Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The residency programs that are sponsored by KCU will def give favor to KCU students even beyond the merger since we get to spend probably the most time rotating there.

Aren't these mainly in Joplin though or will KC students be able to rotate there for say audition rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What about all the Des Peres residency programs? They seem to be the only one that hasn't applied for accreditation. Is it safe to assume they are not going to be around much longer?

Aren't these mainly in Joplin though or will KC students be able to rotate there for say audition rotations?

There's a mix. KC has ortho in blue springs and a few others but Joplin def has a good amount. For audition rotations you are free to rotate whereever you want so as long as there is room and/or VSAS selection. :)
What about all the Des Peres residency programs? They seem to be the only one that hasn't applied for accreditation. Is it safe to assume they are not going to be around much longer?
Yeah it looks like their Gas, ENT, Ortho, and general surgery programs are going to be phased out so they won't be around much. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a mix. KC has ortho in blue springs and a few others but Joplin def has a good amount. For audition rotations you are free to rotate whereever you want so as long as there is room and/or VSAS selection. :)

Yeah it looks like their Gas, ENT, Ortho, and general surgery programs are going to be phased out so they won't be around much. :/

Do you think Ortho in Blue Springs will still be attainable for KCU students post merger?

Damn. Will this change the quality of Des Peres for clinical rotations? I was interested in returning to STL (my hometown) for 3rd/4th years.

Do you think Ortho in Blue Springs will still be attainable for KCU students post merger?
Definitely. Per word of the program director there which is a DO, they will still favor DO grads and KCU grads.
Damn. Will this change the quality of Des Peres for clinical rotations? I was interested in returning to STL (my hometown) for 3rd/4th years.
It will probably be preceptor based instead of resident team based which sucks. But you can "catch" up 4th by rotating at academic hospitals in the specialty you are interested in.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha not gunning just like that it's an option!

Hahah ah yes. What will be nice for you guys is the extra spots for rotations though the HCA partnership.

Also special treat for you all but the new dean has been found for KCU (KC). Very successful and esteemed professor. Was the IM program director at a MD schools with dual accreditation (so the osteopathic side).

Once the official announcement is made I'll add more info :)

Hahah ah yes. What will be nice for you guys is the extra spots for rotations though the HCA partnership.

Also special treat for you all but the new dean has been found for KCU (KC). Very successful and esteemed professor. Was the IM program director at a MD schools with dual accreditation (so the osteopathic side).

Once the official announcement is made I'll add more info :)

That's awesome to hear! Great time for KCU both KC and Joplin

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely. Per word of the program director there which is a DO, they will still favor DO grads and KCU grads.

It will probably be preceptor based instead of resident team based which sucks. But you can "catch" up 4th by rotating at academic hospitals in the specialty you are interested in.

Is there any rumors/news of KCU adding new residency slots to replace those being phased out by Des Peres?

Is there any rumors/news of KCU adding new residency slots to replace those being phased out by Des Peres?

I haven't heard anything about that because KCU isn't the sponsoring institution. In believe it's St Louis University that holds dual accred for those programs but chose to phase out the AOA ones. Now whether that's to eventually increase residency slots in their original ACGME programs is uncertain.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I read in one of the KCU masters program class threads that they currently teach comparative anatomy in that program as opposed to human anatomy. Anybody know the rationale behind that? Purely out of curiosity.

Another user went on to say that a handful of students weren't a big fan, so they were considering switching back to human anatomy for future cohorts.

I read in one of the KCU masters program class threads that they currently teach comparative anatomy in that program as opposed to human anatomy. Anybody know the rationale behind that? Purely out of curiosity.

Another user went on to say that a handful of students weren't a big fan, so they were considering switching back to human anatomy for future cohorts.

That's weird. I have yet to hear from a COBer that they use comparative anatomy instead of human anatomy because the COB class has their own dissection down in the cadaver lab.

Maybe the two year track does the comparative anatomy?

That's weird. I have yet to hear from a COBer that they use comparative anatomy instead of human anatomy because the COB class has their own dissection down in the cadaver lab.

This year is the first year that COB is doing comparative anatomy. I'm really not sure why they decided to change it this year but the consensus from what I've gathered is that we COBers are not fans. We don't get any sort of lab and basically first semester we learned about fish and tetrapods and this semester we are doing primate anatomy. It is a weird combination of human and primate anatomy + evolutionary trends. It's tough to convince 100+ wannabe future physicians why they should care about anything but human anatomy.

