Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3 weeks post interview, and I'm dying! Half-way to that "six-week" mark!

Members don't see this ad.

3 weeks post interview, and I'm dying! Half-way to that "six-week" mark!
Same here! Banking on this school as it's the only one I'm currently waiting on a response for! Takes so long! Then again they were spot on about the 6 week "complete" to "II" they emailed us about. If I get in, I'm 100% attending. If not, I have an SMP to fall back on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! Banking on this school as it's the only one I'm currently waiting on a response for! Takes so long! Then again they were spot on about the 6 week "complete" to "II" they emailed us about. If I get in, I'm 100% attending. If not, I have an SMP to fall back on.

Maybe they'll be kind and we will hear back sooner?! I feel like there haven't been many post interview decisions lately...

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I interviewed here yesterday and have to say I got major bad vibes about this place. First of all I know its supposed to be in the ghetto but this level of ghetto was kinda shocking to me, even though I'm from a large major city with urban areas.

My driver warned me not walk around or even go to the gas station across the street. Even at 10am in the morning. There was a decaying motel across the street covered with graffiti. He told me hookers have been killed there. As we pulled up the street towards the school he pointed out a street lady working the corner at the intersection where the school started.

I noticed the school was extremely gated and the first person I saw in it was an armed security guard. There are several trucks with these armed guards across the parking lot and several of them walking inside. I noticed the student housing building - century towers. I'm not exaggerating when I say my jaw dropped. It didn't look like a regular building. It looked like a fortress - thick slabs of gray concrete and literally a wall around that reminded me of a castle and moat.

The facilities were nice, but I couldn't help but feel I was in a bubble inside a dangerous place. During the tour and presentations every single faculty member and student made sure to point out how hard/tough/rigorous the curriculum is. (I personally don't believe this is always a good thing from my college experience, sometimes "easier" professors can actually teach you better in the long term. I know however that this school had great board scores - but I think any student will agree this is largely an individual endeavor). Since they are so tough here I also wonder if some students who fail here would pass at other schools, or how the tough curriculum affects students mental health - especially being inside this area.

During the presentation one of the students mentioned how his friend was doing very poorly in the class. I heard a couple students throughout the day mention how overwhelming their experience here has been or they know people almost failing. I know med school is always tough but at other schools I didnt hear the words "failing" or "overwhelming" being thrown around even close to this rate.

I'm worried if I went to this school the surrounding area and extra tough curriculum would be huge unnecessary stressors. I think everyone going to med school should avoid any extra stress so its not a great sell for me. Just my 2 cents.

p.s. When I ordered an uber home the driver called and wanted me to walk across the street to the gas station to meet him, he sounded pretty aggressive. I remember students who said they lived in century towers even said they NEVER walked around that area - only straight to class. So I was sketched out. Then the guy on the phone started saying he was in his "friends" car today and it was "gold" . I felt like some fishy business was going on and I hung up and waited to order another car. Def not a good way to ease my concerns about the area. Also, last month a new law was passed in Missouri where conceal carrying firearms is legal. Its very easy to buy them there.

People tend to exaggerate how things are. Is KCU in Beverly Hills? No. Is it in Compton? No. Like I have said time and time again, if you are somewhat smart and have a tiny bit of common sense, you will be fine. There are hundreds of students walking from CT to campus every day and I haven't heard of ONE problem. The gates are up around campus to keep you safe...would you rather not have them? They are there so that random people don't just walk on the campus. Same reason the security is there. You are complaining about security, but then you say you don't feel safe...kinda contradicting. There is security at EVERY university, not just KCU. If for some reason you don't feel safe walking to CT, they will walk you over there. Also, there was another hotel that the school purchased and demolished which was the crazy hotel. The one with the graffiti is now used for police training. As far as the conceal carry stuff...I am not gonna talk about that cause I may get attacked for my stance.

If you don't want to go to KCU because of the "hard" curriculum, fine. But don't not choose KCU (pending an acceptance) based on the "safety" aspect.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to send me a PM. @vrggvhbvr

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed here yesterday and have to say I got major bad vibes about this place. First of all I know its supposed to be in the ghetto but this level of ghetto was kinda shocking to me, even though I'm from a large major city with urban areas.

My driver warned me not walk around or even go to the gas station across the street. Even at 10am in the morning. There was a decaying motel across the street covered with graffiti. He told me hookers have been killed there. As we pulled up the street towards the school he pointed out a street lady working the corner at the intersection where the school started.

I noticed the school was extremely gated and the first person I saw in it was an armed security guard. There are several trucks with these armed guards across the parking lot and several of them walking inside. I noticed the student housing building - century towers. I'm not exaggerating when I say my jaw dropped. It didn't look like a regular building. It looked like a fortress - thick slabs of gray concrete and literally a wall around that reminded me of a castle and moat.

