In-state or Out-of-State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lacysmom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm sure this topic has been brought up before on SDN and will be brought up again, but I'm trying to figure out what school to go to and I would like some prospective of other students and possibly some veterinarians who are actually in the real world right now.
I was accepted for a contract position at Mississippi State. I am waitlisted at Cornell. I'm still waiting to hear back from Auburn and UGA, UGA being the only other institution where I have the chance at getting IS tuition. My problem is obviously the large difference in tuition between my IS and OOS school. But, Cornell is a GREAT school and I loved Auburn when I visited for my interview. MSU is great too, but I really hate to choose, especially when the choice will boil down to where I have to pay the least amount of tuition. I want to go to the place that I feel will make me the BEST veterinarian that I can possibly be, but I also don't want to be in debt for my entire life.
What do you guys think? Can anyone chime in who made a choice to go OOS instead of IS and vice versa?

Members don't see this ad.

All accredited schools are going to have nearly identical curricula and educational standards. There isn't any one school that's going to make you a better veterinarian than the others. Unless you have some particular reason for avoiding a school (such as being unable or unwilling to live in that area) then go to whichever school is cheapest.

Reactions: 1 user
All other things being equal...choose the one that will cost you the least amount of money.

Vet school is seriously just going to be what you make of it. You can learn a lot of you can learn little at any school. Every school has it's upsides and downsides. Go to the cheapest one. You'll thank yourself in the long run.