I haven't heard anything about that because KCU isn't the sponsoring institution. In believe it's St Louis University that holds dual accred for those programs but chose to phase out the AOA ones. Now whether that's to eventually increase residency slots in their original ACGME programs is uncertain.

Do you by any chance know why a few Des Peres residency spots have appeared under KCU's sponsored GME programs on the kcu website?

hey guys! on average, how long did it take to hear back post interview? I know im being impatient but im so excited about this school!

hey guys! on average, how long did it take to hear back post interview? I know im being impatient but im so excited about this school!
I heard back in 10 days, but that was because they wanted to get decisions out before winter break. I believe most people have said between 3-6 weeks on average! When did you interview?

Kind of a weird question, but can anyone in KC tell me what the bug/pests situation is like there? As someone coming from FL, I'm hoping to get away from giant cockroaches and wolf spiders in my apartment.

Kind of a weird question, but can anyone in KC tell me what the bug/pests situation is like there? As someone coming from FL, I'm hoping to get away from giant cockroaches and wolf spiders in my apartment.

I haven't had a problem with any bugs. I know if you live in CT there's a few crockcoaches.

Bummed to hear about those bugs. I'm doing my rotations in Florida.

I haven't had a problem with any bugs. I know if you live in CT there's a few crockcoaches.

Cockroaches?...... literally the most disgusting creatures on the planet. ¡No bueno! I'm living there, I hope this isn't like... super common...

Reactions: 2 users
I heard back in 10 days, but that was because they wanted to get decisions out before winter break. I believe most people have said between 3-6 weeks on average! When did you interview?
1/24 haha literally only a week ago

I'm from Florida and I live in CT now. I've seen one roach (knock on wood), and it was like half the size of the palmetto bugs in Florida. I definitely do not miss palmetto bugs/roaches and wolf spiders. I think I called my friend crying when I found a wolf spider in my bathroom once haha

What city? The bugs are better the closer you are to the beach, since they mostly live in the big trees. I live in Tampa, about 30 minutes inland, but I'm right next to the woods, so I saw one of the biggest roaches of my life in my bedroom the other day. We're talking like probably the size of my palm (I have small hands, but still). I'm from Gainesville though, so I'm used to seeing roaches not much smaller than that at least every couple of weeks. It definitely varies!

What city? The bugs are better the closer you are to the beach, since they mostly live in the big trees. I live in Tampa, about 30 minutes inland, but I'm right next to the woods, so I saw one of the biggest roaches of my life in my bedroom the other day. We're talking like probably the size of my palm (I have small hands, but still). I'm from Gainesville though, so I'm used to seeing roaches not much smaller than that at least every couple of weeks. It definitely varies!

Oh okay phew! West palm!!!

I was in Gainesville for undergrad. There were wooden walkways to all the apartments in my complex because it was so swampy. Had snakes on our porch all the time, and that's the only place I've seen wolf spiders. In Panama City I lived two blocks from the bay, and we had massive flying roaches there too.

Finally II for Feb 23rd.
Complete 11/21.

Is KCU the best DO school? This thread certainly has the most activity compared to other schools

Is KCU the best DO school? This thread certainly has the most activity compared to other schools

It's a great school. Is it the best? Idk if I would go that far haha. There are other DO schools with a wealth of resources that KCU doesn't have and usually the big part of that is simply being a private DO instead of a public DO school (with the exception of PCOM that is).

That said, KCU has a very good reputation.

Ah I see. Similarly, I heard KCU has good relationships with KCMed and UMKC

Ah I see. Similarly, I heard KCU has good relationships with KCMed and UMKC

We send kcu grads there yearly for a multitude of specialties. Unfortunately, we don't get as much exposure in clerkships because UMKC and KU Med students take precedence at those hospitals. Most rotate fourth year there.

We send kcu grads there yearly for a multitude of specialties. Unfortunately, we don't get as much exposure in clerkships because UMKC and KU Med students take precedence at those hospitals. Most rotate fourth year there.

Keep asking @AlteredScale stuff. We have a midterm tomorrow and he needs to get gunned.

#gunnerlyfe

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Could someone elaborate on research clerkship? What is it and how does it work? Can it be done in either third or fourth year? Thanks!

Could someone elaborate on research clerkship? What is it and how does it work? Can it be done in either third or fourth year? Thanks!

These at done during your clerkship years. I am not aware if research electives are provided third year but fourth year it's def doable.

You can do research year 1 and 2, just don't expect it to be handed to you if it's not part of the snake basic sciences research dept there. I had to go and reach out to alumni and also had a pretty extensive research background and was able to hop into two projects last year.