The facilities were nice, but I couldn't help but feel I was in a bubble inside a dangerous place. During the tour and presentations every single faculty member and student made sure to point out how hard/tough/rigorous the curriculum is. (I personally don't believe this is always a good thing from my college experience, sometimes "easier" professors can actually teach you better in the long term. I know however that this school had great board scores - but I think any student will agree this is largely an individual endeavor). Since they are so tough here I also wonder if some students who fail here would pass at other schools, or how the tough curriculum affects students mental health - especially being inside this area.

During the presentation one of the students mentioned how his friend was doing very poorly in the class. I heard a couple students throughout the day mention how overwhelming their experience here has been or they know people almost failing. I know med school is always tough but at other schools I didnt hear the words "failing" or "overwhelming" being thrown around even close to this rate.

I'm worried if I went to this school the surrounding area and extra tough curriculum would be huge unnecessary stressors. I think everyone going to med school should avoid any extra stress so its not a great sell for me. Just my 2 cents.

p.s. When I ordered an uber home the driver called and wanted me to walk across the street to the gas station to meet him, he sounded pretty aggressive. I remember students who said they lived in century towers even said they NEVER walked around that area - only straight to class. So I was sketched out. Then the guy on the phone started saying he was in his "friends" car today and it was "gold" . I felt like some fishy business was going on and I hung up and waited to order another car. Def not a good way to ease my concerns about the area. Also, last month a new law was passed in Missouri where conceal carrying firearms is legal. Its very easy to buy them there.
To be very honest, you must be overly sheltered to think it was THAT bad of an area. No disrespect - I can understand that people who are from nicer areas would think that Kansas City isn't all that great, but coming from someone who grew up in a borderline inner city in New Jersey and lived in the Bronx for 4 years, KCU and the surrounding area doesn't even register on my radar as even remotely unsafe. I felt completely comfortable walking around when I interviewed, and this is coming from a 100 lb white girl. You have to learn to be street smart. If you look like you're scared, you become an easy target for anyone who may be looking to do harm. And also, I find it disrespectful how you're describing Century Towers. I understand it's not luxury housing, but during my time in the Bronx, I lived in former welfare housing that made CT look like the Waldorf. That's all some people can afford, and it's rude to outwardly bash someone's "home" the way that you did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

I agree with the above poster; it sounds like you grew up in a highly privileged environment.

As someone who is currently living in a GREAT city: there have been 3-5 shootings across the street from my house and countless muggings... in big cities, especially with the effects of gentrification, this happens! Do I still walk across the street every day to buy my groceries? You bet! Do I still say hi and acknowledge strangers on the street? Of course! Do I walk around at 2am flailing my wallet in the air yelling "OH MY GOD I'M SO SCARED"? Nope, I don't do that. Have I or any of my countless friends who live in the surrounding area had any problems with muggings or anything of a criminal nature? Nope. Not one.

Use common sense. If someone tries to lure you with candy down a dark alley, walk away? Call the police? Say no? (we learned these things in pre-school here in the mitten state...)

I'm obviously not from KC, but I felt incredibly safe during the entirety of my visit, ESPECIALLY with the friendly security guards wondering around campus! (Huge plus in my book...)

That being said (and sorry for coming on a little strong before this, but damn it's not THAT bad), yeah the area surrounding campus looked a little rough. The actual downtown area is absolutely beautiful and thriving with incredibly nice people (I may have spent a day or two bar hopping & exploring post-interview..) If you feel uncomfortable, look into living downtown KC if you can, it seems like a great place to live.

As for the curriculum, I guess that's more or less up to if you are up for the challenge. I'm an incoming student, and therefore have no experience with the curriculum, but I'm pumped to be able to one day say, "Oh, the KCU curriculum? Yeah it was tough, but DAMN was I ready for step 1. So glad I chose KCU."

Just my two cents; carry on!

EDIT: This post was mostly intended to say, "I think you'll be perfectly safe at the school, don't let that effect your decision to attend if you get accepted "

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Joining many of you in wait to find out if I can attend this school! Hoping for good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it hilarious you guys think I'm "privileged" because I don't like the fact that a school needs a small brigade of armed guards for its students? :rolleyes:

Consider this:
1. privileged? my parents are refugees who came here with nothing
2. I've actually been in life or death situations before. have you guys? I know its easy to sound like you're so street smart online. You guys no knowledge of my background or life experiences so calling me privileged is ridiculous.
3. everything I said was factual and things I saw with my own eyes. Attacking me does nothing to address the factual details I described about my day there.

Then don't attend KCU...what do you want us to say? You're literally the only person who has come on here concerned in the past three years I've been watching these KCU threads.

