practicing in TX but I've also been considering the NY programs heavily because of the increased pathology that I've seen up here (doing rotations). How important is pathology/seeing different diseases in the grand scheme of things? Its been a hard fight between pathology vs location for me.
Yeah I'm having the same issue. Not necessarily just diversity of patho but overall quality of training. The programs I've been invited to in my desired region are objectively of lower quality compared to the others where I've interviewed (Newer, community based, no fellowships, weaker research, etc.) Since I don't know whether I want to do fellowship, it's tough to give up a stronger program for a better location when there's such a tangible difference in quality.

+1 UPMC Mckeesport

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8 users
+1 UPMC Mckeesport

That's the Xmas gift? LOL
btw, are we encouraged to write Holiday letters to the programs...or not? :p:p:p

btw, are we encouraged to write Holiday letters to the programs...or not? :p:p:p
LOL - Absolutely. Any interview is a blessing.

I don't think its encouraged, let alone an expectation. If there is someone you connected with and feel the need, otherwise I wouldn't.

No
God no
Second time this has been asked
It looks so fake and suck-up and is utterly meaningless

Reactions: 5 users
LOL - Absolutely. Any interview is a blessing.

I don't think its encouraged, let alone an expectation. If there is someone you connected with and feel the need, otherwise I wouldn't.

No
God no
Second time this has been asked
It looks so fake and suck-up and is utterly meaningless

Thank you guys! Happy Holidays!

Guys Can anyone tell me a little bit about St Mary Mercy in Livonia MI? Is it a good program?
Also, what impact does a community program WITHOUT in house fellowships (such as this program) have on a resident's future prospects for pursuing a fellowship? How possible is it, really? Happy holidays!

Guys Can anyone tell me a little bit about St Mary Mercy in Livonia MI? Is it a good program?
Also, what impact does a community program WITHOUT in house fellowships (such as this program) have on a resident's future prospects for pursuing a fellowship? How possible is it, really? Happy holidays!

Likely makes it harder to obtain fellowship as there is unlikely to be in house research - particularly for specialties like cardiology, GI, pulm, heme/onc, etc. May be an impediment to less competitive specialties like endocrine or nephro or ID but not impossible

it depends, maybe you can choose to do electives in another hospital where you will get the opportunity to do research, networking, etc if you are looking for a fellowship.
basically is up to you

Depends on the fellowship, but try to do away electives + research!

+1 sunrise health GME consortium!

Has anyone IV here yet and can shed some light on the program?

Reactions: 8 users
No IVs here; not surprising as I had an attempt on Step 2 CS. I'm looking to do some volunteering at a hospital next year. Hopefully, I can make some connections and prepare for 2020 match. Can anybody give me some tips on how to make some decent connections

No IVs here; not surprising as I had an attempt on Step 2 CS. I'm looking to do some volunteering at a hospital next year. Hopefully, I can make some connections and prepare for 2020 match. Can anybody give me some tips on how to make some decent connections

Research with good amount of publications
Volunteering ain’t gonna cut it

Rejection from the Rochester General.

Reactions: 2 users
Today I also got the most ridiculous rejection! A program where I canceled my interview a month ago today finally answered to my cancellation email with the rejection text loool

Reactions: 5 users
Rochester General Rejection sucks mannnn I guess I can't be a New Yorker

Status
Not open for further replies.