Are you seriously that bothered by security guards with a gun? lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Im posting this for other students to consider. Its an open forum so I'm describing legitimate issues. People getting defensive about me pointing it out doesn't change the validity of what I said. Thats all from me on this.

I can understand your concerns and you definitely have the right to express your observations as this is an open forum. I think one of the reasons why you are receiving refutations to what you posted is because many may have felt you have had a bit Lee of a sensitivity to the strong security team here. I think what you probably see in that is that there are continuous incidents of criminal activity towards students and I can reassure you that that is not the case. In fact the overall security report showed three incidences in one year, a much lower percentage than most public universities (even ucsd, which is considered to be a tame school in a nice neighborhood like La Jolla).

Edit: after looking at the security report provided for 2015. Nothing happened on campus.

Last edited:
Damn How have I not seen that "small brigade of armed guards" the past 2 years. And i don't think criminals use conceal Carry laws as a way to get or carry weapons.

I find it hilarious you think I'm "privileged" because I don't like the fact that a school needs a small brigade of armed guards for its students? :rolleyes: If your street cred is so on point why do you need GATES and guys with GUNS?

Bottom line: If its so nice and im just oh so paranoid. Fire your security and take down the walls. Calling me privileged doesnt address anything especially since you dont know anything about me.
I have been in life or death situations; was caught up in the middle of a shoot out, was followed home by someone high on crack when I was 13, was robbed in college ... but not gonna sit here and fear any place that's even slightly unsafe because there's potential for it to happen again. Guess it just comes down to who has skin tough enough to endure it. I know I do. And my point was way beyond the privilege aspect. It was the way you talked about the area like it was trash. I take offense to that, as I know what it feels like for people to speak that way about your home. People live in that area and while it's okay to express some concerns for safety, it's not okay to go into detail about how you were appalled at the "level of ghetto" the area was.

Last edited:
I find it hilarious you think I'm "privileged" because I don't like the fact that a school needs a small brigade of armed guards for its students? :rolleyes: If your street cred is so on point why do you need GATES and guys with GUNS?

Bottom line: If its so nice and im just oh so paranoid. Fire your security and take down the walls. Calling me privileged doesnt address anything especially since you dont know anything about me.

Hey, fair enough. I respect that. And I've only spent a couple days there so I wouldn't know any better than what I experienced in that short time. And I don't know you, so you're right. Like I said, I was only trying to say, "don't let being worried about security hinder you from choosing KCU." If you'd rather go to a school that has a nicer surrounding area, I totally get that.

Best of luck with your admissions decision!

And this is why you aren't in charge of security.

Every college campus I've been on has armed security/campus PD. It's standard. Even the community college in my small, relatively crime-free hometown has armed security.

Our security officers are awesome at their jobs and care a great deal about the students. Plus they give us free pizza and ice cream on occasion. Their presence should not be considered a negative. KCU might not be in the nicest part of town, but I've never felt unsafe walking to campus from CT or anywhere on campus. I only ask for an escort home when I don't have any friends to walk with late at night.

And another thing to add - studying medicine in this kind of neighborhood is humbling. The school does a lot for the people in this neighborhood. Just one example: at the school's 100th birthday party last fall, they gave out bikes to the kids, many of them refugees. Those kids have almost nothing and to them it meant a great deal. There's also Score 1, the student clinic, med student for a day...I feel honored to be attending a school that does so much for its community.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
To be clear I wasn't worried about the security personal themselves being bad.... Just the fact that high level of security is needed to protect students.

Also all the responses I'm getting seem to be personal attacks implying I'm intolerant/offensive etc. No one has said anything I stated is factually incorrect. So anyone reading this who wants to keep a neutral perspective, just know that I described is what I saw.

If that doesnt bother you than great!

Also anyone reading whose wondering. The CT buildings are very close to the school. You you cross one streetlight to get there. Some people are using that as evidence the whole area is safe.

No nothing you've said is incorrect though maybe exaggerated. If you didn't feel safe and don't like the curriculum then, assuming you're accepted, say no thanks and move on. That being said, they state the curriculum is hard so that you are fully aware of what you're signing up for. It's proven to produce very good board scores which is what it was designed to do. If you would rather have an easier (relatively speaking) curriculum then again KCU isn't the school for you. Good luck with your decision mate.

Reactions: 1 user
That awkward moment when you get a financial aid email from KCU and you haven't heard back from your interview yet... :whistle:

Gave me a freaking heart attack for a second...

That awkward moment when you get a financial aid email from KCU and you haven't heard back from your interview yet... :whistle:

Gave me a freaking heart attack for a second...

Haha oh no! What did the email entail by the way? I haven't gotten it and need to start that process soon lol

Haha oh no! What did the email entail by the way? I haven't gotten it and need to start that process soon lol

Just essentially apply for FAFSA, here is our code. Then pretty much all the steps that follow - entrance counseling, etc.

As you are an already accepted student, I figure you should be getting it soon :laugh: but if you don't, I can always send you what I just got if you'd like to see!

Just essentially apply for FAFSA, here is our code. Then pretty much all the steps that follow - entrance counseling, etc.

As you are an already accepted student, I figure you should be getting it soon :laugh: but if you don't, I can always send you what I just got if you'd like to see!

Haha I appreciate that! I'm going to call the admissions office quick just so I make sure to get the info.

OMG ACCEPTED INTO KCU-COM KANSAS CITY CAMPUS! I'M GONNA BE A PHYSICIAN!!

Mots likely matriculating unless my IS DO school gives me love, affection, and selection.

OMG I'm SO happy I don't have to wait another year because I was really preparing for it!

Reactions: 17 users
Accepted to Joplin Campus, guess that financial aid email makes sense now!

Accepted to the Joplin Campus. Is it possible to switch to the KC campus or is this pretty much set in stone?

Accepted to the Joplin Campus. Is it possible to switch to the KC campus or is this pretty much set in stone?

Wondering the same thing. I have an acceptance that I'd take over the Joplin campus (I think...) but if I could somehow switch to KC, I would be 100% matriculating.

Edit: I think I remember them saying you could not do this at my interview, but I know it has been asked here before so wanted to see if anyone got a solid answer post-acceptance?

Does anyone know how admissions places applicants into either KC or Joplin? Still waiting to hear back, but really enjoyed KC during the interview

Does anyone know how admissions places applicants into either KC or Joplin? Still waiting to hear back, but really enjoyed KC during the interview

They sent an e-mail to me before I got my interview invitation asking my campus preference and why. There was also an option for being happy with either.

Interviewing here in early March! Any advice on places to stay (or not stay) in the area? Also any bar/food recommendations??

Wondering the same thing. I have an acceptance that I'd take over the Joplin campus (I think...) but if I could somehow switch to KC, I would be 100% matriculating.

Edit: I think I remember them saying you could not do this at my interview, but I know it has been asked here before so wanted to see if anyone got a solid answer post-acceptance?

+1

Interviewing here in early March! Any advice on places to stay (or not stay) in the area? Also any bar/food recommendations??

816 hotel is great. Breakfast and I think an alcoholic beverage at the bar for free and they take you to the school.

Bar/food: q39 (the best), char bar, joes BBQ, Jack Stack BBQ, Brgr (this is at power and light district)

If you have time walk around Power and Light District and/or the plaza.

They sent an e-mail to me before I got my interview invitation asking my campus preference and why. There was also an option for being happy with either.

Thanks for the reply! I filled it out prior to my II and put that I did not have a preference (because I wanted to increase my chances by being open to both campuses at the time). But after the interview, I really liked KC and am hoping that I can get in there if accepted.

Guess I should have been more specific and asked how they choose which campus we get placed in if we put no preference on the survey. Does anyone know?

emailed the admissions office and they said that once you got accepted to either KC or Joplin campus, the decision is final.

Accepted today to Joplin campus! I had the chance to visit Joplin and spend a day there before my interview in KC and actually preferred the Joplin area over KC. For anyone accepted and planning on attending the Joplin campus I think you will be pleasantly surprised :)

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted today to Joplin campus! I had the chance to visit Joplin and spend a day there before my interview in KC and actually preferred the Joplin area over KC. For anyone accepted and planning on attending the Joplin campus I think you will be pleasantly surprised :)

The joplin campus will be awesome especially having two great hospitals affiliated with the school. In all honesty I think joplin will have stronger clinical rotations than the KC campus for now until KC starts to develop its relationship with the HCA hospital system here and build more residency programs with tighter clinical rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
OMG ACCEPTED INTO KCU-COM KANSAS CITY CAMPUS! I'M GONNA BE A PHYSICIAN!!

Mots likely matriculating unless my IS DO school gives me love, affection, and selection.

OMG I'm SO happy I don't have to wait another year because I was really preparing for it!

Yayayayyayayayayayay I've been pulling for you! Congratulations!!!! (But also still hoping you get that IS DO love, affection, and selection :D)

emailed the admissions office and they said that once you got accepted to either KC or Joplin campus, the decision is final.

Thank you! I figured that was the case!

Man I really wish they had done interviews at Joplin for the Joplin campus even just to get a feel for the area. I wonder if they plan on giving tours of the school anytime soon for prospective students...

Thank you! I figured that was the case!

Man I really wish they had done interviews at Joplin for the Joplin campus even just to get a feel for the area. I wonder if they plan on giving tours of the school anytime soon for prospective students...

the accepted student day for Joplin is on May 13th.